Give me your thoughts on this Power ranking on the Bills

HOUSE

One sentence. I can't get past the "minimalism" of the piece.

The one thing I respect about people's work regardless of the quality, is the effort.

It's always easy to tell when a writer has worked hard at their work and if a person is not talented enough to produce good quality, I'll give them a pass if they try hard.

As for the #12 ranking, I'm glad training camp has started. The time for speculation is almost over. The time for results is growing close.

Thirteen more days till the preseason opener!

personally I can't be an honest fan and look at that and say we should be at number 12 were simply not that good in real game situations yet. I hope we will be there but the lions, eagles, saints, broncos, and maybe even the chiefs are all better based on what they have shown. I think the chargers are way overrated in this as well and that the giants and steelers should be flipped. A pretty awful piece. Before anyone criticizes me for being a hater I think the bills can be good but we don't deserve all that credit over a team such as the saints with proven results hopefully we will though.

Power rankings before training camp/preseason ugh.

I'm surprised they put the Bills as high as 12.

Biggest shocker to me was the Giants at #6, as if their SB win was a fluke. Eli Manning and the Giants D not getting much respect. This is a D where Osi Umeniyora is a BACKUP. Wrap your mind around that.

Texans at #8 runner up to me - he mentions loss of Mario Williams, but Williams was injured last year and they had a helluva D without him. This is a team that got to the playoffs on their THIRD STRING QB. "Nuff said.

3rd place shock - Lions at #13, below Bills. Fitz might become a top-echelon QB (top 10, not top 5). Stafford already is one, and the Lions D is evil, provided Fairley can avoid arrest and Suh keeps his temper. Some respect, please.

So I guess I must have enjoyed the article, since it shocked me :oops:

Biggest shocker to me was the Giants at #6, as if their SB win was a fluke. Eli Manning and the Giants D not getting much respect. This is a D where Osi Umeniyora is a BACKUP. Wrap your mind around that.

Texans at #8 runner up to me - he mentions loss of Mario Williams, but Williams was injured last year and they had a helluva D without him. This is a team that got to the playoffs on their THIRD STRING QB. "Nuff said.

3rd place shock - Lions at #13, below Bills. Fitz might become a top-echelon QB (top 10, not top 5). Stafford already is one, and the Lions D is evil, provided Fairley can avoid arrest and Suh keeps his temper. Some respect, please.

Detroit's 2011 final defensive stats

23rd in total defense

22nd total passing defense

23rd total rushing defense

23rd points per game allowed

23rd total points allowed/game

My link

Agree with your points about the G-Men and the Texans....not sure you can call Detroit's defense "evil" though.

personally I can't be an honest fan and look at that and say we should be at number 12 were simply not that good in real game situations yet. I hope we will be there but the lions, eagles, saints, broncos, and maybe even the chiefs are all better based on what they have shown. I think the chargers are way overrated in this as well and that the giants and steelers should be flipped. A pretty awful piece. Before anyone criticizes me for being a hater I think the bills can be good but we don't deserve all that credit over a team such as the saints with proven results hopefully we will though.

How do you figure? With some of the teams being farther along? We beat up on the eagles chiefs and broncos and peytons comeback is not guaranteed by any means... as for the lions they started out winning, yes. But they had a TON of comeback games so how good are they really? As for our rating i agree its a little high but not much..

quick hits

4. San Francisco 49ers - let me use the first line in the synopsis - It's highly unlikely

5. Dallas Cowboys - It's highly unlikely

6. Giants - Really? The defending Chanps?

12. Buffalo Bills - The Bills may or may not be a popular sleeper team .. Which I belive may be true .... I am a bit surprised @ 12

17. New Orleans Saints - Will the suspensions give them that much of a disadvantage? Barry Switzer - meaning if you have the talent .....

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

23rd in total defense

My link

Agree with your points about the G-Men and the Texans....not sure you can call Detroit's defense "evil" though.

Valid points....I think evil is the right term...they have guys on the line who bring the nasty on every play. Not dominating or smothering, no, they aren't there. Evil, verging on dirty.

As far as ranking, I look hardest at points allowed/game since that's the bottom line - where the Giants, who undoubtedly have a strong D and won the Superbowl, are 25th. Which to me says that stats aren't the be-all and end-all - what matters in the end is if you score more points than you give up and "get it together" at the right times. Like the Giants, as I recall the Lions struggled with injuries on D in 2011 and then there was the Suh suspension.

But if we are doing stats, Bills were 30th in the league on D where Giants were 23rd, and our offense was 14th in the league where Detroit was 4th, 4th! So what's the logic in power-ranking Bills above Detroit based upon stats?

I do think the Bills will live up to the number 12 ranking. I am surprised that they are rated that high. I would rather have them exceed expectations than fail like Philly did last year. They are ranked number 2 in their division which is where most optimists hope they will be. If they finished one in the AFC East I think we all would be shocked and delighted.

1343358142[/url]' post='2514362']

Considering half the teams you reference as being better than the Bills were out scored by said Bills 112-45, you ARE a hater.

too much is being made of LAST year in these comments. anyone can rank teams the way they finished last year, i don't think that's the point. there will be a lot of turnover, so try and predict it.

Giants had a good run, but they also had things go their way; Packers could not catch a cold in that game, 49'ers probably should have won, and they are perfectly built to be the Pats foil. no doubt they played really well in that stretch, but they also were 9-7 and gave UP more points than they scored on the season! so i can see 6th. Cowboys at 5 may seem a stretch, but they have the talent, and until the last week of the season were the best team in the division. results may not back that, but again, it's a fair enough prediction. and the Lions? who knows... despite 3 good D-lineman, their D was torched last year and all these are arrests certainly bring up some character concerns. not sold on them being top-notch.

as for the Bills, 12 is basically the last playoff spot, so it seems fair... a lot of us think that sounds about right. who is the competition for it? Bengals who we should've beat? Chiefs who we crushed? no reason it can't be us.

yes, i recognize a certain hypocrisy in pointing out lasts year's results there, but not saying you can't use it as a tool or all predictions would be random. of COURSE they have to prove it, but ranking teams completely after the fact is kinda stupid/pointless. let's just all agree Jacksonville will suck.

Lions are that low for what can be called we do not know how to deal with success. They have had 7 off season arrests. They could very well fall way back.

Bills do not deserve to be in the top 20.

Never allow a fan to rank his own division. :rolleyes: Letting someone who actually claims to be a Jags fan...do anything related to the NFL? No. Bad. :lol:

1. AFC South is retarded. You could say the same thing about the Texans(lost more than they gained), as the Titans, and he did...referring to 4 players. :blink: 8 is nuts for them. Sure they win the division...but the AFC South is poised to = NFC West. Why does Jacksonville have a "manageable schedule"? They(and Philly) have more games against quality opponents, 8, than anybody Don't all the teams in this division have pretty much the same schedule? Even if they don't, why is Indy then so low, with their < Jags schedule? Titans have an even easier schedule. I know who plays QB for Indy, and he has an even shot to be the best in the division, right now. Who plays QB for the Jags? Titans? Is Schaub gtg? Whatever, too many contradictions with these rankings vs. reasons for me.

2. #1 might explain why the NFC North is :blink: because Jags fan knows his team plays them this year? Detroit is too low. I'll see your 20s rankings on D...and raise you Megatron. Nuff said. That's why the Bears make little sense where they are, if Detroit is where they are. Anybody remember the Bears O line from last pre-season? It was pathetic, and that was last year's defense. He talks about Cutler being hurt....and yet...nothing as to why...or what they didn't do about their line? This guy has an irrational hatred for the Vikings....or he just doesn't know anything about them. Or, he thinks the Jags will: lose to the Bears and Pack(overrate), beat the Vikes and Lions(underrate).

3. What the hell are the Saints doing at 17? Seriously. WTF. The Chiefs....are better than the Saints by 3 slots? :lol: How about the Chargers, Bears, Cowboys, Texans? The Saints beat 6 teams ranked ahead of them last year, some twice.

4. Cowboys at 5 is idiocy. Yeah...lets base rankings on "will be more lucky this year". :lol: "Dallas could easily have won 12 games last year?" So could the Bills. :blink: A lot of teams "could have". Ahead of the Giants. Really. This smells like "I used to be a Cowboys fan, but then the Jags came to town". Which...also explains the Saints at 17. :lol:

I'm done with this. I could go on, but there's too many contradictions.

I know it's the off-season, but there's never an excuse for this level of silliness

23rd in total defense

My link

but you CAN call them consistent.

quick hits

4. San Francisco 49ers - let me use the first line in the synopsis - It's highly unlikely

5. Dallas Cowboys - It's highly unlikely

6. Giants - Really? The defending Chanps?

12. Buffalo Bills - The Bills may or may not be a popular sleeper team .. Which I belive may be true .... I am a bit surprised @ 12

17. New Orleans Saints - Will the suspensions give them that much of a disadvantage? Barry Switzer - meaning if you have the talent .....

Giants were 9-7. They got hot at the right time, but in another year or another division they don't even make the playoffs like that.