Brad Smith..Why is his spot supposedly safe?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy the saving a roster spot arguement. I would only carry two QB's. Fitz and VY. No one will pick up Thigpen if we cut him and who cares if some team does. If Fitz goes down for any length of time the season is lost anyways. I would add a project QB to the PS.

Smith is just not that good of a WR to keep regardless of his salary.

We have others that can catch the kick off in the endzone.

And I also agree I would save a roster spot by getting rid of Dwan Edwards. Use Smith's and Edwards' money to pay Levitre and Byrd.

I think many are a little too harsh on Brad Smith. For starters, he got the playbook the first day of training camp and couldn't practice until the 2nd week of camp. Then they had him learning all sorts of positions (QB, WR, RB, KR). I'd give him at least this year to show his worth, as the #3 QB and utility man. If the Bills have to go down to their 3rd string QB, they're screwed anyway.

And I also agree I would save a roster spot by getting rid of Dwan Edwards. Use Smith's and Edwards' money to pay Levitre and Byrd.

The Bills aren't under any cap constraints such that they are unable to extend Levitre and Byrd; and regardless, if you paid attention to anything Dave Wannstedt has been saying, you'd also realize he is a big Dwan Edwards fan.

They converted 3 third downs with Smith. 3.

He rendered the wildcat more useless than it naturally is becuse every team knew he was going to run.

His whole career, he has ONLY had value as a kick returner--never as a WR or QB. With 3 actual QBs and a slew or WRs, there is no reason to keep him except as a KR.

Actually he had 7 first downs, 4 obviously not on 3rd down. And that was low for him he usually averages about 12 rushing first downs a season. Add to that fact we gave up on the wildcat mid season. Let me do a quick check of other 3rd string QBs who have rushed for any 1st downs, when they aren't replacing an injured starting QB. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't get the fuss. The guy contributes aon offense nd has a role on the team, why complain.

I think many are a little too harsh on Brad Smith. For starters, he got the playbook the first day of training camp and couldn't practice until the 2nd week of camp. Then they had him learning all sorts of positions (QB, WR, RB, KR). I'd give him at least this year to show his worth, as the #3 QB and utility man. If the Bills have to go down to their 3rd string QB, they're screwed anyway.

I think we should have this statement from Doc as the closing statement when the discussion is winding down.

To the word. :thumbsup:

We had more than Brad Smith at a disadvantage with the lockout. It screwed us, being a young first and second year rookies thick team.

I want the antiwildcat and antiBradSmith folks to just let it ride this year.

Let Chan have his fun and see what comes of it.

Now as mentioned if it would affect Byrd and Andy boy well that wont do at all. But Brad Smith's money does not affect them be resigned asap.

so lets wait and see how the team looks at camp and preseason.

I would think Brad is working with Coach Lee enough to improve his position skills. Smith did sit in all the QB meetings this spring so they are giving him the whole treatment.

And not for nothing fellas. What do you think they are paying all that money to Tebow for.

Redzone and a pass run option that you have to plan for. yep.

we got Smith so the jets went out and they got t tebow.

i think we come out on top in this battle for the afc east.

geez lets get those pads on!! and get going.

It's not my money to throw around, and who am I to question the job they are doing right now. I think we have a roster full of guys who won't make another squad when cut; WHY are we woried about Smith? Do we want ruvall martin on the field more?

I'm not worried about Smith in the least.

I do enjoy discussing certain subjects and this is one of them. I'm more than happy to see how it plays out and I don't buy the argument that having Brad Smith around is gonna preclude us from keeping some of our other players (Levitre, Byrd).

When push comes to shove, the Bills will do what they have to in order to make a fair and good faith effort to re-sign those guys.

In the meantime I am hopeful but skeptical that Brad Smith will make me change my opinion of his signing. I hope I'm wrong but it's an interesting discussion, IMO.

Yes i agree the only way we keep Smith over a levitre or Byrd is if he outplays them and demonstrates he's more valauable. Which of course is to the teams benefit. *caveat: idk how Smith's guaranteed portion and cap number effect other potential resignings.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No questions. Just a few comments. I'm openly anti Wildcat and I fly that flag all day long. I'm also more on the side of the fence that's anti Smith. So I'll be the argument against the pro Smith/Wildcat people. To comment on your points.

1. I'll give you the multiple positions point. Not just because of the multiple positions but because of the new rule for the 3rd QB on gamedays. He's an extra player dressed and that's a good thing.

2. I somewhat agree with his success (if that's what you or anyone else wants to call it) on 3rd downs. As I've said, I don't disagree that he wasn't effective running the ball out of the wildcat but it's a 90% chance that when he's on the field it's a run up the middle and he barely gets the first down. Defenses know this, coaches know this, hell, even fans know this watching on TV. It's no secret. Are we to believe that Smith is a better ballcarrier than CJ or Freddy?probably not, so why would we use him and not them? Even if in the same formation the RBs should be better. If there's the argument about the threat of BS throwing the ball, he threw once last year and it was so horrible you should just pay an average fan $50 to go out there and toss a ball 15 yards away from any player on the field. And then I'll make the comment that because we all know it's a run up the middle then having the RBs run it out of a "normal" formation it at least gives a chance of a pass from Fitz and defenses have to respect that. They don't respect BS throwing at all.

3. As far as his lack of performance on kick returns and blaming the change in rules is pure bulls%#t. The fact that he was hindered by lack of time on the team and training camp time is also bull%#t. If it were true then why did the Jwts get better on return yardage after BS left (thank you SJBF). If tuatvwas true then why is it that a rookie (Rodgers) with the same amount of training in camps as BS outperform him no sweat? The experience on the team and the change in rules holds no water because the Jets and Rodgers both proved this to be wrong.

4. I really hope your right about this offseason being more sophisticated in the package and I hope Lee helps with this. I still think the formation is a gimmick and is a joke only because it leaves no options. BS or almost ANY player in the NFL set for this position is going to run and not throw. It doesn't fool anyone and hasn't since the first year it was introduced by the Phins. With no real threat to throw accurately it's just not effective.

In the end, if it works this year and we play it to perfection I'll eat crow with no salt, pepper or hot sauce. I'll do it gladly too. I really hope I'm wrong. But if we lose either Byrd or Levitre because we don't have enough money to go around and this guy has another year that doesn't open eyes then I'll be extremely pissed. I think most would. I don't even want to get into the posts this site will get into next offseason when we let one of these guys hit the FA market meanwhile BS is cozy in the Bills locker room taking up not only a roster spot but $4m a year.

One can argue that Wild cat was the base offense that Denver used with Tebow in back field last year. It worked well enough that it got them into the playoffs. Jets picked up Tebow specifically to replace Smith, and they stated that losing him was a huge blow to their packages last year. We also where not the only team bidding on his services last year, and there even was a mention of replacing Smith made by the Jets in their news conferences about trading for Tebow.

While it is true that his one pass last year looked awful, he did spend time at qb this off season to get his passing game back up to snuff somewhat. As mentioned, he probably never will be a NFL starting caliber QB passing wise, the same has been said about Tebow.

Several people keep mentioning using Vince Young as an option, but he is having a hard enough time learning the base playbook, and they are looking for him to be the backup QB primarily. They don't want to complicate things with him by adding more formations and the whole option passing system to complicate his learning curve. Thats not saying that once he learns the offense, or if he does, that they may add other packages for him.

As far as the put a rb back there cause who needs a threat of pass, I use the Tebow reference as main reason. If you sold out to stop him running, he would be able to hit the occasional big play on you. If you implement the full WC offence, there is a pretty complicated option system that can be implemented to take advantage of what the defense shows you. The Jets implemented a good portion of that when Smith was their QB and think that is what the Bills are planning on doing this offseason. Unless you run allot of wildcat plays however, probably will not get more than one or two passes a year out of the formation.

I think the Wild cat is a gimic, but as said by our Coach, the more things you give you opponents to prepare for the less time they get to put in anything specific for you.

This has been a very interesting thread. How the heck do we just want to cut Brad Smith and get nothing for him? If it was, say, Tashard Choice, Donald Jones, or Spencer Johnson, or even Dwan Edwards I would be less puzzled but this guy is on the last year of his contract offers this team something that no other player on this roster can and has a full year of experience.

I don't understand why Brad Smith is destined to be the #3 QB.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ab6ade/article/vince-young-tyler-thigpen-battle-for-bills-backup-job

They hardly used the Wildcat last year and I think Vince Young could run it just as well and maybe better than Smith. Young can run and he would be a true passing threat. Smith did next to nothing last year as a returner. I would rather we keep an extra DB that can return or a younger WR than Smith. And I would rather they trade for or grab a project QB from the waiver wire.

Just don't see the need to keep him and his contract. Use that money to resign Levitre and Byrd.

Please someone tell me what I am missing???

I agree to a lot of what you said but the one thing that Smith has going for him (& i can't believe i'm actually going to put in a plug for this guy ) is his versatility . He is one guy that can play 3 different spots on your roster & be above average at all of them .

That is the only reason that they can keep him around . I personally like you would rather have a future draft pick or to pursue the maturation of Young b/c that could have potential ? But as a #3 Qb for now if he sticks i can stomach it ..

One can argue that Wild cat was the base offense that Denver used with Tebow in back field last year. It worked well enough that it got them into the playoffs. Jets picked up Tebow specifically to replace Smith, and they stated that losing him was a huge blow to their packages last year. We also where not the only team bidding on his services last year, and there even was a mention of replacing Smith made by the Jets in their news conferences about trading for Tebow.

While it is true that his one pass last year looked awful, he did spend time at qb this off season to get his passing game back up to snuff somewhat. As mentioned, he probably never will be a NFL starting caliber QB passing wise, the same has been said about Tebow.

Several people keep mentioning using Vince Young as an option, but he is having a hard enough time learning the base playbook, and they are looking for him to be the backup QB primarily. They don't want to complicate things with him by adding more formations and the whole option passing system to complicate his learning curve. Thats not saying that once he learns the offense, or if he does, that they may add other packages for him.

As far as the put a rb back there cause who needs a threat of pass, I use the Tebow reference as main reason. If you sold out to stop him running, he would be able to hit the occasional big play on you. If you implement the full WC offence, there is a pretty complicated option system that can be implemented to take advantage of what the defense shows you. The Jets implemented a good portion of that when Smith was their QB and think that is what the Bills are planning on doing this offseason. Unless you run allot of wildcat plays however, probably will not get more than one or two passes a year out of the formation.

I think the Wild cat is a gimic, but as said by our Coach, the more things you give you opponents to prepare for the less time they get to put in anything specific for you.

First of all were not Denver or the Jets. Were the Bills. I don't want to copy anyone elses gimmick crap plays.

Second: Brad Smith is not Tim Tebow. If Tebow woke up tomorrow and was as bad as Brad Smith he jump out a F^*KIN window.

Third: Tebow didn't lead the Broncos to the playoffs. The defense did and the rest of the team won in spite of him. He was so good at wgat he did that Elway took the earliest possible change at that position and traded his gimmicky QB away for nothing.

I'll concede that we need to give BS anofher year but I doubt he will do anything more than last year. He got the same amount of time to practice as some of the rookies last year and they actually produced a little bit. Even thought kickoffs were changed by the league the Jets had a better return game without him and Rogers did with us comming in after Smith sucked so bad. Smith NEVER took one out of the endzone yet Rogers almost always tried it. Are we to believe that the coaches told Smith to down it but told Rogers to take a chance? Not likely considering he's a rookie. Are we really going to accept his okay at WR as descent? He had his 2nd best year EVER at the position statistically and that was one of the worst showings I've seen. I'd much rather save a roster spot for another late round or undrafted rookie WR that might actually be able to perform in time. The only thing BS has going for him is the fact that he can fill in (horribly) at multiple positions and he's an extra guy dressed on Sundays because of his position. As far as picking up a few first downs... Whoopdido!!! 3 in 3rd and short and another 4 from different downs. Not a big deal. 7 is not setting the world in fire. Sure it keeps drives alive but I still argue that any RB (especially one with a 5.0+ average that was in the running for the MVP) should be able to pick up that yardage most of the time from the RB position. And if we really want to get fancy and actually run the "Gimmick-cat" then put someone that's actually good at something back there. BS can't run or pass, he sucks at both positions. If Fred was back there at least you'd have a descent runner back there. As far as QBs go, Smith might possibly be the worst player in the league throwing the football with the QB title. At this point ll give credit where it is due, Chan was able to be proactive about the position and I applaud him for that. At the end of the day I still think the wildcat is a joke and I think BS is a joke but I'm willing to cheer for anyone wearing a Bills uniform and I'm willing to give him another yer to prove he's not as useless as he was last year.

This has been a very interesting thread. How the heck do we just want to cut Brad Smith and get nothing for him? If it was, say, Tashard Choice, Donald Jones, or Spencer Johnson, or even Dwan Edwards I would be less puzzled but this guy is on the last year of his contract offers this team something that no other player on this roster can and has a full year of experience.

Maybe I'm not reading you right, but Brad Smith is on the 2nd year of a 4 year contract.

First off, The reason why not just let VY run the WC options is because he can't. If he is kept over Thigpen, he's the #2 QB and he can't come in for just 1-2 plays. If he is put in, that means Fitz is taken out of the game and Young is the QB. The new #3 QB/Wildcat QB rule put in last year allows the #3 QB to come in and replace the starter and not require that the starter be removed from the game.

Another reason why he will be kept and his job is safe, he is versatile and can play multiple positions. He may not be the best player at each position, but thats not what they need from him. If he was great at one of them, he would be starting at that position. He is an emergency backup QB (he won't be more then the #3 QB, if young or Fitz goes down, they will bring in a replacement for them), he can return kicks if needed, and can fill in at WR if they get hit with injuries again. Having a guy that can fill 3 emergency spots is much better then having a backup who can only fill 1-2 spots

He may not be as good an athlete as Tebow, but he gives the Bills the same type of player as Tebow and can run similar type of offensive plays. The point that was made about Tebow was that the Jets missed having a player like Smith in their offence and because of that, they felt the need to go out and get Tebow.

As for Smiths contract keeping the Bills from being able to re-sign Levitre and Byrd, don't be a moron, His contract will have nothing to do with them getting re-signed. If it did, the Bills are in so much more trouble then any of us could ever imagine.

First off, The reason why not just let VY run the WC options is because he can't. If he is kept over Thigpen, he's the #2 QB and he can't come in for just 1-2 plays. If he is put in, that means Fitz is taken out of the game and Young is the QB. The new #3 QB/Wildcat QB rule put in last year allows the #3 QB to come in and replace the starter and not require that the starter be removed from the game.

Another reason why he will be kept and his job is safe, he is versatile and can play multiple positions. He may not be the best player at each position, but thats not what they need from him. If he was great at one of them, he would be starting at that position. He is an emergency backup QB (he won't be more then the #3 QB, if young or Fitz goes down, they will bring in a replacement for them), he can return kicks if needed, and can fill in at WR if they get hit with injuries again. Having a guy that can fill 3 emergency spots is much better then having a backup who can only fill 1-2 spots

He may not be as good an athlete as Tebow, but he gives the Bills the same type of player as Tebow and can run similar type of offensive plays. The point that was made about Tebow was that the Jets missed having a player like Smith in their offence and because of that, they felt the need to go out and get Tebow.

As for Smiths contract keeping the Bills from being able to re-sign Levitre and Byrd, don't be a moron, His contract will have nothing to do with them getting re-signed. If it did, the Bills are in so much more trouble then any of us could ever imagine.

Thanks i had not considered that at all. great point so i will have to retract my statement that Vince could and would create a passing threat from the wildcat.

Lets hope Lee works his Mojo on B, Smith too and helps his passing skills!