RIP Booth Lusteg

KRC

I was expecting to see the story that some of my older Bills buddies have told me about… of Booth being physically beaten up by fans outside the Rockpile after that loss to San Diego.

RIP Booth.

Ha ha I remember that and Billy Shaw being really POed at him for missing that FG.

Ha ha I remember that and Billy Shaw being really POed at him for missing that FG.

Ok I'll bite. How long was the field goal, what was the situation, and what was the weather?

Ok I'll bite. How long was the field goal, what was the situation, and what was the weather?

23 yard FG, typical fall, cloudy day with no wind. All in all, Booth was a great fit for the community, beat out by Mike Mercer in 67 who did not do much other than the first week win against the Jets.

IIRC, he was beat with a tire iron or something like that, perhaps outside of a bar the night after the miss. Hard to know the real story.

RIP Booth.

My neighbor said he was on Best Street with his uni on and got jumped. Fish tale?

My neighbor said he was on Best Street with his uni on and got jumped. Fish tale?

This newspaper column says it was three fans who waited for him after the game.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-01-25/sports/9101250199_1_inferiority-snows-joke/2

This one says three fans forced his car over a curb and then beat the crap out of him, and then the next day at practice Lustig said, "I deserve it." Ha.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-01-26/news/9101050360_1_buffalo-bills-owner-penn-state-super-bowl-xxiii

It probably happened in some way.

I do remember it happening on Best Street.

i do not recall it happening on best street. it might have, but i was about 15 at the time and thought he was walking up delaware, could be wrong, but regardless, he was attacked after missing the field goal.. true story.

Edited by dwight in philly

I was expecting to see the story that some of my older Bills buddies have told me about… of Booth being physically beaten up by fans outside the Rockpile after that loss to San Diego.

RIP Booth.

Could you imagine if he would have missed the kick to win the Super Bowl?

Could you imagine if he would have missed the kick to win the Super Bowl?

I was one of those in Niagara Square when we all "forgave" Scotty.

The thing is, that team was so ridiculously talented at the time that I believe that most Bills fans really believed we'd go back and win one.

Probably a significant percentage of the people who forgave Scotty at that moment have changed their minds on that account.

On the other hand many of us know that there were no less than 5 plays in that game that would have made the difference in our favor… and that Levy/Marchibroda/Kelly bear a lot of the blame for going pass happy… and that the Giants owned the ball for about 21 minutes of the game between the end of the first half and the start of the second half… so I'm one of those who don't blame Scotty.

It was truly a team loss. Sorry for the tangent.

But yeah, if they beat up Booth for missing a field goal in the regular season in a game we tied, imagine what those same fans would have done to Scotty.

:)

This newspaper column says it was three fans who waited for him after the game.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1991-01-25/sports/9101250199_1_inferiority-snows-joke/2

This one says three fans forced his car over a curb and then beat the crap out of him, and then the next day at practice Lustig said, "I deserve it." Ha.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-01-26/news/9101050360_1_buffalo-bills-owner-penn-state-super-bowl-xxiii

It probably happened in some way.

I was thinking it was probably a bit of an exaggeration until I read those articles. They say that the game of football has really changed since those days, I guess the fans have too. I mean could you even imagine something like that happening nowadays? Helicopter footage of Scott Norwood weaving through traffic trying to outdistance an overloaded SUV packed with enraged Bills fans(Oh wait, I don't think he lived here during his time with us.) On the other hand they were picking on a kicker, I don't think there's enough booze in Rich Stadium for anyone to square up with Kelsay over his poor linebacker play last year, and I don't think anyone's gonna chase down Levitre for snapping the ball like a crazy nut at center either. ;)