What was the Scariest , Frightening Moment in Life

millbank

Pit bull and a boxer attacked me and my pup on a scenic back-road.

Really thought they were going to kill him and possibly me. Ended up with hand bites and my dog had some pieces of torn flesh in ~5 minutes before the owner heard the shouting, came outside and pinned them down.

And come to find that these were socialized, obedience-trained dogs. Alaska Darin et al. come here and say that they have to be taught to fight or not taught anything. And I used to agree with that.

Suffice to say that my view of pit bulls/fighting breeds changed utterly that day. Until you experience the business end of a pit bull or other breed whose instinct, once it's on, is to bite and not let go your opinion is :censored: ing WORTHLESS.

I'm curious to know how they were "socialized, obedience-trained". As a responsible pet owner, I don't let my dogs run free in my yard without supervision. Not because they'd do anything on their own, but because there are people who antagonize and then play victim (I'm not saying you did that - at all). Anyone who lets large breed dogs run free is asking for trouble, especially if their dogs have any kind of prey drive.

Dogs aren't any different than humans. A small percentage of them are subject to doing things that seem mind-boggling and completely out of kilter with their normal behavior. I'd be VERY surprised if what happened to you wasn't a manifestation of many minor "incidents" that were basically ignored, or even praised by the owner(s). It really sucks that you were the victim.

I'm a dog person but I'm VERY leery of large breed dogs who I don't know. They have tremendous destructive power. I've also taken classes on dealing with them, so I'm somewhat comfortable in most of those situations.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are making me regret waiting to get my driver's permit.

My story is when I was around 7-9 years old. I was up in Buffalo (I used to go up there every summer when I was a kid) and I was visiting my Grandpa, who lives in Lackawanna. Since I was a train fanatic then, he took my sister and me to the Fran&Ceils that was in the area and we went to the train tracks right before the steel factory. He said that everyday around when the church-bell-thing struck 3, all the trains would pass by the area and sure enough there was 1 or two trains every 10 minutes.

Anyways, after we finished our ice cream, he taught us what happens when you put pennies on a train track when a train goes by. He gave both my sister and me 5 pennies to try out. Well since there were 3 tracks at the one conjunction(?) I split my pennies and put them on the two outside tracks and my sister put hers on the inside track.

So after a minute or so, I hear the train whistle coming from the left and I realize that it was coming on the track nearest to us, where my sisters pennies weren't. The train was moving pretty slow so I bolted for the tracks and pick up two of my sister's pennies, thinking I was helping. As I picked them up, I hear a train whistle coming from the right, turning the bend (I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the area but on the right side of the road, the tracks take a sharp turn around the corner and disappears behind the vegetation) and it was coming fast. So in one quick motion, I stoop down, and in one motion putt down the pennies in my hand on the closer track, and jump. (Thinking back on it, I think I jumped because I saw this one older movie with my mom where the guys foot gets stuck on the railroad track and he gets run over by a train. I don't think he died, only lost his leg but the way the movie edited it, it seemed like he died.)

I clear the track and slide down the hill of stones and get up, beginning to run when I hear an 18 wheeler horn. I look up and there's this truck that I didn't see about 5 yards away from me. I think that if I kept on running, I was going to get run over. The truck driver waves me across, and I jog across the street, feeling like a dumb ass. As I look at my grandpa, I see him taking off his belt and I knew was going to get it; couldn't sit for the next day.

For some reason, I still liked going to the spot to watch trains and flatten pennies when I go up there but every time I hear an 18 wheeler horn, I get the chills.

Edited by Teen Insight

Two moments for me, although they are nothing like what Levi or BillsFanNC went through.

1) The 1989 San Andreas Earthquake. I was getting ready to deliver newspapers, yes I had a paper route and this was back in the day when they still had evening editions, and then I heard the rumble and the ground started shaking. I had never been outside during an earthquake, and I definitely picked the right one to be outside for. It probably only lasted 20-30 seconds, but it felt longer. Telephone poles were swaying back and forth like palm trees in severe winds, car alarms are going off and I saw several cats running for safety. Once it was over I went ahead and started my paper route. During that time I saw many people standing outside their houses listening to their car radios, a lot of houses had lost power. It wasn't until then that I realized how devastating the earthquake had been. Stories coming out of Santa Cruz and San Francisco were frightening, the freeway collapsing and the section of the Bay Bridge breaking apart. I actually thought I heard people say that the entire Bay Bridge had collapsed; but that of course was false. Despite the severity of the earthquake, the city where I live in, San Jose, got off pretty easy, with no major damage happening. Still it left you with a feeling as if the world was ending. I would get nervous from the rumbling of an 18 wheeler driving by. Feeling mother nature's awesome power can definitely give you pause.

2) The day Nancy Pelosi became speaker of the house. :o

When I found out about the place I took a look... I took into hell. Never even going to think about posting there, one reason being they speak Greenglish (a mixture of Greek and English)

You'd survive about three posts.

I'm curious to know how they were "socialized, obedience-trained". As a responsible pet owner, I don't let my dogs run free in my yard without supervision. Not because they'd do anything on their own, but because there are people who antagonize and then play victim (I'm not saying you did that - at all). Anyone who lets large breed dogs run free is asking for trouble, especially if their dogs have any kind of prey drive.

Dogs aren't any different than humans. A small percentage of them are subject to doing things that seem mind-boggling and completely out of kilter with their normal behavior. I'd be VERY surprised if what happened to you wasn't a manifestation of many minor "incidents" that were basically ignored, or even praised by the owner(s). It really sucks that you were the victim.

I'm a dog person but I'm VERY leery of large breed dogs who I don't know. They have tremendous destructive power. I've also taken classes on dealing with them, so I'm somewhat comfortable in most of those situations.

I don't remember the exact course, but during the settlement, their insurance company pointed that out and the judge basically :rolleyes: like 'What the ---- does that matter? The dog attacked and bit them.' The owners destroyed the dog about two months after the incident. I wrote socialized by the Facebook pictures they had of it with people and other dogs; I get that this isn't a diagnosis but it's just a judgment call. Allowing the dogs to be in a situation so as to come across the road at us was pretty stevestojanny, but I get the impression that they weren't terrible owners otherwise. My father was an ACO for 20 years when I was young and I often went along, just to qualify.

My opinion of pit bulls / cane corsos / fighting breeds has definitely been imprinted. I don't see why anyone would want one other than to show off how tough they think they are. And all too often, even if they are trained and such there come moments where they are too much dog for the owner to handle. You see the papers and read about kids and even adults being mauled and killed. I respect your beliefs, as I've read numerous times here. But as I wrote, until you've been on the business end of an attack by one of these, you're talking theory. I normally hate gov't intervention like soda bans, etc. but I think these breeds ought to be ordered out of the genepool. Familiar breeds might bite at similar rates or whatever the statistics are, but the thing is that when a Golden or a poodle or a lab bites, it's usually quick and a nip. When pit bulls and fighting breeds bite, they don't let go.

You mean you would not take him under your wing and show him the way?

Edit: Send him to MDP. He could learn a lot.

More like... Tom would go all Hannibal Lecter vs. 'Multiple' Miggs, and calmly coerce the lad to swallow and choke to death on his own tongue.

Edited by UConn James

You mean you would not take him under your wing and show him the way?

Edit: Send him to MDP. He could learn a lot.

Nope. It's my duty in life - well, one of them - to beat the ever-loving crap out of the naively ignorant. One cannot acquire knowledge until one admits one knows nothing - only an empty vessel can be filled.

It's a very Zen/Socratic philosophy. Administered with a sledgehammer.

My only child was born ....... dead. They revived him and took me aside and told me " No one will blame you if you institutionalize him ..... he will never drive a car, go on a date, feed himself, sit up by himself and he probably won't survive the week" , etc...... I sat numb for awhile, and after a few days at the hospital I finally drove home while family stayed with him. I was a mad man on the way home. crying, screaming, cursing, pleading scared to death, trying to figure out why it happened, how will I take care of him, what kind of life can he possibly have ...... He's 9 now and although being a single dad of a profoundly disabled little boy is not always easy, it's not that scary anymore.

My only child was born ....... dead. They revived him and took me aside and told me " No one will blame you if you institutionalize him ..... he will never drive a car, go on a date, feed himself, sit up by himself and he probably won't survive the week" , etc...... I sat numb for awhile, and after a few days at the hospital I finally drove home while family stayed with him. I was a mad man on the way home. crying, screaming, cursing, pleading scared to death, trying to figure out why it happened, how will I take care of him, what kind of life can he possibly have ...... He's 9 now and although being a single dad of a profoundly disabled little boy is not always easy, it's not that scary anymore.

You rule.

Gus and you rule Third!

Our next door neighbors are going through the same exact thing with their 17 year old daughter...

Pit bulls are scary as sh#t. I was playing in a pickup basketball in Brooklyn and one of the guys brought his pitbull. I get into A very minor shoving match with him on court. Thankfully his dog was on a chain. It gives me the cold death stare of the terminator. And vertically launches itself to eye level. Freaky athletic like flying shark mouth. Would have done the Miami cannibal on me if it wasnt chained.

If I were to ever admit to any semblance of sentimentality, I might be forced to admit that I do think of you and Gus on occasion.

Of course, I'd never admit to sentimentality...

If I were to ever admit to any semblance of sentimentality, I might be forced to admit that I do think of you and Gus on occasion.

Of course, I'd never admit to sentimentality...

I think you just did, and did it on purpose. ;)

Nope. It's my duty in life - well, one of them - to beat the ever-loving crap out of the naively ignorant. One cannot acquire knowledge until one admits one knows nothing - only an empty vessel can be filled.

It's a very Zen/Socratic philosophy. Administered with a sledgehammer.

Are you sure you're not my father?