Condi being vetted for VP?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes one exception from 1856 and a male.

Condi would be first in 156 years, 2nd ever, first female. Her gender could be even more problematic coming across as cold and unrelatable for apparently choosing not to have been a mother.

It's not an "exception". You said Condi would be first. You were wrong.

I haven't read this thread, so maybe someone already said this, but I'm against the whole concept. Nothing against Cunnilingus Rice, I'm sure she's as qualified as the next person, but it reeks of identity politics. If she was a white man with the same credentials and demeanor I'd doubt so many would be so excited about her.

The guy who's all excited about her is the same guy who loves to tell you how much respect he has for Colon Powell, how smart JC Watts is, and how attractive he finds Venus Williams. That guy just needs to get a shirt that says "I'm not racist" and move on.

I haven't read this thread, so maybe someone already said this, but I'm against the whole concept. Nothing against Cunnilingus Rice, I'm sure she's as qualified as the next person, but it reeks of identity politics. If she was a white man with the same credentials and demeanor I'd doubt so many would be so excited about her.

The guy who's all excited about her is the same guy who loves to tell you how much respect he has for Colon Powell, how smart JC Watts is, and how attractive he finds Venus Williams. That guy just needs to get a shirt that says "I'm not racist" and move on.

Wow, not only did you not read the thread, but you're against the whole concept. Then you make an insulting reference to her name. Shocking. Really.

Nothing like libtards making pathetic attempts at faking some class or intelligence.

Wow, not only did you not read the thread, but you're against the whole concept. Then you make an insulting reference to her name. Shocking. Really.

Nothing like libtards making pathetic attempts at faking some class or intelligence.

:lol: I think this is the first time I've been accused of libtardem...maybe ever :lol:

And it's a Chapelle Show reference, Francis.

Medal-winner in Mitt Romney veep stakes won't be known until after Olympic Games : Ohio Sen. Rob Portman (3:1) and ex-Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty (8:1) head list of likely running mates

Sources close to the Romney campaign told the Daily News the working plan has been to announce the pick after the Olympic Games, which begin next week and conclude Aug. 12 — two weeks before the Republican convention in Tampa.

Probably will be Portman.

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

I've been speculating this for a couple weeks now. People I mention it to keep telling it won't happen.

Picking Biden shored up Obama's foreign policy creds in '08. Condi shores up Romney's foreign policy creds. Condi is a known quantity so the Media can't Palin her. Couple that with Condi being both black and a woman, and many a Lefty's head would explode.

I like to think that she is being vetted because she is brilliant and has foreign policy bona fides.

Her social views are a problem plus she'll cost him votes in WV, IA and FL (MS, AL, GA too but they are Romney locks anyway so no matter). Many in those states will just see her as an uppity n____ who they won't "sully themselves" to vote for. He'll alienate those who want to return to a traditionalism in American politics. He'll actually probably drive an entire demographic away from the GOP. It'll be this redux:

http://www.economist.com/node/17467202

Those who would like the choice are already behind Romney anyway - the pro business, highly educated corporate types, neo-conservative, latte-drinkers who straddle the fence and live in Fairfax County, VA.

What he needs is Grundy, VA and Applachia, and central NC, and Pittsburgh, and Huntington, WV. They will **** themselves with that GOP ticket and will express their dissatisfaction by staying home.

I LOVE the idea and think that she'd be a phenomenal choice but I don't see the political calculation being fruitful for him.

That's a good regional analysis except for failing to account for eatimg into obamas lock on the black vote. But there's a bigger problem with her being a single never married childless woman. Worst case she'll be proven or suspected as being a lesbian, and I'm sorry but the country isnt ready for that. Better but still problematic she'll be viewed as cold and somehow unfeminine for not having children. Again probably not fair, but you can kiss goodbye the ticket's claim to all-important "family values" theme. Things like this don't count when you're a presidential appointment bureaucrat.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That's a good regional analysis but there's a bigger problem with her being a single never married childless woman. Worst case she'll be proven or suspected as being a lesbian, and I'm sorry but the country isnt ready for that. Better but still problematic she'll be viewed as cold and somehow unfeminine for not having children. Again probably not fair, but you can kiss goodbye the ticket's claim to all-important "family values" theme. Things like this don't count when you're a presidential appointment bureaucrat.

Good point that I didn't consider. Your points, plus those that I mentioned in my post above, will hurt a Romney/Rice ticket.

Those states that have stark regional dichotomies with pronounced voting prowress in the respective regions - Fairfax, VA vs. Clinchco, VA; college triangle, NC vs. south-central, NC; Pittsburgh, PA and southwestern/south central PA vs. the rest of the state - will tell the tale. In all the independent-leaning areas, Romney already embodies the traits that Rice could lend. At most, he'll pick up a handful of independent female voters who want to make history. The Hillary voters are largely going to stay on board because she is Secretary of State and an instrumental figure in the administration.

But is does hurt him in those states' other voting half.

Good point that I didn't consider. Your points, plus those that I mentioned in my post above, will hurt a Romney/Rice ticket.

Those states that have stark regional dichotomies with pronounced voting prowress in the respective regions - Fairfax, VA vs. Clinchco, VA; college triangle, NC vs. south-central, NC; Pittsburgh, PA and southwestern/south central PA vs. the rest of the state - will tell the tale. In all the independent-leaning areas, Romney already embodies the traits that Rice could lend. At most, he'll pick up a handful of independent female voters who want to make history. The Hillary voters are largely going to stay on board because she is Secretary of State and an instrumental figure in the administration.

But is does hurt him in those states' other voting half.

She is... but she has announced that she would be leaving at the start of or shortly after a potential second term begins.

You know... so she can have some distance from Obama for when she runs in 2016.

That's a good regional analysis except for failing to account for eatimg into obamas lock on the black vote. But there's a bigger problem with her being a single never married childless woman. Worst case she'll be proven or suspected as being a lesbian, and I'm sorry but the country isnt ready for that. Better but still problematic she'll be viewed as cold and somehow unfeminine for not having children. Again probably not fair, but you can kiss goodbye the ticket's claim to all-important "family values" theme. Things like this don't count when you're a presidential appointment bureaucrat.

I doubt it would have much impact on the black vote or female vote. Anyone casting a vote for those reasons is going to vote D anyway. I think it would be treated (and I can't say unfairly) the way the Michael Steele thing was. Being neither black nor female I can't say for sure, but I think I'd be insulted that the campaign thought I'd be swayed by that. None of the black women I know, & I know quite a few, would change their vote on account of her.

It's a shame too because she'd probably be as good a pick as any based on qualifications as well as her ability to keep it classy and rise above the fray.

I don't know how it would shake out, neither do you, i'm just saying its something that would need to be analyzed and assessed. Especially considering it wouldn't take much to move the needle and lose BO some states. Consider n Carolina for example which BO won by the narrowest of margins 50-49%. a significant black vote and seemingly small black attrition rate could be the difference maker. Furthermore consider that McCain actually took the lions share of male voters but got stomped on by females, and BO could be looking at a double hit. But anyway as I concluded earlier he real reason i believe from both sides for keeping her off the ticket is the carpet licker factor. Now if she kept everything the same and added Michelle's mother and wifr background, different story. I don't see how she wouldn't be on the short list.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I don't know how it would shake out, neither do you, i'm just saying its something that would need to be analyzed and assessed. Especially considering it wouldn't take much to move the needle and lose BO some states. Consider n Carolina for example which BO won by the narrowest of margins 50-49%. a significant black vote and seemingly small black attrition rate could be the difference maker. Furthermore consider that McCain actually took the lions share of male voters but got stomped on by females, and BO could be looking at a double hit. But anyway as I concluded earlier he real reason i believe from both sides for keeping her off the ticket is the carpet licker factor. Now if she kept everything the same and added Michelle's mother and wifr background, different story. I don't see how she wouldn't be on the short list.

Again, the real reason to keep her off the ticket is "Bush Bad!"

She's "moderately" pro choice/life.

As much as she would appeal to some independents, she'd be a net negative choice for the base.

And you really think that's a decisive factor especially when it comes to the Veep? How much influence does the president even have on overturning roe v wade? A 7 - 2 supreme court ruling that abortion is a right under the constitution, that's stood for 40 years thru several republican administrations.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack