Is there a bounty on Stevie Johnson for week #2 ?

HOUSE

I found this on a Kansas City Website...SB Nation

2012 NFL Schedule: Chiefs-Bills, Don't Call It A Bounty

Now that the 2012 NFL schedule has been released everyone and their brother is coming out with their opinions and thoughts on their favorite teams' schedule, and whether or not they're happy with it. The story lines will begin to become more clear for each of the games as we get closer to them, but the week two match-up between the Kansas City Chiefs and Buffalo Bills already has its' story line.

It's Eric Berry Vs. Steve Johnson.

For those who don't remember, it was during these two teams' game last year that the Bills wide receiver threw a controversial chop block on the Chiefs safety. That block led to a torn ACL for Berry, the Chiefs Pro-Bowl safety, and caused him to miss the rest of the 2011 season. While the hit wasn't considered illegal, it didn't stop the play from being discussed nationally while Johnson went to the airwaves to defend his intentions. via Pro Football Talk.

"We get plays and coaches tell us what to do, and we go out and try to execute it. I went out there and did a chop block on Eric Berry, the safety. Basically, let’s say Freddy was to break that run . . . [berry] would’ve been the next defender. That would’ve been, ‘That’s a good block, we just sprung Freddy for the touchdown.’ It just so happened to be a bad play and a bad situation. . . . I definitely don’t want that to happen to anybody."

These were the comments that Johnson had to make after a Chiefs fan had tweeted to Johnson that the play was dirty. Johnson lashed back at the fan. via Steve Johnson's twitter page.

"man shutup U clown ILL NEVER CHEAPSHOT A PLAYER ON THE FIELD! IDC if he my Enemy U Square! Last I checked a cut block was legal!"

So with all of the talk about bounties this off-season it was questioned as to whether or not the Bills could have had a system in place and taking Berry out was part of that system. That question wasn't posed by a fan, but by Berry himself who tweeted, "Sometimes I sit N wonder if they had a bounty on me ... oh well ... who cares. Either way u can't hold me down".

Is it possible that they had a bounty on Berry? Possible, but not probable. Most of the bounties as they have been rumored to be have been defensive guys going after offensive guys, particularly quarterbacks. That doesn't change the fact that Berry missed the entire season on a play that many, including Rodney Harrison, a former safety himself, had serious issue with after it happened. According to the Pro Football Talk article, Harrison had gone as far to describe the play as "cowardly" in regards to Johnson.

One thing is for sure about this seasons' match-up between these two teams. All eyes will be on Johnson and Berry from the very first offensive snap for the Bills. The first time that Johnson comes across the middle and gets laid out by the Chiefs ProBowl safety, don't call it a bounty.

Call it football, or karma if you will.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/4/18/2956710/2012-nfl-schedule-kansas-city-chiefs-buffalo-bills-eric-berry-steve-johnson-bounty

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Arrowhead Addict has a man crush :)

I remember thinking at the time that it was at the very least a incredibly brain dead play by Johnson.

With the whole bounty-gate thing still lingering I doubt there is anything being said out loud in the Chiefs locker room. But football players being what they are it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson finds himself in the locker room getting medical attention prior to the end of that game.

I guess we will see how much Gailey likes Johnson by how often Johnson gets sent across the middle that game ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Watch that video. If Berry continues running (instead of stopping and planting his foot), he gets taken off his feet, or jumps the block and is slowed down by Stevie and is no worse for the wear. Now if Stevie was in front of Berry and went after his knee (instead of a straight up block) I could see the issue, but damn, he was behind him trying to catch up to Berry to cut him off from getting in on the play. Stevie didn't try to hurt the man. Damn, will this crying ever go away?

First of all, Berry's tweet was tongue-in-cheek. Second, if indeed Berry or one of the Chiefs cheap-shots Johnson you can bet your bottom dollar he'll be suspended.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell talks to the Chiefs prior to that game, especially if there are any rumblings in the media that Johnson is being targeted.

There's no doubt that the Bills are going to here about this. If Johnson gets a cheap shot hit to him, you can bet that there will be a scrum on the field, possibly the emptying of the benches.

Unless, of course, the Sabres dress up in a Bills uniform that day. :ph34r:

HAHAHAHAHAHA :thumbsup:

This video only re-established one thing for me that I've known for quite some time...

Phil Collins solo material is absolutely brutal.

YUUUUUUUp, now original Eagle Glenn Frey has joined the bandwagon of schlok crap. At least P. Collins retired

to live his life in luxury, so we no longer will be force fed "new" tunes. Oh, and Rod Stewart has sucked for decades now too.

Rant Over.

As for bounties. NO team forgets. It looks like a legal hit to me.

This is just ridiculous, Is this dude a safety or a freakin punter? Hell even our punter isn't that much of a wimp. Players complain about physical contact in a physical contact sport just makes no sense. He's no angel he's had a few dirty hits since he's been in the league.

(definitely went in with his head first)