Post college life and looking for a job

i graduated in '86 and am STILL worried about it....

Professional drunken man-whore is not a career Poojer.

I agree with everyone else that has said to do some traveling, even if it's not overseas, at least around the US.

Professional drunken man-whore is not a career Poojer.

I agree with everyone else that has said to do some traveling, even if it's not overseas, at least around the US.

and its not a terrible excuse to slide in some interviews along the way if you go that route. as has been mentioned, outside of LA and NYC you will likely have to travel some markets to hit other players as they arent consolidated in other places. make it a working vacation. odds are you even know some people out there that you could stay with on the cheap for semi-extended periods.

if you stay put though, id say ramp up the current work hours some. even if you dont have a passion for it, youll get some extra cash, and itll look a little better in interviews than "worked part time and hung out a lot." maybe even find a volunteer project and it can be a networking excuse and a good deed.

essentially find ways to stay productive, and stay "out there" in the market.

Edited by NoSaint

The grad school route shouldn't be done. Unless you're switching to electrical engineering. I can't imagine a PhD in communications getting you far except farther in debt.

I don't know where all the Europe advice is coming from unless you have a fair amount of money more than I had at 22. Even hosteling, you need some scratch to make that happen.

The grad school route shouldn't be done. Unless you're switching to electrical engineering. I can't imagine a PhD in communications getting you far except farther in debt.

I don't know where all the Europe advice is coming from unless you have a fair amount of money more than I had at 22. Even hosteling, you need some scratch to make that happen.

+1 on grad school. It won't help you at all in terms of a career in production. You'll learn more, faster, while getting paid, by working in the field.

+1 on grad school. It won't help you at all in terms of a career in production. You'll learn more, faster, while getting paid, by working in the field.

In production you really learn more so by doing, in fact I learned more by doing the schools TV shows than by being in classes. Grad school is going to teach you more but at a much slower pace and its going to put you deeper in debt when you could be getting paid to learn at a brisker pace.

In production you really learn more so by doing, in fact I learned more by doing the schools TV shows than by being in classes. Grad school is going to teach you more but at a much slower pace and its going to put you deeper in debt when you could be getting paid to learn at a brisker pace.

The obvious flip side being, atleast you'd be learning production if it otherwise might take you a few years to really get in.

I like the, " go to Europe " and " party as much as possible " advice.

Soon as you start something (job) worth keeping it will suck you in, and then comes the family. By the time you are through you're 60 years old. I took a year off and saw the country. The things you learn from just experiencing new places will never leave you. Life sometimes moves too fast to enjoy.

IF you think the economy in the USA is bad, Europe is many times worse, more expensive and potential full of language issues. Europe may work IF you had a job in hand before you go, if not, don't do it.

There's not much of a middle class in Europe. You're either driving a big Mercedes, BMW etc., or a Vespa, or if you're lucky a "Smart Car." Gas is in the $8-9 per gallon range. :o

It's not easy to party without a ride, a place to live, and pocket full of Euro's!

IF you think the economy in the USA is bad, Europe is many times worse, more expensive and potential full of language issues. Europe may work IF you had a job in hand before you go, if not, don't do it.

There's not much of a middle class in Europe. You're either driving a big Mercedes, BMW etc., or a Vespa, or if you're lucky a "Smart Car." Gas is in the $8-9 per gallon range. :o

It's not easy to party without a ride, a place to live, and pocket full of Euro's!

Yeah, I never understood the "travel through Europe thingy."

??

Maybe it was my father's post war stories that put a damper on things... In Venice, all he could comment on is how dirty the canals were... Sewage and Schlitz cans floating around... Then I go on to work on the Chicago canals! LOL! In perspective, it is like a virgin river here in the states!

Yeah, I never understood the "travel through Europe thingy."

??

Maybe it was my father's post war stories that put a damper on things... In Venice, all he could comment on is how dirty the canals were... Sewage and Schlitz cans floating around... Then I go on to work on the Chicago canals! LOL! In perspective, it is like a virgin river here in the states!

Wow..Saying the water was dirty in Venice in 1945 so stay away from Europe..that is a true leap.

You go there not for a career job, but to travel and experience for a year. Bar tending,washing dishes, laborer...these are the jobs. Maybe just me, but to be early twenties and broke and traveling in Europe sounds awesome to me,

I was a Communications major in TV and Radio production (Minor in interpersonal communication). I interned at a production company that did a whole bunch of reality TV shows. My salary expectations aren't that grand as I would be willing to start at 30k or lower and either get the experience or work my way up through a company.

As far as relocation I would consider relocation if there was a good offer but I would prefer to stay in my area but relocation isn't off the table.

interpersonal communication. You are a expert at talking?

Take heart youngster, I have a graduate degree in chemistry and it took me about ten years to cement myself into a job where I started to do well enough to stop actively looking for that next job. The early part of your career is where you learn the skills that will land you the big job down the road. With your degree, I strongly recommend avoiding graduate school, as others have mentioned. As you yourself pointed out, I learned more the first month at my first actual job than in four years of graduate school. Point is, all these things take time, particularly depending on where you are located.

Took about a month in Europe between first degree and graduate school. Took the budget route and slept on trains, campgrounds and hostels. Saw a Bit of the world, and used a portion of my college loan to pay for it. Best money I ever spent. Yes, I paid it back, and it was certainly something I think would be cool to do, I am not sure about these days though...

Edited by TheMadCap

You graduated in May and you're worried your career hasn't started yet? :unsure:

I think thats one of the problems today, we teach kids that all you have to do is go to school, get good grades, pick a field to go to post secondary education in, graduate and you will be working in your field. (Not saying this about the OP, just in general)

Lts of kids these days either pick the flashy, popular field, or something that would be more of a hobby (15th century Russian Womans Literature) and expect they will be in their dream job once they are out. Many then find that they chose a career field that everyone else did and the job market is flooded with people just like you, or they find out that their degree is barely worth the piece of paper its written on because there are few careers your degree will help you with. In todays economy, its tough to just have a job, let alone a good one in your career field.

The best advice today is to take whatever work you can get to get through the day to day expenses while always keeping an eye and ear open searching for something in your field when it becomes available. Be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, getting your foot in the door is better then not being in at all. Don't be too concerned about getting your ideal wage if its a job in your career field and what you want to do. While searching to get into your field, keep yourself up to date by either trying to get small temporary jobs in your field or continuing to take classes if you can. More education or experience isn't going to hurt.

But most of all, you just finished school, welcome to the real world now. Theres thousands of people just like you, finishing school and millions of people already done school that are looking for work too. Its not easy getting a work today, and don't expect to start at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the, " go to Europe " and " party as much as possible " advice.

Soon as you start something (job) worth keeping it will suck you in, and then comes the family. By the time you are through you're 60 years old. I took a year off and saw the country. The things you learn from just experiencing new places will never leave you. Life sometimes moves too fast to enjoy.

Many of us took a year off and went to Viet Nam! Some even partied- "I love u all day GI, five dollar!"

My Dad & my Uncle took a year off and one went to the Pacific and the other went to Europe.