Ben Davidson Passes Away

Back in the good ol' AFL days, Ben Davidson of the Oakland Raiders was a legendary DE. Those were the days when you had two home teams you rooted for, the Bills and the AFL.

Davidson was 72 and he died of prostate cancer. Here's the link to the story. I'm sure the NFL Network will cover it.

Link

sure does make me feel older! remember watching the 4 o'clock games in the late 60's before i would leave to watch the hockey bisons play in the aud at 7-15. big ben was a monster and always wish the bills were that mean. as the old guys on here will remember, by 68, the bills were terrible.

Good old "Beb", "Big Beb", remember when he broke Joe Nameth's jaw with forearm to jaw.

Remember when Otis Taylor of the Chiefs kicked the crap out of Davidson on national TV? Good times.

GO BILLS!!!

sure does make me feel older! remember watching the 4 o'clock games in the late 60's before i would leave to watch the hockey bisons play in the aud at 7-15. big ben was a monster and always wish the bills were that mean. as the old guys on here will remember, by 68, the bills were terrible.

Doesn't it seem that the Raiders were always playing Mike Garrett and the Chiefs? Those black and white and red and white uniforms contrasted even when it was in black and white tv. I loved rooting for the AFL in preseason games the first year they were allowed to play. It was only 6 or 7 years since the Bills played the Hamilton Tiger Cats in a preseason game. I wonder what rules they played? To this day, I have hard time rooting for the NFC team. Those arrogant .......

Doesn't it seem that the Raiders were always playing Mike Garrett and the Chiefs? Those black and white and red and white uniforms contrasted even when it was in black and white tv. I loved rooting for the AFL in preseason games the first year they were allowed to play. It was only 6 or 7 years since the Bills played the Hamilton Tiger Cats in a preseason game. I wonder what rules they played? To this day, I have hard time rooting for the NFC team. Those arrogant .......

Dawson vs Lamonica… Otis Taylor, Willie Lanier… just to name a very few.

Lots of Hall of Famers on those two teams.

What a sad day… Andy Griffith, Bep Davidson, and now Ben Davidson.

Yeah, I loved the Chiefs and hated the Raiders, and I think they played 8 times a year at 4PM!............My friends loved the Raiders, but I was a Chiefs fan because my parents were rooting for the AFL team in Super Bowl IV........Everybody had a favorite "good team" because the Bills were our favorites but they were horrible!

Yeah, I loved the Chiefs and hated the Raiders, and I think they played 8 times a year at 4PM!............My friends loved the Raiders, but I was a Chiefs fan because my parents were rooting for the AFL team in Super Bowl IV........Everybody had a favorite "good team" because the Bills were our favorites but they were horrible!

Ah, the good old days! It was 1970 and that was when I really started watching football consistently. The Chiefs were my first favorite team because they were my Father's at that time. By 1973 I switched to the Bills and never looked back. Talk about classic match ups! Those games were never boring and always a bloodbath between the Raiders and Chiefs. Willie Lanier, Otis Taylor and yes even Jan Stenerud were the guys I liked the most. Throw in Bobby Bell and Ed Podolak and you got entertainment! I'm sure that I misspelled a couple of names here but what 2 great teams they were!

Ah, the good old days! It was 1970 and that was when I really started watching football consistently. The Chiefs were my first favorite team because they were my Father's at that time. By 1973 I switched to the Bills and never looked back. Talk about classic match ups! Those games were never boring and always a bloodbath between the Raiders and Chiefs. Willie Lanier, Otis Taylor and yes even Jan Stenerud were the guys I liked the most. Throw in Bobby Bell and Ed Podolak and you got entertainment! I'm sure that I misspelled a couple of names here but what 2 great teams they were!

Lanier was great. I really liked Johnny Robinson at safety, also. Buck Buchanan was a monster, as well.

I swear both teams had first team All-Pros at every position - LOL!

Do you remember watching the longest game in NFL history? That Dolphins - Chiefs monstrosity. Man, that seemed to go on forever.

Yeah I do! That was a great game that seemed to go on forever! Because of that game the NFL quit playing games on Christmas. I don't know what the current policy is but that one truly was a classic!

Great call i do remember thoughs days.

An unfortunate passage and great memories for me of his handlebar mustache! He did embody the bada^^ Raiders teams and as sad as it maybe that he is gone I am happy that his passage seems to prompt such great memories of him as a player.

The mention several times of the Chiefs/Raiders rivalry reminds me of a Chiefs effort back in the day of putting an extremely tall player with a great vertical leap (the name Morris Stroud comes to mind but in my foogy memory banks I may be conflagrating this with a muscular actor of the 60s/70s named Woody Stroud).

At any rate the Chiefs had lost a game to a strong legged kicker who barely scrapped a long field goal over the crossbar (remember the days when the goal posts were on the goal line and passes sometimes went incomplete when they hit the goalpost or players would use the goalposts (until manufacture advances allowed the post to be off the field completely) as a pick.

It was also a staple of comedy (and even happened on occaision in real life ) of players knocking themselves silly or out running into the goalposts before they moved them back.

Ahh good memories and the loss of Big Ben brings them back.

Yeah I do! That was a great game that seemed to go on forever! Because of that game the NFL quit playing games on Christmas. I don't know what the current policy is but that one truly was a classic!

Yeah, that was the game that began my Dolphins hate. I couldn't believe that this team that had sucked my whole football life (2-3 years!) all of a sudden makes the playoffs and beats my Chiefs. Who is this Garo guy?!?...........I was so upset. I still have the Sports Illustrated with that game on the cover.

And, yeah - what a different world than back then. People were so outraged that they would play a game on Christmas Day that they never did again for decades. Now they do all the time!