I love Buffalo because

MClem06

My Family has always routed for the Bills because we live in WNY. I love the Bills because there is no fans like Bills fans. My older brother's (not with us anymore) favorite player was Don Bebee. My father always watched them. Just watched the comeback video against the Oilers and it brought back memories of how we turned the game off and went to the mall because we were disappointed during the first half. When we arrived to Sears they had the game on every TV and everyone was packed watching the comeback. To see that reminds me why I'm a Bills fan, even though I get crap for never giving up on them.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have hate for Buffalo. The reason I only have SOME family and friends left is many left for work and others have died. I don't have love for February or NYC. Just making a general weather comment. Don't understand your opening statement. You did prove my point. Imply anything negative about the area and you get attacked.

Hokay - so you come at my post about our great weather while the rest of the country swelters about some imagined day in February where the rest of the country is in great 40 degree comfort.......And, I hit back, so now it's ME who is doing the attacking. I didn't prove anything other than if somebody attacks a post, they can expect to be attacked back.

And, to me, and I know I'm in the minority, but I'm with the OP - I love the four seasons. And, our Carolina type 40 degree winter this year sucked IMO. I love days that are 0 degrees - sunny with no wind. Super bright and crisp. Some of my favorite days of the year.

The only thing I don't like about Buffalo weather is the wind. I can't stand wind.

And, you've shown your Buffalo hate before - saying on the Mario house thread that this $2M house would be $10M anywhere else. And, then when I was asking serious questions about that, you claim that the taxes make the cost the same on a monthly basis.

OK - taxes are going to make up that $8M right?

After a few posts of me trying to figure out how this could be (and settle an argument with my friend in Atlanta who somehow goes both ways on it, too), I realized that you just hate Buffalo. You never gave me a real answer and your first thing was to put down Buffalo and then to turn that into a negative you claim there are $8M worth of taxes to make up the difference.

Jimbo answered this question himself in today's Buffalo News. It's amazing for us old enough to remember how much he didn't want to come to Buffalo to begin with!

Updated: June 29, 2012, 12:22 AM

Asked what’s kept him in Buffalo for so long, Jim Kelly doesn’t hesitate: “The people.”

“If I want to go to sunshine I can get on a plane and go,” Kelly said. “I cannot take all my friends and all the people I’ve grown close to here in Western New York, I can’t take them with me. That’s why I live right here. I love it, I love the people, and the Buffalo Bills aren’t bad either.”

I expect most of us that left did so for one primary reason a J O B!

I love BUF because it's home. I didn't WANT TO LEAVE...BUT, I, and I expect most of us, made the hard choice and did what we thought was best for our own situations.

The people that have left, are joined by Millions of others. You don't believe Millions? Just look at the US House of Representatives member map. 40 years ago, NYS had about 45 Representatives in the US House. Now we're down to 29 and the only reason for that is a massive loss of population, as indicated in the Census. Did NYC lose many? No, but NYS did, big time!

So the population has shifted away from NYS, but there are still a lot of us that Love Buffalo. As people grow older, they may have the opportunity to decide where they want to live, if they are in a position to actually retire. I guarantee you that anyone who's from Buffalo entertains that thought of returning BUT, when you start looking at the living expenses including; property tax, sales tax, gasoline tax, car insurance, etc. etc., reality sets in and Buffalo will lose every time!

I agree that there are a lot of reasons to Love Buffalo, and many more to miss Buffalo. I envy the people who could stay, and make a good living, but many of us were not that fortunate.

When i left, Buffalo had; Bethlehem Steel, Republic Steel, Standard Oil, National Gypsum, Harrison Radiator, 2 Newspapers, a merchant filled Downtown, a working Waterfront with many Lake Freighters, Railroad tracks most everywhere, a much larger Ford & GM presence. All that changed due to taxes and regulation, which are still mostly in place.

So, I love it, I miss it, but like most of us, you can't live in the past, and the future has pretty much departed.

Left Williamsville at 7 years old due to my Dad being transferred to NE for work. I didn't grow up in B-Lo, didn't attend the local schools, and never had a chance to decide to leave or stay when it was time to get a real job. However, when people ask me where I'm from, my reply is "well, I grew up in CT, but I'm from Buffalo.

The reasons I love Buffalo are myriad. Buffalo to me is T-Giving, Christmas, and Easter at my grandparents' house on Huxley Drive. Buffalo to me is a visit to the zoo when my younger brother somehow ended up inside the gazelle (or whatever it was) area 0:). Buffalo to me is a trip down the 400 to West Blood Rd in East Aurora to visit cousins over the holidays. Buffalo to me is my grandmother's condo in East Aurora after my Grandfather passed. Buffalo to me is the Ralph with my brother, dad, uncle, cousins, and then later in life friends from NE.

Everytime I'm in Buffalo, whether it's for a game or to visit family, or both, it just feels like home.

That's why I love Buffalo.

Edited by Thurmal34

...because the 1900's era housing made of solid wood, stone, and brick that dominates most of the city has tremendous character and is incredibly beautiful. It could never be reproduced today.

That's what I'd say about the people of Buffalo. I was born in Southern California, but have now lived in Buffalo longer than anyhwere else. Buffalo and its people are as genuine as the housing stock. While I miss the weather in SoCal, I don't miss it. When I travel, and I have travelled a lot, I am so thankful to come back to this place, which has such a sense of place. I always root for the underdog, and Buffalo is the ultimate underdog city. Despite its outside reputation, it is a true American city, as the Bills are truly America's team.

A take on an old song, dedicated to the city and people of Buffalo, "I wasn't born there perhaps I'll die there. There's no place left to go, but Buffalo..."

:beer:

I just got an email from Fedex that they have resumed delivering now in Florida and Georgia, but not in Colorado..........Didn't realize the first two states were so inundated with flooding. I did know that Colorado is on fire.

I would bet the month of June in Buffalo averaged sunny and 80. Thank you very much.

Mine would be...

of how fun it was to grow up and have all 4 seasons.

of the pizza and wings.

of the memories of watching the Bills on Monday night football out on the back deck with the blimp passing by the house.

The Bills, good food, blue collar work ethic but still has good art & entertainment. Don't like the winters or the summers but that's anywhere.

The Bills, good food, blue collar work ethic but still has good art & entertainment. Don't like the winters or the summers but that's anywhere.

I'm surprised you don't like the summers?

This is CNN.com right now:

Millions without power as storms pound U.S.

Thunderstorms moved east from Indiana through Ohio and into West Virginia, knocking out power in more than 3 million homes after record-setting temperatures. FULL STORY

Triple digit highs scorch the U.S. Triple digit highs scorch the U.S.

I’ve been enjoying this site for a few years without posting, but you guys have really inspired me today. There’s been some disputation about Buffalo weather in this thread. Well, here’s my take: A “Four Seasons Tribute” to my beloved hometown.

Winter: Getting up with my brother at 5:30 to deliver our newspapers -- pitch darkness and hellish weather be damned -- and never missing a day in 3 years (even that first morning in ’77, when our main goal was to prevent our eyeballs from getting lashed from our faces). Simple and unsaid rule: our dad went out to work in the worst winter weather, and so the hell did we.

Spring: That ONE day, when you would stumble out of school into the brightness, throw off your jacket, roll up your sleeves for the first time since September, and then just stand there – silent, slack-jawed, blinking with disbelief; feeling that indescribably sweet warmth on your skin. No one could ever experience that feeling without first living through a Buffalo winter.

Summer: Dull roar of kids playing outside mixed with the dawn-to-dusk blare of lawnmowers and 97 Rock. 10-cent afternoon swims at the public pool, Lions-PAL baseball at Delaware Park, Chevy Tonawanda UAW softball games, evening basketball and touch football after the church parking-lot asphalt cooled down a bit. Jostling with my brothers to grab the sports page when the BEN arrived, eager to check out the Bills’ training-camp news (some rookie named Lucious Sanford hitting everything that moves …).

Fall: In the backyard on an exquisitely beautiful late-September Sunday afternoon. Tossing around a football with my brothers while Van Miller calls out the play-by-play from our parents’ 1950s-vintage radio, perched in the open dining-room window. Rookie Jerry Butler scores FOUR touchdowns, Bills beat the hated Jets – and the very first leaves are starting to tinge red and gold on the maple trees.

I adore my non-Buffalonian wife, but if I told her that September afternoon with my brothers was probably one of the 5 happiest days of my life, she would look at me with disbelief -- and I honestly couldn’t blame her. The damn thing is, I don’t know any of you guys here on TBD, but you all understand exactly what I mean. THAT is why I love Buffalo …

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome first post! Very prosaic!

I remember having to work at Santora's Pizzeria on Main Street in Williamsville (I think it's now closed) the Sunday that Butler had his 4 TD game against the Jets.

We did listen to it on the radio and I recall it was another sunny, glorious fall day in Orchard Park… another golden memory even though I couldn't watch the game.

I was not born or raised in Buffalo but grew up in the western New York area. I know that Buffalo has its problems like any city has and it gets some snow in the winter but when you think about it the snow is not as bad as a tornado or a hurricane like some cities get. The one thing though that makes Buffalo is the good people who live there.

Edited by shadowcat10

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome first post! Very prosaic!

I remember having to work at Santora's Pizzeria on Main Street in Williamsville (I think it's now closed) the Sunday that Butler had his 4 TD game against the Jets.

We did listen to it on the radio and I recall it was another sunny, glorious fall day in Orchard Park… another golden memory even though I couldn't watch the game.

I worked there also. Good friends with the entire Santora family.

Mine would be...

of how fun it was to grow up and have all 4 seasons.

of the pizza and wings.

of the memories of watching the Bills on Monday night football out on the back deck with the blimp passing by the house.

because they are moving to LA :P

I’ve been enjoying this site for a few years without posting, but you guys have really inspired me today. There’s been some disputation about Buffalo weather in this thread. Well, here’s my take: A “Four Seasons Tribute” to my beloved hometown.

Winter: Getting up with my brother at 5:30 to deliver our newspapers -- pitch darkness and hellish weather be damned -- and never missing a day in 3 years (even that first morning in ’77, when our main goal was to prevent our eyeballs from getting lashed from our faces). Simple and unsaid rule: our dad went out to work in the worst winter weather, and so the hell did we.

Spring: That ONE day, when you would stumble out of school into the brightness, throw off your jacket, roll up your sleeves for the first time since September, and then just stand there – silent, slack-jawed, blinking with disbelief; feeling that indescribably sweet warmth on your skin. No one could ever experience that feeling without first living through a Buffalo winter.

Summer: Dull roar of kids playing outside mixed with the dawn-to-dusk blare of lawnmowers and 97 Rock. 10-cent afternoon swims at the public pool, Lions-PAL baseball at Delaware Park, Chevy Tonawanda UAW softball games, evening basketball and touch football after the church parking-lot asphalt cooled down a bit. Jostling with my brothers to grab the sports page when the BEN arrived, eager to check out the Bills’ training-camp news (some rookie named Lucious Sanford hitting everything that moves …).

Fall: In the backyard on an exquisitely beautiful late-September Sunday afternoon. Tossing around a football with my brothers while Van Miller calls out the play-by-play from our parents’ 1950s-vintage radio, perched in the open dining-room window. Rookie Jerry Butler scores FOUR touchdowns, Bills beat the hated Jets – and the very first leaves are starting to tinge red and gold on the maple trees.

I adore my non-Buffalonian wife, but if I told her that September afternoon with my brothers was probably one of the 5 happiest days of my life, she would look at me with disbelief -- and I honestly couldn’t blame her. The damn thing is, I don’t know any of you guys here on TBD, but you all understand exactly what I mean. THAT is why I love Buffalo …

This is a GREAT first post!

I worked for a large company in Buffalo. I worked primarily with people from NYC, Boston, New Jersey, Atlanta and Chicago. They couldn't understand why I did not want to leave Buffalo. I told them that our winters are vastly overrated and our summers are vastly underrated. I told them it was a fantastic place to live if you had a job, and a lousy place to look for a job. Then I asked them how much it would cost them for a four bedroom house on a half acre lot, in a good suburb with a highly rated school district, that was a 20 minute commute from downtown.