Nix Is Building An Old School Team In A New Era

I actually think defensively he is building a more modern D. A 4-3 heavy on D-line and corners. He switched to a 4-3 because putting Dareus and K.Williams in the middle helps stuff the run, along with our LB's being better suited for the system.

Then he added Anderson and Super Mario to help the edge rush which you need to get after the QB. So we have a stacked D-line on paper and then Nix goes out and adds Gilmore and Brooks to the secondary.

I think when you add two guys to the D-line who can get after the QB, use your 1st round pick plus a 4th rounder on corners, its pretty clear to me you are trying to stop the pass.

Your point is taken, but again, KW got a big contract extension and they used a #3 on Dareus.

As others have said, this team appears to have been constructed to play in the elements, late in the year. And, to be able to pound the ball on the ground. We shall see how it all unfolds, but it will be, imo, a different brand of football. One we have been deprived of for many years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is old becomes new again. Keep in mind the defensive front has also, on paper, been built to rush the passer and to be more attacking. If they prove the abilityntomdomthis on the field then they are not old school. The Bills have gotten bigger and faster a new school way of thinking. Under Jauron they got faster but smaller. A legacy that has taken years to unwind.

Maybe a little more conservative but Chan is a gambler and so are the good offensive coaches around the league. Why throw on third and short because it's the best time to do it. If we had a kick a** line it would be different but we don't. Wood is very good and LeVitre is solid after that the rest are okay- I'm not ripping on the O-line but there is a big gap between kick butt and okay.

What is old becomes new again. Keep in mind the defensive front has also, on paper, been built to rush the passer and to be more attacking. If they prove the abilityntomdomthis on the field then they are not old school. The Bills have gotten bigger and faster a new school way of thinking. Under Jauron they got faster but smaller. A legacy that has taken years to unwind.

And we have shown we know how to beat Brady and now proven it. I think this with the pass rush HAS to intimidate the Patsies

Before the rule changes, it was VERY important to run the football, and stop the other team from doing so. This was, in most cases, the key to championships. Yes I know, the 49ers were an exception to some degree. Lately, passing stats are through the roof.

Accepting the above as a given, let's take a look at the direction Nix has chosen.

Nix dedicated HUGE resources to the DL. He signed 2 expensive free agents, extended KW's contract (Nix did this, right?), and used a #3 draft selection on a player who is hell to run against. And, KW is no slouch against the run in his own right.

On offense, we are fielding at LT and LG (assuming Glenn starts), 2 second round picks on the left side. Both of them could have easily gone in round 1. Additionaly, we have a first round center, and a right side composed of mauling types. Nix used the 9th pick of a draft for Spiller (already having a very good back in FJ), and we don't have any spectacular receivers, nor a field stretching TE. And our QB, while efficient, is not considered "elite."

If this sounds like criticism, it isn't. I like almost all of these moves, as well as the philosophy. The Bills play in the elements (as do 2 of our divisional opponents), and there will be times when passing won't be much of an option. Gailey, while not young, is more "modern" than Nix imo. He runs a very complex, new era offense. The old school/new school thing just might work.

Bottom line? If the defense stays healthy, I think we might be a bit more conservative on offense this year. More running, and less risky passes that wound up being intercepted. I do trust Gailey to come up with some creative passing strategies, but hope that we will be in a poition to pound it out on the ground a bit more.

If the Bills don't have all the pieces in place this year, I would be more than OK to watch them pound the s*&t out of their opponents, utilize home field advantage, and make the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All good stuff, Still not satisfied with this team yet. LB is a major Concern. Not sure we have REAL First Line Talent at all 3 positions. I still think the Major concern is Fitz. Can he carry the team 16 Games. He has to want to, and put it on him to CARRY The Bills. Successful Football Teams have Good QBs who can do it. I wanna see if Fitz and Play in November and December, cause if he can't, It's a cause of MAJOR Concern...

All good stuff, Still not satisfied with this team yet. LB is a major Concern. Not sure we have REAL First Line Talent at all 3 positions. I still think the Major concern is Fitz. Can he carry the team 16 Games. He has to want to, and put it on him to CARRY The Bills. Successful Football Teams have Good QBs who can do it. I wanna see if Fitz and Play in November and December, cause if he can't, It's a cause of MAJOR Concern...

I'm a broken record on this topic, but (a) having "stars" at LB is not important in this defense; and (b) the Bills are absolutely fine at the position. You have two experienced, proven vets in Barnett and Morrison, and a guy (Shep) Barnett has projected will be "great."

It seems every time I ask this question, nobody answers: name more than one starting linebacker for the NY Giants without looking it up?

I'm a broken record on this topic, but (a) having "stars" at LB is not important in this defense; and (b) the Bills are absolutely fine at the position. You have two experienced, proven vets in Barnett and Morrison, and a guy (Shep) Barnett has projected will be "great."

It seems every time I ask this question, nobody answers: name more than one starting linebacker for the NY Giants without looking it up?

Heck, I can't name him but wasn't the guy that had an interception (MLB I believe) in the SB a UFA pickup mid-season? I agree with this point. My only concern is with how young our CB's are. I like our upside but we are very young at corner.

Your point is taken, but again, KW got a big contract extension and they used a #3 on Dareus.

As others have said, this team appears to have been constructed to play in the elements, late in the year. And, to be able to pound the ball on the ground. We shall see how it all unfolds, but it will be, imo, a different brand of football. One we have been deprived of for many years.

Though both are great at collapsing the pocket too.

Plus I think that very often there will only be two LBs on the field. Scott or a nickel corner will play a lot.

That's why they picked up Young, if something happens, he can come in, add a new dimension, win some games... hold down the fort until the General returns, etc. ...depth is everywhere on this roster and we shall see the quality of that depth this year..! :thumbsup:

Plus I think that very often there will only be two LBs on the field. Scott or a nickel corner will play a lot.

Yeah, that's normally point #3 in my "LBs aren't the problem" diatribe... :lol:

As much as I'd like to have future HOF'ers at every position, it's not very realistic. And eball points out that it's not very necessary, either.

Good post.:thumbsup:

Edited by Campy