Poor *Wealthy* bus attendent in Greece, NY.

boyst

She reported it to the bus driver? When? The bus driver/janitor/loser was her superior/manager? Hmmm, I doubt it. But if that were the case and she went over the bus driver/janitor/loser's head to report a case of abuse because the bus driver/janitor/loser didn't do anything about it (how much time does he/she need?) I highly doubt she'd be "ripped a new one."

Once again she's an enabler.

According to the local news the day the main video was shot, there is video of her saying that. The bus driver is responsible for what happens on that bus, and at least in all 4 districts my wife has worked for ( including Greece) the monitors report to the driver and the driver deals with any incidents with the head of the garage who reports to the various principals and vice pricipals. The driver is not the monitors boss, but that's the way the info flows. Karen was a driver for many years so she knows how it works. If she didn't see action being taken in a reasonable amount of time I agree she should have done more, but that hardly makes her an enabler. She's been there long enough to know how long it takes for the district to take any action, which can be slow at best. For all she knew the process was in motion.

Same type of thing with teachers aides. They report what happens in the class to the teacher even though the teacher isn't the boss. My wifes current aide was the subject of a hostile environment with her previous teacher, took the district 2 months to take it seriously and move her after she went all the way to the top.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This includes punishing wrongdoers, and keeping miscreants in their seats, and in line.

Wrong. Her job is to keep the kids safe and allow the driver to focus on the road. The kids weren't doing anything to harm each other or distract the driver. She has zero authority to punish anyone. The only action that can be taken while on the bus is to have the kids change seats or require they sit down if standing. If they refuse the drivers only option is to pull over and have the kid removed from the bus.

According to the local news the day the main video was shot, there is video of her saying that. The bus driver is responsible for what happens on that bus, and at least in all 4 districts my wife has worked for ( including Greece) the monitors report to the driver and the driver deals with any incidents with the head of the garage who reports to the various principals and vice pricipals. The driver is not the monitors boss, but that's the way the info flows. Karen was a driver for many years so she knows how it works. If she didn't see action being taken in a reasonable amount of time I agree she should have done more, but that hardly makes her an enabler. She's been there long enough to know how long it takes for the district to take any action, which can be slow at best. For all she knew the process was in motion.

Same type of thing with teachers aides. They report what happens in the class to the teacher even though the teacher isn't the boss. My wifes current aide was the subject of a hostile environment with her previous teacher, took the district 2 months to take it seriously and move her after she went all the way to the top.

Don't forget Tapper... That bus driver is a loser! Janitor! Well, that is what some here will say... Just awful how people are.

:sick:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This "Includes", meaning that said job encompasses more than one aspect in addition to the aspects I mentioned. 3rd grade english language lesson aside, she has as much authority to tell the principal/assistant principal/any disciplinarian of her choice as the bus driver does....which is to say, a lot. I have ridden the school bus before amazingly enough. Not only does she have that authority, she is also able to force said children to separate from their clique and move to different parts of the bus until the problem can be rectified more thoroughly. Don't give me the "she was a helpless martyr to ruthless 12 year old" routine. If she was that helpless, like I said in my prior post, she should have been given the proverbial boot. And I still havent ruled out that she may have lambasted those kids all year and only backed into her corner when ganged up on. Elderly people can be just as brutal, if not more brutal, than children can be.

Wrong. Her job is to keep the kids safe and allow the driver to focus on the road. The kids weren't doing anything to harm each other or distract the driver. She has zero authority to punish anyone. The only action that can be taken while on the bus is to have the kids change seats or require they sit down if standing. If they refuse the drivers only option is to pull over and have the kid removed from the bus.

And every interview this woman has done and every time this woman opens her mouth, she sounds like a self-righteous, self-serving you know what. She is supposedly "sad" and "crying" and emotionally hurt, but she admits in her interview with Anderson Cooper that she's worried about how much tax she's supposed to pay on her newfound money????!!!!! Tell me this isn't real. It can't be. It just can't be. I want to cry because of how disgusting American society has become.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/23/karen-klein-i-dont-really-think-theyre-sorry/

Ok. So they called her fat and made her cry...that's a crappy thing to do to someone. But let's be honest, if I had a half mill for every time someone called me fat or ugly or four-eyed or whatever, I'd be able to purchase majority ownership of the Bills+Facebook. I lost ALL sympathy for Ms. Klein the second people began to toss money at her....here's why.

1.) She is a bus aide. The main thing a bus aide is supposed to accomplish is the maintaining of law and order on said bus. This includes punishing wrongdoers, and keeping miscreants in their seats, and in line. Clearly, one of two things happened on Ms. Klein's bus. Either she was so strict in her order-keeping that the kids had had enough of her over-the-top harsh lashings, verbal or otherwise, or she was amazingly inept at her job, and for an entire year let those kids run rampant on the bus and do whatever they could imagine to her and to each other. I'm prone to thinking it's the latter. If so, cut her loose, thereby getting rid of the possibility of this happening. If you're a bus aide that is supposed to keep the kids in line, and you fail to keep them in line, then you are failing at your job. As far as I know, if any one of us were failing at the single most important aspect of our job, we would either be warned, written up, or fired immediately. Not that Ms. Klein will ever have to work again if she has a single brain cell remaining, but still. And I'm not saying that either of the aforementioned situations must have been true, but it certainly seems likely that one of said situations was true.

2.) A HALF MILLION DOLLARS?! Is anyone aware of the staggering number of charities/non-profits that could use the money given to Ms. Klein in order to attempt to cure cancer, MS, muscular dystrophy, AIDS, HIV, lupus, or even the common cold? How about similar charities that aim to help children/adults/veterans/addicts/homeless/orphans/refugees in need? You have got to be kidding me. If I were Ms. Klein and I had an ounce of conscience, I would give that money to the charity of my choice. I would be disgusted at my own inability to handle the most transparent of insults spewed forth by a 13 year old. Give me a break.

Now, don't get me wrong....the way kids treat their elders these days is nothing short of appauling. But adults are adults and kids are kids for a reason, that is, because adults are emotionally mature enough to handle being called fat and ugly and sweaty and smelly and multi-chinned. Or at least they should be. I empathized with Ms. Klein until I heard that someone was shelling out that money, and now I'm disgusted that her martyrdom is being parlayed into a world tour of praise and queen-like treatment. Next, we will be asked to buy her book and go to book signings like we were with Susan Boyle. What ever happened to being tough and pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps. Sickening.

If we wanted the opinion of someone fat and ugly, we would've asked you. And then insulted you instead of listening. We didn't - so stop.

(I get a cut of any money you make from this abuse, right?)

Edited by NoSaint

Ok. So they called her fat and made her cry...that's a crappy thing to do to someone. But let's be honest, if I had a half mill for every time someone called me fat or ugly or four-eyed or whatever, I'd be able to purchase majority ownership of the Bills+Facebook. I lost ALL sympathy for Ms. Klein the second people began to toss money at her....here's why.

1.) She is a bus aide. The main thing a bus aide is supposed to accomplish is the maintaining of law and order on said bus. This includes punishing wrongdoers, and keeping miscreants in their seats, and in line. Clearly, one of two things happened on Ms. Klein's bus. Either she was so strict in her order-keeping that the kids had had enough of her over-the-top harsh lashings, verbal or otherwise, or she was amazingly inept at her job, and for an entire year let those kids run rampant on the bus and do whatever they could imagine to her and to each other. I'm prone to thinking it's the latter. If so, cut her loose, thereby getting rid of the possibility of this happening. If you're a bus aide that is supposed to keep the kids in line, and you fail to keep them in line, then you are failing at your job. As far as I know, if any one of us were failing at the single most important aspect of our job, we would either be warned, written up, or fired immediately. Not that Ms. Klein will ever have to work again if she has a single brain cell remaining, but still. And I'm not saying that either of the aforementioned situations must have been true, but it certainly seems likely that one of said situations was true.

2.) A HALF MILLION DOLLARS?! Is anyone aware of the staggering number of charities/non-profits that could use the money given to Ms. Klein in order to attempt to cure cancer, MS, muscular dystrophy, AIDS, HIV, lupus, or even the common cold? How about similar charities that aim to help children/adults/veterans/addicts/homeless/orphans/refugees in need? You have got to be kidding me. If I were Ms. Klein and I had an ounce of conscience, I would give that money to the charity of my choice. I would be disgusted at my own inability to handle the most transparent of insults spewed forth by a 13 year old. Give me a break.

Now, don't get me wrong....the way kids treat their elders these days is nothing short of appauling. But adults are adults and kids are kids for a reason, that is, because adults are emotionally mature enough to handle being called fat and ugly and sweaty and smelly and multi-chinned. Or at least they should be. I empathized with Ms. Klein until I heard that someone was shelling out that money, and now I'm disgusted that her martyrdom is being parlayed into a world tour of praise and queen-like treatment. Next, we will be asked to buy her book and go to book signings like we were with Susan Boyle. What ever happened to being tough and pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps. Sickening.

I can't believe that nobody has brought these points up before. Well done, Scott CHANdler. :thumbsup:

She is supposedly "sad" and "crying" and emotionally hurt, but she admits in her interview with Anderson Cooper that she's worried about how much tax she's supposed to pay on her newfound money????!!!!!

I know, right? Completely asinine. I personally never worry about tax crap and anyone else who does is nothing but an arrogant jerk.

This "Includes", meaning that said job encompasses more than one aspect in addition to the aspects I mentioned. 3rd grade english language lesson aside, she has as much authority to tell the principal/assistant principal/any disciplinarian of her choice as the bus driver does....which is to say, a lot. I have ridden the school bus before amazingly enough. Not only does she have that authority, she is also able to force said children to separate from their clique and move to different parts of the bus until the problem can be rectified more thoroughly. Don't give me the "she was a helpless martyr to ruthless 12 year old" routine. If she was that helpless, like I said in my prior post, she should have been given the proverbial boot. And I still havent ruled out that she may have lambasted those kids all year and only backed into her corner when ganged up on. Elderly people can be just as brutal, if not more brutal, than children can be.

You've ridden a bus, wow. I'm glad that makes you an expert on school policy. You know, even more so than someone who's wife has worked in said school district. Looks like I have no choice but to take my ball and go home defeated, the internet scholars have beat me.

And every interview this woman has done and every time this woman opens her mouth, she sounds like a self-righteous, self-serving you know what. She is supposedly "sad" and "crying" and emotionally hurt, but she admits in her interview with Anderson Cooper that she's worried about how much tax she's supposed to pay on her newfound money????!!!!! Tell me this isn't real. It can't be. It just can't be. I want to cry because of how disgusting American society has become.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/23/karen-klein-i-dont-really-think-theyre-sorry/

Wow... How people misread things. To me she seems more worried about doing the right thing about taxes... Tnat is by not paying enough, you can get into trouble if the other is spent. Probably her whole life, just had the amount witheld and then filed for a refund. I know people will laugh at that notion and call it not wise... But you don't want end up in trouble with the IRS... Consider the interest free loan to the gov't as a convienence fee.

Really pitiful how people are attacking her and how people are so darn jaded... Maybe THIS is the problem with children... They are just too wise for their britches.

I know, right? Completely asinine. I personally never worry about tax crap and anyone else who does is nothing but an arrogant jerk.

Same here... But she has to be cautious... She probably is wiser than we all think. New found money can become a bigger headache. I take nothing what other people are taking from the AC interview. She is deeply concerned that she can screw fnancially with the IRS... Can you blame her? The IRS is pretty intimidating... Afterall, she just got done with the teenage monsters... They will probably go to work with the IRS in 10 years. Yeah, maybe not the best personality to be bus monitor... But come on people... Why do we as a society have to back her down as a weak dog... Isn't that exactly what the children saw?

We really do lack all compassion... Even more when things do not exactly happen the way we thing they should.

Ohh... I forgot to ask... R U serious here?????

Do you agree with the mom on this one; was this the fault of the teachers?

Same here... But she has to be cautious... She probably is wiser than we all think. New found money can become a bigger headache. I take nothing what other people are taking from the AC interview. She is deeply concerned that she can screw fnancially with the IRS... Can you blame her? The IRS is pretty intimidating... Afterall, she just got done with the teenage monsters... They will probably go to work with the IRS in 10 years. Yeah, maybe not the best personality to be bus monitor... But come on people... Why do we as a society have to back her down as a weak dog... Isn't that exactly what the children saw?

The IRS is about as forgiving as the mob. My mom's friend has MS, is in assisted living, and can't even wipe her own ass (a fate almost as dreadful as being called a fat ass by 12 year olds). While the IRS is busy collecting every dime it can to make sure needy able bodied 20 somethings have all their necessities met and contributors to various politicians campaigns get their kickbacks, it ruthlessly gutted this woman's savings to satisfy tax debt, most of which consisted of snowballing penalties and interest on the penalties resulting from negligible amounts erroneously withheld by a disabled woman lacking her faculties. It's a hell of a "service" it provides.

The IRS is about as forgiving as the mob. My mom's friend has MS, is in assisted living, and can't even wipe her own ass (a fate almost as dreadful as being called a fat ass by 12 year olds). While the IRS is busy collecting every dime it can to make sure needy able bodied 20 somethings have all their necessities met and contributors to various politicians campaigns get their kickbacks, it ruthlessly gutted this woman's savings to satisfy tax debt, most of which consisted of snowballing penalties and interest on the penalties resulting from negligible amounts erroneously withheld by a disabled woman lacking her faculties. It's a hell of a "service" it provides.

I've never had a problem with the IRS. The couple times they've come after me, they've been readily willing to accept it was their mistake and not mine.

Haven't had that many problem with the mob either. At least, not until recently.

I've never had a problem with the IRS. The couple times they've come after me, they've been readily willing to accept it was their mistake and not mine.

Haven't had that many problem with the mob either. At least, not until recently.

They must have gotten wind of your reputation.

Suspended for one year

from article:

The kids who mercilessly taunted a Rochester-area school-bus monitor — bringing the 68-year-old to tears — were suspended from school for a year and will be forced to perform community service, the district announced today, a week after video of the brutal verbal abuse went viral.

"Each of the students involved admitted to wrongdoing," Greece Central School District Superintendent Barbara Deane-Williams said in a statement, adding that the district "remains committed to bullying prevention efforts."

in my opinion a good thing that this issue has at least given to a great deal of discussion on how we respect and get along with each other.... certainly much in life all of us face many challenges , beating down one another not at all comprehensible .

Edited by millbank

• 4 weeks later...

She's decided to retire....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/rochester-area_bus_aide_who_wa.html#incart_river_default#incart_hbx

Karen Klein, a 68-year-old grandmother, told The Associated Press that the decision to leave the job she held for three years was tough but wasn’t based on her now infamous encounter with the mean-spirited seventh-graders, who tormented her with profanity, insults and threats during a bus run as the school year wound down in June.

“I’m not quitting because of what happened. That’s not it,” Klein said from her home in the Rochester suburb of Greece. “I enjoyed working with the kids. But I guess it’s my time to leave. That’s what I’ve decided.” Although her mind is made up, she said she has yet to submit the paperwork that would make her retirement official. Before becoming a bus aide, Klein drove a school bus for 20 years.