Poor *Wealthy* bus attendent in Greece, NY.

boyst

It bothers you that thousands of people, many of whom were probably victims of bullying at one point or another, felt bad for her and kicked $10 her way, ostensibly for a vacation so she can get away from that rolling hell pit for a few weeks?

The whole point of this story is the emotional connection it elicited in such a large number of people. It is neither about, nor does it require a cool headed logical analysis by the people donating THEIR OWN money. You suggesting they complete a comparative study of the myriad charities out there before deciding to give this woman a couple dollars?

Funny how all the conservative wonks from PPP are suddenly so interested in how other people spend their own money. Wounded vets OK, emotionally abused elderly widow grandma not OK. Get over yourselves.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth and beating that straw man. Sorry you're too slow to get what I was saying. I'll try to dumb it down for you in the future.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for putting words in my mouth and beating that straw man. Sorry you're too slow to get what I was saying. I'll try to dumb it down for you in the future.

That's about the response I expected out of you. A weak, thoughtless opinion followed by an even weaker insult. Bravo as usual.

That's about the response I expected out of you. A weak, thoughtless opinion followed by an even weaker insult. Bravo as usual.

Whats "weak" is that you took a call for others to have some perspective about the situation and think about their generosity a bit and completely misconstrued it and worse, went partisan.

But carry on.....maybe she can clear a cool million. Becuase a child called her fat.

Edited by RkFast

My point is that obviously the only reason she's gotten this much attention and this many donations is because of how many people became aware of the story. The amount of money raised isn't a function of how important people feel the issue is...it's a function of the degree of awareness in terms of the number of people who heard about the situation. People seem to be reacting to the amount of money raised in comparison to what other charitable options may receive (or don't receive), and that has nothing to do with it at all.

right, but one would hope the awareness at some point would turn from "omg poor bus lady" to "wow, what feedback on that cause - where else can i help people that need it?"

it takes literally seconds to list off dozens of places/people that need the money so much worse. which lends itself to maybe people being more interested in being in a fad/flash mob than it does people being interested in taking suffering out of the world.

im not sure what this lady getting a half million dollars says about the world we are in, but it definitely makes a statement (some good, and without being too much of a debbie downer, probably some bad). maybe i need a more positive outlook and to say that they keep giving to make a strong statement, and not just to be one of the cool kids. somewhere in between obviously.

Edited by NoSaint

It bothers you that thousands of people, many of whom were probably victims of bullying at one point or another, felt bad for her and kicked $10 her way, ostensibly for a vacation so she can get away from that rolling hell pit for a few weeks?

The whole point of this story is the emotional connection it elicited in such a large number of people. It is neither about, nor does it require a cool headed logical analysis by the people donating THEIR OWN money. You suggesting they complete a comparative study of the myriad charities out there before deciding to give this woman a couple dollars?

Funny how all the conservative wonks from PPP are suddenly so interested in how other people spend their own money. Wounded vets OK, emotionally abused elderly widow grandma not OK. Get over yourselves.

Us conservative wonks have an issue with weak people. This woman is the epitome of weak and she's cashing in on it.

It bothers me that people are idiots. "Oh, kids are bad and an old woman's crying. Money'll fix it."

right, but one would hope the awareness at some point would turn from "omg poor bus lady" to "wow, what feedback on that cause - where else can i help people that need it?"

it takes literally seconds to list off dozens of places/people that need the money so much worse. which lends itself to maybe people being more interested in being in a fad/flash mob than it does people being interested in taking suffering out of the world.

im not sure what this lady getting a half million dollars says about the world we are in, but it definitely makes a statement (some good, and without being too much of a debbie downer, probably some bad). maybe i need a more positive outlook and to say that they keep giving to make a strong statement, and not just to be one of the cool kids. somewhere in between obviously.

I guess that's a question/issue for those who donated...I don't fall into that category.

This woman is the epitome of weak and she's cashing in on it.

omg...lol

I guess that's a question/issue for those who donated...I don't fall into that category.

omg...lol

This was my issue from the beginning. People felt so sorry for the poor woman. Sorry to the tune of a half a million. I felt sorry for her for being so weak she couldn't stand up to those little ***** That is why we have a society of little ***** because we let them get away with it.

Sour grapes... She can't be that weak raking in this kinda dough... Now one has to be strong to pull in the cash. Looks like the laugh is on your mighty azz.

Really that's your take? Well I shouldn't be surprised coming from you. How is she being strong "pulling" in that cash??

This was my issue from the beginning. People felt so sorry for the poor woman. Sorry to the tune of a half a million. I felt sorry for her for being so weak she couldn't stand up to those little ***** That is why we have a society of little ***** because we let them get away with it.

I lean conservative pretty strongly in most areas, but I really hope the day never comes when I feel that way about a little old lady who was just trying to do her job lol. I'm really taken aback at some of the comments about this situation...

Really that's your take? Well I shouldn't be surprised coming from you. How is she being strong "pulling" in that cash??

Money can't buy love they say... But it can get some power if used right.

I lean conservative pretty strongly in most areas, but I really hope the day never comes when I feel that way about a little old lady who was just trying to do her job lol. I'm really taken aback at some of the comments about this situation...

Excactly AJ! Yeah, blame the parents... IMO, some of the source of this problem comes from the likes of what people here have been spouting... They are so self-righteous, always refusing to look at themselves... This is the crap they gotta deal with on a daily basis.

And what job was this lady supposed to be doing? Bus monitor right? She waant doing much monitoring was she? Just because she's old doesn't mean she can't stand up for herself. I would love to see how my mom who is truly a little old lady at the age of 87 would have handled it.

And what job was this lady supposed to be doing? Bus monitor right? She waant doing much monitoring was she? Just because she's old doesn't mean she can't stand up for herself. I would love to see how my mom who is truly a little old lady at the age of 87 would have handled it.

Ra ra ra... Go Swiss Family Chef!

:rolleyes:

You obviously are completely out of touch, and have no clue how the education system has been influenced by modern parenting and litigation. The strongest thing she did was not react to those punks. She could not win, and they knew it, which is exactly why they did it. The second she reacts, in any way, her ass is grass. Even if the district isnt sued, she loses her job immediately on the first complaint of how she "treated my little angel". Stop being a tough-guy jackass because you are jealous that people cared, and she might be getting some money. No one gave her "half a million", it is the sum of thousands of small donations. She hasnt actually received anything yet, so lets see how it all plays out.

Your mom wouldnt have done ****.

It bothers me that people are idiots. "Oh, kids are bad and an old woman's crying. Money'll fix it."

You're right - the idea that throwing money at any problem will fix it is way too prevalent.

In this situation, the gentleman that started the fund claims he was bullied in the past and wanted to raise a modest sum to get her a vacation. For a widowed senior making 15 grand that doesn't seem too outlandish a sentiment. The media attention fueled the fund to the level it is now.

You obviously are completely out of touch, and have no clue how the education system has been influenced by modern parenting and litigation. The strongest thing she did was not react to those punks. She could not win, and they knew it, which is exactly why they did it. The second she reacts, in any way, her ass is grass. Even if the district isnt sued, she loses her job immediately on the first complaint of how she "treated my little angel". Stop being a tough-guy jackass because you are jealous that people cared, and she might be getting some money. No one gave her "half a million", it is the sum of thousands of small donations. She hasnt actually received anything yet, so lets see how it all plays out.

Your mom wouldnt have done ****.

An you know this how?

And litigation has reduced us to sniveling whiners? Pathetic.

You're right - the idea that throwing money at any problem will fix it is way too prevalent.

In this situation, the gentleman that started the fund claims he was bullied in the past and wanted to raise a modest sum to get her a vacation. For a widowed senior making 15 grand that doesn't seem too outlandish a sentiment. The media attention fueled the fund to the level it is now.

Thank you. It's not like she ever asked for money or even attention. And the guy who started the fundraiser set the goal at $15,000 so he could send her on a nice vacation. It's not either of their fault that people picked up on it, or there isnt a cap on the fundraiser.

Maybe she'll prove me wrong and I'll look like a jackass later, but I doubt she takes all the money and rides off into the sunset.

I work with the elderly on a daily basis and can honestly say that a large majority of the little ladies who are my patients would be scared sh*tless if four teenagers started ganging up on her threatening to stab her with knives and whatever else they said. Even if your mom is like Danny Trejo in "Badass", I just don' understand where all the vitriol towards this woman comes from. After all, it was the KIDS who recorded her...