Poor *Wealthy* bus attendent in Greece, NY.

boyst

youtube.com/watch?v=l93wAqnPQwk

Karen on the Today show, raised about $180k for her so far.

on 98.9 The Buzz

If these are your kids, well, you better not own up to it. People in anonymous and many others are looking to track the kids down. They were one of the first groups to really bring this to light.

It's heartwarming watching our community and the world rally behind Karen. But some of the response has been equally as vile. First, I'll just point out that Kimberly from the Buzz that you linked to is about as bad as those kids, not surprising she'd use two full days of her show to exploit this for ratings.

I think the anger needs to be directed at the school district here. Not the kids or even the parents. Why was Karen unable to do anything about this while it was occurring? The reality is, if she reacted they would have gone home, edited the video and only shown that part. In the end Karen loses her job. It's an issue many in the educational field deal with everyday. These precious little kids are never wrong. The other sad reality is if this wasn't exposed on youtube the school district would have never done anything about it. Karen reported it to the bus driver but it seemed to stop there. Had she reported it higher with no video evidence, the kids words would have been taken over hers for fear of the parents reaction.

Is what the kids did disgusting? Yep. How do we know they're all bad kids though? Often, one will be the ring leader and the other weak minded ones will follow thinking it's the cool thing to do or wanting to fit in because of peer pressure. One or two may be good kids for all we know that made a stupid mistake. Now they'll learn their lesson (hopefully) but they don't need to fear for their lives. I don't doubt that at least one of them is a vile little **** though.

Is it the parents fault? Maybe. But some kids just can't be reached. You can teach your kids all the manners and respect in the world but once they enter their peer group it's who can be the coolest. It's also hard to teach strength, if your kid is easily influenced and weak minded it can be hard to overcome that. Get them next to the wrong kid and they try to fit in. Luckily most kids are strong enough to overcome peer pressure and do the right thing.

What the internet is doing for Karen is great, what the internet is doing to the kids, family and those connected to them is as equally as vile and they are no better than the kids who harassed Karen.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's heartwarming watching our community and the world rally behind Karen. But some of the response has been equally as vile. First, I'll just point out that Kimberly from the Buzz that you linked to is about as bad as those kids, not surprising she'd use two full days of her show to exploit this for ratings.

I think the anger needs to be directed at the school district here. Not the kids or even the parents. Why was Karen unable to do anything about this while it was occurring? The reality is, if she reacted they would have gone home, edited the video and only shown that part. In the end Karen loses her job. It's an issue many in the educational field deal with everyday. These precious little kids are never wrong. The other sad reality is if this wasn't exposed on youtube the school district would have never done anything about it. Karen reported it to the bus driver but it seemed to stop there. Had she reported it higher with no video evidence, the kids words would have been taken over hers for fear of the parents reaction.

Is what the kids did disgusting? Yep. How do we know they're all bad kids though? Often, one will be the ring leader and the other weak minded ones will follow thinking it's the cool thing to do or wanting to fit in because of peer pressure. One or two may be good kids for all we know that made a stupid mistake. Now they'll learn their lesson (hopefully) but they don't need to fear for their lives. I don't doubt that at least one of them is a vile little **** though.

Is it the parents fault? Maybe. But some kids just can't be reached. You can teach your kids all the manners and respect in the world but once they enter their peer group it's who can be the coolest. It's also hard to teach strength, if your kid is easily influenced and weak minded it can be hard to overcome that. Get them next to the wrong kid and they try to fit in. Luckily most kids are strong enough to overcome peer pressure and do the right thing.

What the internet is doing for Karen is great, what the internet is doing to the kids, family and those connected to them is as equally as vile and they are no better than the kids who harassed Karen.

That's why parenting today sucks. That is at why 30 I know I am not ready to raise a family. Parents should teach their kids it is not about being cool, it is about doing what is right. It's also about knowing your kids friends and helping them keep away from the wrong kids. Are there kids who are unreachable? Yes, I am sure there are, but these kids are probably not too bad off. They have means to get on the internet unsupervised, the belief that they can get away with doing bad things and worst of all they have the ability to face the consequences.

Great points in general.

But no one is physically assaulting the kids or their parents (at least not yet). They are just giving the kids a taste of their own medicine, except a much stronger dosage. Same way old school parents would make a child smoke a whole pack of cigarettes to turn him off from ever smoking again.

Since the kids obviously dont have the cognitive ability to understand how they were making Karen feel, they are learning it the hard way.

Is it an ideal solution? No. Will some people take it too far? Yes.

But at the end of the day, as long as this stays about harassment and not physical attacks, the only people to blame for any of this are the kids.

:thumbsup: Nice post...especially for a kegtapr! :lol:

Great points in general.

But no one is physically assaulting the kids or their parents (at least not yet). They are just giving the kids a taste of their own medicine, except a much stronger dosage. Same way old school parents would make a child smoke a whole pack of cigarettes to turn him off from ever smoking again.

Since the kids obviously dont have the cognitive ability to understand how they were making Karen feel, they are learning it the hard way.

Is it an ideal solution? No. Will some people take it too far? Yes.

But at the end of the day, as long as this stays about harassment and not physical attacks, the only people to blame for any of this are the kids.

Matt Lauer supports it....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/bullied_bus_monitor_karen_klein_wants_apology_from_greece_ny_students.html

Lauer called the students involved 'narrow-minded monsters' and added: "I would like nothing more than to say the names of these kid on national television and give their addresses and let them see the kind of abuse that they dished out to this woman."

Matt Lauer supports it....

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/bullied_bus_monitor_karen_klein_wants_apology_from_greece_ny_students.html

Lauer called the students involved 'narrow-minded monsters' and added: "I would like nothing more than to say the names of these kid on national television and give their addresses and let them see the kind of abuse that they dished out to this woman."

Very mature of you Matt.

Raised $301,535 towards the $5,000 goal.

This is not about just what is wrong in this world, it is about what is right. Also, how do taxes work in this situation?

****Edit/Update: Been tracking it. As of the last couple hours it goes up at least $1,000 ever ten minutes.

Edited by jboyst62

This is not about just what is wrong in this world, it is about what is right. Also, how do taxes work in this situation?

Heard one report last night when it was still under $20K that it could be considered a gift and no taxes. Not sure now with how large it has gotten. Chef Jim? Can you fill us in?

Heard one report last night when it was still under $20K that it could be considered a gift and no taxes. Not sure now with how large it has gotten. Chef Jim? Can you fill us in?

100% tax free baby! The giftors not giftees pay gift taxes. Anyone want to be filmed treating me like ****??

****Edit/Update: Been tracking it. As of the last couple hours it goes up at least $1,000 ever ten minutes.

Unfortunetly she'll now have to deal with the same scum that comes out of the woodwork when you win the lotto. Hope she gets in touch with a lawyer.

100% tax free baby! The giftors not giftees pay gift taxes. Anyone want to be filmed treating me like ****??

Just print out a few reams of the PPP threads, editing your posts first to make you seem like a saint.

Time to change the thread title.

I had flashbacks watching this video - I saw it happen to others on the bus and it happened to me 20 years ago. It hurt a lot and to this day I can identify with that woman.

This starts 100% with the parents. Kids learn by imitating their parents - it's very likely that this video is simply a microcosm of how their parents treat other people. Some of it is peer pressure as well. They'll see Johnny ganging up on someone, so they'll feel the need to pile on, even though they'd never do it on their own.

Punishing these kids won't change anything, even though that's what needs to be done. This has been going on for ages, it's just more visible now because people are beginning to realize that bullying is a real problem. Unfortunately, it's a problem that can't be solved until society makes a dramatic shift towards alienating this kind of behavior. Perhaps this video is the first step in doing that - for people that were never picked on as kids, it might be the first time they're seeing this as adults and realizing that it needs to stop. It begins with them setting an example of how to properly behave in front of their children.

ABC reporting that the school is considering a one year suspension for the students.

Trayvon part 2. The school is contemplating what is effectively expulsion over an offense that rightfully warrants about a week long suspension.

I saw way worse than this on the bus in middle school. Rumor had it a 7th grader who rode my bus had a hot dog break off inside her. The abuse escalated over several days from someone throwing a condom at her yelling "that'll help your hotdog slide better, slut" to, by the last day of school, the whole bus chanting "face down, hotdog up, that's the way Heather likes to !@#$." All she did was bury her head in her hands and cry. It was pretty !@#$ed up.

That was a 13 yr old girl who was deeply scarred. I think a woman in her 60s can handle the verbal barbs of a bunch of kids.

Our society hasn't become more abusive; we've become a bunch of hyper-sensitive, overly emotional, feminine hygiene products who have lost perspective on how the world is and mindlessly drift to these incidents as though they are somehow relevant to our lives.

Trayvon part 2. The school is contemplating what is effectively expulsion over an offense that rightfully warrants about a week long suspension.

I saw way worse than this on the bus in middle school. Rumor had it a 7th grader who rode my bus had a hot dog break off inside her. The abuse escalated over several days from someone throwing a condom at her yelling "that'll help your hotdog slide better, slut" to, by the last day of school, the whole bus chanting "face down, hotdog up, that's the way Heather likes to !@#$." All she did was bury her head in her hands and cry. It was pretty !@#$ed up.

That was a 13 yr old girl who was deeply scarred. I think a woman in her 60s can handle the verbal barbs of a bunch of kids.

Our society hasn't become more abusive; we've become a bunch of hyper-sensitive, overly emotional, feminine hygiene products who have lost perspective on how the world is and mindlessly drift to these incidents as though they are somehow relevant to our lives.

Yup. It's what happens when you raise an entire generation to believe they're delicate little snowflakes.

Another unintended consequence of living in an insulated world: http://ideas.time.com/2012/02/10/why-american-kids-are-brats/

Yup. It's what happens when you raise an entire generation to believe they're delicate little snowflakes.

Another unintended consequence of living in an insulated world: http://ideas.time.com/2012/02/10/why-american-kids-are-brats/

Thanks for that article. That was a good read. Im very happy to say that my parents always raised me to be respectful and to treat people the right way. I cant say that about everyone I know, but the people I associate with are always respectful. Surround yourself with good people. Makes a big difference in who you become