NIX on Sirius about 30 minutes ago

I was driving along in a rental car today that happened to be equipped with Sirius radio. As I was flipping through the stations, it read "Bills GM- Buddy Nix".

As I don't have Sirius and therefore never listen, I am not sure if this was a re-run or a new interview and didn't catch the station. I caught it halfway through and Buddy said everything you would expect him too. My brief summary of what I caught is below. Feel free to add if anyone else caught it.

1) HUGE Personnel improvements from last year- Notably, the defensive front four are amazing both on paper and in practices thus far. Front four on paper look as good as the Superbowl year d-line. However, he noted they players are all bigger these days. Equally impressive in a different way is our depth behind these front four.

2) Gilmore- Looks great and are happy with the pick. Nix made a joke about how he hates to sound funny but Gilmore looks really good in shorts (as in without pads)

3) Improvements on O-line- should allow for more time for Fitz.

4) Very excited about Freddy and CJ- Hosts asked him if we would see them line up at the same time this year. Nix promised we would with Spiller sometimes being motioned out to the WR position.

All of this seems pretty standard and all things we heard before. Sorry for not having a link, but maybe by my summary someone knows where I heard this.

Go Bills!

I was driving along in a rental car today that happened to be equipped with Sirius radio. As I was flipping through the stations, it read "Bills GM- Buddy Nix".

As I don't have Sirius and therefore never listen, I am not sure if this was a re-run or a new interview and didn't catch the station. I caught it halfway through and Buddy said everything you would expect him too. My brief summary of what I caught is below. Feel free to add if anyone else caught it.

1) HUGE Personnel improvements from last year- Notably, the defensive front four are amazing both on paper and in practices thus far. Front four on paper look as good as the Superbowl year d-line. However, he noted they players are all bigger these days. Equally impressive in a different way is our depth behind these front four.

2) Gilmore- Looks great and are happy with the pick. Nix made a joke about how he hates to sound funny but Gilmore looks really good in shorts (as in without pads)

4) Very excited about Freddy and CJ- Hosts asked him if we would see them line up at the same time this year. Nix promised we would with Spiller sometimes being motioned out to the WR position.

All of this seems pretty standard and all things we heard before. Sorry for not having a link, but maybe by my summary someone knows where I heard this.

Go Bills!

Thanks for posting.

Island Bills Fan:

You were right on it. i was the guy who called in and spoke of Wilson and Byrd post his interview. I only call into NFL Radio when I see there is a Bills topic b/c you get on almost immmediately as an fyi. I loved Buddy's comment that we have the football season, playoff season, free agent season, and draft season, and this is the talk season.

He is so funny and love the guy as well as Chan. Thanks for the post, and Pat Kirwan had some nice things to say about our secondary in total, not just the safeties.

Can't wait for Mid September!!!!

What improvements on the O-line? It looks to me like the only change is that the Bills lost their starting LT and plan to replace him with a rookie. That doesn't sound like an improvement to me. At least not this season.

Island Bills Fan:

You were right on it. i was the guy who called in and spoke of Wilson and Byrd post his interview. I only call into NFL Radio when I see there is a Bills topic b/c you get on almost immmediately as an fyi. I loved Buddy's comment that we have the football season, playoff season, free agent season, and draft season, and this is the talk season.

He is so funny and love the guy as well as Chan. Thanks for the post, and Pat Kirwan had some nice things to say about our secondary in total, not just the safeties.

I was listening. Good call. As soon as the interview was over, I had the same thought you did -- "don't you just love Buddy Nix?"

Island Bills Fan:

I haven't been excited for a 1st rd pick like I am for Gilmore in a long time. Even more so than Dareus. I never compare guys who have yet to take an NFL snap to an elite player, but I see a lot of Revis in him. The low key, never get flustered demeanor he seems to bring to the field. Even his physical side where it never looks like he's moving that fast but he's always right there with his guy. He'll take his lumps like any rookie, but I'm real excited for him.

What improvements on the O-line? It looks to me like the only change is that the Bills lost their starting LT and plan to replace him with a rookie. That doesn't sound like an improvement to me. At least not this season.

I would guess having a healthy Wood @ center, the guys being in the same system another year getting more familiar with the men next to them. They are also veery high on Glen. Oh and we seem to have better depth at all positions except maybe LT still. D Bell never really played so ne real loss ther!

Edited by snamsnoops

Maybe health/seasoning should replace the word "improvements". Hairston, Sam Young, Colin Brown and Zebrie Sanders provide us with a definite improvement as back-ups. Hairston showed the ability to start at T, Brown is an actual C and Young and Sanders have the flexibility to play multiple positions. I like D'Alessandris and Andrew Dees and the work they have done with the line. Fitz's quick release keeps them from getting too worn down and his improvement in technique (working with David Lee) should only help even more. Like everything, it's a "wait and see" aspect to the team that certainly looks good on paper.

Thks Go Billss78. as far this O-Line Conversation, I would consider a healthy more experienced, and a line with more depth better. D. Bell was fine, but not a premier LT. I understand we haven't seen CG play yet. My point goes back to what P. Kirwan stated today on Buddy Nix. "Buddy Nix is creating DEPTH at every position so when the injury bug hits you have players who can plug in.

Buddy stated something interesting today that we were doing our best three years ago just to get 53 guys on this roster. PK responded with now, you not only have MW, MD, KW, and MA, but also, TT, AC, DE, SM, and C. Kelsey. He's right. When one gets hurt and someone will, another can plug in if we don't release too many.

Bottom line on 0-line is we do have more quality young depth. Are they a pro bowl unit, no, but we are getting the clay first to mold and go from there.

BIILLIIEEVVEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGK.

BTW - Love PTR comments. That guy knows the Bills.

Continuity time and again has been shown to be the biggest indicator of a good OLine, which is exactly why it should be better. Besides, how much better does it really need to be when we are the least sacked team in the NFL and had one of the highest rushing averages in the league as well?

Cue the OLine still sucks responses...apparently until Fitz has 25 seconds to throw, gets sacked once every 8 games, and Fred Jackson looks like Bo Jackson in Super Tecmo Bowl by rushing for 50 yards every carry, the OLine is going to still suck...

Maybe health/seasoning should replace the word "improvements". Hairston, Sam Young, Colin Brown and Zebrie Sanders provide us with a definite improvement as back-ups. Hairston showed the ability to start at T, Brown is an actual C and Young and Sanders have the flexibility to play multiple positions. I like D'Alessandris and Andrew Dees and the work they have done with the line. Fitz's quick release keeps them from getting too worn down and his improvement in technique (working with David Lee) should only help even more. Like everything, it's a "wait and see" aspect to the team that certainly looks good on paper.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you like about Andrew Dees???

Continuity time and again has been shown to be the biggest indicator of a good OLine, which is exactly why it should be better. Besides, how much better does it really need to be when we are the least sacked team in the NFL and had one of the highest rushing averages in the league as well?

Cue the OLine still sucks responses...apparently until Fitz has 25 seconds to throw, gets sacked once every 8 games, and Fred Jackson looks like Bo Jackson in Super Tecmo Bowl by rushing for 50 yards every carry, the OLine is going to still suck...

You are so right, our offensive line was in all reality one of the better lines in the entire NFL last year and everybody still complains??? And by the way, we accomplished that with significant injury to our center as well as LT. Not bad for a group with no depth and limited experience but yeah we still suck. It absolutely amazes me to see the short sightedness of some Bills fans. GO BILLS!!!

I agree that the OL was pretty good last season. All I am saying is that I don't really see how it has been improved. Depth may be a little better but any downgrade at LT, the most important position on the line, more than compensates for that IMO. If they just perform as well as last season then I'd be happy but I'm not expecting any improvement.

Bell the guy who started 6 games last year? Ya i don't miss him and his ouchie routine. Glenn will be a fine tackle

First, thanks for the post!!

Truth is our starting LT from last year's outstanding OL is still with the team! Bell once again was out for more than half of the games (Bell 6 games - Hairston 10 games) and even if he didn't get injured there was talk of a change happening at LT.

So add in our two draft picks and it really sounds like we have a keeper at LT finally and Buddy is right. An already deep OL had gained additional quality players do it is deepert and Wood will be back. Worse case scenario is having a starting OL against the Jets that is the same as the season ending game but with Wood at center.

Clearly Buddy knows how to build a team and is honest about how bad we were .

Lost? More like "happily let him go elsewhere."

Clearly the Bills feel that the addition of Glenn and Sanders, plus the fact Hairston is now in his 2nd year, provide upgrades at the tackle positions -- both starting and depth. They expect a healthy Wood at C who was starting to dominate, and they have secured depth at the guard and C positions as well.

Your point about potentially relying on a rookie at LT is well taken. That is the question mark. Overall, however, the Bills come into this season with more talent, continuity, and established personnel on the OL than they have in some time.