QB Coach Lee: I'm going with the expert.

Let's see...38 years coaching experience, has worked with Romo and E. Manning, and from Wawrow's article:

"To Lee, Fitzpatrick has all the tools - confidence, toughness, mobility and plenty of arm strength [emphasis mine]- to succeed at this level. It's just a matter of smoothing out the rough edges."

With all due respect to the insightful posters on this board who have questioned Fitz's skills and have called him a "backup at best," I'm going to go with the expert on this one. I am not slamming your opinions, just suggesting that there's a chance that this guy can "smooth out the rough edges" and get Fitz to the next level.

Maybe I've had too much of the Kool-Aid.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

This.

I've never questioned Fitz's arm strength. I've seen him sling it around just fine. With better mechanics he could be a very good QB

+1

What else is Lee going to say?

Fitz can obviously use some adjustments but anyone expecting dramatic changes is kidding themselves

The key is making their best players on offense the focal point and that's Fred and CJ instead of a pass heavy offense with an average QB throwing to a below average receiving group

Edited by Max997

"he's not good enough"

Is that what anyone expected?

"I can't help him"

Is that how he got the job?

People need to chill on every single sound bite.

I remember when two weeks ago lee was just a bum that could only run the wildcat and we shouldnt have hired him.

Truth is, fitz is good enough to win some games- how many is debatable. Personally I think his ceiling is lower than the elite qbs but his floor is higher then just about any replacement option. It can be a gift and a curse. Hopefully he can work some issues out and get better.

What else is Lee going to say?

Fitz can obviously use some adjustments but anyone expecting dramatic changes is kidding themselves

The key is making their best players on offense the focal point and that's Fred and CJ instead of a pass heavy offense with an average QB throwing to a below average receiving group

In response to this: I agree, if the Buffalo Bills defense is as good as we hope it will be this year (I think it will be very good) it will allow Buffalo to play with patience, and it will allow Buffalo to control the tempo of games. I would say then, that Freddy and C.J. are too good, and our O-line is too good, and those RB's average too much NOT to use them as long as they continue with that success.

HOWEVER - I see a Bills defense that will get after QB's perhaps, by season's end, better than any team in the NFL, and our secondary is going to be creating turnovers. The best compliment to this type of defense is an offense that can get ahead by a few scores. If we can force a team into having to pass while maintaining a comfortable lead, we'll be able to play that type of game. But a team with a good defense going against Buffalo, with a good, hard nosed running game might also pose problems for us if we can't get that lead.

So - I say we have weapons in the passing game. I like our young recievers. I also think (and here disagree again) that Fitzpatrick is one of the best QB's in the league at reading defenses and running a gameplan. He's brave enough to hold up to pressure. IF Lee can fix his accuracy issues, the Bills offense could be good enough in both phases to create a perfect match-up nightmare for opposing teams. They commit to stopping one phase, we attack vigorously with the other. A consistent Fitz, with everything else we have right now, could be a top 8 QB in the NFL.

Eli Manning got better after working with Lee, to the point where he is now one of the best QB's in the league. After working with Lee Romo became a star. Pennington had an elite year after working with Lee. Fitz has more intelligence than these guys. He has guts. We've seen him throw very good at times. If that guy can be prolonged to 80 percent of a game, instead of the 50-60 percent we're used to, Buffalo's offense and defense might be top 5 in the league.

Edited by sllib olaffub

When he shows me this alleged arm strength in games, I will drink the kool aid. Until then, I will remain somewhat skeptical.

Fitz doesn't throw downfield much, but whenever someone questions his arm strength, I think of the pass that Stevie dropped against Pittsburgh. I am not trying to bash Stevie when I reference this play, because I really like him, but instead I'm remembering the perfect pass that Fitz threw exactly on the money that travelED 50 yards in the air. It showed nice touch and arm strength, and though it wasn't always there last season, I think he can do it with a little critiquing!!

GO FITZ, and GO BILLS!!!!!

Let's see...38 years coaching experience, has worked with Romo and E. Manning, and from Wawrow's article:

"To Lee, Fitzpatrick has all the tools - confidence, toughness, mobility and plenty of arm strength [emphasis mine]- to succeed at this level. It's just a matter of smoothing out the rough edges."

With all due respect to the insightful posters on this board who have questioned Fitz's skills and have called him a "backup at best," I'm going to go with the expert on this one. I am not slamming your opinions, just suggesting that there's a chance that this guy can "smooth out the rough edges" and get Fitz to the next level.

Maybe I've had too much of the Kool-Aid.

All this proves is that his critics were RIGHT. He had issues with accuracy due to bad mechanics. So what's your point other than to say the critics were correct in criticizing his flaws? Everyone likes him, but his poor mechanics led to a level of inconsistency that wasn't good enough. If someone can fix those problems then fantastic! But pretty silly to slam others for questioning his on field performance when the very expert you are praising flat out says he had mechanical flaws. I seriously doubt any fan will have an issue if he turns it around ON THE FIELD cuz everyone pretty much likes him otherwise.

However, turning what he is learning this late in his career into muscle memory before the season begins is a very difficult task. It's MUCH easier to do it in practice than in the game because of how fast the game is played at this level. They not only have to teach him the corrections, but they have to convert to muscle memory otherwise it won't be something he can consistently do when bodies are flying around on Sunday's.

I really hope he does, because if he does stabilize his game, then this team coupled with our defenses potential can be a seriously dangerous team this year. Glad to see the coach thinks highly of him though, then again he would probably say the same thing even if he didn't believe it. So I still need to see it on the field in game action before I am sold in him as a long term answer.

Fitz doesn't throw downfield much, but whenever someone questions his arm strength, I think of the pass that Stevie dropped against Pittsburgh. I am not trying to bash Stevie when I reference this play, because I really like him, but instead I'm remembering the perfect pass that Fitz threw exactly on the money that travelED 50 yards in the air. It showed nice touch and arm strength, and though it wasn't always there last season, I think he can do it with a little critiquing!!

I've put a 300 yard drive in the fairway, but I can't do it very often. Having done something and doing it regularly is a big gap. It keeps me going back to the course for another round though.... On the brightside fitz is a lot more likely than I am to figure it out.

They're working this angle hard. Truth is fitz never had poor mechanics.

You need to watch more closely. Not just Fitz, all QBs. Stop following the ball and look at their feet and legs in relation to their upper bodies. Watch where they start their windups. See if they lower their arms a tad before releasing. Fitz has had poor mechanics for as long as I've seen him play.

He's got more than a strong enough arm, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, I hope you're right. But for every pass to Stevie in the Steelers game, there's two INTs in the Giants game (before any injury).