QB Coach Lee: I'm going with the expert.

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't follow the career paths of assistant coaches -- particularly beyond the coordinator level. I had no idea who Lee was when the Bills hired him, and was more concerned about why Cortez left. But that's what we do -- we read, listen, and learn -- and I came to understand Lee's resume. He's clearly a bit of an anomaly in the NFL, since you don't hear about a lot of other "technicians" coaching QBs. I haven't anointed him a savior, and I don't think I've seen many (if any) others do that. I'm simply optimistic that a guy who focuses on fundamentals and mechanics is working with a QB who has weaknesses in those areas. If you suggest that Romo not winning a playoff game is a reason why Lee isn't worth a crap -- well, that's just silly. Chad Pennington got more out of less than any QB I can remember. And oh yeah, Lee worked with Eli Manning between the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

I don't follow asst coaches either. But your argument was that nobody is calling him a savior (my words there), well I've read some posts where people think he is a guru. Also, as for coaching up Eli in 2010 and 2011 I guess he may have helped him win his 2nd super bowl. Eli's first being in 07, I would love too see where Eli called him out and said he couldn't have done it last year without Lee. My comment on Romo and Pennington really isn't a dig at Lee. It was meant to prove a point that all the coaching up in the world won't make a good or great player out of an average one. That being IMO Romo, Pennington, etc. I consider Romo one of the most over hyped average players in the league.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't follow asst coaches either. But your argument was that nobody is calling him a savior (my words there), well I've read some posts where people think he is a guru. Also, as for coaching up Eli in 2010 and 2011 I guess he may have helped him win his 2nd super bowl. Eli's first being in 07, I would love too see where Eli called him out and said he couldn't have done it last year without Lee. My comment on Romo and Pennington really isn't a dig at Lee. It was meant to prove a point that all the coaching up in the world won't make a good or great player out of an average one. That being IMO Romo, Pennington, etc. I consider Romo one of the most over hyped average players in the league.

The Tony Romo who in 5 1/2 seasons as an NFL starter has thrown for over 20,000 yards and has a career 96.9 QB rating, 64.5 completion %, 8.0 yards per attempt, and a 149-72 TD-INT ratio?

That Tony Romo?

You just lost a lot of credibility.

The Tony Romo who in 5 1/2 seasons as an NFL starter has thrown for over 20,000 yards and has a career 96.9 QB rating, 64.5 completion %, 8.0 yards per attempt, and a 149-72 TD-INT ratio?

That Tony Romo?

but hes a cowboy! dont i have to hate on him?

honestly, i think i look at him more than eli as a comp point for what fitz could grow into. drop romo on a team with the cowboys talent, and no baggage (similar to what we are building here) and he could do some really good stuff. i think fitz can too. i dont know that either is good enough to string together the playoff runs to win it all, but we will see. obviously even with that a lot of luck is involved...

Edited by NoSaint

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

Nope, numbers don't lie. Fitz's career numbers are average. Yea yea he played well for 4 weeks. He doesn't impress me at all. I hope he proves me wrong. But if history repeats Cut Him Immediately, quit wasting time with this ragarmed qb...

I would like my "favorite" team to have a decent QB once every 20 years, that's not too much to ask.

That Tony Romo?

You just can't ignore that kind of production from the QB position. You have to make a TON of correct decisions to amass those kinds of numbers. I'm not a stats guy by any stretch so I base my opinion on what I've seen a player do. In this case the stats support my supposition that Romo is a very good QB.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't follow the career paths of assistant coaches -- particularly beyond the coordinator level. I had no idea who Lee was when the Bills hired him, and was more concerned about why Cortez left. But that's what we do -- we read, listen, and learn -- and I came to understand Lee's resume. He's clearly a bit of an anomaly in the NFL, since you don't hear about a lot of other "technicians" coaching QBs. I haven't anointed him a savior, and I don't think I've seen many (if any) others do that. I'm simply optimistic that a guy who focuses on fundamentals and mechanics is working with a QB who has weaknesses in those areas. If you suggest that Romo not winning a playoff game is a reason why Lee isn't worth a crap -- well, that's just silly. Chad Pennington got more out of less than any QB I can remember. And oh yeah, Lee worked with Eli Manning between the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

Yep, i had no idea who he was. This QB coach.

But i dont follow football very deeply. Just Bills. that keeps me busy enough.

Once we picked Lee up i absorbed as much as i could and certainly have been listening to his quotes and quotes about him. Thats the best i can do.

Thing is i may not even recognize any results this year. I may not notice the detail in his mechanics with his feet and lower body, or if he looks off a couple milleseconds quicker.

If Fitz and now Young and even B. Smith have mentioned him it seems to reflect how we have an very enthusiastic attitude on our team now abouts, and APPEAR to be focused on a run at the Bowl.

I feel and so do most all of us i think, that the horses are starting to all pull in the same direction. And i mean all of them.

But maybe Fitz /Lee thing comes down to Ryan can finally afford a full time caddie-mentor, now that he has a decent payday finally :D !

Anyone who is discounting this new found help for our QB's is just short sighted.

If Fitz does not improve on the details then it's not for lack of effort from Bills drive is it? And prolly not Fitzes lack of effort. His grit and smarts and his whole character are enough for me to stick with him. He is just a Buffalo Bill through and through in my estimation.

Now lets most all have a beer and enjoy the rising wave that is Buffalo Bills while we are able.

We can get back to critical dissecting and bitching when the season starts. :beer:

;)

That Tony Romo?

If stats won super bowls I could agree with them (stats). They don't. Romo has choked in at least one of the few playoff games he's played in. He also had talent around him and couldn't close the deal even once. I'm talking just winning a single playoff game, forget going deep in the playoffs. Sorry, not my guy,he's over hyped every year by the talking heads and fails every year. You can't even blame Jessica Simpson anymore. He's average, and don't think JJ's leash on him won't get shorter when he misses this year too.

If stats won super bowls I could agree with them (stats). They don't. Romo has choked in at least one of the few playoff games he's played in. He also had talent around him and couldn't close the deal even once. I'm talking just winning a single playoff game, forget going deep in the playoffs. Sorry, not my guy,he's over hyped every year by the talking heads and fails every year. You can't even blame Jessica Simpson anymore. He's average, and don't think JJ's leash on him won't get shorter when he misses this year too.

Romo is amazing......I am not sure if you have an HD tv or not.....If Romo qb'd the Bills we would win it all this year......We must not watch the same games....Yes his team has lost in the playoffs..."team" I would not put it all on Romo at all. His D killed them last year.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

By what measure is Romo average? 12 QBs make the playoffs each year. Are all 12 that made it last year better QBs than Romo? Only 6 QBs win a playoff game each year. Are all 6 from last year better than Romo? Is Joe Flacco really better than Romo? Is T.J. Yates? Hell, Tim Tebow won a playoff game last season.

You have to judge a player by his entire body of work. And by any measure, Romo's career has shown him to be an above average QB in the NFL. Regardless of the hype he gets by the media.

GO BILLS!!!

well i think weve said everything that can be said about fitz ... back in FEBRUARY

lol but yeah its the same stuff over and over again now

heres a summary:

1). fitz is tough and gutsy, a poor red haired mans favre who doesnt email pics of his ed wang to admittedly super hot chicks. just like a typical buffalo man. except we do anonymous email our weiners around cuz i know its not just me. but thats not a brett favre moment

c). fitz is smart, an amish mans version of stephen hawking with working arms and legs. too soon?

IV). right now fitz is just good enough to win you some games you shouldnt and lose you some you coulda won. iow a typical nfl starter. which is about where i would rank him, fifteen through eighteenth

Ǝ).this is fitzpatricks rich gannon season. well except that gannon had a total of 21 plays his entire three years out of college, then was a full time starter for three years, then sucked himself into being a backup for four years, then became a starter due to injury, then became a stud for four years. the point is this looks like the season fitz either turns it all on and becomes more like that franchise level guy we saw the first half season, or the jon kitna who can get you some wins and give you a chance to win even in the postseason but will never reliably steal enough games to make him franchise. so most other things about gannon are different but that one thing about turning the switch on is so important it deserves to be called his rich gannon moment. i dont make up the rules

honestly i think he does it. the line should be great this season, hes got two great backs, a legit te threat, and a blossoming legit number one wr. plus fitz wont have to make up for a defense that hemorrhages yardage (captain obvious moment). coach lees pattern is pretty sold and impressive and i think he continues that success putting fitz safely in the top ten

pretty obvious that closes the book. so anybody going to allentown?

By what measure is Romo average? 12 QBs make the playoffs each year. Are all 12 that made it last year better QBs than Romo? Only 6 QBs win a playoff game each year. Are all 6 from last year better than Romo? Is Joe Flacco really better than Romo? Is T.J. Yates? Hell, Tim Tebow won a playoff game last season.

You have to judge a player by his entire body of work. And by any measure, Romo's career has shown him to be an above average QB in the NFL. Regardless of the hype he gets by the media.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, lets look at it from another angle. If Romo was the Bills quarterback with the talent he has had around him in Dallas, and lost every playoff game he appeared in (in the years they even made it to the playoffs), would you still be on his bandwagon? he could have beat the Giants and been in the playoffs last year. His passing stats including the 20k passing yards in today crazy pass happy NFL in 5.5 seasons isn't what really counts.Ask Drew Brees,Aaron Rogers among others. It's championships that count, even a conference championship. Romo other than stats hasn't won anything yet. Yes, it's a team sport but too date he doesn't seem to elevate his play at all in crunch time. Some players can some cannot.

Yep, even Tebow won a playoff game, although he will never be a league leader in passing, that game he won,It was his to win or lose and he won it. I lump Romo in with Flaco BTW. Sorry just my opinion I'm sure ESPN disagrees big time. Like they do every year pimping Americas team with a quarterback who has won nothing yet.

Flame away

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

This X a 1000

His leadership is impressive even if he lacks anything in his game I think his moxy makes up for it. The guy can do what it takes of that I have no doubt. sounds like someone whos way more qualified than me ( coach Lee) feels the same.

Well, lets look at it from another angle. If Romo was the Bills quarterback with the talent he has had around him in Dallas, and lost every playoff game he appeared in (in the years they even made it to the playoffs), would you still be on his bandwagon? he could have beat the Giants and been in the playoffs last year. His passing stats including the 20k passing yards in today crazy pass happy NFL in 5.5 seasons isn't what really counts.Ask Drew Brees,Aaron Rogers among others. It's championships that count, even a conference championship. Romo other than stats hasn't won anything yet. Yes, it's a team sport but too date he doesn't seem to elevate his play at all in crunch time. Some players can some cannot.

Yep, even Tebow won a playoff game, although he will never be a league leader in passing, that game he won,It was his to win or lose and he won it. I lump Romo in with Flaco BTW. Sorry just my opinion I'm sure ESPN disagrees big time. Like they do every year pimping Americas team with a quarterback who has won nothing yet.

Flame away

No need to flame.

We'd all be just as disappointed as Dallas fans if Romo had been our QB and failed to win a playoff game. But I'm pretty sure that we'd really appreciate his skills as a QB as well. Pass happy league or not, Romo qualifies on his play alone. And yes, championships DO count but they are just a part of the body of work. And if you're suggesting that Tebow and Yates are as good as Romo because they've won a playoff game, what can I say?

I think we can both agree that neither of us gives a crap about what ESPN and other media have to say. They have agendas. I just watch players play and make up my own mind. Romo can play from what I've seen since he first replaced Bledsoe in Dallas.

GO BILLS!!!

Nope, you're not the only one. I also think it's kind of lame Fitz didn't haul himself off to one of the coaches around the country that do this sort of thing on his own dime. Lots of QBs do.

Other than E. Manning, T. Romo, and Brady (with his late coach from Michigan), can you name the "lots of quarterbacks?"

No need to flame.

We'd all be just as disappointed as Dallas fans if Romo had been our QB and failed to win a playoff game. But I'm pretty sure that we'd really appreciate his skills as a QB as well. Pass happy league or not, Romo qualifies on his play alone. And yes, championships DO count but they are just a part of the body of work. And if you're suggesting that Tebow and Yates are as good as Romo because they've won a playoff game, what can I say?

I think we can both agree that neither of us gives a crap about what ESPN and other media have to say. They have agendas. I just watch players play and make up my own mind. Romo can play from what I've seen since he first replaced Bledsoe in Dallas.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree he can play. He's just not what others may make him out too be at times.Lets call it media hype.

I guess what I was trying to say if he was a Bill with the same talent he's had in D is,

people here would be calling for his head with post season failures. To be honest I was surprised when the G-Men beat Dallas too get in the playoffs. I will even compliment the guy because he did not come into

the league as a highly touted prospect like some QB's in the past 2 drafts. he earned his way and deserves credit

GO BILLS!

Eh, this tinkering with Fitz's mechanics is as likely to succeed as a 30-yr-old pro golfer tinkering with his swing, or a 30-yr-old basketball player tinkering with his stroke, or a 30-yr-old baseball player tinkering his swing, etc.

If Fitz improves, great. But I'm not expecting it at his age and experience. You always revert back to what you've been doing for 20+ years.

They're working this angle hard. Truth is fitz never had poor mechanics.

^^

This. Bottom line they hitched their wagon to a backup QB. Fitz may end up being THE reason this team doesn't see a superbowl. If he starts to falter this year I see Young replacing him. I don't see how they can keep Fitz after this year if he doesn't deliver.

well i think weve said everything that can be said about fitz ... back in FEBRUARY

lol but yeah its the same stuff over and over again now

heres a summary:

1). fitz is tough and gutsy, a poor red haired mans favre who doesnt email pics of his ed wang to admittedly super hot chicks. just like a typical buffalo man. except we do anonymous email our weiners around cuz i know its not just me. but thats not a brett favre moment

c). fitz is smart, an amish mans version of stephen hawking with working arms and legs. too soon?

IV). right now fitz is just good enough to win you some games you shouldnt and lose you some you coulda won. iow a typical nfl starter. which is about where i would rank him, fifteen through eighteenth

Ǝ).this is fitzpatricks rich gannon season. well except that gannon had a total of 21 plays his entire three years out of college, then was a full time starter for three years, then sucked himself into being a backup for four years, then became a starter due to injury, then became a stud for four years. the point is this looks like the season fitz either turns it all on and becomes more like that franchise level guy we saw the first half season, or the jon kitna who can get you some wins and give you a chance to win even in the postseason but will never reliably steal enough games to make him franchise. so most other things about gannon are different but that one thing about turning the switch on is so important it deserves to be called his rich gannon moment. i dont make up the rules

honestly i think he does it. the line should be great this season, hes got two great backs, a legit te threat, and a blossoming legit number one wr. plus fitz wont have to make up for a defense that hemorrhages yardage (captain obvious moment). coach lees pattern is pretty sold and impressive and i think he continues that success putting fitz safely in the top ten

pretty obvious that closes the book. so anybody going to allentown?

I'm really starting to appreciate your posting style. Eclectic with its own inner rhythm and displaying a Kerouak-like freedom from the fetters of anything actually said yet somehow capturing the reduced essence, topped with a wasabi garnish and a small piece of stilton cheese.

Edited by Hopeful

Nope, numbers don't lie. Fitz's career numbers are average. Yea yea he played well for 4 weeks. He doesn't impress me at all. I hope he proves me wrong. But if history repeats Cut Him Immediately, quit wasting time with this ragarmed qb...

I would like my "favorite" team to have a decent QB once every 20 years, that's not too much to ask.

Utter Simplicity

Numbers do not lie, of course, numbers are incapable of lying, because they are not human. Numbers are not human.

Fit's career numbers are average, so the average for every other quarterback = Fitz's numbers. Hmm, it would be a miracle if his numbers were actually the average. Maybe I should be arsed to look it up some day.

He played well for 4 weeks, yeah, yeah, and he wasn't Aaron Rogers, right, and that's all there is to it, or not.

He is rag-armed, but he can throw the ball on a rope when he needs to, and can throw 60+ yrds, on film.

He's not a decent QB. Your opinion, but mine is different.

Havent seen anyone mention this yet, and can't remember which article, but Lee said Fitz looks off the defense too long. He doesn't give himself enough time to lead the receiver properly or see defenders jumping the route. Lee mentioned that he was also trying to get him to look at the receiver he is planning on throwing too a bit earlier and that should help both with getting proper foot work, properly leading the receivers, and giving bit more of a chance to see a defender that he didn't expect to be there.

Of course there also is chance he may look too early at times trying to fix this which would help the safety jump routes as well.

Between the mechanics and adjustments like these, think Fitz will improve this year. Course defenses have allot more film on him and what he is good at, so even with improvement, may not get the numbers he had early in year last year. He shouldn't drop to level he was at end of last year either though.

Think will help him be more consistent and with the improve defense, allow him to work on getting his won/lost back near 500 mark for Bills.

Edited by rstencel