Best political speech's

I love speeches. I'll post a few over time. The one phrase that always come to mind quickly (although perhaps not "political" necessarily):

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

Edited by TheNewBills

Not really.

And I actually did report it. 'Cause, y'know...it's a banning offense.

Just busting your balls. Where was this initially posted? Is it also a banning offense to plagiarize, and not give credit to someone else's work?

Um, Gettysburg address? Doesn't that blow away all others for all time?

OP was asking for the best speeches, not the best. Gettysburg is right up there. I actually googled "best political speeches" and Reagans 1987 speech was #94. Jesse F'n Jackson had two speeches "better than this one". Anyway one of my links had a narrative by the actual speechwriter for Reagans's speech and it was interesting to see all of the B.S. behind the scenes. If anyone had any doubt, Reagan called the shots in his presidency.

So how long until Hitler ends up in here?

The guy was a damn good speaker.

I like this authoritarian better though:

I ask this audience to-night whether or not we are going to give everything we have within us - not only material resources, but our moral and spiritual being, our very life and our very soul - in holy dedication to England that she shall not perish, but shall live in greatness. We are going, if the power lies within us (and it lies within us because within us is the spirit of the English), to say that our generation and our children shall not die like rats in Polish holes. They shall not die but they shall live to breathe the good English air, to love the fair English countryside, to see above them the English sky, to feel beneath their feet the English soil.

This heritage of England, by our struggle and our sacrifice, again we shall give to our children. And, with that sacred gift, we tell them that they come from that stock of men who went out from this small island in frail craft across storm-tossed seas to take in their brave hands the greatest Empire that man has ever seen; in which tomorrow our people shall create the highest civilisation that man has ever known. Remember, we say to our children, those who have gone before you. Remember those who through the centuries have died that Britain might live in greatness, in beauty and in splendour. Remember too that, in the spiritual values that our creed brings back to earth, these mighty spirits march beside you and you must be worthy of their company.

So we take by the hand these our children, to whom our struggle shall give back our England; with them we dedicate ourselves again to the memory of those who have gone before, and to that radiant wonder of finer and nobler life that our victory shall bring to our country. To the dead heroes of Britain, in sacred union, we say, "Like you we give ourselves to England: across the ages that divide us, across the glories of Britain that unite us, we gaze into your eyes and we give to you this holy vow: we will be true to-day, to-morrow, and forever. England lives."

Edited by LeviF91

OP was asking for the best speeches, not the best. Gettysburg is right up there. I actually googled "best political speeches" and Reagans 1987 speech was #94. Jesse F'n Jackson had two speeches "better than this one". Anyway one of my links had a narrative by the actual speechwriter for Reagans's speech and it was interesting to see all of the B.S. behind the scenes. If anyone had any doubt, Reagan called the shots in his presidency.

"Tear down this wall"? Jesse Jackson runs and hides under his bed whenever that speech is on TV. :lol:

"Tear down this wall"? Jesse Jackson runs and hides under his bed whenever that speech is on TV. :lol:

I can, without a doubt, say that I view Reagan as a true hero. He had it right and knew how to communicate it. The icing on the top was that he could do it with a smile. They need to expand MT. Rushmore.

I can, without a doubt, say that I view Reagan as a true hero. He had it right and knew how to communicate it. The icing on the top was that he could do it with a smile. They need to expand MT. Rushmore.

Reagan's life basically built him to be one of the greatest speakers in modern politics and so he was. Had multiple classics from the 60s-80s.

Reagan's life basically built him to be one of the greatest speakers in modern politics and so he was. Had multiple classics from the 60s-80s.

And he was one of our best presidents. Worthy of our adulation and placement on MT. Rushmore.

And he was one of our best presidents. Worthy of our adulation and placement on MT. Rushmore.

LOL a quick google search shows the National Park Service is in charge of that thing (obvious in retrospect)...short of personally repelling an alien invasion there will be no more additions.

LOL a quick google search shows the National Park Service is in charge of that thing (obvious in retrospect)...short of personally repelling an alien invasion there will be no more additions.

So basically, the only guy who could possibly have a chance is Teddy Roosevelt, and he's 1) already dead, and 2) already on it.

No need to get into Reagan there was good and bad with him but I admire him and consider him a great President. That said...minus Roosevelt (who may or may not be on there legitimately) Reagan cannot stand next to the other men on that monument.

No need to get into Reagan there was good and bad with him but I admire him and consider him a great President. That said...minus Roosevelt (who may or may not be on there legitimately) Reagan cannot stand next to the other men on that monument.

GW, AL and RR stand out there for me. It comes down to how much of a difference they have made. You may have other thoughts but I revere RR. He went against the grain and was right.

I'm just going to knowingly destroy the topic...break all sense of the topic title and reign hate all over the place lol. Either way maybe (unlikely but maybe) there will be some honest discussion about this speech in retrospect both critical and positive where it is called for (although probably all critical)...lol...just for fun. And I already know exactly what line everyone will talk about but I won't spoil it until the backlash begins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3uU_mCNcKM&list=FLJcAGGviXfI58PvYeu1JWdA&feature=mh_lolz

Edited by TheNewBills

I'm just going to knowingly destroy the topic...break all sense of the topic title and reign hate all over the place lol. Either way maybe (unlikely but maybe) there will be some honest discussion about this speech in retrospect both critical and positive where it is called for (although probably all critical)...lol...just for fun. And I already know exactly what line everyone will talk about but I won't spoil it until the backlash begins...

youtube.com/watch?v=k3uU_mCNcKM&list=FLJcAGGviXfI58PvYeu1JWdA&feature=mh_lolz

How about instead, we just pretend that you aren't dopey enough to put anything from this President into a thread that has "best" in the title?

Or, we could just say: sure, given it's performance, and importance, we should put aside partisanship, come together, give credit where it is due, and add Obama's teleprompter to Mt. Rushmore?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

How about instead, we just pretend that you aren't dopey enough to put anything from this President into a thread that has "best" in the title?

Or, we could just say: sure, given it's performance, and importance, we should put aside partisanship, come together, give credit where it is due, and add Obama's teleprompter to Mt. Rushmore?

LOL my God are you ever NOT angry? Serious question I mean do you have friends?

LOL my God are you ever NOT angry? Serious question I mean do you have friends?

What about the above makes you think I'm angry? I'm laughing...at you. Way back when, I was criticized for not using enough emoticons. I see that I've made that "mistake" again. So, here :lol:. And, :lol: and :lol:. There, that should firm up my quota for these last two posts.

Come on, you don't think a cartoon of Mt. Rushmore with a teleprompter carved in is funny at all?

1. Kennedy's speech concerning the Cuban Missle Crisis simply because we were on the brink of nuclear catastrophy and he piloted us through and won a high stakes game of "chicken" with the Cubans.

2. And if any single moment ever won an election, and presented a bright line contrast between two individuals, it was Bill Clinton's "tell me how this has affected you..." moment in 92. It wasn't a "speech," per se, but it had profound political impact. I watched it live and it made Clinton seem so real, understanding, and sympathetic, and Bush seem so foreign, unrelatable, and confused. This 5 minutes should be required viewing material for any candidate. Neither of them answered the actual question - but Clinton's unique compassion obfuscated that fact. Bush's first action, to look at his watch (though there are counter's everywhere for time checks). Clinton's first action "tell me how this has affected you again..." Clinton is still the best pure politician that has ever played the game. He is Michael Jordan circa 1996. I voted for him in 1996 and I probably would again if it weren't for that pesky 22nd Amendment:

Ya they make a big deal about that on the "Amerian Experience: Clinton" (a good PBS documentary available for free online) .... it's a good sign of his general ability to ...basically talk emotional when someone doesn't really know what's going on lol. But all in all I think it gets elevated a bit more than it should. Either way Clinton was a maniac campaigner one of the most relentless politicians ever.

Edited by TheNewBills

I get that you hate the President but you can't give him any credit at all? When all someone does is trash a guy, it makes their points harder to take. I'm no Romney fan, but it would be stupid to say he isn't a good business man. It's the same way when people try to say Obama is dumb. He is a very good speaker.

BTW, it would be real interesting to see what people on this board would have said about arguable the greatest Presidential speaker ever, Lincoln. The guy lost a million elections and was pretty liberal. Apparantely, he also killed vampires in his spare time. But who has more memorable speeches than Abe (Lincoln-Douglas for example). Add to that his super sweet chin beard, he was a legend.

Bill Clinton's "tell me how this has affected you..." moment in 92. It wasn't a "speech," per se, but it had profound political impact. I watched it live and it made Clinton seem so real, understanding, and sympathetic, and Bush seem so foreign, unrelatable, and confused.

And as a result we failed to reelect the last good President we had and they've been progressively worse ever since.

I get that you hate the President but you can't give him any credit at all? When all someone does is trash a guy, it makes their points harder to take. I'm no Romney fan, but it would be stupid to say he isn't a good business man. It's the same way when people try to say Obama is dumb. He is a very good speaker.

BTW, it would be real interesting to see what people on this board would have said about arguable the greatest Presidential speaker ever, Lincoln. The guy lost a million elections and was pretty liberal. Apparantely, he also killed vampires in his spare time. But who has more memorable speeches than Abe (Lincoln-Douglas for example). Add to that his super sweet chin beard, he was a legend.

This place would destroy Lincoln.

And as a result we failed to reelect the last good President we had and they've been progressively worse ever since.

I'm on record as being a fan of H.W. He was a good president who ran up against a superior politician.

But Clinton presided over one of the most prosperity laden times in this country's history. Whether fortuitous or not, that was a period of strong economic growth and the street was a fan for his impact on business and policies that facilitated economic development.

Of course you can find something here or there that would allow you to nitpick his tenure, but in large measure, that is how those 8 years went.

I'm on record as being a fan of H.W. He was a good president who ran up against a superior politician.

But Clinton presided over one of the most prosperity laden times in this country's history. Whether fortuitous or not, that was a period of strong economic growth and the street was a fan for his impact on business and policies that facilitated economic development.

Of course you can find something here or there that would allow you to nitpick his tenure, but in large measure, that is how those 8 years went.

As much as Clinton takes flack for his tax hike, and although he did have the good fortune to preside over the internet explosion, he also facilitated that economic growth with market friendly policies.

From Arthur Laffer:

But Clinton had, very early in his first term …

One income tax hike cut that almost cost him almost everything. Then he became more Reagan than Reagan the day afterwards. He lost the House, he lost the Senate, he lost the governorships, he lost the state legislatures. And then he became more Reagan than Reagan: He got Nafta through Congress, against the unions, against his own party. He reappointed Reagan’s Fed chairman twice. He signed welfare reform, that you actually have to look for a job to get welfare. He cut government spending as a share of GDP by 3.5 percentage points. No president ever has come anywhere near him on that. He had the biggest capital gains tax cut in our nation’s history in ’97. He got rid of the retirement test on Social Security. This guy was a great president and I voted for him twice.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2007/12/07/talking_to_arthur_laffer_about/#ixzz1x3roDt4z

1. Kennedy's speech concerning the Cuban Missle Crisis simply because we were on the brink of nuclear catastrophy and he piloted us through and won a high stakes game of "chicken" with the Cubans.

2. And if any single moment ever won an election, and presented a bright line contrast between two individuals, it was Bill Clinton's "tell me how this has affected you..." moment in 92. It wasn't a "speech," per se, but it had profound political impact. I watched it live and it made Clinton seem so real, understanding, and sympathetic, and Bush seem so foreign, unrelatable, and confused. This 5 minutes should be required viewing material for any candidate. Neither of them answered the actual question - but Clinton's unique compassion obfuscated that fact. Bush's first action, to look at his watch (though there are counter's everywhere for time checks). Clinton's first action "tell me how this has affected you again..." Clinton is still the best pure politician that has ever played the game. He is Michael Jordan circa 1996. I voted for him in 1996 and I probably would again if it weren't for that pesky 22nd Amendment:

youtube.com/watch?v=7ffbFvKlWqE

Bush's face at 3:46 is priceless. He's like "Oh man, I'm screwed!"

Jesus...H...Christ...you guys are taking something I thought was funny....as hatred? I don't hate Obama the way you hated Bush. Think about that, and deal with it already.

I assure you: this is less about me, and more about you. I think Obama's a nice, smart, good guy...who is simply incompetent. You're not going to see me calling him a liar, stupid, or an excellent liar but completely stupid, at the same time :blink:, evil, or any of the ridiculous crap you guys said about Bush.

No matter how much you wish I would, I'm not going to do it. I don't need to assassinate someone's character, because I can't construct a logical argument based on fact. Now, I have no trouble assassinating the characters here. That's because: they largely deserve it. :lol:

Also, please refrain form the "Lincoln was a Liberal" canard on this board. It is historically ridiculous. Yes, the guy who created corporate America...was a liberal :wallbash: Perhaps the "killing vampires" thing is accurate? After all, he made it so that the vampires of England, France, those in the South, all could not continue to profit off of our natural resources, agricultural products, and cheap labor. Now...cue YOUR JOKE: he killed those vampires, just to replace them with new vampires.

:facepalm: (God I wish we had that emoticon)