Who's Your Biggest Bills Creep of All Time ??

I don’t want to badmouth the deceased but I’ve also heard that he was a top notch a**hole too.

From my talks with people in the front office he was a nice guy. But yes, the way he left Buffalo was not the best.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Fina.

He was a first round bust.

He lead to Kelly retiring early because Kelly just got killed from the blind side as Fina was at total turnstile when whe wasn't injured.

He was a well known drunk around town in the 90's.

The coup de gras was when I ran into him at a bar in Scottsdale Az and chatted him up about Buffalo. He was hammered, could barely walk, and had two ugly drunk hags on each arm, fatter than ever and he continued to tell me in a drunken slur how crappy of a city Buffalo was. I hated him from that moment forward...Creep!

Interesting because I remember reading an article about him that he liked the city praising all the live theater the city offered.

McGahee. Long before he came down with a severe case of diarrhea of the mouth and slammed Buffalo and it's citizens, he acted like an ass towards fans at training camp and always acted like he was better then anyone else.

First of all, John Butler was a decent person. I met him two times and he was very nice.

As for a creep, how about Ronnie Harmon? A guy with gambling connections drops an easy playoff game winning TD? Come on now.

As for the biggest creep in all of Buffalo history, one Orenthal James Simpson. Arguably the best player in franchise history forever sullies the name Buffalo Bills.

You know he was cleared of these charges, right? Someone else was actually convicted if I'm not mistaken.

As for my biggest creep, I don't know if I would single out one guy. I went to school at Fredonia in the 90's and heard some stories of really terrible player behavior when training camp was still there. But everyone knows about the jerks. How about the good guys? Who have you met and been pleasantly surprised by?

O.K. I know it's getting to a slow time of the year & we all are looking for things to talk about & while answering another post i was inclined to ask (b/c of my answer in the other post) who might be other Bills fans biggest creep player of all time for the Bills ??

This has to be a player that has flat out screwed the Bills (in your opinion) as far as taking advantage of the team & the organization in some way shape or form ?? :wallbash:

At first glance 2 come to mind for me any way in the recent past of the Bills , those being Willis McGahee & then there is Jason Peters & i will explain why i feel these 2 are a top my list .

Then there is Jason "the turd" Peters - the Bills draft him as a tight end (if I'm not mistaken which i could be) & realize that his talent lies at a different position , take him under a nurturing wing and show him that his true potential lies at a different position of which he becomes one of the best at & what does he do ???

He holds out not once but 2 different seasons during OTA's & such & i for one thinks may have elongated a couple of so called injuries in a preseason to get his point across . Then when the opportunity arises rather than working out or at least going to the Bills FO & seeing if they can give a counter offer or at least one that would be of equal status he bolts for the big bucks (greed wins again) but charma has come around to bite him right in the ass !! :oops:

I know there are a few others but with that i will leave it up to the rest of you to see what your thoughts are of others & of my picks for

"The Biggest Bills Creeps of All Time"

i'm all in favor of a good witch hunt, but there are a few big holes in the case you lay out against Jason Peters.

-- he held out only once.

-- he didn't exactly bolt, he was traded, though it's clear that he wasn't against the move.

also, a little perspective is in order as to why things escalated to the point of the holdout. in negotiating his first contract (after his rookie year), Peters signed a deal based on him taking over at right tackle, a job he eventually won after beating out Mike Williams. a year later, the Bills thought he was so good, that they installed him at left tackle, midway through the 2006 season.

the Bills then went on a big free-agent spending spree in March 2007, when they committed some $60 million in salaries to sign Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. Peters continued as a fixture at left tackle, and played so well that he earned a Pro Bowl selection that season.

it wasn't until the 2008 offseason when the trouble began.

Peters felt he had already out-performed his contract, in making the Pro Bowl and making right tackle money while holding down the most important position on the line. it was also not lost on him that he was getting less money than two other linemen playing less-important spots, Walker (taking over at Peters' former position at right tackle) and Dockery (at left guard).

so much for being rewarded for becoming, as even you concede, "one of the best at" his position.

though Peters could be criticized for going the hold-out route too far fast, it's also fair that the Bills were open to criticism for failing to be pro-active in realizing a problem could develop, because their offensive line salary structure was way out of whack.

and, when it comes to karma, it proves to be a two-way street. Peters did get his money, while it could be argued that the Bills LT spot hasn't exactly been the same since Peters' departure, and is now going through another change.

jw

edits: changes "too far" to "too fast."

Edited by john wawrow

Some one should mention Travis Henery.

There, I just did.

Remember that NFTA ad campaign that ran on the scoreboard during games? The ad would ask several questions and the answer was always "15"....and the crowd would yell it. Right before the crowd yelled it I screamed out to my section: "how old is Travis Henry's girlfriend?" Of course the section screamed "15!!!" I got many high-fives.

Earlier that week Henry was implicated is some seedy story with a 15 yr. old girl.

Creepy.

John Fina.

He lead to Kelly retiring early because Kelly just got killed from the blind side as Fina was at total turnstile when whe wasn't injured.

The coup de gras was when I ran into him at a bar in Scottsdale Az and chatted him up about Buffalo. He was hammered, could barely walk, and had two ugly drunk hags on each arm, fatter than ever and he continued to tell me in a drunken slur how crappy of a city Buffalo was. I hated him from that moment forward...Creep!

I guess sometimes it's how you meet the people. I literally crashed into him one day in the early 90s as a college kid at Network for some reason (not sure if it was in rock show or nightclub mods) and he had the most smug, outta-my-way-lower-form-of-life scowl on his face.

A few years later, I worked at a local indie record store that had a deal with Alex Van Pelt's 97 Rock(?) show which consisted of Van Pelt, Fina, and Ted Washington having gift certificates there. Fina would come in and we'd talk about music for hours, trading recommendations. He was open to suggestion, erudite, and his tastes ran beyond pop radio. Overall, he was genuinely friendly. Too bad to hear about his drunken diss, but my experience with him was the impression he absolutely loved the city.

First of all, John Butler was a decent person. I met him two times and he was very nice.

I can't go into too much detail on this but he treated my Mom and everyone she worked with like crap whenever he came into their office. They had to deal with him a couple of times a year for 10+ years so it wasn’t like he just happened to be having a bad day one time. They were really happy when he left. Who knows, maybe that was just the way he treated women because their male boss apparently had no issues and never turned away his business.

The one guy who I couldn't stand as a person was Bruce Smith. He was a hell of a player; we all know that but the guy in my book was a complete jerk. He cried about money continuously and he milked injuries to stay off the practice field. Also, how many times did he get a DWI. He was all about himself and that's why he hung around the NFL so long to pick up the sack record. My biggest gripe on him though was the night I went to Jim Kelly's bar downtown and I saw him standing by himself near the stairway. After several minutes of trying to build the courage to say hello I finally went up to him explaining that I was a big Bills fan and that I wish him and the team a lot of luck for the upcoming season. He looked down at me without saying a word and while my hand was out trying to make a kind gesture to shake his hand he looked away without saying one word to me. I put my hand down, feeling like an idiot and I walked away that night saying that I wil never root for that $%#^& again...

I know you are not directing this to me, but, essentially, Cribbs wanted the money he was worth, Mr Wilson would not give it to him, because he was under contract...so Cribbs used the only leveredge he had, and went to the new USFL, after playing out his original contract with the Bills. Chanlder81 is right, Cribbs departure put a big hole in what had been an upper echelon offense...but I contend, if Mr Wilson had done the right thing with Cribbs, as some owners (not all) would have, we would be remembering Cribbs as one of the all-time great Buffalo Bills, rather than discussing if he was a "creep" or not.

Ultimatley, Cribbs departure was bad for the Bills, and bad for Cribbs. He ended up playing, IIRC, effectively, 4 football seasons in 2 years, and was a shell of himself when he returned to the Bills, after the USFL folded. He went on to be somewhat productive as a back-up for the 49ers, but was never the same.

Somebody needs to bring it up. Ralph is Cheap! There, I said it. <_<

John Fina.

Not defending Finas play here. But quite of few high profile players on the team were well known drunks and worse in the 90's. Just sayin

The one guy who I couldn't stand as a person was Bruce Smith. He was a hell of a player; we all know that but the guy in my book was a complete jerk. He cried about money continuously and he milked injuries to stay off the practice field. Also, how many times did he get a DWI. He was all about himself and that's why he hung around the NFL so long to pick up the sack record. My biggest gripe on him though was the night I went to Jim Kelly's bar downtown and I saw him standing by himself near the stairway. After several minutes of trying to build the courage to say hello I finally went up to him explaining that I was a big Bills fan and that I wish him and the team a lot of luck for the upcoming season. He looked down at me without saying a word and while my hand was out trying to make a kind gesture to shake his hand he looked away without saying one word to me. I put my hand down, feeling like an idiot and I walked away that night saying that I wil never root for that $%#^& again...

You could say a lot of the same things about Jim Kelly. I know he is belvoed now, but he was hardly a saint and refused to come here at first.

And remember the Darwin Walker debacle?

i'm all in favor of a good witch hunt, but there are a few big holes in the case you lay out against Jason Peters.

-- he held out only once.

-- he didn't exactly bolt, he was traded, though it's clear that he wasn't against the move.

also, a little perspective is in order as to why things escalated to the point of the holdout. in negotiating his first contract (after his rookie year), Peters signed a deal based on him taking over at right tackle, a job he eventually won after beating out Mike Williams. a year later, the Bills thought he was so good, that they installed him at left tackle, midway through the 2006 season.

the Bills then went on a big free-agent spending spree in March 2007, when they committed some $60 million in salaries to sign Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker. Peters continued as a fixture at left tackle, and played so well that he earned a Pro Bowl selection that season.

it wasn't until the 2008 offseason when the trouble began.

Peters felt he had already out-performed his contract, in making the Pro Bowl and making right tackle money while holding down the most important position on the line. it was also not lost on him that he was getting less money than two other linemen playing less-important spots, Walker (taking over at Peters' former position at right tackle) and Dockery (at left guard).

so much for being rewarded for being, as even you concede, becoming "one of the best at" his position.

though Peters could be criticized for going the hold-out route too far, it's also fair that the Bills were open to criticism for failing to be pro-active in realizing a problem could develop, because their offensive line salary structure was way out of whack.

and, when it comes to karma, it proves to be a two-way street. Peters did get his money, while it could be argued that the Bills LT spot hasn't exactly been the same since Peters' departure, and is now going through another change.

jw

Spot on regarding Peters. Thanks

Smerlas is one of those legends that won't die. Third and short any quarterback in the league could draw him off-sides. He admitted in his book that he laid down to get Hank Bullough fired. I still remember the radio show he and Haslet did during their playing days-totally arrogant jerks.