What have the Bills done wrong this offseason?

We are all quite aware of the wildly succesfull free agency period and draft the Bills have had this off season.

But where do my fellow posters think they have come up short. Or made the incorrect choice. My only disagreement with there moves was to let D. Florence go and keep Mcgee. Why? Simple Florence was able to stay healthy and on the field. If Mcgee is healthy he is a better player. This is my only beef.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting a better TE option. If/when Chandler gets hurt we have nothing of a threat at TE.

I agree and not looking at a #2 option at WR i would have like to have seen a guy with some numbers come in. But they did try I give them credit.

I think next years dreaft will have to address a LB, WR, TE, OL (can never have enough good talent there)

Not addressing the WR position via trade or free agency to get an established veteran.

I agree, via draft or through FA, but its very possible Nix/Gailey figured between Hagan, Easley and Graham a solid #2 will emerge. My moneys on Marcus Easley.

It appears to me Nix /Gailey deemed the O-line was the biggest priority for the offense which is very refreshing to see.(Very calculated/ well thought out draft in my opinion)

Skipping over Floyd was hard for me personally because I love a good WR, but we needed Gilmore to solidify the secondary.

Lots of good weapons for Gailey to play with along with a beefed up Buffalo O-line.

Offense will be fine...

Edited by Fig Newton

I agree, via draft or through FA, but its very possible Nix/Gailey figured between Hagan, Easley and Graham a solid #2 will emerge. My moneys on Marcus Easley.

It appears to me Nix /Gailey deemed the O-line was the biggest priority for the offense which is very refreshing to see.(Very calculated/ well thought out draft in my opinion)

Skipping over Floyd was hard for me personally because I love a good WR, but we needed Gilmore to solidify the secondary.

Lots of good weapons for Gailey to play with along with a beefed up Buffalo O-line.

Offense will be fine...

They took the approach that both lines needed upgrades. While they had the interior of both the OL and DL pretty solidified, they needed edge guys. They brought in two very good DE and drafted two promising OT. You still win this game in the trenches.

Brady and NE has always had stellar OL play during his tenure there. I think Buffalo's two lines should be among the best in the league. Some growing pains will occurr, but in two years from now these lines will be amazing.

If you have a good Oline you make your running backs, qb, and receivers all better.

Same goes on D. If your Dline can win the battle up front, the second and third tier will benefit.

I think the real benefit of having a 70y/o GM was just that. His age and wisdom. The game has changed and evolved, but you have to win up front still.

I didn't like the attempt to sign Meachem. That guy is nothing special. I'm glad they passed once his price tag got high, so no harm done there. I didn't like the Teej Graham pick, but we'll see if it works out. I wasn't thrilled about them pursuing Mark Anderson (if you don't know what "regression to the mean" is, google it), but for the money they got him at, it's not a bad risk. I question the wisdom of drafting a 27-year-old backup C who never played C until after his college career was over, but that was a late pick, so whatever. I didn't like the Vince Young signing due to possible attitude issues; hopefully Young either proves me wrong or gets cut in training camp. I would have liked to see a little bit of attention paid to the DT spot -- I know our starters are awesome when healthy, but our backups are mostly 3-4 DEs and underwhelming NTs. Maybe they plan on going Giants style and rotating DEs at DT on passing downs.

And that's everything I can think of. Overall, I'm very happy with this offseason; it's the most I've liked an offseason in a long time. Obviously it would've been nice to draft a QB as a developmental guy, but the only one I liked at all (that we had a shot at) was Russell Wilson, and the 3rd round seems way too early to draft that guy. Frankly I'm stunned that Pete Carroll pulled that move, especially after signing Matt Flynn. Even though I hated the Graham pick, I don't know that I would've preferred them to take Wilson in that spot.

Disagree w the Drayton Florence note. He's old and got toasted regularly. With Mckelvin Gilmore Rogers Brooks among others on the team, I don't see why Drayton would ever see the field.

I have no complaints whatsoever w the offseason. Maybe qb in 3rd round could have been nice but whatchagondo ?

Light out defense in 2012 and Fitz don't stink it up = playoffs

I didn't like the attempt to sign Meachem. That guy is nothing special. I'm glad they passed once his price tag got high, so no harm done there. I didn't like the Teej Graham pick, but we'll see if it works out. I wasn't thrilled about them pursuing Mark Anderson (if you don't know what "regression to the mean" is, google it), but for the money they got him at, it's not a bad risk. I question the wisdom of drafting a 27-year-old backup C who never played C until after his college career was over, but that was a late pick, so whatever. I didn't like the Vince Young signing due to possible attitude issues; hopefully Young either proves me wrong or gets cut in training camp. I would have liked to see a little bit of attention paid to the DT spot -- I know our starters are awesome when healthy, but our backups are mostly 3-4 DEs and underwhelming NTs. Maybe they plan on going Giants style and rotating DEs at DT on passing downs.

And that's everything I can think of. Overall, I'm very happy with this offseason; it's the most I've liked an offseason in a long time. Obviously it would've been nice to draft a QB as a developmental guy, but the only one I liked at all (that we had a shot at) was Russell Wilson, and the 3rd round seems way too early to draft that guy. Frankly I'm stunned that Pete Carroll pulled that move, especially after signing Matt Flynn. Even though I hated the Graham pick, I don't know that I would've preferred them to take Wilson in that spot.

Agree Meachum was a small piece in a 5000 yard passing offense last year w very subpar hands. IMO he would have been terrible for buff.

Not getting a better TE option. If/when Chandler gets hurt we have nothing of a threat at TE.

Agree chandlers okay would be nice to have one of these top tier TE's that are rippin the Nfl up

But his plan failed. What was the next plan? He wasn't the only option out there.

My assumption is that the backup plan was signing Mark Anderson and drafting a WR. If they had signed Meachum my guess is they would have drafted a DE high.

Well, let's just see how the season goes. This team had lots of holes and I think filling every single one of them in one off season is a bit much to ask. I think they did an excellent job of recognizing where they needed help and trying to address those needs. Expecting them to address every single need from a team that went 6-10 and was putrid on defense the whole season is asking a bit much. I believe that the off season was a success and we'll see how it plays out on the field.

As others have pointed-out, they went after Meachem. But they drafted Graham and will get Easley back. And there are still some FA WR's out there like Edwards and Burress.

As for TE, I agree. Although I want to see what Smith and Onobun can do.

We are all quite aware of the wildly succesfull free agency period and draft the Bills have had this off season.

But where do my fellow posters think they have come up short. Or made the incorrect choice. My only disagreement with there moves was to let D. Florence go and keep Mcgee. Why? Simple Florence was able to stay healthy and on the field. If Mcgee is healthy he is a better player. This is my only beef.

I would have liked to get a top tier Linebacker in the draft or FA, I just don't get the feeling we're that strong there.

I do, however, think that we''l be just some at WR, I think the crowd we have there has talent, and is ready for primetime. The additions have speed, and hopefully Easley will finally stay healthy and emerge. Just a hunch.

Love the Mario pick

Like the Anderson pick

between love and like on the Young pick (at the worst he's a good backup with a Bette record than our starter, at best he either wins the job outright or takes over midseason for either an ailing Fitz or injured Fitz, takes us to the playoffs and we all finally think we have a franchise QB). Honestly I'm good with either scenario. I LOVE Fitz and want him to play really well, but if he doesn't then we rely on Young.

As far as not picking up a WR, TE, LB earlier in the draft or in FA I'm ok with. Buddy knows what he's doing and I trust that he thinks we have something with the guys on the roster already.

The draft:

Love Gilmore. This guy alongside Aaron Williams will be our shutdown corners for years.

Love Glenn. Will be our starting LT with Hairston starting at RT eventually. Maybe not from day 1 but eventually. I love how he has been starting and Hairston is in at RT starting during the workouts this week. Chan will see that's he's got to male room and get his best guys on the field at once and will make this perminant at some point.

I have no clue what to think of Graham. Great, he's fast. I get it. That still doesn't make me feel any different about him. To me he seems like Roscoe or Lee version 2.0. I've never agreed with it. Never will. Small, lightweight, elusive burners are not good in this league. Maybe for a year or two but that's about it. Example: Evans, Roscoe, Hester, Hall, etc..... This list goes on and on. I'm not saying he can't or won't be good but I'm cautious to say the least. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

Bradham, Carder were both great pickups. One or both of these guys will start within a year or so.

Sanders is a good guy as a backup at least.

Brooks really excites me. The guy is FAST. The guy was a backup on LSUs defense. They produce CBs like Penn State produces LBs. I have no doubt this guy along with Rodger from last year will be battling it out for the nickle and dime spots when McGee gets cut after suffering a loose hangnail on opening day kickoff and McKelvin hits FA at the end of the season.

Florance was a head scratcher to say the least. Personally, McGee should have been let go. At least you can count on Florance to be there when week 3 rolls around. But McGee is better when healthy. It's just he hasn't been healthy more than 4 games since 08. (sarcasm font needed) at the end of the day I'd rather have Florance but I think Buddy was actually doing him a favor and cutting him early so that he could catch in somewhere early enough to male a play for a starting role.

At the end of the day. I think this might be our best offseason EVER. At least in paper. Of course we will have to wait till the bullits start flying but to say I'm optimistic would be an understatement. Can't wait for even training camps to start. Can't wait till it's all right around the corner.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Anderson's mean was skewed by injury and playing time issues. His year with the Pats, I hope, shows what this guy is capable of when used properly.

I have no clue what to think of Graham. Great, he's fast. I get it. That still doesn't make me feel any different about him. To me he seems like Roscoe or Lee version 2.0. I've never agreed with it. Never will. Small, lightweight, elusive burners are not good in this league. Maybe for a year or two but that's about it. Example: Evans, Roscoe, Hester, Hall, etc..... This list goes on and on. I'm not saying he can't or won't be good but I'm cautious to say the least. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

TJ Graham is 5'11" and was listed at 188 lbs. Roscoe was listed at almost 15 lbs lighter. People need to stop comparing the 2.

Good offseason. We addressed everything, from back-up QB to kicker, we upgraded. Sure we could've gotten another OLB but I don't think there was anyone out there that the Bills liked.

I'm indifferent about Florence's release; he would've been a good back-up (not sure if he would've been an over paid back-up) but him as a starter I didn't like. It seemed to me that every time it got down to the wire, he would take a bad PI call and the other team would score a touchdown. He did a lot of good things but not enough to cover up all his bad penalties. He did make Sanchez flinch, though, and I will always laugh and remember it.

P.S. one thing they could've done was release White and Choice and add a better, more well-rounded running back because we only have 1 great running back and 1 really good, on the edge of great running back. I just wished we had a really, really good running back. :wallbash:

Edited by Teen Insight

McGee's injuries may be part of the plan. Envision this scenario: McGee begins the year as a starting cornerback. Meanwhile, some younger player--such as Gilmore or Aaron Williams--is put into the nickle or dime back role. The younger player gets some experience in that role, watches and learns, adapts to the new defense, etc.

Then McGee goes down with an injury. The younger player is put into McGee's starting spot. If the younger player does well, the coaches leave him there even after McGee returns to full health. If it's clear the younger player needs more time before he's ready to be a starter, McGee is put back into the starting lineup when healthy. This will allow the Bills to evaluate one of their young CBs, and get him starting experience, without having to commit to him as a permanent starter.

Of course, there's always a chance McGee won't get injured. But like you said, McGee, when healthy, is a better player than Florence. Whether McGee gets injured or stays healthy, the plan--if the above is indeed their plan--makes sense either way.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

They took the approach that both lines needed upgrades. While they had the interior of both the OL and DL pretty solidified, they needed edge guys. They brought in two very good DE and drafted two promising OT. You still win this game in the trenches.

Brady and NE has always had stellar OL play during his tenure there. I think Buffalo's two lines should be among the best in the league. Some growing pains will occurr, but in two years from now these lines will be amazing.

If you have a good Oline you make your running backs, qb, and receivers all better.

Same goes on D. If your Dline can win the battle up front, the second and third tier will benefit.

I think the real benefit of having a 70y/o GM was just that. His age and wisdom. The game has changed and evolved, but you have to win up front still.

well said/posted, it all starts up front...