Big Problems With Bills Offense ....

Owen

I think the last place you want to look for an accurate macro-level view of the Bills offense is the media. They are all about glamour. Instead, try looking at the actual offensive rankings from last season. NFL.com shows that last year's Bills offense was actually ranked as follows out of 32 teams:

- 13th in rushing

- 15th in passing

- 14th in yards

- 14th in scoring

Based on these metrics, I don't see "big problems".

Plus all the injuries offensive side of the ball. They could be in the ten top of all those categories this year.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually read the OP, before ripping this poor guy and calling him a troll for posting what he thinks to be the national perception, not his own perception, of the team.

I doubt anyone would criticize a post without reading it first.

The poster tries to project what he/she believes the "national media" sees in the Bills offense.

The picture the OP paints is ridiculously negative. There's no way the "national media" sees the Bills this way.

Here's what James Walker sees in the Bills offense (published yesterday on ESPN). He has the Bills offense ranked 2nd in the AFC East, ahead of the Jets and Dolphins:

No. 2: Buffalo Bills

Analysis: The Bills have the potential to be solid on offense. The big question is, can quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick prove he is the long-term solution? Fitzpatrick looked fine early in 2011 and fell off in the second half of last season. Injured ribs were mentioned as one of the reasons. Running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller should be one of the best one-two punches in the NFL this year. Steve Johnson is a solid receiver coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. The Bills also have a versatile offensive line that fits their wide open style. The Bills still need to find their No. 2 receiver. David Nelson filled the void at the end of last year, but he's better in the slot. Donald Jones is coming back from injury and rookie T.J. Graham will get a hard look. If the Bills figure that out, their offense can be dangerous.

Again, this offense was 14th in points and yards gained in spite of a huge onslaught of injuries.

Chan Gailey is typically characterized (again, justified or not) by the national media as an offensive mastermind.

The OPs post is ridiculously inaccurate and I'm amazed at how many of you really want to hold his post to your bosoms.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42620/ranking-afc-east-offenses

At the beginning of the OP's post he state this is what he believes the "media" thinks. That doesn't mean it's what he himself thinks.

BTW....not all media about the offense is bad. Check this out......Linky

Um. Well. I think I used the term "belief system". That would seem to encompass both what he himself thinks, and what he believes the media thinks.

It's a very valid point that the media has been giving the Bills some chops and props this off-season, including the Bills O. Gailey also gets consistent props as an offensive thinker in the media.

If someone believes that a third party holds negative beliefs, in the face of either little information or of information to the contrary, to what extent do their statements reflect "what they believe the third party thinks", and to what extent do they reflect their own belief system? Ow, my head hurts, that's too close to psi-colleg-y.

I would actually read the OP, before ripping this poor guy and calling him a troll for posting what he thinks to be the national perception, not his own perception, of the team.

I don't think the OP is a troll. But, how do you equate statements like, "RB ... Freddy Jackson... Another free agent pickup who starts..." or "Vince Young.. Backup QB... Most likely washed up," or "Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills..." as national perception? Show me a serious media outlet that has referred to Gailey as "a big time loser," or has shown Jackson anything but respect. And while some pundits have expressed some wariness regarding Vince Young (a concern that I share), I don't remember anyone saying anything close to "most likely washed up."

Come to think of it, maybe this guy is a troll.

Here's a little assignment for the OP and his/hers supporters:

Find one single article which states any beliefs even remotely similar to what the OP states the "national media" thinks of the Bills offense.

(hint: don't bother looking because you won't find one)

More than the broken ribs...I think the main problems were that teams figured out that Fitzy cant beat them with the long throw and they started pinching in.And on top of that Chan didn't adjust properly by ,for example,using the running game more.

I get that the OP is over playing the whole "whoa is me" schtick, "the media hates us" gag. But a lot of posters are over reacting to the post with some pretty "out there" comments. Seriously, I really like this forum but man you guys are harsh.

More than the broken ribs...I think the main problems were that teams figured out that Fitzy cant beat them with the long throw and they started pinching in.And on top of that Chan didn't adjust properly by ,for example,using the running game more.

That's how I saw it as well. I saw no offensive genius out of Gailey.

I hope to see some this year though, or at least some kind of willingness to adjust. Plus if the new QB coach can help Fitz become more accurate that would be a huge help.

Here's what James Walker sees in the Bills offense (published yesterday on ESPN). He has the Bills offense ranked 2nd in the AFC East, ahead of the Jets and Dolphins:

No. 2: Buffalo Bills

Analysis: The Bills have the potential to be solid on offense. The big question is, can quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick prove he is the long-term solution? Fitzpatrick looked fine early in 2011 and fell off in the second half of last season. Injured ribs were mentioned as one of the reasons. Running backs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller should be one of the best one-two punches in the NFL this year. Steve Johnson is a solid receiver coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. The Bills also have a versatile offensive line that fits their wide open style. The Bills still need to find their No. 2 receiver. David Nelson filled the void at the end of last year, but he's better in the slot. Donald Jones is coming back from injury and rookie T.J. Graham will get a hard look. If the Bills figure that out, their offense can be dangerous.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/42620/ranking-afc-east-offenses

I agree with James Walker regarding the Bills standing in the AFCE. But, I'm surprised at how many people disagree. In fact, oddsmakers in Vegas still have the Bills positioned last in the division. The Las Vegas Hilton is even accepting bets for week one of the regular season (the only sports book I know of to take such bets so early) and have the Jets at a 5.5 advantage. And, the consensus is that the Dolphins are slightly favored over the Bills for the conference (18/1 and 22/1, respectively).

Personally, considering the sad state of affairs in Miami, and with Rex Ryan saying such preposterous things as, "we will be like two different teams," I don't see how we aren't a better team. But, one thing I have learned is that the odds makers that the Vegas sports books rely on for their numbers are very good at their jobs.

The op has generated some energy here. But those who are defending his/hers/trolls perception of the medias perception and spinning it negatively do not by any means leave him compeletely irresponsible for his statements.

The poster just insulted the Bills, then sat back and watched. while the forum divides itself. good work Kid.

no links no basis no thoughtful comments except all our players suck. yippee, 52 responses and two of my own.

We have a team and coaches we should have pride in of late.

Geebus we have Pete Metz as a TE coach! how perfect is that?! Most of us could take that whole list and say why these guys are getting ready for playoffs

Edited by 3rdand12

I get that the OP is over playing the whole "whoa is me" schtick, "the media hates us" gag. But a lot of posters are over reacting to the post with some pretty "out there" comments. Seriously, I really like this forum but man you guys are harsh.

Making a list of the Bills offensive players by position, calling them out by where they were drafted BUT LEAVING WOOD AND LEVITRE OFF THE LIST - equals TROLL.

Sorry - there's harsh, and then there's just keeping it remotely real.

As I said the first time - leaving Wood and Levitre off the starting lineup was an easy tip-off to troll post rather than straightforward one.

Fine, he doesn't get it either way though. I also think you give his intentions to much credit.

Making a list of the Bills offensive players by position, calling them out by where they were drafted BUT LEAVING WOOD AND LEVITRE OFF THE LIST - equals TROLL.

Sorry - there's harsh, and then there's just keeping it remotely real.

As I said the first time - leaving Wood and Levitre off the starting lineup was an easy tip-off to troll post rather than straightforward one.

Exactly.

The National Media says next to Nothing about the Buffalo Bills Offense... have you noticed?

Here is what I believe they see when they look at the leadership and roster....

The head coach and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey... A big time loser with the Bills... His won lost record proves it... He has bounced around from team to team... Even when Ralph Wilson chose him as head coach the Bills fans were not in favor of his hiring... Many wanted Shanahan now with Washington... Gailey has a lot to prove.

QB... Ryan Fitzpatrick ... Picked up as a free agent... Bills fans believe he is better as a backup than as a starter... He was a 7th round pick... Bills management is putting to much faith in a losing QB...

QB ... Vince Young.. Backup QB...Picked up by the Bills because no one else wanted him... Most likely washed up

QB ... Tyler Thigper... OMG are you kidding

RB ... Freddy Jackson... Another free agent pickup who starts..

RB ... C.J. Spiller ... A first round pick who has done litte and could be a bust

FB.... Corey McIntrey .. Only touched the ball 4 times last year...

TE ... Scott Chandler... Another free agent pick up no other team wanted... slow

WR ... Stevie Johnson ... A 7th round pick considered their #1 receiver

WR ... Marcus Easley .... a 4th round pick going into his 3rd year and never seen the field, maybe the #2 receiver

WR ... David Nelson .... Another free agent

WR ... Donald Jones ... Another free agent

WR ... T.J. Graham .... Picked in the 3rd round but could have been a 7th round pick

OL ... Corey Glenn .... A rookie LT

OL ... Chris Hairston .. A 4th round pick

OL ... Kraig Urbik...... Another free agent

OL ... Chad Reinhart ... Another free agent

OL ... Eric Pears ...... Another free agent

Then we have Brad Smith... What is he a WR, RB, QB, Special teamer? Bills are even not sure...

Where is the Talent to get this squad to the playoffs?

And we the media are to believe with this motley crew they will make the playoffs ? are you kidding ?

But when you ask Bills fans, many believe they are on the right track, as do I and this so called motley crew will preform to playoff standards... Do you? and why do you Believe.......???

1/10 troll

Shame on this horrible franchise for not having first round all star picks at each position. What are they thinking??? Hopefully they can shape up.

I am also disgusted. We should, at the very least, be lining up an offense of 8 Pro Bowl calibre players.

Actually, if the previous regime had a clue when it came to drafting, this may not be so far fetched. With the number of high draft picks that have been blown over the past 13 years, there should be more talent on this squad. That being said, the defense has been addressed and the offense has shown the potential to be explosive, so we'll take what we got and hope for the best.

I doubt anyone would criticize a post without reading it first.

The poster tries to project what he/she believes the "national media" sees in the Bills offense.

The picture the OP paints is ridiculously negative. There's no way the "national media" sees the Bills this way.

What you say is all true, and I agree. The problem I have is that people seemed to have read the OP, thought it was his own analysis of the team, and then called him a troll.

I'd say you make the better argument, and that his assessment of what the national media sees when they look at this team is way off. But what he said isn't certainly troll-worthy (when compared to the other garbage we've all seen on here).