New rock 'Super Group' - Diamond Rugs

its become a generic term when established and successful bands join forces...that's why i put it in quotes...that said, I have moved past the 60's and 70's and by todays' standards I do consider Deer Tick & Los Lobos successful and well established bands, much like i consider Middle Brother a 'super group' consisting of members of Dawes, Deer Tick & Delta Spirit. If you haven't heard of them, you should, they are playing really good 'roots'. 'americana' rock and roll...

But if your criteria are mega stars that form super groups, then if you haven't already, give Superheavy a shot...Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, A.R.Rahman and Damian “Jr Gong” Marley. I really enjoyed their recent cd...

Super group? You are comparing them to Cream and Zeppelin? Boy have the standards gone down.

Edited by The Poojer

its become a generic term when established and successful bands join forces...that's why i put it in quotes...that said, I have moved past the 60's and 70's and by todays' standards I do consider Deer Tick & Los Lobos successful and well established bands, much like i consider Middle Brother a 'super group' consisting of members of Dawes, Deer Tick & Delta Spirit. If you haven't heard of them, you should, they are playing really good 'roots'. 'americana' rock and roll...

But if your criteria are mega stars that form super groups, then if you haven't already, give Superheavy a shot...Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, Dave Stewart, A.R.Rahman and Damian “Jr Gong” Marley. I really enjoyed their recent cd...

I opened the songs on your link, and honestly didn't get in to it. Sure not Cream, anyway. Maybe it's my age. Did I mention my hip has been acting up? :D

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I am biased. I am a big fan of Deer Tick. And you are never too old to rock & roll.....

I opened the songs on your link, and honestly didn't get in to it. Sure not Cream, anyway. Maybe it's my age. Did I mention my hip has been acting up? :D

I am biased. I am a big fan of Deer Tick. And you are never too old to rock & roll.....

Any group with John McCauley is a "super group"! Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Pooj...any idea if McCauley ever recorded this song, other than this live clip? Love this song, but can't find it anywhere...I am assuming it is an original...love Nikki Darling as well:

Including 2 members of Deer Tick, one from Los Lobos and a couple other members i am not too familiar with. I am a big Deer Tick fan and love how they are mixing it up with other musicians --See Middle Brother....

This stream has some good stuff on it. Give it a listen...

How many members of Cream, Led Zepellin or the Beatles are in this "super" group? :rolleyes:

PTR

On a scale of Damn Yankees to Chickenfoot, how do they compare to the Traveling Wilburys?

Damn Yankees? Chickenfoot? You are too funny sometimes! The inclusion of Sammy Hagar, Tommy Shaw or Ted Nugent pre-cludes any group from being "super"...other than super-****ty!

Edited by Buftex

Any group with John McCauley is a "super group"! Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Pooj...any idea if McCauley ever recorded this song, other than this live clip? Love this song, but can't find it anywhere...I am assuming it is an original...love Nikki Darling as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=6iEzJcSqTII

That was god awful.

Hell, I like Deer Tick and agree - that sucked. Not a good job selling the band with that particular vid.

Ah.. love that tune...admittedly, not the best video...first time they did the song live, on a whim...it has a kind of rough and tumble charm of it...like the best Deer Tick stuff.

Edited by Buftex

Ah.. love that tune...admittedly, not the best video...first time they did the song live, on a whim...it has a kind of rough and tumble charm of it...like the best Deer Tick stuff.

If by rough and tumble charm you mean the musical imagination of an actual Deer Tick I'd have to agree with you.

funny, i just got the new Diamond Rugs album earlier this month and found it refreshing. particularly have enjoyed "Hightail," "Call Girl Blues," and "Hungover and Horny."

don't know if i would call this a "super group," as opposed to more of a collaboration between a bunch of good musicians who happened to be jamming around down in Nashville. and despite Deer Tick's obvious and documented the Replacements influences (check out the hidden song on Divine Providence: Westerberg's "Mr. Cigarette"), i'm not complete sold on John McCauley's chops.

Deer Tick's "Let's All Go to the Bar," and "The Bump," could well be Diamond Rugs' "Gimme a Beer." it's all suddenly sounding the same. though kudos to McCauley -- who these days seems to be as prolific as Ryan Adams -- for attempting to bring in new sounds to expand his musical breadth. that's never a bad thing.

the more i listen to a few new bands, the more respect i have for another relative newcomer, The Dexateens. also, Justin Townes Earle's latest CD is a must have.

jw