New rock 'Super Group' - Diamond Rugs

u mentioned the dexateens once before i believe and i listened...to me they were too 'polished' in their sound...for that kind of music, i prefer a grittier sound, like deer tick, the replacements and DBT, that's not to say i didn't enjoy the dexateens...just prefer the grittier sound for that kind of music than a nice clean sound...if that makes any sense at all...

funny, i just got the new Diamond Rugs album earlier this month and found it refreshing. particularly have enjoyed "Hightail," "Call Girl Blues," and "Hungover and Horny."

don't know if i would call this a "super group," as opposed to more of a collaboration between a bunch of good musicians who happened to be jamming around down in Nashville. and despite Deer Tick's obvious and documented the Replacements influences (check out the hidden song on Divine Providence: Westerberg's "Mr. Cigarette"), i'm not complete sold on John McCauley's chops.

Deer Tick's "Let's All Go to the Bar," and "The Bump," could well be Diamond Rugs' "Gimme a Beer." it's all suddenly sounding the same. though kudos to McCauley -- who these days seems to be as prolific as Ryan Adams -- for attempting to bring in new sounds to expand his musical breadth. that's never a bad thing.

the more i listen to a few new bands, the more respect i have for another relative newcomer, The Dexateens. also, Justin Townes Earle's latest CD is a must have.

jw

u mentioned the dexateens once before i believe and i listened...to me they were too 'polished' in their sound...for that kind of music, i prefer a grittier sound, like deer tick, the replacements and DBT, that's not to say i didn't enjoy the dexateens...just prefer the grittier sound for that kind of music than a nice clean sound...if that makes any sense at all...

i get it.

my only fear is that as much as i liked Deer Tick's "Mainstreet," an homage to The Rolling Stones if there ever was one, i am beginning to fear that McCauley's voice lacks the range to sing anything more than road-house bar songs. he's good at what he does, but i'm looking for something a little more nuanced or different ... which is why i so much enjoyed "Hightail" on the Rugs' release.

and don't get me wrong, the anthemic clang of Deer Tick's guitar-based sound is something you can happily wrap your arms around, which i very much appreciate.

the Dexateens might be somewhat more polished (though i'll suggest that "Ballad of Souls Departed" is anything but polished, and wonderfully mournful song with a grating and underlying guitar buzzing sound), yet they seem to me to have more potential of producing a wider variety of music, from rock to roots and alternative country.

though, just saw the Truckers backing up Lucinda Williams, and the DBTs were touring with Dexateens bassist Mike Patton. he did a nice job. no Shona Tucker, but ... and don't ask me why the Truckers were the ones backing up Lucinda. i wondered if it should've been the other way around before the show began, and was left wondering even more afterward.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

i get it.

my only fear is that as much as i liked Deer Tick's "Mainstreet," an homage to The Rolling Stones if there ever was one, i am beginning to fear that McCauley's voice lacks the range to sing anything more than road-house bar songs. he's good at what he does, but i'm looking for something a little more nuanced or different ... which is why i so much enjoyed "Hightail" on the Rugs' release.

and don't get me wrong, the anthemic clang of Deer Tick's guitar-based sound is something you can happily wrap your arms around, which i very much appreciate.

the Dexateens might be somewhat more polished (though i'll suggest that "Ballad of Souls Departed" is anything but polished, and wonderfully mournful song with a grating and underlying guitar buzzing sound), yet they seem to me to have more potential of producing a wider variety of music, from rock to roots and alternative country.

though, just saw the Truckers backing up Lucinda Williams, and the DBTs were touring with Dexateens bassist Mike Patton. he did a nice job. no Shona Tucker, but ... and don't ask me why the Truckers were the ones backing up Lucinda. i wondered if it should've been the other way around before the show began, and was left wondering even more afterward.

jw

McCauley is prolific...not every song is a maseterpiece, but when he nails it, he nails it. Not unlike a certain Mr Westerberg.

McCauley is prolific...not every song is a maseterpiece, but when he nails it, he nails it. Not unlike a certain Mr Westerberg.

i'm not knocking McCauley for what he does well. i'm merely wondering if he has the musical nuggets to go beyond that. Westerberg and the Mats weren't one-trick ponies. they hit the entire range: from the anthemic (Bastard of Young) to poignant (Skyway) to fun-loving bizarre (Tommy Got his Tonsils Out), and sublime (Here Comes a Regular) to name but a few. heck, there are five or so different versions of "Can't Hardly Wait" out there, each distinct from the other, whether it's the polished release on "Pleased ..." or the dirtier "Tim" b-side version, which i consider to be the best.

i hope McCauley keeps pushing his range, and am rooting for some of the Rugs' influences to rub off on him.

jw