Famous people you've seen in person

That is funny stuff! Why did Nickey want to change his order, may I ask? You don't mess with the Chairman...

We had Capellini alla Checca on the menu and sold tons of it. It's the simplest of pasta dishes but when done right (and we did) it's fantastice. All it is is angel hair pasta with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil. So Nicky added that. I think there was something else that he changed but I don't remember...it was over 25 years ago.

Also fed Sinatra when I worked at Ma Maison. There were wild fires going on and we were out in the parking lot dusting the ashes of his car. Left my finger prints on his window from peering inside. Oh it was a gold Bentley.

Also at Ma Maison Orson Wells would come in pretty much every night. He had a special table in the bar behind a shoji screen. He'd walk through the kitchen to get to his table. I'd go out to the bar after we closed (small service bar with maybe 4 chairs) have a drink and just listen to him talk. Incredible voice.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of some NFL players through the years,

I've met Presidents Bush, Clinton, Bush.

Robert DeNiro.

Jack Palance.

Charles Barkley.

James Woods, which is like a rare baseball card of celebrity run-ins.

Edited by dpberr

i shook his hand at the NYS Fair, and I am no fan of his, but it was a very memorable experience...his presence is really dynamic...then the mood was ruined when hilary walked by...

Did you sleep with him? I hear he just has that effect on people

Vincent D'Onofrio

Travis Barker

Ke$ha

Almost forgot: Maury Povich.

I guess you live in New York City then?

My list is pretty small and sad

I met and got an autograph from Commander Tom when i was a kid, he would come to town and be part of the Rose Festival Parade

I met and have autographs from Rob Ray and Ted Nolan of the Sabres. I also met Micheal Grosek when he played for the Sabres, I was with my sisters friend outside the Fort Erie arena by their bus when they had open practices in Niagara and were getting some autographs. Grosek came out and we asked who he was, he said his name but his accent made it hard to understand so he had to repeat it a few times. My sisters friend had cards of the team he was getting them to sign and just said he didn't have his card so Grosek walked away. Before getting to the bus, he was approached by a kid with a piece of paper he asked him to sign and Grosek looked at him and said "I don't sign your Toilet Paper!" and walked away.

Otherwise I came close to meeting the lead singer from the Canadian Band, The Trews. I had tickets to a show they were doing at the local university and I was feeling sick but didn't want to miss it. I was with my brother and kept going outside onto a patio to get air cause I was sweating and feeling sick. When I went out there, The lead singer was out there talking with an older woman, and they just looked at me and then kept talking. Found out a few days later I had mono, still made it to see the Chilli Peppers a few days later.

With work I have met a few retired hockey players, a retired CFL player, a couple former NHL refs, and Mark Hamister (the guy who was trying to buy the Sabres when Golisano did

Nice reference, but it was actually at a taping of his show :lol:

I was hoping someone would get the reference

We had Capellini alla Checca on the menu and sold tons of it. It's the simplest of pasta dishes but when done right (and we did) it's fantastice. All it is is angel hair pasta with fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil. So Nicky added that. I think there was something else that he changed but I don't remember...it was over 25 years ago.

Also fed Sinatra when I worked at Ma Maison. There were wild fires going on and we were out in the parking lot dusting the ashes of his car. Left my finger prints on his window from peering inside. Oh it was a gold Bentley.

Also at Ma Maison Orson Wells would come in pretty much every night. He had a special table in the bar behind a shoji screen. He'd walk through the kitchen to get to his table. I'd go out to the bar after we closed (small service bar with maybe 4 chairs) have a drink and just listen to him talk. Incredible voice.

Sinatra in a gold Bentley! When cool was still cool...

I bet Mr Wells wasn't drinking Paul Mason with his dinner! :P

Sinatra in a gold Bentley! When cool was still cool...

I bet Mr Wells wasn't drinking Paul Mason with his dinner! :P

I don't remember what he used to drink.

Ok, story time.

Once again at Ma Maison. Elizabeth Taylor was in one night. I knew which table she was sitting at. I was standing at the service bar and panning the crowd from right to left (small dinning room of maybe 20 tables). I knew she was at Table 1 in the front left. I wanted to go check her out but was being nonchalant. So scanning....scanning....scanning and the moment of truth when my eyes finally got to her table she was staring right at me with this smile on her face. Holy !@#$ing ****!! Elizabeth Taylor is checking me out! Well probably not but damn those blue eyes would melt you.

Oh and not only could she not kiss to save her life she sucked in the sack.

I don't remember what he used to drink.

Ok, story time.

Once again at Ma Maison. Elizabeth Taylor was in one night. I knew which table she was sitting at. I was standing at the service bar and panning the crowd from right to left (small dinning room of maybe 20 tables). I knew she was at Table 1 in the front left. I wanted to go check her out but was being nonchalant. So scanning....scanning....scanning and the moment of truth when my eyes finally got to her table she was staring right at me with this smile on her face. Holy !@#$ing ****!! Elizabeth Taylor is checking me out! Well probably not but damn those blue eyes would melt you.

Oh and not only could she not kiss to save her life she sucked in the sack.

"Sucked" in the good way?

Being in radio I met my share of bands and singers. Mostly during meet-n-gets backstage. Pink, Justin Timberlake, Avril Levigne, Barenaked Ladies to name a few.

Our station did a concert with a band called Phantom Planet. Their drummer was Jason Scwartzman back then. "Rushmore" just came out.

Back in the 80s I was invited to Jon Andersen's house while he was in LA. He made breakfast for me and another DJ (the late Ed Sciaky from Philadelphia) and played us an early mix of the Yes album "Big Generator". That is probably my most awesome brush with greatness.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Being in radio I met my share of bands and singers. Mostly during meet-n-gets backstage. Pink, Justin Timberlake, Avril Levigne, Barenaked Ladies to name a few.

Our station did a concert with a band called Phantom Planet. Their drummer was Jason Scwartzman back then. "Rushmore" just came out.

Back in the 80s I was invited to Jon Andersen's house while he was in LA. He made breakfast for me and another DJ (the late Ed Sciaky from Philadelphia) and played us an early mix of the Yes album "Big Generator". That is probably my most awesome brush with greatness.

PTR

Though I've seen a boatload of famous people I've not really hung with any of them like you did with Jon Anderson. I'll have to dig deep into the memory banks for that. The closest I can think of right now was when I did "security" for a Marcus Allen autograph session. I was standing to the right of his table moving the line along. We chatted a bit during lulls. The second would be my encounter with Gregg Allman. I was sitting at the bar at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood. An historic pub. This is supposedly where Janis Joplin hit Jim Morrison over the head with a whiskey bottle. Anyway I was at the bar pretty much by myself. A limo pulls up out front and Gregg walks in. Pretty cool seeing the band I played in when I was young was pretty much an Allman Bros. cover band. He sat down two stools away. Pulled out a cigarette (the days when you could smoke anywhere so that tells you how long ago this was) and said "yo bro' you gotta light" I pulled out a pack of matches lit a match and held it out for him to light his smoke. He looks at me with a look of "fag" takes the match out of my hand and lights it himself. What a !@#$ing idiot I was. I was way too shy back then which I'm just the opposite now. I was afraid to talk to him. Today I'd absolutely strike up a conversation with him.

Willis Reed- met at an awards dinner

Johnny Bench-had dinner with at a dog track

Dave Davies of the Kinks asking me for directions to the place on campus they were playing that night

Phil Collins and the rest of Genesis (Post Gabriel)-had beers backstage with at the Carrier Dome, got a picture with them

A number of Bills players that brought their kids to Discovery Zone on Milestrip Rd.in Blasdell

Leon Redbone-sat next to having a beer

Actress Debbi Morgan (all My Children, Eve's Bayou)

Nope. Why do you think she has so many husbands. I wondered myself too, until that boring night back in 1985. :thumbdown:

Wasn't she beat by 1970 at least. I know when I was a kid, I never got why so many people talked about her. (I later saw pictures of her in the 50s and 60s).