Famous people you've seen in person

No I've looked all over for it in the past. I've got a VHS tape of it and that's about it. I just tried to Google it and the only result that had anything to do with it was the fifth result which was a link to this thread. :lol:

Damn...you can find anything on Youtube...I mean, if I can find a 7 minute interview with Werner Klemperer on the Pat Sajak show, I sure as hell should be able to find Chef Jim making history! I am gonna shoot Youtube a nasty email! :P

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn...you can find anything on Youtube...I mean, if I can find a 7 minute interview with Werner Klemperer on the Pat Sajak show, I sure as hell should be able to find Chef Jim making history! I am gonna shoot Youtube a nasty email! :P

I ain't no Werner Klemperer. Speaking of which my father-in-law sang opera with Klemperer's dad in Berlin.

That is exactly what I was thinking...so Billswatch, I have to ask, what did you ask Takei & Keoning?

I asked Takei when the sequel was going to come out on an excellent book "Mirror Friend, Mirror Foe" he wrote w/Robert Asprin.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0441533817

It was his first book and got excellent reviews but publisher collapsed preventing him and Asprin from writing a sequel he explaining; I believe company which bought rights had no interest in publishing another, not in their plans.

He wrote before Shaftner had a some ghost writers write some novels in his name.

I asked Koenig about a movie rumor which was talked about very often on campus. He was supposed to be a star of an X rated movie by a producer who showed one of his movies on campus. He said "He was flattered but uninterested".

Oh and I asked if there were time for autographs and Takei said no and then Keoning said "No but what did you want autographed anyways?" And I told him a Kelly Freas set of Star Trek Officers prints, 1st edition. He remarked "Always wanted a set of those." Then Takei turned and gave him an odd look.

Edited by BillsWatch

I ain't no Werner Klemperer. Speaking of which my father-in-law sang opera with Klemperer's dad in Berlin.

:lol: Holy ****, you don't know how funny that really is... :lol: :lol:

Unless of course, what you say is true...than I have pity for you!

Edited by Buftex

Just thought of another: Henry Kissinger. Walked right by him on park avenue. Little dude, talking 5'3" little. Even with the hat he had was wearing! Seemed pretty happy with himself, had a smile on his face about something.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

When I was a much younger attorney had a couple of drinks with Richard Burton at the International Bar next to the Edison Theater. Had lunch with Arthur Ashe (same table, sat with him) at a graduation at SUNY Brockport. Had Derek Sanderson at my house with my kid's hockey team. Talked with the following by phone while they were at my son's restaurant in Saratoga-Bill Parcells, David Cassidy (from Partridge Family). Worked with Tim Russert in Governor Carey's campaign. When in high school my brother and I were picked up by Elbert Dubenion while hitchhiking to the lake. Had dinner with Chris O'Donnel and one of his college chums at Lombardo's in Albany after golf. Got to after match boxing event after a heavyweight fight at the Aud and met Muhammad Ali, David Hasselhoff (not impressed) Janet Jackson.

Okay, no real story...but I "saw" Britney Spears and Simon Cowell earlier today...they are recording an "X-Factor" try-out episode where I work...just saw them through their car windows...no big whoop!

A certain, immensely popular (in Austin) Bills back-up QB is hosting a party in the same facility next week! Maybe he will bring some of his new teammates with him!

Edited by Buftex

Okay, no real story...but I "saw" Britney Spears and Simon Cowell earlier today...they are recording an "X-Factor" try-out episode where I work...just saw them through their car windows...no big whoop!

A certain, immensely popular (in Austin) Bills back-up QB is hosting a party in the same facility next week! Maybe he will bring some of his new teammates with him!

That wasn't Simon Cowell. Britney just forgot her panties again.

Oh crap dude, if you're going to throw in famous Chefs I think my list just tripled. :lol:

That was my next question to you besides and Bobby D stories. I would rather meet a famous Chef than celebrity. Any decent stories regarding some of the more famous ones? I feel like Collichio is a cool, I have met Emeril (nice dude). I am not sure if you consider Fieri a good Chef or not but my Uncle met him in Atlantic City and he was a hell of a nice guy...

That was my next question to you besides and Bobby D stories. I would rather meet a famous Chef than celebrity. Any decent stories regarding some of the more famous ones? I feel like Collichio is a cool, I have met Emeril (nice dude). I am not sure if you consider Fieri a good Chef or not but my Uncle met him in Atlantic City and he was a hell of a nice guy...

I really wish I could help you but I've never really connected with any "famous" Chefs. All have are some stories of encounters with Chefs that no one has ever heard of but I really looked up to as my idols. Once many Chefs famous (i.e. Emeril, Fieri, Tony Bordain, Wolfgang etc) they didn't sweat it out as much with the guys in the trenches. They spent all their time booking TV appearances. I then lost my respect and interest in them.

I really wish I could help you but I've never really connected with any "famous" Chefs. All have are some stories of encounters with Chefs that no one has ever heard of but I really looked up to as my idols. Once many Chefs famous (i.e. Emeril, Fieri, Tony Bordain, Wolfgang etc) they didn't sweat it out as much with the guys in the trenches. They spent all their time booking TV appearances. I then lost my respect and interest in them.

So, I take it you never hob-knobbed with this chef?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/asexual-mao-sugiyama-cooks-serves-own-genitals_n_1543307.html?ref=mostpopular

Thought of another; Harvey keitel. I was standing on a roof deck and he hollered over from the adjacent and taller building , wanting to know what kind of wood it was made of. I hollered back "I think cedar" lol

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Funny short story about my encounter with Rob Zombie.

The wife and I went skiing at Snow Summit outside of LA a number of years ago. MTV was having some dumb show being broadcast from there that weekend. Had we known..........Anyway I'm walking from the slope to the B&B where we were staying. At the bottom of the hill on the edge of the parking lot is Rob just standing there gazing up the hill. Here's the exchange

Me: Hey Rob

Rob: Hey man, what's up.

Me: Nothing much

As if we were buds. :lol:

I guess you had to be there.

Another thread started by GoBillsDallas reminded me of another...Robert Plant.

He has purchased a home here, in Austin...he has come into the record store I work in, on about a half dozen occaisions. The first time, I was clocking in from my lunch break, on a Saturday afternoon. I go back, and I see this guy, and a woman, backs to me, standing behind the desk of one of our buyers. The three of them are looking at some video clip on youtube. It was some sort of old-timey bluegrass thing...then I hear the guy speak, brit accent...I didn't immediately think "hey that's Robert Plant", but for some reason, I knew it was a familier voice.

Once he leaned over the desk, I recognized the woman as Patty Griffin, an Austinite who comes in fairly regularly....when the guy turned around, I was kind of startled to recongnize him. I didn't say anything (you gotta act cool in these situations) but he just kind of looked at me like..."yeah, it's me"...he was actually very cool. While none of the store employees hassled him for an autograph or anything, a few customers did, and he was real nice to all of them, even though you could kind of tell, it was not something he really liked doing.

Came to find out, after, that he and Patty Griffin are an item, and they are recording an ablum together.

Part 2:

One Saturday afternoon, Plant came in the store, and was pretty low key. In his old age, he kind of blends in with the other hippies in town. He came and went, without incident. Later that same night, Morrisey comes in...as you can guess, he was kind of pretetnious douche...I wouldn't have even have noticed him, but I was stocking some CD's close to where he was browsing, and all of a sudden, I have this big, bald "bodyguard" type, with a limey accent say "is there a problem?" I was thinking "wtf?"....then I look to my left and see I am standing next to Morrisey. He had two guys with him, one a bodyguard, and the other to deal with anyone who might try to communicate with him. Some kid who works at the store really wanted to get him to sign a Smiths album, but when he saw two customers get brushed back, he decided not to. He asked me if I thought he should "go for it". I told him "sure...if he says no, just tell him you will call Robert Plant down to the store to kick his ass." :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Bourdain did a show where he went back and worked a shift at his old place in NYC. He got his ass kicked.

Bourdain did a show where he went back and worked a shift at his old place in NYC. He got his ass kicked.

Yup, I remember that one. I always prided myself on how I could kick ass on the line. How I did that was at my first job after graduating from the CIA. It was the gourmet dinning room at the Hyatt in Miami. The food critic at the Herald was very good so I imagined every dish I put in the window was for her. I got real good a plating perfectly looking meals very quickly.