Famous people you've seen in person

David Duchovny, Kimbo Slice, Santonio Holmes, Floyd Mayweather, Ron Artest, Bruce Willis, Mike Golic, Mike Greenberg, Chris Berman, Apollo Anton Ohno, Elise Testone, Lindsay Vonn, Shawn Johnson, Donovan McNabb, Stevie Johnson, JWOW, Matt Lauer, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Daryl Strawberry, Mark Spitz, Kevin Love, Adrian Peterson, Blaine Gabbert, Mel Kiper, Justin Long, Michael Strahan, Pope John Paul, April Rose, Jim Breuer, Jon Stewart, Thierry Henry, Dustin Keller, Kelly Slater, Jason Mraz, Will Ferrell, Emeril Lagasse, Bobby Flay, Bumblefoot, Morimoto (Iron Chef),

Oh crap dude, if you're going to throw in famous Chefs I think my list just tripled. :lol:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your kid is in the entertainment business and you are a entertainment dad......you really cannot help but see, meet, and talk to famous people

Now....My daughter could provide a decent list of singers and actors but I cant talk to her till Monday.....she is off to Las Vegas as her band is performing at the Riviera on Saturday and the Bellagio on Sunday.....extrmely happy for her this was a big gig.

The LAST person she ran into (and I mean literally ran my 16 year old DD daughter was Jane Lynch. My DD was up auditioning next to the set of Glee and they came down opposite hallways moving fast and Jane bowled her over (Jane is a big tall woman) so Jane gets up apologizing all over herself and my daughter gets up "oh god I just love you"......so here I am sitting in the background (like a good entertainment parent should) watching them just just sit there talking for 15 minutes about acting, Glee, music....that Jane Lynch is funny as hell. How you see her in the movies is how she is in real life.

I love Jane Lynch...glad to know she's just as awesome in real life as she appears to be on screen.

I'll add one more quick story to the thread, although this doesn't really count since it was an indirect contact with celebrity. Back in the late 80s, my cousin was in the airport and happened to see the dirtiest player in the game, Ric Flair, stylin' and profile'n in one of the terminals. He knew that I was a huge wrestling fan (and his sister was even cool enough to tape wrestling shows and mail them to me since I didn't have cable tv at the time), so he approached Ric and asked for an autograph. They realized that neither of them had anything to write on, so Ric told him to follow him to the magazine shop. He grabbed one of the wrestling magazines, found his pic on one of the pages, and signed the autograph on the spot. I was already a huge fan of wrestling, but knowing that Ric Flair did that and went out of his way just so some kid he didn't know could have his autograph made me an even bigger Flair fan on the spot.

David Duchovny, Kimbo Slice, Santonio Holmes, Floyd Mayweather, Ron Artest, Bruce Willis, Mike Golic, Mike Greenberg, Chris Berman, Apollo Anton Ohno, Elise Testone, Lindsay Vonn, Shawn Johnson, Donovan McNabb, Stevie Johnson, JWOW, Matt Lauer, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Daryl Strawberry, Mark Spitz, Kevin Love, Adrian Peterson, Blaine Gabbert, Mel Kiper, Justin Long, Michael Strahan, Pope John Paul, April Rose, Jim Breuer, Jon Stewart, Thierry Henry, Dustin Keller, Kelly Slater, Jason Mraz, Will Ferrell, Emeril Lagasse, Bobby Flay, Bumblefoot, Morimoto (Iron Chef),

Was that Mel Kiper Sr. or Jr.?

Not a lot of celeberties but a few:

James Earl Carter (Bumped to 1st class and sat next to him)

Dizzy Gillespie - served him water once in one day show in Buffalo in early 80's (long story but was not working there but guest of manager, after show during which no one made a sound there was a rush to bar for drinks and staff was swamped. Walked up to table, asked if needed anything and he said "Water, just water. I am a little parched." Went to bartender station, told bartender the star needed some water and was given a pitcher of it and several glasses of ice. I returned with water and a couple appreciative words of his music. Manager saw what I did and asked me after show why didn't I ask for an autograph. Told him I was too much in shock. I could have taken one of the wall black and white min-posters from wall and have had a one-of-a-kind autograph)

Three of The Monkees (did take sign off wall and have it autographed)

George Takei & Walter Koenig (got to ask each of them a non Star Trek question) during talk in college

Eddie Paskey (Lt. Leslie from Star Trek) - met him at airport (for those who do not know he was in more episodes than George Takei & Walter Koenig)

John Valby (John Valby)

Number of players, etc from camp, etc. most I will not list but:

Scott Norwood - regular at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern

Charlie Taylor, Redskin HoF WR - regular at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern

Story Time

Dudley Moore came in for a Friday lunch at Ma Maison. This was where all the power brokers of Hollywood came for lunch. I was the dinner saucier so I didn't work lunch but would walk in every Friday afternoon to a disaster area. Anyway this particular Friday lunch Moore was in. Now a little about him. He was Arthur. Tha character was created for him I imagine. He actually drove around town in a white right hand drive bentley (old model) with a license plate that said Arthur1. So this particular day it was a raucus Friday lunch. They had all partied pretty good and figured they move into the small bar to continue the party while they prepared the dining room for dinner. More drinks began to flow (this was about when I came in for my dinner shift). Well Dudley starts to play the piano. The afternoon wears on and dinner starts. Dudley places a brandy snifter on the upright piano and starts to collect tips. I couldn't believe it. As guests started to come in for dinner there was a hot chick (Dudley's date I think??) passed out on the park bench in the front of the restaurant. This **** happened all the time. I really miss that place.

A short article.

This article talks about the last days of Ma Maison. I was there for the final service. It was like a dream.

That's pretty good Chef. I liked the article. How long did you work there?

Missed a chance at seeing Pat Benatar at Stage One (Harvey and Corky's Bar at Transit and Main) about 6 months before she hit it big). Also missed a chance at seeing Blondie at the UB Ellicott dorms just before they hit it big.

I was at that Pat Benatar show. :thumbsup:

I kind of had an unfair advantage earlier in my life, I worked as a chaperone at Disney.

Rebecca Romijn and John Stamos, Oddly they were there together but John was with his family, side note, he speaks greek, she was with her sister...I was married at the time but Rebecca, on her sisters behave asked if I was doing anything later...I spent about six hours with them. and no I didn't hang out with them outside of work. Imagine twins minus the twin part, her sister is Danny Devito in this scenario.

Kurt Warner and his wife after "they" won the super bowl, wasn't impressed with either of them.

Thurman Thomas brought his kids, this was right after he signed with Miami, I gave him a little crap, but I was too big of a fan. I thanked him for his time in Buffalo and he thanked me for being a fan, I first met him when he was a rookie, he signed a hat for me.

Christina Aguilera, she was there to preform for the holiday celebration, which was shot in October, she wasn't a huge star yet, she was really sweet and very tiny.

Michael Jackson-the hour I spent with him was extremely odd. He's the only one that reguested we sign a confidentiality order.

Tracy McGrady and Tim Duncan came together, The Magic were trying to sign both of them, instead they got Grant Hill and McGrady, fun guys.

Dominique Wilkins-played for the Magic then, met him at the mall, only cause he was trying to put the moves on my then wife.

Shaq-too many times, first at his house and the last time I saw him was at a Pine Hills Walmart about 6 months ago, for those who do not know Pine Hills is not the nicest of areas. Super nice guy

Dwight Howard at Perkins

Tiger Woods at Perkins and at his house. The notorious Perkins, his wife is super attractive even without make up.

Justin Timberlake-nice guy, before he went solo

Lance Bass- before he came out, he was eating lunch with a christian boy band member that my ex wife knew. She ironically worked for a christian TV station. I got to eat lunch with him and watch the Bills, he's a Green bay fan

Lucas Haas -when I was a kid, Lady in White

Stevie Wonder-preformed at my school

Doug Liman at a talk at Rollins College. great director, just after he did "go"

Peter Berg- after he directed "Very Bad things" he was flying Orlando to NYC and sat next to me.

Several Metal Bands...one of my ex's dated the base player from the band Soil for eight years, because of that she knows a lot of people including Glen Benton, who was super cool. Side note she use to argue that Cannibal Corpse was a Tampa band...they are from Buffalo, George Fisher (lead singer), who is from florida called them a Buffalo band. They are Bills fan FYI.

Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys-if you know who they are you win a prize, without looking it up.

John Kerry and Edwards-I worked on the Kerry/Edwards campaign, they came in a sat with us and talked.

Other Bills

Lofton

Bennett

Ted Washington

Pat Williams

Pike

Reed

Kelly

Robb Riddick

other Basketball player

JoJo White

Al Cervi

Bill Laimbeer

JJ Redick

MMA

Seth Petruzelli

I met Mat Sundin in Toronto at the CN Tower, only Hockey player I've met.

My High School girlfriend played soccer with abby Wambach, so I met her as a result.

my ex wife has two Emmys

another ex's step father was the CFO of American express-maybe I shouldn't have broken up with that one... She was also a lawyer, as was her father. I am pretty stupid sometimes.

Edited by frogger

That's pretty good Chef. I liked the article. How long did you work there?

Just under two years and as I mentioned I was there for the last service. Very surreal event. There were a ton of people that Ma Maison was just that to them. Their house. I just sent a friend request to Patrick the owner. We'll see if he remembers me. laugh.gif

I'm shocked that Wolfgang Puck was known in 1977!

Really? Why do you say that?

I kind of had an unfair advantage earlier in my life, I worked as a chaperone at Disney.

Rebecca Romijn and John Stamos, Oddly they were there together but John was with his family, side note, he speaks greek, she was with her sister...I was married at the time but Rebecca, on her sisters behave asked if I was doing anything later...I spent about six hours with them. and no I didn't hang out with them outside of work. Imagine twins minus the twin part, her sister is Danny Devito in this scenario.

Kurt Warner and his wife after "they" won the super bowl, wasn't impressed with either of them.

Thurman Thomas brought his kids, this was right after he signed with Miami, I gave him a little crap, but I was too big of a fan. I thanked him for his time in Buffalo and he thanked me for being a fan, I first met him when he was a rookie, he signed a hat for me.

Christina Aguilera, she was there to preform for the holiday celebration, which was shot in October, she wasn't a huge star yet, she was really sweet and very tiny.

Michael Jackson-the hour I spent with him was extremely odd. He's the only one that reguested we sign a confidentiality order.

Tracy McGrady and Tim Duncan came together, The Magic were trying to sign both of them, instead they got Grant Hill and McGrady, fun guys.

Dominique Wilkins-played for the Magic then, met him at the mall, only cause he was trying to put the moves on my then wife.

Shaq-too many times, first at his house and the last time I saw him was at a Pine Hills Walmart about 6 months ago, for those who do not know Pine Hills is not the nicest of areas. Super nice guy

Dwight Howard at Perkins

Tiger Woods at Perkins and at his house. The notorious Perkins, his wife is super attractive even without make up.

Justin Timberlake-nice guy, before he went solo

Lance Bass- before he came out, he was eating lunch with a christian boy band member that my ex wife knew. She ironically worked for a christian TV station. I got to eat lunch with him and watch the Bills, he's a Green bay fan

Lucas Haas -when I was a kid, Lady in White

Stevie Wonder-preformed at my school

Doug Liman at a talk at Rollins College. great director, just after he did "go"

Peter Berg- after he directed "Very Bad things" he was flying Orlando to NYC and sat next to me.

Several Metal Bands...one of my ex's dated the base player from the band Soil for eight years, because of that she knows a lot of people including Glen Benton, who was super cool. Side note she use to argue that Cannibal Corpse was a Tampa band...they are from Buffalo, George Fisher (lead singer), who is from florida called them a Buffalo band. They are Bills fan FYI.

Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys-if you know who they are you win a prize, without looking it up.

John Kerry and Edwards-I worked on the Kerry/Edwards campaign, they came in a sat with us and talked.

Other Bills

Lofton

Bennett

Ted Washington

Pat Williams

Pike

Reed

Kelly

Robb Riddick

other Basketball player

JoJo White

Al Cervi

Bill Laimbeer

JJ Redick

MMA

Seth Petruzelli

I met Mat Sundin in Toronto at the CN Tower, only Hockey player I've met.

My High School girlfriend played soccer with abby Wambach, so I met her as a result.

my ex wife has two Emmys

another ex's step father was the CFO of American express-maybe I shouldn't have broken up with that one... She was also a lawyer, as was her father. I am pretty stupid sometimes.

Christina is no longer sweet and no longer tiny.

I hope you told JoJo White that he wasn't fouled by McAdoo!

Did you just break your confidentiality agreement with Michael Jackson?!?

Just under two years and as I mentioned I was there for the last service. Very surreal event. There were a ton of people that Ma Maison was just that to them. Their house. I just sent a friend request to Patrick the owner. We'll see if he remembers me. laugh.gif

Really? Why do you say that?

I don't know anything about these celebrity chefs. The only ones I knew about in the 70s were Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet!

Christina is no longer sweet and no longer tiny.

I hope you told JoJo White that he wasn't fouled by McAdoo!

Did you just break your confidentiality agreement with Michael Jackson?!?

I am pretty sure he won't care, Just a guess.

And you were actually able to think of something?

That is exactly what I was thinking...so Billswatch, I have to ask, what did you ask Takei & Keoning?

Incidentally, since we are on the topic, I met Gene Rodenberry as a kid (autographed a Star Trek Poster for me, when they were in the early development phase of the very firsrt movie), Walter Keonig at Star Trek/sci-fi convention a few years later.

I met Leonard Nimoy in 1994, on a hotel elevator in Sacremento, while on a business trip. It was the weekend that Shatners' ex-wife drowned in a jacquizzi. For you younger kids, Shat was not always the superstar he is today...we had this runnig joke all weekend that Nimoy was in town to drive a despondant Shatner around in the Galelio shuttle-craft, and lead NASA on a slow chase through the cosmos...

Got a chance to talk to Nimoy the next night, at he hotel bar, where he was kind of "holding court"... if I recally he was still in his "I am NOT Spock phase" (unless they are paying me boat loads of cash to pretend), so "Star Trek" related questions and conversations were taboo...I just mentioned to him, that my buddy Joe, in NYC, lived in the same building as him, and told me he used to walk Nimoys' dogs...to which he arched one eye-brow and said "fascinating" :P

Edited by Buftex

My ex worked in events and meet him too; she said he was like a timid child and looked like a paper machete doll. Really weird.

She meet a lot of odd celebs; her best story was when they had to lower Luciano Pavarotti into a chariot using a forklift for the '92 Columbus Day parade in Philadelphia. He was too fat to step into it.

I don't know anything about these celebrity chefs. The only ones I knew about in the 70s were Julia Child and the Galloping Gourmet!

Well Wolfgang Puck was not a true celebrity chef in the 70's. He was just a chef at a celebrity hangout (Ma Maison). It wasn't until he left Ma Maison in 1982 (a couple of years before I worked there) to go open Spago did he achieve celebrity status. That's when the whole thing took off. Chefs became Gods out here and everyone wanted to be one. I actually worked as the Chef of the Hollywood Athletic Club at Universal City Walk and they had a PR department that pushed me. I was on the radio twice (cooking on the radio is strange) had a couple of recipes in a cookbook and appeared on this new cooking channel called..........The TV Food Network. :D

Well Wolfgang Puck was not a true celebrity chef in the 70's. He was just a chef at a celebrity hangout (Ma Maison). It wasn't until he left Ma Maison in 1982 (a couple of years before I worked there) to go open Spago did he achieve celebrity status. That's when the whole thing took off. Chefs became Gods out here and everyone wanted to be one. I actually worked as the Chef of the Hollywood Athletic Club at Universal City Walk and they had a PR department that pushed me. I was on the radio twice (cooking on the radio is strange) had a couple of recipes in a cookbook and appeared on this new cooking channel called..........The TV Food Network. :D

Youtube?

Youtube?

No I've looked all over for it in the past. I've got a VHS tape of it and that's about it. I just tried to Google it and the only result that had anything to do with it was the fifth result which was a link to this thread. :lol: