Tashard Choice v. Johnny White

There are quite a handful of reserve battles on this roster. One of the more intriguing one's (in my opinion) is the battle for the #3 RB spot behind Spiller and Jackson.

On one hand, you have a guy we drafted with a 5th Round Pick just last year in Johnny White. Draft picks aren't usually given up on (although it does get easier the lower they are selected) just one year from getting picked. Especially if that player hasn't played much. But he didn't show much running the football in both the preseason and the regular season.

On the other hand, you've got Tashard Choice. A guy who's been around the league for a few years. More importantly, he and Gailey have a long history. He coached him in college and now he's coaching him in the pro's. We brought him in off waivers when Fred Jackson went down and he did a better job spelling Spiller than White. I figured he'd be gone at the end of the year. But, surprisingly, he came back. Surprising that they brought him back and surprising that he'd want to return to such a crowded backfield.

So who's going to make it? The draft pick or Gailey's long time RB?

In the end, I feel it's going to come down to who does better on Special Teams. Problem is, i'm not too positive if either is decent (or even plays) special teams. Anyone here able to comment on the Special Teams abilities of either guy?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

There are quite a handful of reserve battles on this roster. One of the more intriguing one's (in my opinion) is the battle for the #3 RB spot behind Spiller and Jackson.

On one hand, you have a guy we drafted with a 5th Round Pick just last year in Johnny White. Draft picks aren't usually given up on (although it does get easier the lower they are selected) just one year from getting picked. Especially if that player hasn't played much. But he didn't show much running the football in both the preseason and the regular season.

On the other hand, you've got Tashard Choice. A guy who's been around the league for a few years. More importantly, he and Gailey have a long history. He coached him in college and now he's coaching him in the pro's. We brought him in off waivers when Fred Jackson went down and he did a better job spelling Spiller than White. I figured he'd be gone at the end of the year. But, surprisingly, he came back. Surprising that they brought him back and surprising that he'd want to return to such a crowded backfield.

So who stays and who goes? The draft pick or Gailey's long time RB?

In the end, I feel it's going to come down to who does better on Special Teams. Problem is, i'm not too positive if either is decent (or even plays) special teams. Anyone here able to comment on the Special Teams abilities of either guy?

White is a pretty good gunner. I dont remember seeing Choice on ST at all, but he very well could've been.

So who stays and who goes? The draft pick or Gailey's long time RB?

I have no insight inot their special teams abilities, but I think Tashard over Johnny has got to be the choice. Choice got some playing time, abeit limited, in Dallas and showed flashes of being a very good running back. I realize Johnny White didn't play a ton, but what I saw of him didn't really impress me much...he seems like a sort of plodding runner...I think Choice is a bit more versatile. Given his history with Gailey, I think Choice will be on the opening day roster.

I do not see Special Teams being the deciding factor for these two guys. I think Choice's experience gives him the advantage over White.

Unless White really makes a statement in camp and preseason, I don't see him making the active roster.

So it's a special teams battle without being sure if either even plays special teams?

I do not see Special Teams being the deciding factor for these two guys. I think Choice's experience gives him the advantage over White.

Unless White really makes a statement in camp and preseason, I don't see him making the active roster.

I'll agree, generally.

Baring injury, white has almost no chance IMO. White was given very little chance last year after FJ went down...Then they RESIGNED Choice in the offseason. Clearly they plan on him being the #3 guy. White would really have to blow choice away in the preseason to have a chance.

Plus, it's last years 5th round pick, it's normal for some of those guys not to stick. He's 5-10, 200 lbs, and not that fast. I have nothing against the guy, just don't see how he makes the team baring injury.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Id prefer to go with White honestly. He's younger and still am unknown. We know what we have with Choice at this point. I'll give him credit for having more experience and that's why I think he will get the nod but at the end of the day, he sucked last year when he played. Not that White did any better because he sucked but Choice didn't exactly light up the stat sheet. It'll be Choice though and probably the smart move since we are no longer in "rebuilding" mode and into "win now or else" mode.

Baring injury, white has almost no chance IMO. White was given very little chance last year after FJ went down...Then they RESIGNED Choice in the offseason. Clearly they plan on him being the #3 guy. White would really have to blow choice away in the preseason to have a chance.

Plus, it's last years 5th round pick, it's normal for some of those guys not to stick. He's 5-10, 200 lbs, and not that fast. I have nothing against the guy, just don't see how he makes the team baring injury.

Really your second to last sentence nailed it. Finding guys that are his size with his skillset isn't that hard. In December if some injuries hit, or in years down the line a guy gets cut, or choice fails..... It's a lot easier to find a Johnny white player than some of the others that might be discussed on the edge of 53. its not like hes a guy thats a little undersized but all world speed, or some rare trait coupled with a slight knock that he needs to overcome. its just that hes very typical/average.

Edited by NoSaint

Really your second to last sentence nailed it. Finding guys that are his size with his skillset isn't that hard. In December if some injuries hit, or in years down the line a guy gets cut, or choice fails..... It's a lot easier to find a Johnny white player than some of the others that might be discussed on the edge of 53.

Yeah, I believe we could still practice squad him as well if the Bills still liked him. To your point though, guys like white generally aren't hard to find when needed. Choice hasn't done much in the NFL, but he has a little more pedigree, and certainly more experience. A good guy to have as your 3rd back. Plus the Gailey connection.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I don't think that White should make the team over Choice. I mean Tashard is by far a better running back and has a lot more to offer than white, I never really understood the Johnny White pick from the start, he's nothing special at all IMO.

Id prefer to go with White honestly. He's younger and still am unknown. We know what we have with Choice at this point. I'll give him credit for having more experience and that's why I think he will get the nod but at the end of the day, he sucked last year when he played. Not that White did any better because he sucked but Choice didn't exactly light up the stat sheet. It'll be Choice though and probably the smart move since we are no longer in "rebuilding" mode and into "win now or else" mode.

I kind of liked what I saw of Choice last year. He put up pretty solid numbers as a backup in Dallas, behind two other established guys...his average per carry was down about a yard, with Buffalo, but by the time he saw most of his playing time in a Bills uniform, the offense was pretty banged up. Sure, Spiller was better, but I am real comfortable with Choice as the #3 guy. White just looks like a straight ahead runner, with very little elusivness, to me.

When Johnny White was drafted Coach Gailey said they really like him because he did a lot of things, like kicking teams for example. I don't know if Choice did kicking teams or not. Seems like I saw him out there, but could be mistaken.

Johnny White's running style makes me laugh. He runs straight ahead until the first defender hits him, then he falls like a ton of bricks. He doesn't drag anybody or fake anyone out.

Choice did decent carrying the football last year when he got the chance. But, the man can't catch the football with a bushel basket. He gives SJ a run for the money in the drop department.

My nod goes to Choice. Just don't throw him the football. We can find someone else to put on kicking teams, like one of the rookies.

When Johnny White was drafted Coach Gailey said they really like him because he did a lot of things, like kicking teams for example. I don't know if Choice did kicking teams or not. Seems like I saw him out there, but could be mistaken.

Johnny White's running style makes me laugh. He runs straight ahead until the first defender hits him, then he falls like a ton of bricks. He doesn't drag anybody or fake anyone out.

Choice did decent carrying the football last year when he got the chance. But, the man can't catch the football with a bushel basket. He gives SJ a run for the money in the drop department.

My nod goes to Choice. Just don't throw him the football. We can find someone else to put on kicking teams, like one of the rookies.

his first few seasons, he caught a decent number of balls. also had a pretty good showing on the ground. whether hes still that guy is questionable. bouncing around teams and systems hurts. silly things like catching get messy when you are trying to remember assignments and routes and where your blockers will be and actually thinking instead of just catching.

I’ve got to give the slight nod to White due to age and versatility. Choice is average at best and we pretty much know what we’ll get from him, which is not much. Don’t ask him to catch the ball at all. While White is a bit more of an unknown, I’d like to see what he can do with a full off season and a year to adjust to the speed of the pro game…give him some time to get comfortable. I believe that while at UNC White returned kicks/punts and played some receiver in addition to playing RB so he is much more versatile than Choice. I also think that if we cut Choice at the end of camp, there’s a better chance that no one will pick him up and he would still be available for us to re-sign if we needed to. Keep in mind that he did play for 3 teams last year.

I’ve got to give the slight nod to White due to age and versatility. Choice is average at best and we pretty much know what we’ll get from him, which is not much. Don’t ask him to catch the ball at all. While White is a bit more of an unknown, I’d like to see what he can do with a full off season and a year to adjust to the speed of the pro game…give him some time to get comfortable. I believe that while at UNC White returned kicks/punts and played some receiver in addition to playing RB so he is much more versatile than Choice. I also think that if we cut Choice at the end of camp, there’s a better chance that no one will pick him up and he would still be available for us to re-sign if we needed to. Keep in mind that he did play for 3 teams last year.

wouldnt the fact that once cut he was picked up quickly indicate he may not be there for us. id guess the opposite and a late rounder like white that hasnt shown any flashes on the field yet would have much more trouble finding a home. pro personnel wouldnt have great film on him, and college scouts didnt like him enough to stick there necks out. RB is a tough spot to grab on - which would hurt either though.

i think many here forget choice had a few seasons of 5+ yards per carry, and decent receiving numbers very recently. what happened the last 18 months, and specifically after signing with us mid season may not be a situation where we "know what we have" if you have only seen him in buffalo.

Edited by NoSaint