Taking your kid to a Bills game

My first game was just before I turned 10 (Jim Kelly's Wall of Fame induction day). My dad and I sat in a section that was made up largely of season ticket holders and I had a great time.

Edited by LeviF91

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe as others have said , it somewhat of a gamble if you not a season ticket subscriber and are aware of game to game surroundings. Season ticket subscribers have the advantage of knowing better what to be expected in their immediate area. Attending games on best ticket available price wise , very much an unknown as to what the environment around yourself and family. In this light don't see it wise for Mom or Dad to take the gamble of taking to game pre teen children, and would need to consider maturity and sensitivities of young teens. Having to put a age on it given I feel at times very uneasy at games, would say 18 years old, not so confident of wanting to subject myself or children at least the the unknowns of behaviors I would rather they did not experience. Much of lifes negatives we need learn to deal with, but certainly I am not going to pay to do so....

My dad took me to my first game when i was 5. Greatest experience ive had... Front row seats to the fins game, it was one of bruce's last years in Buff and after the game he tossed his sweaty towel at me. I thought it was the coolest thing ever haha.. point being, its never to early to breed them

Taking the newborn is probably the best age - too young to remember it and be emotionally scarred for life :P

I've taken my son to a game every year since he was about 7 yrs old (my brother and I fly in every year for years and treat my Dad to a game with us and our sons for his birthday). There's going to be drunken idiots and F bombs and unsociable behavior which you won't be able to avoid - a lot of it depends on 1) your tolerance to exposing your kids to that and 2) your kids previous exposure/experience to things of that nature. For me personally I don't get bent if my kid hears a passing F-bomb, or walks by some idiot puking on himself - I'd obviously rather not see that, but you have to assume it could happen. As far as comments about kids getting bored? - I think it obviously helps if the kid actually watches football and is a fan. My kids have watched Bills games with me since they were babies and are Bills fans - so getting bored at the stadium was never an issue (even with perennially crappy teams and games)...

I took my daughter one year too - to a Raiders game - and remember walking through the parking lot on a cloudy gloomy day with Raiders freaks all painted/costumed up and fires burning and drunks and swearing everywhere - like some kind of alcoholic apocalyptic mad-max dream sequence. I'll never forget the look on my daughter's face - probably around 11 yrs old at the time (who had seen a lot in terms of public music festivals and the like with plenty of drinking etc.) - just looking at me as if to say W T F?!?! And that was just the walk to the stadium :)

Every time this subject comes up I think back to one particular experience I had as a young kid going to a Bills game. We went to one game a year and always sat in cheap end zone seats with rowdy people surrounding us. My most distinct memory was one game walking up the stairs after the game was over, and a passed-out drunk laying sprawled across two benches with his dick hanging out of his pants literally pissing on himself. I looked at this guy, then looked at my Dad, having no idea what his reaction would be - and he looked at me steady and said simply "Move along, son". It was like one of those Christmas Story moments - where you share some kind of unspoken connection with your Dad.

Every time this subject comes up I think back to one particular experience I had as a young kid going to a Bills game. We went to one game a year and always sat in cheap end zone seats with rowdy people surrounding us. My most distinct memory was one game walking up the stairs after the game was over, and a passed-out drunk laying sprawled across two benches with his dick hanging out of his pants literally pissing on himself. I looked at this guy, then looked at my Dad, having no idea what his reaction would be - and he looked at me steady and said simply "Move along, son". It was like one of those Christmas Story moments - where you share some kind of unspoken connection with your Dad.

That's probably the best "don't let this happen to you, son" story I've ever heard :)

My wife and I are expecting our first child and to say I am excited is a huge understatement.

Of course being a Bills fan, one of the questions I thought to myself was what is a good age to bring your son/daughter to a Bills game?

Thanks everyone and GO BILLS!

:thumbsup: Also CONGRATS!!!

I took my girls to their first game when they were around 8. We had no problems and we were in the end zone.

Have to admit that some of the outside the stadium activities were more bothersome but the Bills have been great about creating the Family Section and the Family preseason game. Although my girls are now adults I would not hesitate to contact an usher/security if excessive cursing was going on in our section.

As others have said ... good to have another Bills' fan in this world!

I am scared for life from when my Dad took me to an Eagles game when I was a little kid. I would wait until they are older and want to take you to a Bills game.

Edited by bmur66

Oh don't listen to anyone.. my son was born in the month of Oct. He was weeks old and at his first game in the same month.

It rowdy, its crazy... but if u can not protect ur self, do not bring ur kid.

He is 3 this Oct.. and we went last year at age 2. We already have our Titans tickets for this year.

In '09 he slept, '10 he was awake for a quarter and passed out, '11 he sat on my shoulders and watch the whole game, and in '12 i expect the same as last year.. just this year he talks and already say "go bills" and even "beardo".. dont ask, lol

Dress them warm depending on the month and have fun, and dont drink with ur kid in the car

I used to be a bit more tight-assed about taking my kids because I grew up near the stadium. So, I'd get the occasional drunken tool passing out in my front yard (let's not get into the Dead shows!). That said, it is all about how you deal with it. I'd *rather* everyone sat the hell down all game long, never used any bad language, and took it easy on the sauce. Why? Because I'm a dad.

That said, welcome to reality. I don't expect anyone to go out of their way for me. I expect them to have a hell of a good time. Of course, puking on my kid and punching my wife is over the top, but I've never seen that actually happen (nor would I expect it to).

Use it to teach, stay patient, explain away what's going on if the kids are old enough. Pony up some extra $$ for a good seat as they're usually calmer. If someone pushes it, call the ushers.

Edit: I promise they hear language just as bad on the school bus.

Edited by mcjeff215

I took my son when he was about 9-10, a few years back. After we left he bathrooms, I said "Dont repeat anything you heard in there to your Mother." He didnt and we have been back several times. Never had any issues whatsoever and we didnt go to the family section.

The language at a Bills game largely resembles the type of speech one can be sure to encounter in the modern American high school hallway. The dress of women at games is generally more conservative and subdued then it is at school as well. Bills games present great teachable moments for one's kids depending on the tolerance level you and your kids have regarding the "fun" that goes on during games.

Just to pile on....I echo Maddog69, Jauronimo, and Stevewin (and a few other previous posters).....absolutely take your children to a Bills regular season game. I have been taking my son since he was 7 and am glad I started this annual trek back to Buffalo......this fall will be our fourth trip.

A little preteaching about what to expect (and really ignore) goes a long way. Not sure that a lot that he sees at a Bills game (including pre and post game) will ever be replicated anywhere in his everday life (language included) but that is the beauty of these excursions.....

A Bills game-day experience will reveal the best and worst of Bills fans....enjoy the moment with your son (daughter), soak it in, know that you are building memories and possible a tradition that will bond you for a lifetime.....you will not regret this at all.

My first Bills game was when I was around 8 or 9. I don't remember much about the game itself, but I had an unforgettable experience walking to our seats.

Some jets fans (in their early twenties I'd guess) were acting like jackasses talking smack and cursing at everyone who was walking by. My dad grabbed my hand and put himself between me and these jokers. As we got closer I noticed they were squirting condiments all over the place and got some mustard on my Dad's sleeve. Well, he grabbed on of the guys and threw him up against the wall, and stiff armed another to the ground when he tried to come to his buddy's aid. Security must've already been on their way because as soon as it started, it was already over. Security didn't say anything to my dad except to ask if I was alright and told us to enjoy the game.

I'll always remember it because up until that point I thought never thought of my dad as particularly tough. Smart, funny, cool, yes - but I never saw him set it on anyone like that before, even if it was just some college kids.

Just wanted to share that.

To answer the ? I wouldn't bring kids younger than 10-12 depending on the kid. Odds are you wont have the debauchery in your face, but they'll certainly see/hear some unsavory things at least in passing. Also, unless they are into the game, you'll probably spend more time paying attention to the kid than the game. However, I brought my 7 year old nephew to the preseason kid's game last year and he had a blast. As mentioned before the preseason games are much more docile and family friendly.

My first Bills game was when I was around 8 or 9. I don't remember much about the game itself, but I had an unforgettable experience walking to our seats.

Some jets fans (in their early twenties I'd guess) were acting like jackasses talking smack and cursing at everyone who was walking by. My dad grabbed my hand and put himself between me and these jokers. As we got closer I noticed they were squirting condiments all over the place and got some mustard on my Dad's sleeve. Well, he grabbed on of the guys and threw him up against the wall, and stiff armed another to the ground when he tried to come to his buddy's aid. Security must've already been on their way because as soon as it started, it was already over. Security didn't say anything to my dad except to ask if I was alright and told us to enjoy the game.

I'll always remember it because up until that point I thought never thought of my dad as particularly tough. Smart, funny, cool, yes - but I never saw him set it on anyone like that before, even if it was just some college kids.

Just wanted to share that.

To answer the ? I wouldn't bring kids younger than 10-12 depending on the kid. Odds are you wont have the debauchery in your face, but they'll certainly see/hear some unsavory things at least in passing. Also, unless they are into the game, you'll probably spend more time paying attention to the kid than the game. However, I brought my 7 year old nephew to the preseason kid's game last year and he had a blast. As mentioned before the preseason games are much more docile and family friendly.

Great story. I think preseason is the way to go.

It also depends on your child's tolerance for alcohol. My 15 year old won't touch the stuff, so he's clearly not ready to attend games. But my 12 year old can put 'em away with most 16 year olds, so he's in. Point is, theres no specific age. It really depends on the child and his/her maturity.

i agree. and the europeans have it down. american kids are not ready to drink at a young enough age. a friend of mines folks were from italy--and when i went to their house(at about age 12) i got this massive(like the old gas station glass) full of wine served to me at dinner.I guzzled it like any other drink. I dropped the plate of food in my lap.-I blame that on my parents.

My parents starting taking me to the Old War Memorial stadium to watch the Juice when I was about 7 & I really was too young to really "get" the game. I spent most of the time watching the crowd. I didn't really start to appreciate the actual game until I was about 13.

It would have helped it the game was explained to me better than it was.

It also depends on your child's tolerance for alcohol. My 15 year old won't touch the stuff, so he's clearly not ready to attend games. But my 12 year old can put 'em away with most 16 year olds, so he's in. Point is, theres no specific age. It really depends on the child and his/her maturity.

FATHER OF THE YEAR!! LOL...good point!

Went to a game versus the Browns (I think)four years ago. Sat in a friend's seat 7th row 40 yard line right under Ralph's box. I'm not sure I was old enough (47) for the language, abuse to players, drunks, fights that took place that day. One of the Brown's players threatened to come into the stands after fans, and that was during a vitory. Last time I will ever go to a Bills game. You'd be better off going to a soccer game in Manchester, England.

I used to buy up a friend's season ticket seats when he couldn't go, and had similar experiences each time-although the Browns game was especially bad.

Edited by dogman

I currently live in MD and go to Ravens & Skins games on occasion and I hate the way the local fans treat me for wearing my Bills jersey. When I am at the Ralph I always make it a point to be friendly to fans of other teams - after all we are all fans of the same sport and it's how I would like to be treated at other stadiums.

Let's make the Ralph the stadium with the Best fans in the NFL!

20 years ago, Maybe.

Today. Not a chance in hell. There are some serious idiots that go to these games with no respect for anyone. In fact if I take my wife with me I pretty much expect that some jerk spilling beer all over her is going to cause me to defend her. No way would I take a kid unless its pre-season kids day or I have box seats.

Just because it's a football game doesn't mean it's OK to behave that way. You can have fun, be respectful and enjoy the game without being an a-hole

Edited by bmur66