Facebook IPO

PTS

So what is everyone's take on the big Facebook IPO? Right now it's anticipated to be at the $34-$38 range. Who knows what it will be once it gets to the general public.

I recently made some money on the sale of my old home so I will be sinking in $10k. I was on the fence last year about getting in on LinkedIn when it came out and I'm sorry everyday I didn't.

The IPO is tentatively scheduled for Friday. One of my good friends and former colleagues works for Adobe in NYC. They were notified today that Facebook might go up as early as tomorrow.

My plan is to buy ASAP, sell it at it's initial spike and re-buy it when it comes back down to Earth. Assuming it follows that path.

Edited by PTS

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, I noticed that GM pulling ads from fb

Earlier news this year that Gap, J.C. Penney, Nordstrom and GameStop have all opened and closed shops on Facebook within the past year:

Bloomberg report on fb closings

Just FYI for due diligence.

Thanks, I've been following the news for a while. As crazy as it sounds, my push to buy the stock has little to do with Facebook the company and a lot to do with the hype. I think a lot of people will buy because they think Facebook will be the next Google or Apple. Maybe some day but they've got a long way to go.

As I mentioned, I plan to buy right away (if the price makes sense) and sell it right away when it spikes.

Facebook is the devil. In 3 years it'll be gone. Google will hold on to the top for a while before the next google comes along. And I am betting that to be Mozzila.

In your opinion what will replace Facebook?

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a nice initial run-up. Problem is knowing how long that run-up will last. I thought I was pretty smart when I bought Google on day one and dumped if after doubling my money. Oops.

FB is sitting on a treasure trove of data. With data mining using unclassified data (Hadoop, for example), they can probably predict nearly anything about anyone on their platform. It's a marketing company's dream... And there's lots of value in that.

So what is everyone's take on the big Facebook IPO? Right now it's anticipated to be at the $34-$38 range. Who knows what it will be once it gets to the general public.

I recently made some money on the sale of my old home so I will be sinking in $10k. I was on the fence last year about getting in on LinkedIn when it came out and I'm sorry everyday I didn't.

The IPO is tentatively scheduled for Friday. One of my good friends and former colleagues works for Adobe in NYC. They were notified today that Facebook might go up as early as tomorrow.

My plan is to buy ASAP, sell it at it's initial spike and re-buy it when it comes back down to Earth. Assuming it follows that path.

Or just buy ASAP and lose 15-20%.

Oh well, only a couple grand lost at least.

I had a client call and say she wanted to buy some FB. I told her only if she was comfortable throwing that money out the window.

I'd expected it to top out around 42 or so within a fortnight, before beginning a descent into the 20's. I just didn't expect it to top out in the first five MINUTES.

Facebook did set aside a block of stocks for purchase by "regular people" (i.e. "our loyal customers", I believe it was). There's probably going to be a lot of interesting and stupid class-action suits from that decision...

I had wanted to buy some FB. My broker (with Wells Fargo) could not get any for me. Initially, I was pissed. Now, I am laughing. Although they supposedly set aside a higher percentage of shares for retail customers, the investment bankers got first crack at the lion's share.

At this point, I expect the market (not just FB) to go down. I am probably am just going to wait over the summer and see what happens. In the meantime, I do not feel sorry for the investment bankers for taking a hit rather than receiving the huge transfer of wealth that they had anticipated.

As an aside, my broker told me that the IPO price already had factored in the first five years of profits.