Toronto Series Extension

As you very smartly noted the most important thing that Nix first did was rework and upgrade the organization. He got rid of a lot of non-productive people such as Modrak and brought in a lot of quality fresh eyses to the operation. That set the base for a competently functioning opertation.

Thank god he gave John Guy a box to pack his **** up with becaiuse he would not have felt that we should ghave taken Mario to Tempo or Jimbo's house. He had a **** attitude. So glad that he and Modrak the wizard are out of here.

Are college and pro aquisitions sure as hell look a lot better these days!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comedian/TV game show host Drew Carey was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Carey FYI is a part owner of the Seattle Sounders of the MLS. Every 4 years Sounders season ticket holders get to vote on whether to keep or fire the GM. I can only imagine what a zoo that would be in Buffalo. On the plus side season ticket sales would soar.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

if they spend that money to make the team better who cares? I'd gladly trade 1 game a year for a mario williams or any 1st tier FA.

Also would you rather they play 1 game in Toronto or 1 game in london?

either was every team will lose one home game eventually

I'm all for building the fan base but from what I've seen at the home games, I don't think there is a whole lot of Canadiens who are that fired up about watching the Bills play. They come over on the buses, get hammered and watch about 2 quarters of the game. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are from Canada, and I have nothing against Canadiens but I just don't really feel like their interested in Bills football just the bus ride to the game, drinking and having fun with their friends. I've noticed at the games in Toronto that there is a fair amount of opposing teams colors flying rather than Bills. I could be wrong but that's the way that I see it, but as the old saying goes "Money talks and bs walks"

Go Bills!!

I'm all for building the fan base but from what I've seen at the home games, I don't think there is a whole lot of Canadiens who are that fired up about watching the Bills play. They come over on the buses, get hammered and watch about 2 quarters of the game. Don't get me wrong, some of my best friends are from Canada, and I have nothing against Canadiens but I just don't really feel like their interested in Bills football just the bus ride to the game, drinking and having fun with their friends. I've noticed at the games in Toronto that there is a fair amount of opposing teams colors flying rather than Bills. I could be wrong but that's the way that I see it, but as the old saying goes "Money talks and bs walks"

Go Bills!!

But we sucked. I think being good will change that. Get ready for some serious bandwagon climbing.

PTR

If it keeps the franchise in Buffalo, I'm all for it. Sure, the idea sucks, looks like it's about money, but we still have a team, we're not at the top of the "franchises to move to LA" list. And at least we're not like the Rams, playing games in London. THAT can't be about increasing fanbase!

I couldn't agree with you more - if we need to do this to keep the team "viable" (someone else's phrase) then I am for it - plus let's face it you season ticket holders - every other year we don't have to eat 2 preseason tickets-- Only 1!

Please explain how this series keeps the Bills in Buffalo. All teams have a stake in the network television contract, also receive a percentage or earnings from large market teams, along with all merchandise and licensing profits made by official NFL licensed products, which they split. that means ALL merchandise sold, not just Bills jerseys, but all jerseys, all hats, coffee mugs...etc sold on NFL licensed retailers is split among all teams. Luxury suite sales are a very small percentage of what makes up the profits of an NFL franchise, so that can be ruled out. Add to the income potential of stadium naming rights, which most teams partake in(you guessed it, Ralphie Poo doesn't), and stadium upgrades which Ralphie Poo pushes off to the state, and I'll ask again, How is this team not able to compete financially?

The answer you'd be looking for is they can and make more money than half of the league, but yes.... we need the Toronto series to "Be competitive"

People who think this team needs to play games in Toronto have been fooled by thinking it actually helps keep the Bills in Buffalo. It actually is doing the exact opposite, it's proving the NFL's viability in Toronto, and I don't care how you try to rationalize it, is just not good in any way.

Bills fans and the city of Buffalo are truly getting Jobbed on this deal, and the best part about it is people actually think it's helping. So if you think this is about revenue, and not grooming the team to move, try not to get too much sand up your nose.

It's a pretty standard premise in business that expanding market share is preferable to standing pat with a stagnant or declining share. Nothing is static in business, especially in a dynamic business like the NFL - you are either growing or declining. If you're in charge of business development for the Bills, operating within the WNY economy WITH THE INTENT OF REMAINING THERE AND/OR STAYING COMPETITIVE, how do you NOT pursue an increase in market share?

Without studying the team's balance sheet, the precise IMMEDIATE VALUE of the Toronto series is open to endless debate. But I don't think the ULTIMATE GOAL can be. There is nothing to this series that can rationally be interpreted as "grooming the team to move". What does that even mean, specifically? Is that, psychologically preparing the fanbase for the team's departure? Do you really think the team would put such time and effort in an initiative like that? If so, then for what purpose?

The only explanation for a Bills fan's lack of support for the team's business development efforts is fear and mistrust. The Toronto series is like a Rorschach (inkblot) test in terms of how you view the intentions of ownership. If you don't trust Ralph you see the series as putting one foot out the door. If you accept the idea that he's doing all he can to stay competitive in WNY, you understand the intent and are thus willing to swallow the bitter pill. The latter is where I am, completely. Personally, if the Bills WEREN'T aggressively trying to expand their market, THAT'S when I'd be concerned about the owner's intentions!

You can either fear the future, or prepare for it and embrace it. I think the latter is exactly what the Bills are doing. And by moving in this direction, make no mistake about it - they are INCREASING the attractiveness of the WNY market to the next ownership group. Put yourself in the shoes of the next owner who's looking at seeing how the numbers work. Does the Bills' expanding foothold into the Toronto market make you more or less inclined to keep the team in WNY rather than moving it West?

It's a pretty standard premise in business that expanding market share is preferable to standing pat with a stagnant or declining share. Nothing is static in business, especially in a dynamic business like the NFL - you are either growing or declining. If you're in charge of business development for the Bills, operating within the WNY economy WITH THE INTENT OF REMAINING THERE AND/OR STAYING COMPETITIVE, how do you NOT pursue an increase in market share?

Without studying the team's balance sheet, the precise IMMEDIATE VALUE of the Toronto series is open to endless debate. But I don't think the ULTIMATE GOAL can be. There is nothing to this series that can rationally be interpreted as "grooming the team to move". What does that even mean, specifically? Is that, psychologically preparing the fanbase for the team's departure? Do you really think the team would put such time and effort in an initiative like that? If so, then for what purpose?

The only explanation for a Bills fan's lack of support for the team's business development efforts is fear and mistrust. The Toronto series is like a Rorschach (inkblot) test in terms of how you view the intentions of ownership. If you don't trust Ralph you see the series as putting one foot out the door. If you accept the idea that he's doing all he can to stay competitive in WNY, you understand the intent and are thus willing to swallow the bitter pill. The latter is where I am, completely. Personally, if the Bills WEREN'T aggressively trying to expand their market, THAT'S when I'd be concerned about the owner's intentions!

You can either fear the future, or prepare for it and embrace it. I think the latter is exactly what the Bills are doing. And by moving in this direction, make no mistake about it - they are INCREASING the attractiveness of the WNY market to the next ownership group. Put yourself in the shoes of the next owner who's looking at seeing how the numbers work. Does the Bills' expanding foothold into the Toronto market make you more or less inclined to keep the team in WNY rather than moving it West?

Wow rational thought on this board!? This was wellsaid we definitely often believe what we are conditioned to believe. (Like 47% of Americans still think obama is a Muslim) it is also true that the bills still make a profit - lots of it - just not as much as some places

Love it or hate it (I'm ok with it as long as no AFCE games are played there), the series HAS helped to regionalize (and thus make more financially viable) the franchise. I don't recall where I read it, but the Southern Ontario fan base has overtaken the Rochester fan base in season ticket support.

And don't forget, the Bills have SUCKED during the first years of the series. If we see a playoff-caliber team up there at the end of the year, I'm anxious to see how the composition (and excitement level) of the crowd changes.

This speaks to the reality of the situation. Essentially the game was sold to a huge suite that happens to sit in Toronto. Like it or not this deal along with the regionalization concept may be what keeps the Bills in Buffalo after RW passes on. The real gem behind the regional concept is that it opens the TV market. The NFL wants to be international and this is a simple way for them to do this.

It could be more of a home game if the Bills fans attended in better numbers.

This thread has made it very clear (again) as to where WEO's fan allegiances lie. He's been an unabashed pats* lover since he started on the board, so he's not going to change now.

Essentially the game was sold to a huge suite that happens to sit in Toronto. Like it or not this deal along with the regionalization concept may be what keeps the Bills in Buffalo after RW passes on. The real gem behind the regional concept is that it opens the TV market. The NFL wants to be international and this is a simple way for them to do this.

It's ironic that the Bills are working to take advantage of their geographic proximity to Toronto and become the NFL's gateway to Canada's largest market, yet many Bills fans can only see it as a threat. Given WNY's economy, I think the real threat to the Buffalo franchise is in hunkering down and trying to keep "outsiders" out.

It's not a done deal that this series will be extended. Rogers is not going to pay the $10 million / game that they are now. Brandon is going to have to come clean as to where these negotiations stand when he begins the stadium lease negotiations.

And where is this stadium improvement report ? How long can they take on it ?

It's not a done deal that this series will be extended. Rogers is not going to pay the $10 million / game that they are now. Brandon is going to have to come clean as to where these negotiations stand when he begins the stadium lease negotiations.

And where is this stadium improvement report ? How long can they take on it ?

It's almost a done deal. Although the finances are going to be scaled down.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-21/buffalo-bills-working-on-toronto-game-extension-plan

This thread has made it very clear (again) as to where WEO's fan allegiances lie. He's been an unabashed pats* lover since he started on the board, so he's not going to change now.

It's also ironic that his beloved Pats* left Boston years ago to become the regional "New England Patriots". That's okay but the Bills being a regional team is not?

PTR

if it helps keep the team in wny i would be reasonably comfortable with up to four games in to, as long as all playoffs were here

hell, if its between that and losing the team to the wc id rather they move all the games to toronto. better than nuthin

It's also ironic that his beloved Pats* left Boston years ago to become the regional "New England Patriots". That's okay but the Bills being a regional team is not?

PTR

Ramius, on 19 May 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

There is nothing in WEO's numerous postings that indicate that he isn't a loyal fan. Without a doubt he is highly critical of the the way the local franchise has been managed. What is so surprising about that? The Bills have been a lower tiered team for almost a generation. Do you expect people to salute those people who managed this floundering franchise?

I admire the way Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are run. They are in small to mid-sized markets yet are able to consistently compete at a high level. Their long term winning records dwarf the losing record of the hometown team. All three of these very stable organizations are examples of how to run a franchise. Buffalo is more of a model of how not to run a franchise. Does acknowledging other well run franchises make me less of a hometown fan? In my view it doesn't; in your view it might.

Without a doubt it isn't all doom and gloom. The owner has finally made a good football hire in NIx; more importantly it seems that he has given him the authority to run the football operation without much interference. The point that WEO makes with respect to New England is that their wise owner was smart enough to invest in high quality staffing and invest in a front office and organization that for the past decade or so has been the most successful organization in the NFL. Admiring those accomplishment doesn't make one disloyal.

Edited by JohnC

I can't imagine how the management of this team continues to turn it's back on the city and state that has poured it's heart, soul, and money into it for over 50 years.

What a nauseating bit of news, not that it wasn't expected.

Maybe you missed the half-empty stadium last December because the games were blacked out.

PTR

It's ironic that the Bills are working to take advantage of their geographic proximity to Toronto and become the NFL's gateway to Canada's largest market, yet many Bills fans can only see it as a threat. Given WNY's economy, I think the real threat to the Buffalo franchise is in hunkering down and trying to keep "outsiders" out.

That's a good take on the situation.

I wonder what % of those opposed to the Toronto game live in WNY. My guess is a high percentage and I might feel the same if I still lived in the area. WNY has been battered and bruised, you can't blame folks if they have a bunker mentality.