Will Brad Smith be cut?

because he can play more than one position ( in theory haha )he has added value. just recall Brad got to the playbook late and Chan has already said he didn't get the chance to use him as planned due to wide receiver injuries.

also, thigpen is struggling to hold the clipboard. so he stays at #3 and Corp of Tanny go to practice squad, Vince becomes #2 quickly.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Smith will be competing with other receivers and special teams players for a spot on the roster. It will be up to him to make it or not.

Vince Young will compete against Pigpen for the back up QB spot. One of the two will not make the team. The #3 QB will be a rookie/developmental QB.

Pretty simple in my opinion. I like that we have healthy competition for roster spots. It has been a while since this team has had this kind of competition.

Kudos to Buddy and Chan for turning this team around.

Smith to WR, Pigpen gone :-) I hope, Vince as the backup and one of the rookies as #3. It was obvious that the concern last year with the broken ribs on Fitz our coach didn't trust any of the backups. I think Chan said after the draft 'ok its about the QB position now guys! Go bills

I don't think it means that B. Smith will necessarily be cut...I think that it means that there will be more competition for the #2 QB and Wildcat option player.

Young could very well be cut if his reported bad attitude resurfaces.

But this certainly makes for a much more interesting training camp. Buddy is firing on all cylinders. We've got free agents, draft picks, undrafted players, and tryout players. Leave no stone unturned...

The competition should be fierce, and may the cream rise to the top.

Young is a better passer than Smith, and a better runner than Thigpen. If he can curtail his behavioral exploits, the Bills may have just gotten a ton better!

This could be a perfect place for Vince Young - it is low key enough for him to focus on football. The expectations aren't as high as they were in Philly, and he doesn't have a bunch of PrimaDonna's surrounding him - he has a bunch of hard working football players. If he can just take this as a break from the madness and hoopla of fame and settle into anonymous work (yeah, I know the media is still here - but, if he does well here, stays quiet, plays good when he's given the chance, people here will embrace him) he should find Buffalo is a good resting spot/stop for him this year.

About that one year contract, though. That is the only thing that is a bit of a head scratcher for me. One year contracts almost always are attached to players who want a chance to prove themsleves before settling on a middle or low end long term contract. It is the kind of contract a player signs when they expect they're going to show the world how good they are, and then be in demand again. Sitting on the bench in Buffalo is the exact opposite of that. So, either Buffalo only wanted him for a year - and were willing to pay him 2 million, with options for more, to potentially sit on the bench - or, they had to accept the one year contract; and if it were Vince insisting on the one year deal, then it seems he believes, for whatever reason, that he'll have a chance to improve the perception the league currently has of him. Odd.

Bills fans are cheap

Bills fans are asleep.

also, thigpen is struggling to hold the clipboard. so he stays at #3 and Corp or Tanny go to practice squad, Vince becomes #2 quickly.

Then Thigpen really needs to spend more time in the weight room.

The guy was disappointing last year and now it comes out that he had trouble holding a clipboard?

I wonder if it's physical or mental, maybe he got a concussion when that warmup pass hit him in the head.

Bills fans are asleep.

Then Thigpen really needs to spend more time in the weight room.

The guy was disappointing last year and now it comes out that he had trouble holding a clipboard?

I wonder if it's physical or mental, maybe he got a concussion when that warmup pass hit him in the head.

It was the pass to the head i will remember him for. That was highlight reel material if i ever saw it! lol :thumbsup:

It was the pass to the head i will remember him for. That was highlight reel material if i ever saw it! lol :thumbsup:

A buddy of mine who lives in Myrtle Beach has been to Coastal Carolina's stadium where Thigpen's name is apparently honored with a banner.

BTW, Coastal has also produced recent NFLers Mike Tolbert, Jerome Simpson, and Josh Norman who was just drafted by the Panthers.

According to my buddy, Thigpen is not well-liked down there… I guess he maintains the BMOC persona, a la Ryan Leaf in Pullman.

This could be a perfect place for Vince Young - it is low key enough for him to focus on football. The expectations aren't as high as they were in Philly, and he doesn't have a bunch of PrimaDonna's surrounding him - he has a bunch of hard working football players. If he can just take this as a break from the madness and hoopla of fame and settle into anonymous work (yeah, I know the media is still here - but, if he does well here, stays quiet, plays good when he's given the chance, people here will embrace him) he should find Buffalo is a good resting spot/stop for him this year.

About that one year contract, though. That is the only thing that is a bit of a head scratcher for me. One year contracts almost always are attached to players who want a chance to prove themsleves before settling on a middle or low end long term contract. It is the kind of contract a player signs when they expect they're going to show the world how good they are, and then be in demand again. Sitting on the bench in Buffalo is the exact opposite of that. So, either Buffalo only wanted him for a year - and were willing to pay him 2 million, with options for more, to potentially sit on the bench - or, they had to accept the one year contract; and if it were Vince insisting on the one year deal, then it seems he believes, for whatever reason, that he'll have a chance to improve the perception the league currently has of him. Odd.

Vince refused a 2 year deal in Philly. I imagine likewise here.

A buddy of mine who lives in Myrtle Beach has been to Coastal Carolina's stadium where Thigpen's name is apparently honored with a banner.

BTW, Coastal has also produced recent NFLers Mike Tolbert, Jerome Simpson, and Josh Norman who was just drafted by the Panthers.

According to my buddy, Thigpen is not well-liked down there… I guess he maintains the BMOC persona, a la Ryan Leaf in Pullman.

Hasn't he come out pretty vocally on some recent issues there? I didn't pay attention since i don't much care about the program but he ripped the coach or AD or someone I thought. Might ruffle some feathers.

neither will be cut. I could honestly see the rookie kid going to PS and the bills keeping VY, Thigpen in the flock with Fitz as starter. If Fitz goes down they'd still have a backup to the backup without having the third string. This team has always had a history of valuing special teams - it's not interesting to see that we have Mark Pike = Corey McIntyre and Steve Tasker = Brad Smith types on this team - then we're going to possibly keep a 2nd kicker. Wow, I really wish the NFL would get smart, give temporary IR players and give teams more activated people for gameday. It'd cut down on injury.

You're right, of course, Smith stays. That much is clear from signing Lee as QB coach and from what Chan said in the presser.

Do they keep both Thiggy and VY? I think it's going to depend a lot on how the rookie QBs come along in OTAs and training camp, and how Thiggy and VY perform.

In addition to his crappy preseason play and his notable absence when Fitz was injured and struggling, Thigpen didn't join the training party at Fitz's AZ manse last summer and evidently doesn't eat with Fitz and the OL "he comes when he has time" (when he has time? what's he doing with his time that's more important than bonding with his teammates?). Did Thiggy really throw himself into the team and learning the playbook? Or did he show up expecting to compete for the starting role, find out that really wasn't in the cards, and sulk?

If VY shows up with his head in the playbook and ready to rhumba, and Thiggy doesn't, he's gone. I really don't see them keeping both on the 53 man roster, but I've been wrong before.

Yeah, I was thinking this very thought when I walked my dog this morning. Buffalo should offer a respite from any distractions that come from more marquee locations like NY, LA, Dallas, Miami, etc. Though Nashville is not necessarily a rocking city- it does have its fair share of transients looking to make it big in Country music. I think what did Young in was having to shoulder the burden of being "The Man". I don't know that he could handle it, psychologically. Now, some may scoff at that and suggest that he played on a National Title competing team in Texas, but I would argue that QB'ing an NFL team with the professional responsibilities is a different beast entirely.

Let us not forget, that as I recall this is the same Vince Young that looked like an unbeatable, come-from-behind stud of a QB when he was playing for the Titans then was having the police have to come to his house as he was threatening to kill himself.

This extremely strange and erratic behavior seems to have subsided, and hopefully for good.

But I see these and similar tirades as the perfect reason why you DO sign him to a 1-year deal. The guy has a track record of being a malcontent in the locker room, so why take the chance and sign him to a multi-year deal so that he can be comfortable? Similar to our clownish T.O. signing a couple of years ago, offering anything more to a player with a history of causing egotistical distractions would seem to reinforce to said player that they don't have to be up to their behavioral best, since they have something of security providing they play up to their contract.

Keeping them on a short leash, so to speak, with a 1 year deal, is the perfect way to minimize any potential meltdown while experimenting to improve your club.

Or maybe no other team was the least bit interested and the Bills wanted to limit their exposure by confining the deal to one year.

GO BILLS!!!

Bills fans are cheap

:lol:

BMOC?

neither will be cut. I could honestly see the rookie kid going to PS and the bills keeping VY, Thigpen in the flock with Fitz as starter. If Fitz goes down they'd still have a backup to the backup without having the third string. This team has always had a history of valuing special teams - it's not interesting to see that we have Mark Pike = Corey McIntyre and Steve Tasker = Brad Smith types on this team - then we're going to possibly keep a 2nd kicker. Wow, I really wish the NFL would get smart, give temporary IR players and give teams more activated people for gameday. It'd cut down on injury.

Can't keep Thig and Young the total salary would be 4.5-5.5 million in backup QB's. Not going to happen

Can't keep Thig and Young the total salary would be 4.5-5.5 million in backup QB's. Not going to happen

This. Thiggy got 2 million last year and is due to get 2.5 million this year. As soon as I saw they signed VY for 2 million I was like, b-bye Thiggy!

Unless Thiggy just lights up the place and VY just stinks up the place, Thiggy is gone.

Edited by Hopeful

I think one of the three: Thiggy, Young or Smith are cut after camp. If Smith can't emerge as a #2 WR my guess is he's gone. Way too expensive to keep. Can't throw. His wildcat was pathetic. Thiggy is prob gone also with Richmond QB as "Emergency QB."

To be fair to Smith, the wildcat was run just a couple of times the whole season and he took a knee in most of KRs (again thanks to the rule change).

Brad was not used well. Of course the Offense crumbled after the game against Washington and everyone was out of sync.

People are thinking about cutting Brad for Vince because of wildcat option.....

VINCE YOUNG HAS NOT EVER DONE WILDCAT

Brad still has a lot of value on this team....Thigpen will probably go who is actually more expensive then V. Young.

Vince ran the option in college, i think people get that confused with the wildcat for some reason. Brad Smith will focus on being a great WR if he can feel the direction of the wind right now.

Edited by benderbender