Where we stand right now in the AFC E

There is no way we can't be considered a contender at this point, even without all the preseason camps and early scouting reports on other teams. Just look at what's been going on with the other teams in our division. Well the patriots are the patriots, but who knows how their defense will be even after drafting a class of defenders this year. But as AFC champs they are the team to beat. Then look at the Jets, still mercurial with one controversy after another and a wildcat offense we can play against. And what is going on with the Dolphins? Have they turned into last decade's Bills? Then look at what we've done... pass rushers, re-signed 'core' players, haven't really lost any significant starters, drafted OL, DB, and LB. Goes without saying but this is a make or break season and I finally feel confident in the roster we have right now, arguably the best one we've had seen since '99. Major kudos to Buddy and friends for really setting up a competitive roster.

I like your optimism but they still haven't played a single down yet... We still are the worst team in the division until we prove it otherwise on the field. Don't you remember the Eagles won the Superbowl in last year's off-season.... they didn't make the playoffs.

There is no way we can't be considered a contender at this point, even without all the preseason camps and early scouting reports on other teams. Just look at what's been going on with the other teams in our division. Well the patriots are the patriots, but who knows how their defense will be even after drafting a class of defenders this year. But as AFC champs they are the team to beat. Then look at the Jets, still mercurial with one controversy after another and a wildcat offense we can play against. And what is going on with the Dolphins? Have they turned into last decade's Bills? Then look at what we've done... pass rushers, re-signed 'core' players, haven't really lost any significant starters, drafted OL, DB, and LB. Goes without saying but this is a make or break season and I finally feel confident in the roster we have right now, arguably the best one we've had seen since '99. Major kudos to Buddy and friends for really setting up a competitive roster.

The Pats are still the team to beat. I feel the Bills are closing the gap on them, and we could see a changing of the guard in the AFC East either this season or next season (with the Bills claiming the AFC East crown). With Matt Light retiring, that could be a huge advantage for the Bills pass rush. IMO, the Jets will still hover around 8-8/9-7, and will still have a good defense. Miami's saving grace is their defense, otherwise they would be a bottomfeeder in the NFL. I don't see them making any improvements this season.

The Pats are still the team to beat. I feel the Bills are closing the gap on them, and we could see a changing of the guard in the AFC East either this season or next season (with the Bills claiming the AFC East crown). With Matt Light retiring, that could be a huge advantage for the Bills pass rush. IMO, the Jets will still hover around 8-8/9-7, and will still have a good defense. Miami's saving grace is their defense, otherwise they would be a bottomfeeder in the NFL. I don't see them making any improvements this season.

I've really thought about that too. I feel the best I have in a long time about beating the Pats. We may have a near-perfect storm:

•  
  • New pass rush.............)
  • New LBs........................)
  • New DBs.........................}--> New Defense
  • New DC.........................)
  • Healthy vets returning..)
  • Retirement of Matt Light
  • Not much film out there on our new D (Frankly I wish we played in NE the first two weeks)
  • And with Bounty-gate maybe Brady will finally stop beating us so badly :D

We are 8-12 against the rest of the NFL the last two years.

We are 2-10 against our own division over that same span.

I am very optimistic about this season as some of you are, but until we start playing games and beating our division foes regularily I am not going to drink the Kool-aid even if it is Tutti-Frutti and looks realy good.

For everyone that thinks this team is in win now mode and that this is a make or break season consider this. The team is in far better shape than that in terms of the cap. All of the new FA signings and extentions are extremely cap friendly moving forward. When you also consider the cap moving forward they estimate that when the new TV money starts to roll in that the cap will rise substantially over the next couple of years. As of right now there is no reason to believe that this team cannot continue to develop it's roster effectively moving forward. Let's remember also that these FA deals are for more than just one season. Given the nature of our recent drafts this offseason may prove to be only the tip of the iceberg in building a perennial contender.

We are 8-12 against the rest of the NFL the last two years.

We are 2-10 against our own division over that same span.

I am very optimistic about this season as some of you are, but until we start playing games and beating our division foes regularily I am not going to drink the Kool-aid even if it is Tutti-Frutti and looks realy good.

We will be 5-1 against our division this year.

Break out the Jello Shots! :thumbsup:

How long has it been since we have had a off season like this one?

Ralph Wilson has opened the vault and Buddy has run with the money to give the Bills one exciting team next year..I feel the only position so far that has not been addressed as far as up grading is back up QB...

In next years draft there are several high quality QBs the Bills can go after ......

Nix has made this team a challenger not only for the playoffs but beyond...

Now if we can only stay healthy which has been a major problem for years...

This is going to be one exciting year for the Bills... but we will always find fans who will knock it ...

Can't please everyone......

Unfortunately the rest of anyone to show fhier opinions about these tes will say this:

Pats are the Pats. Prove you cam beat Brady, Bellicheck, and Welker. They gain players every yearamd lose players every year. In the end, Brady and BB win games and go to Super Bowls.

Jets got better signing TT. They also got the architect of the wildcat to use him as the best wildcat option ever in the NFL.

Regardless of how bad TT sucks or how Sparano is a fat ugly beast just like Rex and is not really the architect of the wildcat, everyone will see it that way anyway.

The Phins beat the Bills 2x last year and they got better with a franchise QB. Something the Bills don't have.

Right now? We are tied for first place, along with everyone else. Let's wait for a few games to be played before we assess our chances. That being said, it looks as if we have made more than a few very big moves to improve ourselves, especially on defense, that Fitz will be healthy and in charge, that we have two very good running backs and one very good receiver. Lots of reasons to be optimistic

How does the AFC look.. Here is My Opinion:

1. Pats -- Defending AFC Chanmpions, and have addressed their WR problem with addition of Lloyd and 9 other WR (LOL figure 1 of them will emerge my guess is Gaffney be the #2 WR w Welker back in the Slot) they also addressed the Defensive front 4 in the draft w all but 1 pick being D and 2 1st rounders projected be D starters. Weakness? The 2ndary is still suspect while they did add a new safety will McCourty rebound from his 2nd year slump? only time will tell. Prediction: 14-2/13-3 (weak schedule)

2. Bills -- have made some aggressive moves in FA w Williams and Anderson signings, defense should be vastly improved over last year and one of the teams leading in sacks by years end. With the offense healthy they should be able put up points again. weakness? very little depth so injuries to key players could effec t them greatly. I also do not see anyone to compliment CJ as a WR. Prediction: 12-4/11-5

3. Phins -- Have a very good D, but their O will scare NO ONE. Prediction: 5-11/4-12

4. J--E--T--S -- D is old and they are still imploding from within, their draft will be extreme busts or reward.. I am expecting bust, Rex Ryan gets fired as he loses even more control of the locker room. 3-13/2-14

Unfortunately the rest of anyone to show fhier opinions about these tes will say this:

Pats are the Pats. Prove you cam beat Brady, Bellicheck, and Welker. They gain players every yearamd lose players every year. In the end, Brady and BB win games and go to Super Bowls.

Jets got better signing TT. They also got the architect of the wildcat to use him as the best wildcat option ever in the NFL.

Regardless of how bad TT sucks or how Sparano is a fat ugly beast just like Rex and is not really the architect of the wildcat, everyone will see it that way anyway.

The Phins beat the Bills 2x last year and they got better with a franchise QB. Something the Bills don't have.

Ryan Tannehill is going to make the Dolphins better this year because he IS a franchise QB?? :rolleyes:

BUST!

Edited by BobChalmers

No they haven't because they have at least made the playoffs in the last decade.

I've really thought about that too. I feel the best I have in a long time about beating the Pats. We may have a near-perfect storm:

•  
  • New pass rush.............)
  • New LBs........................)
  • New DBs.........................}--> New Defense
  • New DC.........................)
  • Healthy vets returning..)
  • Retirement of Matt Light
  • Not much film out there on our new D (Frankly I wish we played in NE the first two weeks)
  • And with Bounty-gate maybe Brady will finally stop beating us so badly :D

Except we have a retread DC, a starting center who can barely walk, a DT and OLB with bum Achilles' tendons, a log jam of hope for a LT, and no credible #2 WR...all that and a suspect QB situation...very doubtful they can knock off the Patriots but with their light schedule they should be in the Wild Card discussion until at least week 13-14.