My 5 All Time Favorite Bills

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorites...

1. O.J. best I ever saw.

2. Reggie Mckenzie: no one was ever prouder to be a Bill.

3. Earl Edwards: Still remember him chasing Joe Namath all the way to the wall.

4. Jim Kelly: so many thrills.

5. Cornelius Bennett: Never understood what happened to his career.

6. Conrad Dobler: kicked people in the nuts.

7. Kent Hull: Warrior and underrated.

Least... FYI not big on legends.

1. Fred Smerlas: third and short-a guaranteed off-side penalty. Admitted to laying down in games to get Hank Bullough fired.

2. Doug Flutie: Overrated and never won a playoff game with a very good team.

3. Joe Ferguson: watched him walk around with his head down for ten years.

4. Tom Dempsey: Sat in a torential downfall to watch him miss a 33 yard field goal to extend Miami's mastery.

5. Ralph Wilson: Has held this town up for ransom countless times.

That's what he did best....that and turning a 5-yard sack into a 15-yard one. Horrible pocket prescence.

Vintage 1975 Bills...many of the TBD favorites are on board for this TD drive:

youtube.com/watch?v=gO2wjqR37rA

Man, all the names were there! Cosell said Rashad's name used to be LENNY Moore - LOL!

The Bills looked dominating there and I can't believe they ended up losing that game, and there season went down the tubes from there.

That buffalo mascot looks good there, but by the last game of the year, I was there when it was getting pummlled by snowballs, and Chuck Foreman got one in the eye. There was a lot of anger that day, because the ref (who was hanging in effigy in the locker room tunnel) took away our playoff chances the week before vs. the Dolphins.

Acutally, was going to mention Dennis Shaw...I was 6 when he QB'd the Bills, and as we shared the same first name, he was likely the guy most responsible for me attachment to the Bills. Dennis was not a very common name, back then, it seemed. Remember having a pair of Buffal Bills pj's, and one of my sisters, in sharpie, drew a "16" on the back, and Dennis across the top, for the name...but he was gone the next year...to play for the Cardinals. Though I was born in 1965, I consider my Bills years to have started in 1972.

For some you old-timers, why exactly did the Bills dump Shaw after one, rookie of the year, season? I have never known. I realize, Fergy ended up having a much more productive career, in retrospect, but what was it with Shaw that made him so expendable?

Dennis Shaw's wife used to teach with my father - for the couple of years they were here.........I actually wondered what you are asking myself and looked it up a few months ago.

I'm not really sure how Shaw won the ROY award. His numbers were not that good. But, I remember thinking Well, hey if he won that then we're going to have a good quarterback. But, then his numbers regressed even more and I think he had a major injury and that was that.........But, I think we traded him for Rashad!

1336398106[/url]' post='2459844']

:rolleyes: Yes, things were much better when nobody talked about things, or knew what was really going on!

But I do agree...Fergy was great!

Acutally, was going to mention Dennis Shaw...I was 6 when he QB'd the Bills, and as we shared the same first name, he was likely the guy most responsible for me attachment to the Bills. Dennis was not a very common name, back then, it seemed. Remember having a pair of Buffal Bills pj's, and one of my sisters, in sharpie, drew a "16" on the back, and Dennis across the top, for the name...but he was gone the next year...to play for the Cardinals. Though I was born in 1965, I consider my Bills years to have started in 1972.

For some you old-timers, why exactly did the Bills dump Shaw after one, rookie of the year, season? I have never known. I realize, Fergy ended up having a much more productive career, in retrospect, but what was it with Shaw that made him so expendable?

IIRC, he (Shaw) made some racial remarks in the clubhouse that fractured the team. After that they wanted him out, drafted Fergy in the 3rd Round and had him starting by the 3rd game of '73. We traded him in the offseason to St. Louis for Booby Moore.. Aka Philicia's husband.

That's how I remember it anyway..

I'm just going to go with one of my favorites and one of my least favorites, based on my experiences with both:

Favorite: Marcellus Wiley. (He stopped by our Bills Backers club in Orange County, Calif. during the offseason and hung out with us for about three hours. One of the classiest football players I've ever met. He didn't leave until he shook every hand, autographed every picture/ball, etc. He really seemed to enjoy himself.)

Least Favorite: Lonnie FRIGGIN' Johnson. (Never saw a ball he didn't drop. That's the only Bill that ever worked me up, New Yawk style, screaming obscenities at my TV).

BA

Man, all the names were there! Cosell said Rashad's name used to be LENNY Moore - LOL!

The Bills looked dominating there and I can't believe they ended up losing that game, and there season went down the tubes from there.

That buffalo mascot looks good there, but by the last game of the year, I was there when it was getting pummlled by snowballs, and Chuck Foreman got one in the eye. There was a lot of anger that day, because the ref (who was hanging in effigy in the locker room tunnel) took away our playoff chances the week before vs. the Dolphins.

If I recall, this was the infamous game where "some idiotic individual, obviously liquroed up" tried to tight-rope his way across Rich Stadium...caused a big delay in the game. :lol: Cosell went off on a tirade about the fans in Buffalo, and, IIRC, received death threats the next time the MNF crew showed up in Buffalo.

Thanks (to Chandler too!) for the Shaw info...kind of miss the days when we didn't know all the off the field stuff! Have heard stories about racial problems in the locker room over the years, but never about Shaw.

Edited by Buftex

In order

1) Thurman Thomas (Best player we've had since I've been a fan)

2) Jim Kelly (The leader during the glory years)

3) Bruce Smith (How many times did he get that sack on 3rd down when we really needed it)

4) Eric Moulds (A prototype receiver who would have been a hof on a different team)

5) Antoine Winfield (Tackling machine with very good cover skills and tremendous heart)

Least Favorite In Order

1) Ledois Mckelvin (Bone head play after bone head play; still steaming over that fumble to the Patriots)

2) Lee Evans (good one dimensional player but complained way too much)

3) Whoever played corner back opposite Nate Odoms (Nothing but bums opposite him)

4) Mike Mularkey (quit on us. And you were not as good as advertised)

5) Tom Donahoe (whatever you did to old man Ralph, sent us to a decade of cheap spending and marketing guys running the team)

Favorite Current bills

1) Stevie Johnson - The only reason why we even get mentioned on Espn or nfl net. Plus a very solid #1 receiver

2) Marcel Dareus - The best defensive football player we have

3) George Wilson - In spirts he showed game changing elite level safety play on par with any of the current greats. Hard to believe he was a bench warming wideout.

4) Ryan Fitzpatrick - I like the swag, the beard and has the best nickname in the biz "The Omish Riffle"

5) Chan Gailey - A breath of fresh air after the other goons we had. Seeing him with those glasses holding that sheet calling out plays makes me feel that we are headed in the right direction. I just hope we diversify from all the short stuff and I hope we establish the run a little more out of 2 back sets.

Hey, OJ wasn't convicted of murder. He didn't kill anyone. The Glove didn't fit.

During his playing days OJ was one of my favs. I even shed a tear as a kid when he was traded to SF.

My list:

Fergy

Kelly

Bruce

Chandler

OJ/Thurman (If not for the trouble he is in, it would have been OJ)

I'm just going to go with one of my favorites and one of my least favorites, based on my experiences with both:

Favorite: Marcellus Wiley. (He stopped by our Bills Backers club in Orange County, Calif. during the offseason and hung out with us for about three hours. One of the classiest football players I've ever met. He didn't leave until he shook every hand, autographed every picture/ball, etc. He really seemed to enjoy himself.)

Least Favorite: Lonnie FRIGGIN' Johnson. (Never saw a ball he didn't drop. That's the only Bill that ever worked me up, New Yawk style, screaming obscenities at my TV).

BA

Lonnie didn't drop that ball in Green Bay when he ran backwards down the field!

If I recall, this was the infamous game where "some idiotic individual, obviously liquroed up" tried to tight-rope his way across Rich Stadium...caused a big delay in the game. :lol: Cosell went off on a tirade about the fans in Buffalo, and, IIRC, received death threats the next time the MNF crew showed up in Buffalo.

That was the game all right! Man, I was so sure the Bills were going to the Super Bowl until this game happened. I blame it on the idiotic liquored up individual!

Everybody pretty much has the same names. I'm going to go with a top 5 new generation Bills list.

FAVORITE

1. Fred Jackson

2. Marcell Dareus

3. Stevie Johnson

4. Kyle Williams

5. Eric Wood

(HONORABLE MENTION)

1. Corey McIntyre

2. Roscoe Parrish

3. Mario Williams

4. Josh Reed

5. Josh Stamer

6. George Wilson

7. Jairus Byrd

8. Scott Chandler (For being the ONLY TE to actually do something in recent years)

9. Nick Barnett

10. Takeo Spikes

11. London Fletcher

12. Terrence McGee

LEAST FAVORITE

1. Willis McGayhee

2. Trent Edwards

3. Demetress Bell

4. Willis McGayhee

5. Aaron Mayhavebeenbutwasn't

6. J.P. Losman

7. Drew Bledsoe

8. Mike Mularkey

9. Willis McGayhee

10. Mike Williams

Favorites...

1. O.J. best I ever saw.

2. Reggie Mckenzie: no one was ever prouder to be a Bill.

3. Earl Edwards: Still remember him chasing Joe Namath all the way to the wall.

4. Jim Kelly: so many thrills.

5. Cornelius Bennett: Never understood what happened to his career.

6. Conrad Dobler: kicked people in the nuts.

7. Kent Hull: Warrior and underrated.

I loved Earl Edwards too… big rangy pass rushing defensive end. He wasn't with the team for very long so I took Sherman White and Ben Williams ahead of him.

Least Favorite:

Matt Stevens - I know it's not right to dislike a backup for not being very good, but he used to drive me crazy and the Bills kept going back to him.

Wow. I had no idea he was in a motorcyle accident and is paralyzed for life

We'd all do well to count our blessings… every day.

Vintage 1975 Bills...many of the TBD favorites are on board for this TD drive:

youtube.com/watch?v=gO2wjqR37rA

Thanks for posting. So many of the guys from that team are now dead.

And I think OJ would have been very prominent in this thread had he not done what he did. As a youngster, he was THE man. Only viewed through the lens of adulthood is he now no longer one of my all-time favorite Bills. Those Saban/OJ teams and the Chuck Knox teams were the teams of my youth.

Dennis Shaw's wife used to teach with my father - for the couple of years they were here.........I actually wondered what you are asking myself and looked it up a few months ago.

I'm not really sure how Shaw won the ROY award. His numbers were not that good. But, I remember thinking Well, hey if he won that then we're going to have a good quarterback. But, then his numbers regressed even more and I think he had a major injury and that was that.........But, I think we traded him for Rashad!

I remember a news story about that mascot… two brothers who made it themselves and convinced the Bills to allow them to roam the sidelines during games. These days the insurance company would probably have something to say about that.

I think Dennis Shaw essentially had one good game, a 34-31 comeback victory over the Jets in which he outdueled Joe Namath. I also remember the next season Shaw showed up dumpy and overweight.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

In no particular order

1. Daryl Talley--the heart and soul of the Super Bowl era teams.

2. Bobby Chandler--too small, too slow. All he did was get open and catch the ball

3. Roland Hooks--all purpose back who had the misfortune of being the best player (IMHO) on some not so great teams.

4. JimBraxton--overshadowed by his backfield mate, but great ball carrier in his own right, but best known as a devastating lead blocker, as well as picking up blitzing LBs like no one before or since.

5. Tom Sestak-- ex Marine who was 27 as a rookie. With more cooperative knees, he would have played longer, and have a little statue in Canton, OH.

Many others came to mind, like Kent Hull, Tony Greene, George Saimes, Robert James, Ben Williams, Ernie Warlick, Max Anderson, Phil Villapiano, Steve Tasker, Marlin Briscoe.

On the other side of the coin, my 5 least favorites:

1. Art Powell--just for being a key figure in the worst trade in team history, sending Lamonica to the Raiders.

2. Travis Henry--serial baby daddy, and criminal.

3. T. O.-- he didn't really do anything to cheese me off as a Bill, but his body of work as an attention whore and prima Donna warrants a spot here.

4. Call this an entry, Aaron Maybin and Tom Ruud. To me, same guy, different eras. First round "need" picks who showed nothing but an uncanny ability to knocked on their butts. I would have included Cousineau if he ever actually played for the Bills.

5. Willis McGahee--did anyone ever leave town in a less classy manner.

Personally I would have put Tony Greene and Robert James higher than honorable mention. Loved those two when they played. They complimented each other in the defensive backfield. Definitely agree with Bobby Chandler. Loved the sideline grabs and the touchdown with just his toes in bounds. So sad when he passed away with cancer. Reggie McKenzie, great O-lineman, part of the Electric Company. (Some prejudice. I personally met Reggie and Tony Greene and they were both gracious to our group.)

Remember seeing O.J. practice as a kid at a local park when he was a rookie. (Yes, it actually happened. They brought the team in on school buses.) Can't disregard his career on the field.

I never really got crazy about Blesdoe. Hard to root for someone who played for the hated Patriots. He started well but ..... Worst #1 draft pick for Buffalo, Walt Patulski, Cousineau second. Quarterbacks not crazy about - several come to mind - Ferragamo, Marangi, Dufek, Johnson and yes, Trent Edwards. A couple hits and Trent was like a deer in headlights (wasn't sold on him even in the beginning).

Edited by manateefan

Favorites

1. Thurman - He made the K-gun go and he was the MVP of SB

2. Jerry Butler - with today's knee surgery outcomes he may have been a great one

3. Hull

4. Ferguson - for the San Diego ankle performancnothingthign else

5. Ted Marchibroda - the architect

Honorable mention: Bruce, Kelly, Lofton, McKenzie, Ted Washington

Least

5. Marv Levy - overrated HC and worst GM in Bills history

4. Talley - I don't know what the love affair is with the 5th or 6th best player on the defense that along with Jeff Wright lost SB XXV3. Henry - nice job falling down against the Pats

2. Bledsoe - how do you let the team lose to Pittsburgh's scrubs

1. Norwood - he missed and I still can't get over it. His miss and McKinley getting shot are probably the two worst moments in Buffalo's history.

Honorable mention: Kelly, McGahee, Donahoe, Reich

Jeff Wright had an outstanding game. I don't know why you'd think different. 7 tackles and 2 TFL one of which was 4th quarter, goal line -4 yard play that help hold the Giants to a field goal and gave the Bills a chance to win it with their own. The Giants did not run the middle with much success. That's the way I remember it.

Favorites

1. Thurman - He made the K-gun go and he was the MVP of SB

2. Jerry Butler - with today's knee surgery outcomes he may have been a great one

3. Hull

4. Ferguson - for the San Diego ankle performancnothingthign else

5. Ted Marchibroda - the architect

Honorable mention: Bruce, Kelly, Lofton, McKenzie, Ted Washington

Least

5. Marv Levy - overrated HC and worst GM in Bills history

4. Talley - I don't know what the love affair is with the 5th or 6th best player on the defense that along with Jeff Wright lost SB XXV

3. Henry - nice job falling down against the Pats

2. Bledsoe - how do you let the team lose to Pittsburgh's scrubs

1. Norwood - he missed and I still can't get over it. His miss and McKinley getting shot are probably the two worst moments in Buffalo's history.

Honorable mention: Kelly, McGahee, Donahoe, Reich

So, you are not really a Bills fan I take it? I realize, favorite vs least favorite is subjective, but your logic, from your explanations, are lost on me. I happen to like all the guys on both of your lists...how Marv Levy and Darryl Talley could merit mention on a least favorite is beyond me...you say Marv was overrated, yet Ted Marchiabroda is "the architect", presumably, of the Bills Super Bowl era offenses? That totally discounts that Macrhiabroda's head coach (the "overrated" Marv Levy) gave TM the green light to allow Jim Kelly to run a non-conventional version of the already non-convetnional no-huddle offense, calling his own plays.

While I will agree that Levy was sub-par (to put it mildly) as a GM, give him credit for realizing, rather quickly, that he wasn't the right man to steer that dysfunctional ship, as a GM, and getting out, before it got worse. To me, Marv Levy is one of the genuinely greatest elements in Buffalo Bills history. One of the rare instances that the owner going on the cheap paid off...the right man, at the right time. Though they lost all 4 Super Bowl appearences under Levy, I don't think there are many men who could have led that team there, that many times, consecutively.

You hear it when those guys talk about Levy, he was almost a father figure to those guys, someone they had the ultimate respect for, and didn't want to let down...all the years, the only player I can ever recall having any issue with Levy was Fred Smerlas...and lets face it, those teams were comprised of some pretty immature men, with big egos. Lesser coaches than Levy would have had a difficult time pulling off what he did, IMO...

Edited by Buftex

Good point about the immense respect the Bills players had for Marv. I remember when he got named GM, Bulldog was talking to I think Glen Parker (it was definitely an offensive lineman of the 90s) and Glen said Tell Marv that if he needs me for anything - sweeping the floors, whatever - to give me a call. I would do anything for that man.

I think his GM type gets a bad rap. I think he was a figurehead who had no real football power (except hiring the head coach, which admittedly he picked the wrong guy). I also think that is why he quit so soon - he said something about all he was doing was writing thank you letters to community groups and such!

He was such a great administrator that I think given the right circumstances, he would have been a great GM.

He taught Polian, Butler, etc. what they knew, not the other way around.