Mariano Rivera, likely done for his career...

I was in great shape. Also I had the Orthopaedic Surgeon for the Tampa Bay Rays do the ACL. So I'd say I had one of the best in the business.

I was just giving my opinon, I hope I'm wrong, as I'm a life long Yankee's fan.

http://www.eatonortho.com/dr-eaton/

I was going to also add the risk/reward of you playing a pickup game vs him as a pro is a different equation

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet most that are saying he will be back are younger than him and Yankee fans. He was very lucky his body hadn't told him it was time to hang it up already.

He has been dominant for so long, has been remarkably durable and in great shape throughout his career. Yeah he is 42 but I still say that if the rehab seems to go ok for him, I really think he will come back for a final season. I do think he was going to retire at the end of this year, but I just can't see him going out like this.

Thinking about it today, I dont know of anyone in major team sports that was obviously the best player at his position as Rivera was.

Mo is certainly very high up on that list, but I'd say Gretzky and Ruth are the top two.

Actually I just saw this!

Mariano Rivera isn't ready for this to be "Exit Sandman."

"I'm coming back," Rivera said. "Write it down, in big letters. I'm not going out like this."

Rivera said that he plans to make a full recovery and pitch for the Yankees again in 2013, when he will be 43 years old.

MLB.com

Thinking about it today, I dont know of anyone in major team sports that was so obviously the best player at his position as Rivera was.

I think a realistic argument can be made that Rivera was the best pitcher of his era 1995-2013, SP or RP.

I think a realistic argument can be made that Rivera was the best pitcher of his era 1995-2013, SP or RP.

Not starting pitching but categorized as a relief pitcher not only the best pitcher of his era put the best relief pitcher of all time. Keep in mind most quality relief pitchers fade out in a couple of years. This makes his dominance even more impressive. I'd put him up their within the greatest Yankee players of all time.

at least not in my/our generation....we had bird/magic/kareem/oj/cal ripken/dale murray/etc.....sure we had dennis eckersley but did we EVER think he would be the standard bearer until Mo came around...but unfortunately, i wasn't around to really take in Wilt, Pete Maravich, Roberto C,. etc wasn't even a zygote for The Mick, Joe D, Jim Brown, Bob Cousey, Jackie R., Satchel Page...

we are lucky to have the media coverage that we have because i am sure the talent was there in the 40's, 50's 60's etc...they just didn't have the exposure

Don't underestimate what we have in Derek Jeter, LeBron J, Kobe B, Bret Farve, etc...we have had our share of historical players and i am sure that they will stand the test of time when generations from now people look back on our sports generation...

Thinking about it today, I dont know of anyone in major team sports that was so obviously the best player at his position as Rivera was.

Probably. Although Jerry Rice at wideout and Magic Johnson at point guard might be very close if not equal.

Been on a fishing trip over the weekend and just now hearin' the news. Shite!

I still remember Torre pulling John Wetteland out of the closer rose. I was a bit annoyed because I thought he was a great closer and Mo was the perfect setup man. Was I ever wrong. Hats off to Mariano for a ton of victories and wonderful memories.

- the Sandman's toolbox[/url].

Not even close man. He is going to go down as the greatest reliever of all time(for production & for longevity) but come on that is a pretty dumb statement.

Just in baseball you have Ruth, who once hit more homeruns in a season then the whole league combined. In basketball, at least from my generation you have Michael Jordan who took the BUlls to five championships. In a football you have jerry Rice & imho the most dominant player in any team sport you have the great one, Wayne Gretsky. How can you not think he was the most dominant player in any team sport? The guy was unstoppable.

Rut Row.

http://espn.go.com/n...ons-not-serious

Another team official, who wouldn't specify Rivera's "complication," told ESPNNewYork.com that the pitcher had not suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in addtion to a torn ACL and damaged meniscus -- a significant revelation because when an athlete tears all three, orthopedic surgeons refer to it as "the terrible triad" -- generally a career-ending injury scenario

Rut Row.

http://espn.go.com/n...ons-not-serious

Another team official, who wouldn't specify Rivera's "complication," told ESPNNewYork.com that the pitcher had not suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in addtion to a torn ACL and damaged meniscus -- a significant revelation because when an athlete tears all three, orthopedic surgeons refer to it as "the terrible triad" -- generally a career-ending injury scenario

So is this good or bad? The team official said he had NOT suffered a torn MCL, right? So this is good?

So is this good or bad? The team official said he had NOT suffered a torn MCL, right? So this is good?

I'm not a doctor, but I would bet on not torn being a good thing.