Jags release Drew Colemen - would be a good pickup for the Bills

The Jags just released Drew Colemen and his $7 million contract. If willing to sign for a reasonable amount, Coleman would be a very good pick up. He is serviceable in pass coverage, but his true skill is in what he brings to the run defense and pass rush. He is a fast player, and a sure tackler. He has a good punch on the ball carrier, and has accumulated 8 forced fumbles in the last two seasons. Approximately a quarter of his blitzes result in sacks.

Coleman was top 10 in the NFL in "stops" in 2010 according to Football Outsiders. "Stops" are defined as "The total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent a successful play by the offense, defined as 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, and 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. In general, "plays" refers to tackles, passes defensed, fumbles forced, or interceptions. The exception is when discussing pass defense data from the FO game charting project, in which case "plays" refers to all charted passes with the given player as the listed defender."

In pass coverage, think of McKelvin. In run defense, think of Antoine Winfield. In pass rush, think a slightly softer Adrian Wilson.

For the right price, the Bills could bring him in to play obvious rushing downs and pass rush situations. But I'm afraid that there will be plenty of teams interested in his services and his price is going to be a little too much for us and what we would use him for.

Edited by dogma+

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To save some people a lookup: Drew Coleman is a CB who played only 1 year with the Jags and the previous 5 with the Jets. Nickle only type player. Seems like a better player than Corner, and better run support, but can't play outside.

I think we're pretty deep at CB right now, and we'll probably have to cut a good player. Well, since I'm rooting for McKelvin to be cut "Good" is in quotes.

The Jags just released Drew Colemen and his $7 million contract. If willing to sign for a reasonable amount, Coleman would be a very good pick up. He is serviceable in pass coverage, but his true skill is in what he brings to the run defense and pass rush. He is a fast player, and a sure tackler. He has a good punch on the ball carrier, and has accumulated 8 forced fumbles in the last two seasons. Approximately a quarter of his blitzes result in sacks.

Coleman was top 10 in the NFL in "stops" in 2010 according to Football Outsiders. "Stops" are defined as "The total number of plays by a defensive player that prevent a successful play by the offense, defined as 45% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, and 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. In general, "plays" refers to tackles, passes defensed, fumbles forced, or interceptions. The exception is when discussing pass defense data from the FO game charting project, in which case "plays" refers to all charted passes with the given player as the listed defender."

In pass coverage, think of McKelvin. In run defense, think of Antoine Winfield. In pass rush, think a slightly softer Adrian Wilson.

For the right price, the Bills could bring him in to play obvious rushing downs and pass rush situations. But I'm afraid that there will be plenty of teams interested in his services and his price is going to be a little too much for us and what we would use him for.

:worthy: :worthy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YES YES YES YES ... let's sign every player who gets cut because of their large contract especially if they had a good season a year or two ago. This is like a dream come true ... winning the lottery ... a chance to not play our guys but to play players other teams felt were not worth the money.

At this time of the year ... before these silly draft picks get into camp it will do a lot for their morale and the team's future to bring in CB's who get cut, defensive ends who get cut, offensive linemen who get cut ... wow ... the pickings are all ours to be had.

I so want to continue the dysfunctional experience of the buffalo bills. What a great post ... what a fantastic idea ... BUDDY GET IT DONE!!! :pirate:

:worthy:

YES YES YES YES ... let's sign every player who gets cut because of their large contract especially if they had a good season a year or two ago. This is like a dream come true ... winning the lottery ... a chance to not play our guys but to play players other teams felt were not worth the money.

At this time of the year ... before these silly draft picks get into camp it will do a lot for their morale and the team's future to bring in CB's who get cut, defensive ends who get cut, offensive linemen who get cut ... wow ... the pickings are all ours to be had.

I so want to continue the dysfunctional experience of the buffalo bills. What a great post ... what a fantastic idea ... BUDDY GET IT DONE!!! :pirate:

Who are you? What are your credentials? How much experience do you have scouting players? What film have you watched of Drew?

Oh whats that? None? You're just assuming that I pulled a name out of a hat and said "hey! lets sign him". Not thinking about the fact that I scouted him coming out of college, and have followed his career. Ive watched his game film. Have you?

Next time you decide to act like a tough guy, perhaps you should try picking on someone who wasn't a professional scout for many years. I've forgotten more about the game of Football than you have ever known.

Who are you? What are your credentials? How much experience do you have scouting players? What film have you watched of Drew?

Oh whats that? None? You're just assuming that I pulled a name out of a hat and said "hey! lets sign him". Not thinking about the fact that I scouted him coming out of college, and have followed his career. Ive watched his game film. Have you?

Next time you decide to act like a tough guy, perhaps you should try picking on someone who wasn't a professional scout for many years. I've forgotten more about the game of Football than you have ever known.

Don't get sensitive. How is he supposed to know your history? Coleman was a good player in the nickle a few years back, but didn't amount to what the Jags expected from him. He may be worth a look, but we have a solid DB group that I know most here would like to see given the opportunity to play in Wanny's system and the expected QB pressure that it, and Mario and Mark, will be bringing this year. Can't argue that he has some qualities that would improve upon what we saw last year, just not sure if he isn't a luxury this year.

Should I put a bunch of bowing smilies under my posts too?

Don't get sensitive. How is he supposed to know your history?

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my assessment or ideas. In fact, I like conversations in which people grow and learn from each others experiences. But his post was not meant in good faith. It was condescending and insulting.

You are right though. Drew would be a luxury. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets re-signed him.

Should I put a bunch of bowing smilies under my posts too?

Look at his post. I copied his condescending smilies.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my assessment or ideas. In fact, I like conversations in which people grow and learn from each others experiences. But his post was not meant in good faith. It was condescending and insulting.

You are right though. Drew would be a luxury. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets re-signed him.

Look at his post. I copied his condescending smilies.

Don't try to reason with them. It's like ordering in Spanish at Del Taco and assuming the kid behind the counter understands you.

Deep breath, brother. Step away from the keyboard now....not that I don't agree with your point but you seem a bit agitated....

Haha ... I just get tired of those who post on the board that we should pick up every team's cut. Players who are cut at this time of year by losing teams usually have baggage.

Thanks for your concern for my well being, I have recovered and am not going near the emoticon button anymore tonight.

In another year, I'd pick him up. This year, though, with the number of first and second-year players at the position (I'm counting Rogers), I think it's more important that Buffalo sees what we have in our crowded group of CBs. Competition is good, yes, but I think it's more likely that a team with a serious need at the position picks Coleman up. We probably wouldn't offer him anything close to what he can get from a more desperate team.

For future reference, if you are going to site a source please also provide a link. Thanks.

BUDDY GET IT DONE!!! :pirate:

I think the correct expression should be "Buddy get 'er done!" when using a pirate emoticon ;p

Don't try to reason with them. It's like ordering in Spanish at Del Taco and assuming the kid behind the counter understands you.

I tried ordering food from a place during a Jax game in Jax. Place was called "DownUnder" restaurant. They had NO idea unserstanding what i was ordering. The Manager had 2 come out & help. He struggled too. I'm showing him my Aussie passport & trying to explain to them that yes, this is how we sound!

BUDDY GET IT DONE!!! :pirate:

I think the correct expression should be "Buddy get 'er done!" when using a pirate emoticon ;p

I tried ordering food from a place during a Jax game in Jax. Place was called "DownUnder" restaurant. They had NO idea unserstanding what i was ordering. The Manager had 2 come out & help. He struggled too. I'm showing him my Aussie passport & trying to explain to them that yes, this is how we sound!

Good on ya, mate.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

In another year, I'd pick him up. This year, though, with the number of first and second-year players at the position (I'm counting Rogers), I think it's more important that Buffalo sees what we have in our crowded group of CBs. Competition is good, yes, but I think it's more likely that a team with a serious need at the position picks Coleman up. We probably wouldn't offer him anything close to what he can get from a more desperate team.

The problem I see is that even with the plethora of 1st and 2nd rounders we have no true blitzing threat from the CB position.

You're right though, another team would most likely out bid us anyway.

The problem I see is that even with the plethora of 1st and 2nd rounders we have no true blitzing threat from the CB position.

The Bills 4th rounder Ron Brooks was apparently a pretty effective blitzer at LSU… so there's hope on that end.

Let's hope Ron Brooks can keep doing that in Buffalo.