So who is Buddy talking about at QB?

eball

Kyle Boller - is he really still around?

Mark Brunell - retired

Rudy Carpenter - ????

Kerry Collins - retired

Jake Delhomme - retired?

Dennis Dixon - ????

AJ Feeley - always thought he was pretty good an deserved a real shot somewhere

Jeff Garcia - too old

Jon Kitna - not bad, can put up numbers. Could be a slight improvement to fitz but he's not going to lead you to the promised land.

Luke McCown - no

Donovan McNabb - should retire

Kevin O'Connell - wasn't he a news anchor in Buffalo?

Curtis Painter - not bad, maybe worth a look. Be cool if he put up better #'s than luck

Chad Pennington - thought he retired

Billy Volek - don't know enough about to comment

Vince Young - all the talent in the world wasted by a pea brain

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I wouldn't mind seeing Volek come in as a FA backup. He's got some game left, and I'd feel better about him coming off the bench than Thigpen. You never know, there may be that San Diego connection...

When asked about the Bills not drafting a QB Buddy had this response:

"We’re going to get one in free agency. We’re going to bring in a quarter back and we think a good one. We were poised to draft one and he just wasn’t there."

My gut is they were going to draft Cousins in the 4th, but Shanny made that ridiculous decision to give RGIII "competition" and snagged him first.

No idea who they might be talking about to bring in.

I posted this in another thread before seeing yours. Potentially important statement from Buddy. Perhaps he is expecting some backups to be cut post-draft ? Someone who Buddy thinks has potential but hasn't been given the opportunity yet ? I don't see anyone on the list of CURRENT FAs who fit that bill. So I am guessing either the above (expected cuts) or trade for one. He said 'good one' else I would have guessed Colt McCoy.

Aaron Corp is awful. Mentioning him in the same sentence with Alex Van Pelt would be ridiculous. He got his shot at USC and failed miserably then transferred. Brady? :lol:

Bradys career at Michigan wasn't all that pretty, they never seemed to want him to start.

Ugh, I really can't stand the idea of going into this season with Tyler Thigpen as our backup again. I keep picturing the time he got boinked in the skull with a football on national television. I keep thinking of the veteran backup who showed me nothing in training camp, nothing in the preseason, and then, when our starter had cracked ribs and played like a dead man; we still didn't put the guy in.

I think we intended on grabbing either Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler, or Russell Wilson in the 4th Round. I think we expected one of those guys to be there and honestly, so did I. I was surprised to see Wilson go in the 3rd and pissed when Washington picked Kirk Cousins so close to our 4th Pick.

Aaron Corp is another arm in camp. That's it. I really don't think he's who Buddy was referring to. Calling Corp "a really good one" is kind of a stretch if you ask me. He played so/so for the Richmond Spiders after flaming out almost immediately at USC. Anything's possible, but I don't think Buddy's pinning our backup QB situation as Tyler Thigpen, Aaron Corp, and/or Brad Smith.

At least, I hope not. I hope that someone surprising gets released between now and the start of camp that can provide us with a little more insurance.

Bradys career at Michigan wasn't all that pretty, they never seemed to want him to start.

Brady is top 5 in pretty much every stat at Michigan. He beat Bama in the Orange Bowl, broke the Orange bowl TD record and was MVP. He also beat Arkansas in the Citrus bowl. He won a Big 10 championship. He went 20-5. He was very good at Michigan.

Corp started 1 game at USC and lost to a bad Washington team. :lol:

Edited by John Cocktosten

Yep. I think if Washington hadn't picked him, Kirk Cousins would have been our first 4th. Now i'm even more pissed about Washington taking him.

I was so mad about that pick. I hope it backfires on the Redskins. Perhaps we get one of those QB's for a 4th in a few years. Would be funny if it was RG3. Way to piss off both your QB's in one draft. Redskins=worst franchise in pro football.

Rex Grossman? He can't be too happy about the Redskin QB situation. He's an ideal backup. Better than Thigpen, or can at least challange. Colt McCoy? He prob wants out also. Dennis Dixon?

I think people need to remember that he's a UDFA. Instead of being so upset about getting this kid, understand that it's basically no risk for us. He looks like he might have decent upside, so why not check him out?

No one wants to think.

I still expect someone here to complain that Brian Brohm never got a chance...

According to NFL.com here are the FA QBs available*:

Kyle Boller

Mark Brunell

Rudy Carpenter

Kerry Collins

Jake Delhomme

Dennis Dixon

AJ Feeley

Jeff Garcia

Jon Kitna

Luke McCown

Donovan McNabb

Kevin O'Connell

Curtis Painter

Chad Pennington

Billy Volek

Vince Young

* I left off JP Losman and Trent Edwards for obvious reasons.

I'd be ok with VY or maybe Kitna, but that is really a wretched list....

When asked about the Bills not drafting a QB Buddy had this response:

"We’re going to get one in free agency. We’re going to bring in a quarter back and we think a good one. We were poised to draft one and he just wasn’t there."

My gut is they were going to draft Cousins in the 4th, but Shanny made that ridiculous decision to give RGIII "competition" and snagged him first.

No idea who they might be talking about to bring in.

Probably BJ Coleman in the 7th, if we didn't panic for Graham we would have gotten him there.

According to NFL.com here are the FA QBs available*:

Kyle Boller

Mark Brunell

Rudy Carpenter

Kerry Collins

Jake Delhomme

Dennis Dixon

AJ Feeley

Jeff Garcia

Jon Kitna

Luke McCown

Donovan McNabb

Kevin O'Connell

Curtis Painter

Chad Pennington

Billy Volek

Vince Young

* I left off JP Losman and Trent Edwards for obvious reasons.

Man - there are a few QB's on that list that I think Chan could turn into something good. Jeff Garcia could outplay Fitz, I'd bet. Billy Volek, Vince Young, Dennis Dixon, and John Kitna are all HUGE upgrades over Thigpen. Either Buffalo doesn't care about it's backup QB position, or they are too afraid to add competition that might actually push Fitz, because it's obvious to anyone watching last year that Thigpen was too poor a QB to even replace a hobbling, ineffective Fitz.

That is the only real negative about this draft - we didn't get a QB, again. That, and we didn't capitalize on the abundance of big, speedy WR's available in the draft.

Hey, we'll all see how it pans out this year. I hope my fears are proved unnecessary, but I'm not sold on Fitz until he proves he can take us to the playoffs, and then he can't be the one to blow the big games, once there.

Didnt the QB who the Packers drafted in the 7th round go to tenn-Chattanooga where Nix once coached back in the 90s? Pretty sure I remember him talking about still having some good contacts there? Maybe he was the guy.

I don't think Nix is the type to take a mid-round QB like Cousins. He seems like a go with a big time prospect kind of guy with regards to the QB.