Good lord, the Pats just keep getting better

The Pats are in desperation mode. Brady is getting older and skittish in the pocket. BB is towards the end. I think they are in win now mode instead of building mode. The pressure is likely on in New England. The Red Sox are terrible and are in rebuild mode. I really think the Pats are in a win now mind set. The never do what they are doing in the draft this year.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats are in desperation mode. Brady is getting older and skittish in the pocket. BB is towards the end. I think they are in win now mode instead of building mode. The pressure is likely on in New England. The Red Sox are terrible and are in rebuild mode. I really think the Pats are in a win now mind set. The never do what they are doing in the draft this year.

The Pats have won 10+ game each season for the last decade ..... they are ALWAYS in win now mode!!!!!!!!!!

NE will trade down in round 2. They must, they only have those 2 picks. I just hope they don't fool some team into trading next year's first.

They may trade down, but no one will give them a 1st rounder in next year's draft.

Huh? The Pats have drafted the most pro bowlers of any team in the league. And don't forget that the Pats traded picks for another couple pro bowlers - Welker and Moss.

As for Jones and Hightower, if one goes by Mike Mayock's grading system (probably top one around) .... the Pats drafted Mayock's top ranked DE (Jones), his 9th ranked player overall, and Mayock's 2nd ranked ILB (Hightower), his 15th ranked player overall.

For comparison sake, Mayock had Gilmore ranked 8th overall.

First point--over what time period on that drafting most Pro Bowl players? Other than hitting on the TE's and Mayo (who I think is a bit overhyped), I haven't been too impressed lately with their drafts. McCourty regressed last year, those 2 RBs they drafted high have done nothing, for ex.

While we like Chandler Jones here as a WNY kid (hopefully you knew that), I as a Syracuse fan am not too sure what people saw in him as a top DE. If you look at his stats, they weren't stellar and came against very weak Big East competition. I think his rankings were more on potential than production, but time will tell....

I liked Chandler Jones until the Pats picked him. :)

While we like Chandler Jones here as a WNY kid (hopefully you knew that), I as a Syracuse fan am not too sure what people saw in him as a top DE. If you look at his stats, they weren't stellar and came against very weak Big East competition. I think his rankings were more on potential than production, but time will tell....

First point--over what time period on that drafting most Pro Bowl players? Other than hitting on the TE's and Mayo (who I think is a bit overhyped), I haven't been too impressed lately with their drafts. McCourty regressed last year, those 2 RBs they drafted high have done nothing, for ex.

Last decade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/browns-worst-in-the-nfl-at-finding-all-pros-in-the-draft/

Drafting is about projecting future production so we always have to take a time will tell approach but, both Jones and Hightower, are tailormade prospects for the Pats defense. That they were very highly rated players on many experts draft board and ended up available for simple trade ups for the Pats, is most fortunate from the Pats perspective.

Not sure about how much better the Pats are, but the Bills should be forming a team that can take on anything that NE tries to develop.

Historically, this has meant that we need to put some pressure on Brady, but with NE TEs and underneath patterns (Welker), watch for the Bills to try to shore up the weak areas that have netted multiple first downs with short passes from Brady (hopefully better pressure on the QB with Mario along with better LB and CB from the bills in 2012).

As important as anything will be the ability to stay healthy - which the Bills have experienced somewhat bad results during the CHINX years.

Just saw this and thought I would post it. The Bilicheat had an interesting draft philosophy. 2 first round trade ups (I wish Hightower would have fallen but anyways) then a super big reach (and we thought Nix was crazy with our 3rd rounder) and a pretty no name guy next, all defense. Then they were all but done except for a 6th and 2 7ths (and one of these picks was arrested not long ago). I love that we had a better draft and offseason so far. Last year I thought we don't really have to improve THAT much to be a better team than them and well, they did make it to the Superbowl.

This is the list of the Patriots draft picks going into the 2012 NFL Draft:

Updated: April 28th, 2012

1st Round (Pick 21) Chandler Jones (DE, Syracuse)

1st Round (Pick 25) Dont’a Hightower (LB, Alabama)

2nd Round (Pick 48) Tavon Wilson (S, Illinois)

3rd Round (Pick 90) Jake Bequette (DE, Arkansas)

6th Round (Pick 197) Nate Ebner (DB, Ohio State)

7th Round (Pick 224) Alfonzo Dennard (CB, Nebraska)

7th Round (Pick 235) Jeremy Ebert (WR, Northwestern)

Picks traded away:

2nd Round – (GB – Trade Down)

3rd Round – (CIN – Trade Up)

4th Round – (DEN – Trade Up)

5th Round – (GB – Trade Down)

7th Round – (KC – Jarrad Page)

7th Round – (via PHI, to MIN – Randy Moss)

6th Round – (PHI – Tracy White)

5th Round – (CIN – Chad Ochocinco)

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/01/2012-patriots-draft-picks.html

To me, the most interesting about the Cheatriettes* draft is that they* went defense on their* first 6 picks.

Belicheat* must be thinking that their* D* is gonna be on the field quite a bit this season...that Marcia* is gonna have a ton of 3-and-out series :beer:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-062463800 1335704462_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Thomas Dimitroff left after the 2007 season.

Scott Pioli left after the 2008 season.

The years preceding 2008 are irrelevant just like the Bills drafts pre-Nix are now irrelevant.

Quit ball washing the Cheatriots***.

If we're gonna talk about great drafts by teams we hate, the discussion starts with the Steelers.

edit: Also to be more effective you should link the primary article: http://www.nepatriot...ted-free-agents

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Last decade.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/browns-worst-in-the-nfl-at-finding-all-pros-in-the-draft/

Drafting is about projecting future production so we always have to take a time will tell approach but, both Jones and Hightower, are tailormade prospects for the Pats defense. That they were very highly rated players on many experts draft board and ended up available for simple trade ups for the Pats, is most fortunate from the Pats perspective.

Only 2 of those guys were drafted after Pioli skipped town. I don't think you can give the current regime too much credit for that.

Last decade.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Pro Bowl picks over the last decade is a ridiculous way to look at their current ability to draft. You do realize that many/most of those Pro Bowlers were drafts ages ago by folks no longer anywhere near the team, right?

Much more relevant is their last 5-6 drafts. Particularly those post-Pioli and post-Dimitroff. Other than hitting in 2010, I'd call their recent drafts pedestrian, and I'm being kind.....

Fellas, I posted relevant stats (ie all pro selections) that counters the argument that the Pats drafts haven't been all that well in the BB era. Clearly they have drafted well ..... enough to have more all pro selections this last decade than any other team in the league.

If you wish to debate who is responsible for adding such players that is a different topic.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

Pro Bowl picks over the last decade is a ridiculous way to look at their current ability to draft. You do realize that many/most of those Pro Bowlers were drafts ages ago by folks no longer anywhere near the team, right?

Much more relevant is their last 5-6 drafts. Particularly those post-Pioli and post-Dimitroff. Other than hitting in 2010, I'd call their recent drafts pedestrian, and I'm being kind.....

Yet, with all of the player turnover the last few years, the Pats were 1 play away from winning this past SB. Something must be going right with the players being added!

Edited by Pneumonic

Fellas, I posted relevant stats (ie all pro selections) that counters the argument that the Pats drafts haven't been all that well in the BB era. Clearly they have drafted well ..... enough to have more all pro selections this last decade than any other team in the league.

If you wish to debate who is responsible for adding such players that is a different topic.

Actually it's the same topic but if you care not to pursue it, that's fine.

The only track record which is relevant at this point is the post Pioli/Dimitroff track record. Drafting Vince Wilfork in 2004 is not relevant to the discussion we were having.

And looking deeply, the Patriots have had several recent epic draft busts. Since the departure of much of their braintrust, high draft picks like Shawn Crable, Terrence Wheatley, Brandon Merriweather, Brandon Tate and Darius Butler aren't even on the team anymore.

All of these guys were either 2nd or 3rd rounders and none of them have succeeded elsewhere. Several more of their higher draft picks are still with the team but disappointing like Ron Brace and Jermaine Cunningham.

Belichick's drafts have been spotty at best.

Kiper gave them a "C" for their draft grade so not everyone is buying into the Pat's hype. They made it to the SB with having to beat only one team with a winning record. Brady is sunsetting and their defense needs a lot more than these two rooks to turn them around.

Edited by Green Lightning

Actually it's the same topic but if you care not to pursue it, that's fine.

The only track record which is relevant at this point is the post Pioli/Dimitroff track record. Drafting Vince Wilfork in 2004 is not relevant to the discussion we were having.

And looking deeply, the Patriots have had several recent epic draft busts. Since the departure of much of their braintrust, high draft picks like Shawn Crable, Terrence Wheatley, Brandon Merriweather, Brandon Tate and Darius Butler aren't even on the team anymore.

All of these guys were either 2nd or 3rd rounders and none of them have succeeded elsewhere. Several more of their higher draft picks are still with the team but disappointing like Ron Brace and Jermaine Cunningham.

Belichick's drafts have been spotty at best.

Again, debating who is responsible for the Pats draft's during BB's tenure here is a different topic.

Debating whether BB's draft's have been better than any other teams is what I am looking at. I have presented evidence (all pro selections) that no other team has been better than BB's. The counter seems to be that BB isn't responsible for adding those players. Please provide proof that this is the case.