Mike Mayock's Mock Draft

SKRAAPY

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, hate those weaknesses:

"The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield. He didn't get up into the line of scrimmage to make powerful, impactful plays much, and won't be relied upon as a pass rusher at the next level, where he'll be strictly a tackling, sideline-to-sideline backer."

Didn't we already have a guy like that who now plays for the Jaguars?

"The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield. He didn't get up into the line of scrimmage to make powerful, impactful plays much, and won't be relied upon as a pass rusher at the next level, where he'll be strictly a tackling, sideline-to-sideline backer."

That's obviously the worry.

My impression is that Keek is more mobile and faster than Poz. He seems like a "high floor" kind of a guy. Someone will end up with a solid to good LB who might be very good. There are worse people to draft.

Mayock has been raving about Keuchley for weeks, calling him one of the ten best players in the draft.

I don't think that the fact that he played on a bad defense should count against a guy who had 6700 tackles the last two years.

Edited by Wagon Circler

Oh I think Kuechly is a MUCH better all around player than Poz coming out...Definitely more instinctive, better at angles, and a million times better cover LB...

That being said, I'm not sure that's saying much...We'll see... B-)

Please note: this is NOT Mayock's analysis. This is an unsigned NFL Network analysis. Better to wait until Mayock gives his in-depth analysis which airs tonight on the NFL Network at 8 Eastern/5 Pacific.

Keuchly has big stats, but he's not a true impact guy like Patrick Willis was. I think Floyd is an impact player. Keuchly, he might be a better Poz that can cover.

Willis could be considered the best draft pick ever:

Grantland Article

Article is a good read.. I recommend it. But anyways, you can't really hold every middle linebacker to Willis' standards. Its unlikely that anyone lives up to that kind of potential. However, I do believe Kuechly will be a very good player and will eventually be top 5 at his position.

Mayock has been raving about Keuchley for weeks, calling him one of the ten best players in the draft.

I don't think that the fact that he played on a bad defense should count against a guy who had 6700 tackles the last two years.

Being one of the tallest munchkins doesn't make you an NBA prospect. Playing on a bad defense and padding your stats doesn't guarantee sucess at the next level, IMO...

What clips I've seen of Keuckley, I came away unimpressed

I kept waiting for that big hit or that impactful play. It never happened.

This is troublesome since it was a HIGHLIGHT film.

We can do better at 10.

If things fall this way then trade down with Dallas for #14 and there 3rd rounder. Dallas is known to be in love with Barron. Kuechly may still be there or possibly Cordy Glenn.

I'm not going to like him any better at 14

Keuchly = Poz 2.0

PTR

IIRC, the Bills liked Poz and tried to keep him. He chose to leave and BTW was paid handsomely by another NFL team that thought he was good. It would not be at all surprising if they also like Keuchly if he does indeed compare favorably to Poz.

Keuchly to me is a half step better than POZ and a step and a half worse than Patrick Willis- with all those tackles It'd be nice to see more tackles for a loss and a couple forced fumbles (zero), he did have a couple ints and is supposedly a good pass defender (I didn't see that too much from what I watched, but won't argue the point)so overall not my favorite pick at ten but I'll take the pick as a glimps of how the Bills really feel about Kevin Shepard.

A little confused.....Overview says "Twelve tackles for loss is a testament to his overall ability and instincts to get in the backfield.", but has a weakness of "The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield." Was this analysis written by two different people? :unsure:

A little confused.....Overview says "Twelve tackles for loss is a testament to his overall ability and instincts to get in the backfield.", but has a weakness of "The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield." Was this analysis written by two different people? :unsure:

Don't get too confused...Mayock went to BC, and absolutely LOVES Kuechly...I think he was just trying to play a little devils advocate seeing as though he's usually praising the kid ad nauseam...And maybe somebody was giving him a hard time about it? B-)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.