Mike Mayock's Mock Draft

SKRAAPY

Starting to think its Barron/Gilmore. Sounds more and more like Kuechly is much better as MLB (mic) than he is on the outside. While Buddy has said he can play all 3 positions, others have said that he wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a strong side linebacker. Interesting situation.

As for the DBs. On one hand, Barron is probably the better player, so if the Bills are drafting by the BPA logic, he gets the nod. On the other hand, Bills are very high Searcy. And in the same way that they're high on Sheppard which discounts their interests in Kuechly, I think their faith in Searcy could mean Gilmore is the pick. I know Byrd is a FA next season, but he's a FA the Bills can and likely will try and keep. McKelvin, McGee and Florence on the other hand will all likely be out the door.

Final opinion? If it comes down to Gilmore/Barron, I think Barron is the guy bc Buddy is going to want the BPA.

I'm hoping Byrd is resigned as he has quietly become one of the better safety's in the league, and I like Searcy but if Barron is as good as claimed it will be hard to pass on him. Maybe the would move one of them to corner as Barron reportedly can cover wide outs as well.

He is not a game changer. He doesn't score TDs, prevent the QB from getting killed, take away WRs or TEs, prevent long scoree or sacks the QB. He stops RBs and tackles on short passes. That is NOT what you want at #10. You want a player that directly puts points on the board or stops points from being scored. That is not what he does.

Other LBs were taken in round #1 which much better pedigrees than his and haven't panned out. He is not a Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, or Urlacher...

Again at 10, you want a player who impacts the game. A pass covering LB who does NOT rush the passer is a blown pick this high....You can get a player later on who can play good zone and tackle....

A WR or CB is much better at this pick, even the SS Barron is a better pick at this position. Never said he isn't a good player, but for what he will be doing for us at 10 - it is a waste. The facts don't lie - high picked LBs NEVER work out...

I hear you and realize that you listened to Bill Polian's interview on GR. I kind of agree, though that a coverage LB won't have a huge impact. However, I think the odds of any of the players available at 10 will have a huge impact are low.

My view, is that if all players were equal, I'd take a good-quality LT. However, I don't think one is available. Next, I'd look to improve the defense. I think that Mario Williams and Mark Anderson improve the pass rush significantly. However, that D was BAD and there were more problems than just the pass rush (though, hopefully fixing that will help A LOT). With the expected improved pass rush, a good DB could improve the turnover ratio. Is there one available? I don't know. I hear mixed opinions on Gilmore and I am not completely sold on Barron, though he is highly rated by everyone I've seen and he has shown that he can make INTs (7 as a soph which led the SEC).

I can't see Kuechly or Barron as a bad pick, unless you can convince me that Glenn or Reiff can for sure start and be a good starter at LT.

If that's the main thing you bring to the table, IMO you've got no business being drafted at #10, especially at a less-than-critical position.

Sure. Now who says a "high motor" is the main thing Kuechly brings to the table? Noone other than you, from what I've seen.

It's A thing he brings to the table.

The main thing he brings to the table is the best cover-skills of any LB prospect in years (or ever, if you believe Mayock).

Edited by BobChalmers

Sure. Now who says a "high motor" is the main thing Kuechly brings to the table? Noone other than you, from what I've seen.

It's A thing he brings to the table.

The main thing he brings to the table is the best cover-skills of any LB prospect in years (or ever, if you believe Mayock).

I may be the only one, but that is what I see, I do not want him at #10. If he ends up coming here, so be it.

You're correct. He'd be starting over Morrison and alongside Barnett and sheppard and would be playing alongside Barnett and Scott in the nickel. Sheppard is not very good in coverage. Kuechly is. He'd be starting and playing 3 downs. What more do you want from a 10th pick. Just because other 1st rd Lbs haven't panned out, doesn't mean kuechly won't. He'd be starting on our team for a minimum of 5 years. He's a very safe pick in a spot we can't afford to swing and miss

Isn't Scott an LB in the nickel w/ another corner on the field? So if he's on the field in nickel either Barnett or Scott are off.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/150251

Mayock has correctly guessed every Bills 1st round pick since Whitner.

Mike must have

He dosen't even look like a 7th rounder against Clemson. In fact, that's the worst game I've ever seen from a supposed premium player.

Sombody tell me I'm wrong...

Edited by Lurker

Mike must have

He dosen't even look like a 7th rounder against Clemson. In fact, that's the worst game I've ever seen from a supposed premium player.

Sombody tell me I'm wrong...

Yeah I saw that game, he had a lot of trouble shedding blocks and really didn't make any plays around the line of scrimmage. Got turned around in coverage a couple times too. That's not the tape of a top 10 prospect...

Man, hate those weaknesses:

"The major knock on Kuechly is that he had a lot of "inflated" tackle production in college: i.e., most of his tackles came five-to-eight yards downfield. He didn't get up into the line of scrimmage to make powerful, impactful plays much, and won't be relied upon as a pass rusher at the next level, where he'll be strictly a tackling, sideline-to-sideline backer."

Saw the same thing when I watched him but with all the passing in the League we need LBs that can cover, Lavonte David may be a better option and he can pack a punch too. I think we can get a poor mans version of Kuechly in Tank Carder who also has a nasty streak in him. I'll be content with Kuechly but he's not my first choice.

Goddammit. Now I'm all confused again about what I want at 10.

First it was Coples. Then Ingram for a long time. Then we signed Mario. Then it was Reiff. Then Tannehill. Then OT Martin. Then I warmed to a cb. Then I luke-warmed to Floyd. Then it started to seem like FLEENER or KUECHLY. Then back to cb. Then back to Kuechly.

Now I'm cooling off on Kuechly. I never wanted him as a star or stud. It was more a BPA pick, which is good enough. In Ch/ix I trust.

Just get me a good NFL player. And get it over with.

Edited by maddenboy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.