Buddy Nix knows talent

Saw this article on NFL.com

I know its a bit early to judge a draft class but this gave me hope

Upon Further Review

Knocked it out of the park: Buffalo Bills. It won't be long before the Bills re-emerge as serious players in the AFC if they keep acquiring productive players through the draft. The team nailed it with the selections of Marcell Dareus, Aaron Williams and Kelvin Shepard during the first three rounds, and also discovered key contributors in Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy and Johnny White. Buddy Nix and Co. need to add another solid class to the roster in 2012 to build upon the momentum, but the Bills appear to have a solid foundation in place with last year's haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82849bc9/article/julio-jones-stays-in-top-10-changes-teams-in-2011-draft-redo?module=HP11_hot_topics

Upon Further Review

Knocked it out of the park: Buffalo Bills. It won't be long before the Bills re-emerge as serious players in the AFC if they keep acquiring productive players through the draft. The team nailed it with the selections of Marcell Dareus, Aaron Williams and Kelvin Shepard during the first three rounds, and also discovered key contributors in Chris Hairston, Da'Norris Searcy and Johnny White. Buddy Nix and Co. need to add another solid class to the roster in 2012 to build upon the momentum, but the Bills appear to have a solid foundation in place with last year's haul.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82849bc9/article/julio-jones-stays-in-top-10-changes-teams-in-2011-draft-redo?module=HP11_hot_topics

It's a stretch to call Johnny White a "key contributor" last year.

The real egregious error in the article was saying that in retrospect, the Bills should have chosen Patrick Peterson instead of Marcel Dareus.

Yeah that confused the heck out of me too. I was under the impression Peterson was a great returner last year but pretty horrible in coverage.

Edited by BillsGuyBackInMalta

I thought that too but none the less, nice to get a little recognition

No disagreement, but it made me wonder why he was lumped in with the others. I don't remember anything that stood out about him. I actually thought he was a good pick after the draft, but he didn't do much as an RB. Still time for him to pan out though.

Upon Further Review

Im not so sure about the 'key contributer Johnny White' He could be off the roster this year. But that Justin Rodgers was a REAL find. I have high expectations from him.

Justin Rogers looks like a great punt returner too, in addition to being decent against smaller receivers in coverage.

Yep, I'd say he should have been on the list over J. White; in fact, I'd even say C. White had a bigger impact.

Def a great draft.

I really don't think we can contribute the 2010 draft all to Nix. He was working with the previous administration's scouting of the previous season and the way they had the board set up. I think this upcoming draft will really demonstrate what he is doing. At least that is my hope. And, I have to say, with a full season to prepare and a real offseason I like what Nix has done in free agency between the players selected, signed and resigned. A couple years back I told my buddy I would not go to another Bills game until Jauron was fired after going to the Bills-Saints game in 09. The Bills made the Saints boring and still lost. Early in the 2011 season I told my buddy that I would go in on his seasons he had. Then after the season I told him I might go back on it if the Bills did not actually do a good faith effort to resign Stevie Johnson. They not only did that, but got Mario Williams. At the very least, Nix is bringing back my Bills hope, which had been shattered by Dick Jauron. I know they haven't won anything yet, but I can at least believe that they will be more entertaining. And really, after tailgaiting all morning, I think we all need that on game day.

Upon Further Review

http://www.nfl.com/n...HP11_hot_topics

But he (former Bill Bucky Brooks) also wrote earlier in the same piece:

The real egregious error in the article was saying that in retrospect, the Bills should have chosen Patrick Peterson instead of Marcel Dareus.

"Dareus has been impressive as a disruptor in the middle of the Bills' defense, but it is hard to ignore the sensational playmaking skills of Peterson. He played well on the island as a rookie and displayed exceptional ability as a punt returner. He earned a Pro Bowl bid with three punt return touchdowns and provided his team with several game-changing plays. In a tough AFC East where points are valued at a premium, the addition of Peterson would've helped them gain a little ground on their division rivals."

Yep, I'd say he should have been on the list over J. White; in fact, I'd even say C. White had a bigger impact.

Def a great draft.

And in fact the Bills are very high on Chris White. And he was awesome as a wedge buster (I know, I know) on kick coverage last year. I hope his career isn't wasted on special teams like the Bills did with Mario Haggan and some other players.

I really don't think we can contribute the 2010 draft all to Nix. He was working with the previous administration's scouting of the previous season and the way they had the board set up. I think this upcoming draft will really demonstrate what he is doing. At least that is my hope. And, I have to say, with a full season to prepare and a real offseason I like what Nix has done in free agency between the players selected, signed and resigned. A couple years back I told my buddy I would not go to another Bills game until Jauron was fired after going to the Bills-Saints game in 09. The Bills made the Saints boring and still lost. Early in the 2011 season I told my buddy that I would go in on his seasons he had. Then after the season I told him I might go back on it if the Bills did not actually do a good faith effort to resign Stevie Johnson. They not only did that, but got Mario Williams. At the very least, Nix is bringing back my Bills hope, which had been shattered by Dick Jauron. I know they haven't won anything yet, but I can at least believe that they will be more entertaining. And really, after tailgaiting all morning, I think we all need that on game day.

I would agree

Buddy made all of the really good picks - just like Dick Jauron made all of the really bad picks and totally ignored Buddy's stellar advice on Maybin.

even the ones that look bad now that are blamed on Modrak, Buddy gets credit if they those players turn it around.

maybe it was aliens, or Dick with mind altering abilities

now if only the Bills will coat their war room in tin foil again this year to keep out htose pesky aliens, then we can expect another strong draft

man- I don;t know what those aliens were thinking in convincing Buddy that Mabin was a real talent

now if only the Bills will coat their war room in tin foil again this year to keep out htose pesky aliens, then we can expect another strong draft

man- I don;t know what those aliens were thinking in convincing Buddy that Mabin was a real talent

You bring this up repeatedly and I've corrected you before.

At the time of "Mabin's" selection, Russ Brandon was the Bills GM.

Dick Jauron was the Head Coach and seemed to have the most clout of anyone in the Bills War Room.

Tom Modrak was Vice President of College Scouting.

Nix was National Scout.

Nix made veiled comments about not drafting players like Maybin.

But according to you, he was on board with the Maybin selection.

Most likely, you're still wrong… again.

It's a stretch to call Johnny White a "key contributor" last year.

Ditto Searcy

Last years draft was as good as the previous years draft was bad

Besides Spiller Buddy's first draft looks pretty bad at this point so he is shooting 50%

Shhhhhh!

The "previous administration's" national chief of scouting was a guy named Buddy Nix. The rest of the sentence makes no sense anyway. Jauron and co. had nothing at all to do with the 2010 draft. Buddy was the one who thought it was an outstanding idea to switch to a 3-4 defense and he set up HIS board accordingly. HE chose Troup (a guy who will now be a backup DT) in the second round.

I agree totally about Nix being a very good talent evaluator, and a very good drafting GM. Firstly, though, it should be said that no GM is going to be right all the time about draft picks. So, saying that Nix was wrong about certain players is not sufficient evidence to suggest he isn't good at what he's doing and done. I think if he were making many more misses, and if his choices were random, and not pointing toward a definite type of team, then you could say he was not doing so good.

However, his drafts have produced players that point to a type of team I'm really excited to see in Buffalo. You can tell Nix wants to see a larger team physically, with a beefier defense, especially the front seven, and insisting on a type of WR set reminding me of San Deigo's - the big, fast, open when you're not types - all point to a PHYSICAL team, one that really plays other teams, that is meant to be dominating, and we're seeing it. Our team, even when losing, has become more competitive. Teams can't just walk through us anymore like they did with Jauron.

I think Nix has a vision of a weather tested team, one that is going to still be standing and strong toward the end of the season. This year I'm predicting playoffs unless Fitz derails the whole team, or QB spot undermines our success. That's a good solid rise from bottom to the upper half of the conference. I'll take it.

I really don't think we can contribute the 2010 draft all to Nix. He was working with the previous administration's scouting of the previous season and the way they had the board set up. I think this upcoming draft will really demonstrate what he is doing.

I mostly agree with this.

Nix was hired as GM on the last day of December, giving him less than 4 months to prepare for the draft.

Modrak was still his Vice President of College Scouting.

Since being hired, Nix has fired John Guy and Tom Modrak.

He has hired Doug Whaley as Director of Player Personnel.

He has hired Chuck Cook as Director of College Scouting.

He has hired Tom Gibbons as Director of Pro Personnel.

He has changed personnel in the scouting department including adding Darrell Moody.

It seems like the Nix administration stumbled out of the gates a bit but seems more recently like they've gained their footing.

The "previous administration's" national chief of scouting was a guy named Buddy Nix. The rest of the sentence makes no sense anyway. Jauron and co. had nothing at all to do with the 2010 draft. Buddy was the one who thought it was an outstanding idea to switch to a 3-4 defense and he set up HIS board accordingly. HE chose Troup (a guy who will now be a backup DT) in the second round.

That's not really true as far as the scouting part goes. He was hired in 01/09 as a National Scout. The Director of College Scouting was Modrak. Brandon was the General Manager who was still involved in the picks, and I'm pretty sure that Jauron made the final call on the picks, especially Maybin, who pretty much the antithesis of everything Buddy likes except speed and major college.

I would imagine it was an equal call on going to the 3-4 at the time between Nix and Chan. If I had to say, I would say Chan had a bigger say in it, and Chan was the one who hired the coaches. Was it a mistake in retrospect? Sure. But we had little talent to play either scheme and George Edwards hiring was a bigger problem and mistake than the scheme change

Troup is really hard to blame him for because of the injuries. We have no idea what kind of player he would become, and he still may be good. The 2010 draft however, still looks lousy overall. If Spiller becomes a star, that will change. But Carrington has been average. Spiller (who I love) hasn't been able to beat out a guy Nix already had on the team. He was unlucky with Troup and Easley. Wang was terrible, Moats and Batten marginal, and the rest washouts.

That's not really true as far as the scouting part goes. He was hired in 01/09 as a National Scout. The Director of College Scouting was Modrak. Brandon was the General Manager who was still involved in the picks, and I'm pretty sure that Jauron made the final call on the picks, especially Maybin, who pretty much the antithesis of everything Buddy likes except speed and major college.

I would imagine it was an equal call on going to the 3-4 at the time between Nix and Chan. If I had to say, I would say Chan had a bigger say in it, and Chan was the one who hired the coaches. Was it a mistake in retrospect? Sure. But we had little talent to play either scheme and George Edwards hiring was a bigger problem and mistake than the scheme change

Troup is really hard to blame him for because of the injuries. We have no idea what kind of player he would become, and he still may be good. The 2010 draft however, still looks lousy overall. If Spiller becomes a star, that will change. But Carrington has been average. Spiller (who I love) hasn't been able to beat out a guy Nix already had on the team. He was unlucky with Troup and Easley. Wang was terrible, Moats and Batten marginal, and the rest washouts.

Doesn't the GM at least ask the HC how he plans to convert to the 3-4? And doens't he ask why on earth George Edwards is the guy to run this new defense? Nix was either totally on board on that decision or he was clueless. Neither is a good answer.

Ditto Searcy

J. White barely saw any playing time at his RB position; whereas, Searcy started several games when Wilson went down, handle and showed he could play, despite rookie mistakes. Hairston, Searcy, and Rogers had to play because of injuries and I'd say they all showed they could play in the NFL, despite making rookie mistakes. J.White couldn't beat out the late season pick up of T. Choice for playing time after FJ's injury.

J. White barely saw any playing time at his RB position; whereas, Searcy started several games when Wilson went down, handle and showed he could play, despite rookie mistakes. Hairston, Searcy, and Rogers had to play because of injuries and I'd say they all showed they could play in the NFL, despite making rookie mistakes. J.White couldn't beat out the late season pick up of T. Choice for playing time after FJ's injury.

Searcy played because he had to, due to injuries, as you say. So, yeah, that means he did play in the NFL. Doesn't say much about whether he can play.. He got burned a lot.

Agreed. Edwards was a terrible choice by both of them.

Which many here said was terrible at the time of hire. Of course some said "Let's see how he does" but first impressions proved right. I think Nolan was available that year, so I didn't understand why we hired a scrub like Edwards who had never been a pro DC before.

Which many here said was terrible at the time of hire. Of course some said "Let's see how he does" but first impressions proved right. I think Nolan was available that year, so I didn't understand why we hired a scrub like Edwards who had never been a pro DC before.

Technically Edwards was a DC with Cleveland.

Still a bad hire by ALL appearances.

I never understood the Edwards hire. There really was nothing in his resume or history that led me to believe he was going to be a good DC except that his linebackers seemed to like him as a coach, which means little. It's very possible, however, that assistant coaches around the league simply turned the Bills down the way head coaches seemed to turn the Bills down. Ralph had his reputation for not hiring or paying coaches a lot of money although he apparently said he would pay for a HC like Shanahan or Cowher. But we really couldn't get a good name guy here.

Chan Gailey was an amazingly uninspiring choice to almost everyone. I was willing to give him a chance but I was not all that enthusiastic about the hire. He won me over pretty quick and now I love the guy and very glad he is our coach but I wasn't on board myself until more than halfway through the 2010 season. The Bills, when Edwards was hired, did not have a lot of talent, especially on defense, had an unproven aging GM, and a retread HC that didn't excite many people. It's quite possible that Gailey reached out to a few other DCs and got rebuffed. He's surely not ever going to make that public.

Still, Edwards looked like a bad choice immediately and he proved to be. But Gailey himself looked like a bad choice immediately, and now I love the guy.

I didn't understand why we hired a scrub like Edwards who had never been a pro DC before.

Chan was hired on January 19, 2010 putting him behind the eight ball in terms of lining up a staff.

Most coaching hires are made around the time of the Senior Bowl (played on January 29th that year) and the cupboard was pretty bare by the time he got around to hiring Edwards on February 4, 2010. Plus, Gailey being out of the NFL in 2009 didn't help with his ability to network for a hot up-and-coming guy...

Still, Edwards looked like a bad choice immediately and he proved to be. But Gailey himself looked like a bad choice immediately, and now I love the guy.

Yup. I never liked the Edwards hire. And my memory could be failing me, but I thought Nolan was available at the time. But like someone said, it's not like Buffalo was (or is) a primo destination. Perhaps Chan couldn't get anyone in here. We'll never know. Thank goodness Wanny has a good track record. And now he has some weapons to play with.

Regarding Gailey, I didn't hate the hire...but I didn't like it. I wanted Marty S. But the thing I did like about Gailey is his prior track record of success on offense...Pittsburgh, making AJ Feely look ok and getting big numbers out of Tyler freakin' Thigpen.

But now we're all singing Kum-Bay-Ah in anticipation of 2012 :D

If I remember right that wasn't really White's fault, he was nicked up as well, a concussion according to the injury report.