Decastro at because no other picks would have his impact

Question #1 - What can the Bills do on the field of play with Decastro at RG that they can't do with Urbik?

Question #2 - Do you Roll the dice on player at a position that can make a difference? Don't play it that safe?

"Scared money, don't make money."

Ans.#1 - Block for the run and pass better than what's his name.

Ans. 2 - You don't "roll the dice" with the 10th overall pick. That's how we got Maybin and his load of potential. You go for the safe pick. Buddy is not operating Vegas East in Buffalo.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watch that video and see hoe technically sound of a blocker that kid is. He can blast open holes for Freddy and Cj as well as pull on screens which we run alot of. I dont want to hear he wont have an impact cause thats bull

I agree. This is the guy to get, or Ingram. Either one will have an instant impact. There is no LT worth drafting at 10. I like Darko (sp) from Florida State in a later round. If he had not gotten injured he'd e a 1st round projection.

But this is exactly how the Bills got themselves into trouble over the last decade. Besides the obvious of being bad evaluators of college talent, the team has drafted in spots where the incumbents were pretty decent and didn't address more pressing needs. DeCastro may be the BPA at No. 10 by far, but the other primary needs OT, CB, WR, LB dwarf the rationale for picking another interior lineman that high up.

Actually, I would argue the Bills got themselves into trouble by reaching for players of need (see Whitner). The Bills took Spiller even though we had two good, but older RB's. Spiller will now be a great player for years to come. Get DeCastro, and then draft a LT later on. The draft is deep in 2nd tier LT's, and WR's. No need to reach. The only other picks I would like to see at 10 are ILB from Boston College, and Ingram from SC.

When was the last time a player that played only guard got into the hall of fame?

Well first of all, you're beginning your case on the premise that DeCastro will play only guard - perhaps a shaky foundation on which to build your argument.

The kid's extremely athletic and can play ANY interior OL position - possibly even OT - though I would not f&%k around with a guy that's gonna be an All Pro RG from day one by shuffling him around (though there ARE teams that are looking at DeCastro as a center).

But let's just answer your question...

Well first of all, you're beginning your case on the premise that DeCastro will play only guard - perhaps a shaky foundation on which to build your argument.

The kid's extremely athletic and can play ANY interior OL position - possibly even OT - though I would not f&%k around with a guy that's gonna be an All Pro RG from day one by shuffling him around (though there ARE teams that are looking at DeCastro as a center).

But let's just answer your question...

And that guy retired in 1991.

None of the guards from 1991 to 2007 have been inducted.

Lets say DeCastro can play all OL positions and will be in the HOF.

Who would you rather have on your team, 3x pro-bowler Will Wolford or Hall of Fame player Bruce Matthews?

With that said, Buddy will not draft a Guard at #10.

Nor should he...This idea that DeCastro would have a bigger impact than other possible picks at #10 is ridiculous...First off he's never played a Down in the NFL...That goes without saying...Secondly, TEAMS win Super Bowls...Not O-Lines, D-Lines, Secondaries...etc...TEAMS...The Bills may be deeper from G to G than any other area...Are Wood, Levitre, Urbik, and Reinehart Pro-Bowlers? Not necessarily (Wood likely is if he plays 16 games)...Are they a solid unit that plays well together and executes well? Absolutely...

The Bills have glaring needs elsewhere...They basically have no #2 WR...They are planning on starting Kirk Morrison at OLB...They need another CB...They need a swing OT for depth minimum, preferably someone to compete with Hairston for the starting LT spot...All these, and a couple more, come before OG...Heck even ex NFL OG Jamie Dukes says he would NEVER take an OG at the top of the Draft...And that's coming from an OG!!! Some positions are WAY tougher to fill...OG is at the bottom of the tough-to-fill list...

It would not be a smart move for any Team to take an OG at #10 IMHO...I just don't think there is that much of a drop-off from a Pro-Bowl OG to a good, or very good one...But especially this year for The Bills...A year that they are trying to move into contention and fill out a winning Roster...It would be a HUGE mistake to waste that #10 overall pick on a lineman that can't play OT...A HUGE mistake... And PLEASE don't give me the Levitre can move out to OT for depth crap...He's not a LT...In emergency OK...But otherwise, not even close...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

And that guy retired in 1991.

None of the guards from 1991 to 2007 have been inducted.

Lets say DeCastro can play all OL positions and will be in the HOF.

Who would you rather have on your team, 3x pro-bowler Will Wolford or Hall of Fame player Bruce Matthews?

Are either Wolford or Matthews draft-eligible this month, and will they be available at the #10 spot?

Are either Wolford or Matthews draft-eligible this month, and will they be available at the #10 spot?

They both also played tackle and moved inside as the careers progressed. The only recent full time G is Randall McDaniel.

They both also played tackle and moved inside as the careers progressed. The only recent full time G is Randall McDaniel.

Well I don't know that he'll be available with our #10 pick either - but there's a pretty good chance DeCastro will. B-)

Alternatively, we need a left tackle really bad - so maybe we should bypass DeCastro and roll the dice on the next Robert Gallery?

Well I don't know that he'll be available with our #10 pick either - but there's a pretty good chance DeCastro will. B-)

Alternatively, we need a left tackle really bad - so maybe we should bypass DeCastro and roll the dice on the next Robert Gallery?

Yes, because the choice of the draftees at No. 10 will only be between DeCastro & Reiff.

Well that's one argument - not without merit - but maybe one that overlooks how thin the Bills quickly became at every OL position last season when Bell, Hairston, Urbik, Levitre, Wood, etc., etc. all missed games to due injury.

Another point of view says that teams improve overall by improving at every position, and that if there's a guy that's a year-one starter and a likely Pro Bowl caliber player for the next 10 seasons, you don't reach for a positional player of lesser talent just to fill a perceived need.

Still another point of view says...

Kraig Urbik - Career Stats

Drafted 2009

Games played-20

Games stated- 12

Pro Bowls - 0

Eric Wood - Career Stats

Drafted 2009

Games played-33

Games stated- 33

Pro Bowls - 0

...that it's a bit short-sighted to think that an All Pro RG like DeCastro doesn't vastly improve both the Bills rushing offense AND pass protection.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

And guess who this is?

Drafted ?

Games played 0

Games started 0

Probowls 0

Drafting any guard is only slightly better than drafting a RB at 10, and the bills interior is pretty good, it's not automatic decastro will be a peranial probowler as guard for the bills.

If the bills were all set at WR, OT, OLB, CB I would be all for decastro.

Irrespective of my opinion Nix only drafts him if he can play tackle.

Senator, thanks for clearing it up for me that DeCastro is a RG who has also played center. This makes him even more intrigueing. Let's say the Bills go this route and draft a couple LT's in rounds 2-4 to compete with Hairston. Imagine how formidable this line could be. Think of the gaping holes being opened for Fredding and CJ. Fitzy would have more time as well. Just imagine the incredible depth.

On the flip side, our line LG to RT currently isn't badly off at all and there are much bigger holes to be filled than upgrading RG.

If DeCastro is the pick I wouldn't complain as long as Buddy drafts 2 LT's. Whoever the pick is must make a difference and be a probowl type talent. I'm tired of the reaching in years past and I'm glad Buddy seems to go for BPA in general. I just don't see him picking DeCastro though, so now I'm still wondering who will be Chixley's man.

Senator, thanks for clearing it up for me that DeCastro is a RG who has also played center. This makes him even more intrigueing. Let's say the Bills go this route and draft a couple LT's in rounds 2-4 to compete with Hairston. Imagine how formidable this line could be. Think of the gaping holes being opened for Fredding and CJ. Fitzy would have more time as well. Just imagine the incredible depth.

On the flip side, our line LG to RT currently isn't badly off at all and there are much bigger holes to be filled than upgrading RG.

If DeCastro is the pick I wouldn't complain as long as Buddy drafts 2 LT's. Whoever the pick is must make a difference and be a probowl type talent. I'm tired of the reaching in years past and I'm glad Buddy seems to go for BPA in general. I just don't see him picking DeCastro though, so now I'm still wondering who will be Chixley's man.

Forgive me, but for the life of me I'll never understand where people get this idea. DeCastro hasn't played center since high school. He red-shirted in 2008, started 13 games at right guard in 2009, started 13 games at right guard in 2010, and started 12 games at guard in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631907

He did snap the ball to Andrew Luck during Stanford's pro day, and by the only account I've seen was pretty lousy in that regard.

http://m.si.com/news/nfl_sports/to_nfl_sports/detail/4767164;jsessionid=17CC3154D4603BEC5CDA7E3936EBD51F.cnnsi1b

I could see, given his footwork and technique, DeCastro eventually playing RT in the NFL, but this center business is unfounded as far as I can tell, and seems to be the result of the rising-in-popularity belief that all interior OL positions are interchangable.

Just my 1 cent.

Forgive me, but for the life of me I'll never understand where people get this idea. DeCastro hasn't played center since high school. He red-shirted in 2008, started 13 games at right guard in 2009, started 13 games at right guard in 2010, and started 12 games at guard in 2011.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631907

He did snap the ball to Andrew Luck during Stanford's pro day, and by the only account I've seen was pretty lousy in that regard.

http://m.si.com/news/nfl_sports/to_nfl_sports/detail/4767164;jsessionid=17CC3154D4603BEC5CDA7E3936EBD51F.cnnsi1b

I could see, given his footwork and technique, DeCastro eventually playing RT in the NFL, but this center business is unfounded as far as I can tell, and seems to be the result of the rising-in-popularity belief that all interior OL positions are interchangable.

Just my 1 cent.

This ^ We got down to our 3rd strng center last year, you cant plan for that. With only 53 slots its impossible. Urbik, Rhinehardt, Levitre and wood are all capable to good starters. I just dont understand how taking a guard at 10 helps us.

Levitre is an emergency starter at LT btw. He needed alot of help and so did Hairston

Was there a problem with the RG position for the Bills last year?

It was stable and if not for a guy like Dicastro possibly there, no need to even bring it up. But with Spiller looking like he may have figured out how to run between the tackles, DiCastro's worth would be huge. He has potential to dominate, and can swing to center if we need to do that yet again.Whats wrong with having some very good depth like Urbuik?