Downtown stadium talk

Off a bit.

Try $150 million...

Or how about a $350,000 loss. :wallbash:

Yes, Indy from a perception point of view made out well with the SB....financially, not even close......and people forget, Lucas Oil Stadium has to be counted as a cost against any income from the SB......but, that would introduce facts into a volatile and myth-based conversation. My bad.

Summing up, the SB is not a moneymaker; tourism in the form of an art/culture, historic landmarks, athletic venues certainly help with an economy......

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah? Which are the local corporations that are waiting to pay bucketloads for a luxury box?

Also, any talk of Buffalo as a SB site under any stadium circumstance is ridiculous. The hotel capacity is completely inadequate.

None of this makes any sense. There is no billion doallrs for a new stadium.

i agree, cannot stand the "pie in the sky" attitude of whatever politician is proposing this. every so often, somebody wants to get some pub, i say ignore it, re-hab the ralph and be done with it! ameneties, whatever, dont give a sh-t, i just want a football venue to continue the buffalo tradition of the elements, etc.

Bring back ""The Rock" Used to sneak in under the fence with a six pack. Sit on the steps at the 50 and everyone had a great time. Couldn't hit the goal post with a snow ball from one end zone. Froze many a sunday. Great war stories. I was on the Responsable Dome Action Comm and a dome was shot down than. All politics. Keep "The Ralph"- keep tailgating and clean it up alittle. Were only talking 7 plus 2 pre games ayear. Oh yea playoffs. And your talking 1 billion. Don't think so.

ya the nfl is slowly trying to move all teams inside then change the rules to flag football or two hand touch

I don't know why but for some reason I just imagined the beginning of the movie baseketball when all the football players are dancing.

I'm pretty sure it was baseketball.... :unsure:

I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but...

I think anyone would have to be out of their f'ing minds to support having a taxpayer funded stadium built.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Bills and hope and pray that they'll always be successful and stay in Buffalo.

However; this talk about a new stadium just seems to me that peoples priorities are way out of whack up there.

I could be incorrect on my assumptions, since I haven't lived in the region for over 20 years, but I thought Western New York was really struggling financially.

Is this not the case?

Don't you think hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayers dollars could be spent on something better??

For those that say that an idea like this would revitalize downtown Buffalo... I just don't see how 8 home games could make this happen.

Go Bills.

:worthy: :worthy: :thumbsup::worthy: I am so with you ... I could not believe the stories this morning.

What an idiot this guy from WUFO news who is pushing the idea.

Let's see ... here are the problems or my reasons to object to any thought of this (And,I will gladly admit that the stadium and the University of Buffalo's new campus both should have been built downtown back in the Seventies but that was then and this is now.).

#1 - Can any one tell me what is wrong with watching a football game at THE RALPH (Other than sitting outside, which is where football should be played anyhow.)? The sight lines are great and I drive to Buffalo from New Jersey to watch the onfield game not to spend time admiring the hallways, go-go girls, video screens in the rest rooms, and other accomodations that these new billion dollar stadiums deliver on. For the seven or eight home games a year I do not need a dome, I want seats that let me see the field, and I want affordable seats that do not require a licensing fee.

#2 - There is NO BETTER stadium in the country for pre-game tailgating than the RALPH. As noted by many players, there is a college atmosphere in Orchard Park that I am pretty sure would be lost if we went to having that downtown stadium.

#3 - Even though I stopped being a taxpayer in New York State years ago (Who knows I may be back ...), there is no way that New York State, the City of Buffalo or Erie County or any combination of these should spend a penny on a new stadium that would also require road improvements and new costs for police on the more crowded Buffalo streets.

#4 - Who are the property owners/politicians who would make money off the deal?

#5 - So, does THE RALPH become a landmark to nothing? The County owns that property and it will become worthless if the Bills move to the City, which again is a loss for taxpayers.

#6 - There is a claim that this would be a multiple use facility for things like concerts, high school sports, etc.. If I remember correctly, I have seen The Who, the Rolling Stones and others at THE RALPH. High school championship football games have been played there. And, even the debut of the NHL's new hit New Year's Day outside was at THE RALPH (would not have been played in a Dome).

I was a season ticket holder when THE RALPH opened in 1972 and now 40 years later I am a season ticket holder. To me it is a great stadium to watch a game in and a fun place to walk around at before the games begin. There is a great history at THE RALPH and when the network cameras come on every Sunday the field looks great, the stadium looks first class and there is nothing to regret not having a stadium like Dallas or New Jersey does ...

:worthy: :worthy: :thumbsup::worthy: I am so with you ... I could not believe the stories this morning.

What an idiot this guy from WUFO news who is pushing the idea.

Let's see ... here are the problems or my reasons to object to any thought of this (And,I will gladly admit that the stadium and the University of Buffalo's new campus both should have been built downtown back in the Seventies but that was then and this is now.).

#1 - Can any one tell me what is wrong with watching a football game at THE RALPH (Other than sitting outside, which is where football should be played anyhow.)? The sight lines are great and I drive to Buffalo from New Jersey to watch the onfield game not to spend time admiring the hallways, go-go girls, video screens in the rest rooms, and other accomodations that these new billion dollar stadiums deliver on. For the seven or eight home games a year I do not need a dome, I want seats that let me see the field, and I want affordable seats that do not require a licensing fee.

#2 - There is NO BETTER stadium in the country for pre-game tailgating than the RALPH. As noted by many players, there is a college atmosphere in Orchard Park that I am pretty sure would be lost if we went to having that downtown stadium.

#3 - Even though I stopped being a taxpayer in New York State years ago (Who knows I may be back ...), there is no way that New York State, the City of Buffalo or Erie County or any combination of these should spend a penny on a new stadium that would also require road improvements and new costs for police on the more crowded Buffalo streets.

#4 - Who are the property owners/politicians who would make money off the deal?

#5 - So, does THE RALPH become a landmark to nothing? The County owns that property and it will become worthless if the Bills move to the City, which again is a loss for taxpayers.

#6 - There is a claim that this would be a multiple use facility for things like concerts, high school sports, etc.. If I remember correctly, I have seen The Who, the Rolling Stones and others at THE RALPH. High school championship football games have been played there. And, even the debut of the NHL's new hit New Year's Day outside was at THE RALPH (would not have been played in a Dome).

I was a season ticket holder when THE RALPH opened in 1972 and now 40 years later I am a season ticket holder. To me it is a great stadium to watch a game in and a fun place to walk around at before the games begin. There is a great history at THE RALPH and when the network cameras come on every Sunday the field looks great, the stadium looks first class and there is nothing to regret not having a stadium like Dallas or New Jersey does ...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

And if it's not a dome you are wasting your money. No one wants to freeze or get rained on watching a game.

I do. Football is meant to be played outside, in the elements.If that means I have to be outside in the elements to see a game live, so be it. I've been outside all day in some pretty nasty weather, both at Bills games and doing other things,and I can't recall ever being uncomfortably cold and/or wet, so long as I was dressed appropriately for the weather conditions. If you under-dress, yes that is going to suck,but it's your own fault. People who live in Western New York should have plenty of cold weather gear, especially those who enjoy outdoor activities in the winter time, like attending Bills games.

This proposal from the same folks that want to move the ECCC to downtown. Lots of reasons not to go downtown....many discussed here. Refurb on the the Ralph makes the most sense, its not as nice as modern stadiums, but its still pretty good overall. I remember War Memorial Stadium, of course, so my standards are lower than you younger fans.

Please, give us an open air stadium with natural grass - and mud old style AFL/NFL. Imagine watching a game in December with playoff implications; in the snow and the mud. It makes me cry! Come on, get away from the domed game, football is an outdoor game.[/b]

A Staduim downtown is a nice thought but where would the money come from??

This wont happen until new ownership. And the owner better be a rich Arab( no offense :rolleyes: )or a Billionaire who has the funds to build the staduim WITHOUT taxpayer money.

Ask this county to build a new Ralph is like asking them to legalize weed. Not gonna happen anytime soon ....

They could call it Bass Pro Field at Signature Peace Bridge Stadium.

In the Adelphia Corporate Park?

Great ideas.

People could then ride the "Subway to Nowhere" which was supposed to link the city with that university campus they ended up building on a swamp

Shhhhh! I told you to keep quiet about that!

Dude.

Your shtick is priceless.

I almost want to register on some other team's fan site just so I can be Roger Goodell.

Most people on this forum I would expect to be against a dome. But I think the majority of the people that go to games would prefer a closed roof during the winter at least.

I think a dome would also help sell tickets to the late season games that always, even in the 90's when the team was good, had trouble selling out.

Personally, I would prefer not to be in the rain and snow during any sporting event.

People tend to over exaggerate the wonderful ambience and atmosphere of RWS. Sure it's a lot of fun tailgating there and we had some great memories especially in the Kelly era. However the outdoor elements have provided zero advantage in the past decade. Better talent wins folks. I'd love a retractable dome downtown. Not just 9 or 10 NFL football games a year but they could use it for many more events... Concerts, college/high school football, bid for NCAA tourney regionals, conventions, etc.. It would be a great jewel along Buffalo's downtown waterfront.

Also, for us 40+ fans, the indoor stadium experience is a better family experience. Less fights and rowdiness imo. Go to any indoor stadium and you'll see. For some reason the outdoor elements inspires people to be drunk jerks. You don't see too many brawls in the stands at Sabres games.. Football indoors isn't much different.

Edited by zow2

The two biggest mistakes made in Buffalo in my lifetime were the decision to build the main UB campus in Amherst instead of downtown on the tnen vacant waterfront, and the failure to build the Bills stadium in Cheektowaga as a domed stadium. That being said, the ships have long left the dock, and it is way too late to rectify either situation. Fix the Ralph and move on.