Nice (Bills related) article on the Wildcat/Option

Interesting stuff. I personally believe all of it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827f6b73/article/option-or-wildcat-whatever-its-called-nfl-offenses-evolving

Gailey wanted to run a lot more of it last year, including Smith throwing more but didnt get the chances he wanted. It will play a significant role this year I think, especially with David Lee adding his expertise, albeit his strength was in the two RB running version. If they can combine the two, especially with Smith's abilities, it could be fun as a change-up the way Chan envisioned it, and likely the major reason they convinced Smith to sign.

Cool article, thanks for posting, Kelly. Provides some good perspective on how the game is evolving, and why.

I loved watching Newton and Tebow in college, and am glad to see they can find a place in the NFL. Im not a huge fan of that type of offense, but I do prefer it to the Brady-esque "QB stands in the pocket like a turret and throws the ball, can't hit him, no physicality" offense.

Great article.

I like how the NFL is evolving. Diversity in strategy makes a more exciting game. I hope we can actually use Brad Smith is an effective way next season.

This is exactly why I prefer college football to the NFL. For the last decade or so, every NFL team basically does the same 1 or 2 things on Offense and Defense. There may be "gimmicky" systems in college football, but at least it makes it interesting.

I too am happy to see the diversity leaking into the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827f6b73/article/option-or-wildcat-whatever-its-called-nfl-offenses-evolving

Gailey wanted to run a lot more of it last year, including Smith throwing more but didnt get the chances he wanted. It will play a significant role this year I think, especially with David Lee adding his expertise, albeit his strength was in the two RB running version. If they can combine the two, especially with Smith's abilities, it could be fun as a change-up the way Chan envisioned it, and likely the major reason they convinced Smith to sign.

Smith can run it alright, it's just that as we all know their was no training before camp last year leaving them up a tree for new ideas.

I'm hoping David Lee's "WildBill" has FJ taking the snaps with Spiller in the backfield and Brad Smith split out wide. Put Smith in motion so FJ is essentially the QB in a triple option.

The possibilities are endless: FJ keeps it. FJ hands off to Spiller. FJ pitches/hands off to Smith. If Smith gets the ball on the end-around he also has the option to pass. And we all know FJ can throw it too:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81433126/WK-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Wildbill

I'm hoping David Lee's "WildBill" has FJ taking the snaps with Spiller in the backfield and Brad Smith split out wide. Put Smith in motion so FJ is essentially the QB in a triple option.

The possibilities are endless: FJ keeps it. FJ hands off to Spiller. FJ pitches/hands off to Smith. If Smith gets the ball on the end-around he also has the option to pass. And we all know FJ can throw it too:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d81433126/WK-10-Can-t-Miss-Play-Wildbill

The most effective use of the personnel would be to have Brad starting opposite Stevie. That way there's no tell when gets on the field, because he's always out there. He's shown he can play WR, and should only be better after having gotten to know the play book and getting experience in the offense (he only got it on the first day of camo, and couldn't practice with the team until a week of camp had passed).

They just need a QB who can run the option and throw the ball, which is why they should have drafted/traded for Tebow. Hopefully they can get one an option Passer in the draft, RG3 and T-Hill would be ideal but that's not happening, maybe Russell Wilson.

This is exactly why I prefer college football to the NFL. For the last decade or so, every NFL team basically does the same 1 or 2 things on Offense and Defense. There may be "gimmicky" systems in college football, but at least it makes it interesting.

I too am happy to see the diversity leaking into the NFL.

Always liked Rich Rods version of the spread which had a ton of running and used the Fullback for blocking, running and receiving.

Put Fitz out wide that way the D doesn't isn't ready for it.

I hope the use it a lot more and throw out of it.. Running everytime is too predictable... But this article has me excited... GO BILLS!!

They just need a QB who can run the option and throw the ball, which is why they should have drafted/traded for Tebow. Hopefully they can get one an option Passer in the draft, RG3 and T-Hill would be ideal but that's not happening, maybe Russell Wilson.

Love Wilson in the 4th and these are the type of packages which he could make an immediate impact.

Always liked Rich Rods version of the spread which had a ton of running and used the Fullback for blocking, running and receiving.

Put Fitz out wide that way the D doesn't isn't ready for it.

We did this repeatedly in our "wildcat" set last season and it failed repeatedly.

"Option offense" is not going to make an impact, I don't think. The examples they use in that article are basically Newton and Tebow. No other (successful) offense is running a wildcat with any regularity. It's what you do when your QB has a special skill set/limitation.

Love the comment at the bottom: "Tebow is a wildcat brick thrower." :lol:

Good article, though. Really happy we have a guy like Gailey who embraces the cutting edge rather than stubbornly resisting it.

I don't know, I liked the "slash" thing he did in Pitt, but I have problems with coach and his philosophy on this (and it was only mildly successful to be honest, even the Thiggy thing in KC same story). I am not a big fan of the way we ran it last year. I could see us tweaking it and doing it more. I am not entirely sure it is the right thing to do 11 on 11 or not. To me the numbers are important but every offense has to double on someone most plays anyway. The talent is important which is why I hope we don't take the ball out of CJ, FJ and SJs hands too much, we had some explosiveness on offense and it was pretty conventional. Our line men are better run blockers from what I have seen of them.

I do think it creates time for Oline men to finish run blocks (which is what was good about Smith running it on short yardage last year).

The advantages in football are mismatches and surprises, bringing new personnel for a play takes away from the surprise. An effective counter to having Fitz standing out wide, is to just go label the guy. Then it is a broken play and D has 10-9 advantage. Running in college is different than in the pros, pros tackle much better and generally don't over-commit as much.

I like a 2 TE spread better and think that Belichick* is ahead of the curve tweaking the Kgun and running it in NE*. It is better in the NFL to use the big fast guys on offense, who can catch and run. Which takes more skill, throw and run or catch and run? I think catch and run is more common. Which is why I would seriously consider drafting Coby Fleener. He also fills the need of #2 WR if you look at it that way.

???? Really? Tebow can throw the ball?