The USA is stingy

Pete

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, 2 rules:

Rule #1:

Don't give these clowns fuel to add to their phuktard thinking... They will kill you with simple dick reasoning. (ie: European backpacking trip)

Rule #2;

See rule #1.

Happy New Year!

:pirate:

186858[/snapback]

I could give a flying !@#$ what these brainiacs think about me. Anyways the USA upped their offer to $350 million! Way to go USA! Japan just upped their original $30 million pledge to $500 million. Like I stated in the original post Japan is truly a benevolent nation.

Happy New Year to you Exile! I hope you and your family have a great one!

I could give a flying !@#$ what these brainiacs think about me. Anyways the USA upped their offer to $350 million!  Way to go USA!  Japan just upped their original $30 million pledge to $500 million.  Like I stated in the original post Japan is truly a benevolent nation.

Happy New Year to you Exile!  I hope you and your family have a great one!

186901[/snapback]

You haven't ever been to Japan. Japan is a very racist nation who could give a sh-- about anyone else. Go to Japan sometime they have signs in bars that restrict it to Japanese only. No Americans, Chinese, etc... had better try or the JP's will throw you in jail. Hell in Okinawa, a territory of Japan, they have Japanese only bars and the Okinawans aren't allowed in.

They couldn't care if all Indians, Sri Lakans and everyone else died. They would just claim the deserted land as their own.

This is how their government and 100% of their people think.

You really lost a lot of credibility claiming Japan as benevolent.

You haven't ever been to Japan.  Japan is a very racist nation who could give a sh-- about anyone else.  Go to Japan sometime they have signs in bars that restrict it to Japanese only.  No Americans, Chinese, etc... had better try or the JP's will throw you in jail.  Hell in Okinawa, a territory of Japan, they have Japanese only bars and the Okinawans aren't allowed in. 

They couldn't care if all Indians, Sri Lakans and everyone else died.  They would just claim the deserted land as their own. 

This is how their government and 100% of their people think. 

You really lost a lot of credibility claiming Japan as benevolent.

186909[/snapback]

"They couldn't care if all Indians, Sri Lakans and everyone else died. They would just claim the deserted land as their own.

This is how their government and 100% of their people think. "

If this is how their government and 100% of their people think, then why exactly are they donating $500 million? Don't you think "100%" might be overstating things somewhat?

"They couldn't care if all Indians, Sri Lakans and everyone else died.  They would just claim the deserted land as their own. 

This is how their government and 100% of their people think.  "

If this is how their government and 100% of their people think, then why exactly are they donating $500 million? Don't you think "100%" might be overstating things somewhat?

186939[/snapback]

I guarentee they are doing it for some monetary / land lease or some other deal, once all is said or done. I have a lot of respect for Japanese and have several Japanese friends. But they make no bones about their upbringing, attitude, and purpose. If you haven't lived there you really wouldn't understand. They are a people who really act and speak of one mind.

With over $350 Million donated from the U.S. Govt, a large military presense headed to the region to offer support, and a ton of non-government relief headed to the victims, its safe to say that the U.S. has kicked in a fair share towards the effort. More is always good. And there will be more. But "we" have done our part, as has a lot of other nations. Everyone helps, everyone pitches in. Some give more money, some send troops for security, some send materials, some will ofer long-term aid. It all helps the cause. Its time to stop "counting dollars". This is not a race to see which country is the most generous or some kind of game to "beat" other nations.

i'm surprised at the bush haters reaction over the tsunami. sure, it doesn't surprise me that they've found something complain about in the amount he pledged.

but i'm really surprised nobody has tried to blame the tsuami itself on bush

Flightsuit!

Haliburton!

i'm surprised at the bush haters reaction over the tsunami.  sure, it doesn't surprise me that they've found something complain about in the amount he pledged.

Flightsuit!

Haliburton!

187026[/snapback]

No one has done that here (thankfully), but you can find those people on the internet with ease.

i'm surprised at the bush haters reaction over the tsunami.  sure, it doesn't surprise me that they've found something complain about in the amount he pledged.

Flightsuit!

Haliburton!

187026[/snapback]

If you assume there is no level of human tragedy that cannot be used as an opportunity to jab at political opponents you will never be disappointed.

I also find brief refrains from bile-spewing about particular politicians to highlight how charitable the post author is to be less than convincing.

True charity is expressed in more than a monetary contribution to a particular cause. Happy New Year.

With over $350 Million donated from the U.S. Govt, a large military presense headed to the region to offer support, and a ton of non-government relief headed to the victims, its safe to say that the U.S. has kicked in a fair share towards the effort. More is always good. And there will be more. But "we" have done our part, as has a lot of other nations. Everyone helps, everyone pitches in. Some give more money, some send troops for security, some send materials, some will ofer long-term aid. It all helps the cause. Its time to stop "counting dollars". This is not a race to see which country is the most generous or some kind of game to "beat" other nations.

186998[/snapback]

But really...counting dollars is the American Way. It's been a long-standing community delusion that any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it...and thus, conversely, if you don't throw enough money at it, you're not solving it, no matter what else you throw at it.

And part of it, too, is that your typical American has no idea how the world works, in that if something isn't accomplished in the time frame of your average movie, somebody must have !@#$ed up for it to be taking so long. People seem to think that if Sri Lanka needs aid, Scotty should just be able to beam it over...instead of loading some ships with food and clothing and sailing them on a two week voyage halfway around the world, at which point you have to figure out who needs what and how to get it to them over a shattered infrastructure.

But really...counting dollars is the American Way.  It's been a long-standing community delusion that any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it...and thus, conversely, if you don't throw enough money at it, you're not solving it, no matter what else you throw at it. 

And part of it, too, is that your typical American has no idea how the world works, in that if something isn't accomplished in the time frame of your average movie, somebody must have !@#$ed up for it to be taking so long.  People seem to think that if Sri Lanka needs aid, Scotty should just be able to beam it over...instead of loading some ships with food and clothing and sailing them on a two week voyage halfway around the world, at which point you have to figure out who needs what and how to get it to them over a shattered infrastructure.

187128[/snapback]

What we don't have supersonic c5's just waiting on runways loaded with fresh water, food, and medicine to go at a moments notice. I means those things probably carry enough supply to feed a country the size of India for at least a month. And we'll just start dumping the food with parachutes out tyhe back and it will land in every village. :pirate:

But really...counting dollars is the American Way.  It's been a long-standing community delusion that any problem can be solved if you throw enough money at it...and thus, conversely, if you don't throw enough money at it, you're not solving it, no matter what else you throw at it. 

And part of it, too, is that your typical American has no idea how the world works, in that if something isn't accomplished in the time frame of your average movie, somebody must have !@#$ed up for it to be taking so long.  People seem to think that if Sri Lanka needs aid, Scotty should just be able to beam it over...instead of loading some ships with food and clothing and sailing them on a two week voyage halfway around the world, at which point you have to figure out who needs what and how to get it to them over a shattered infrastructure.

187128[/snapback]

That reminds me of the old routine Sam Kinison used to do in talking about the starving people in Africa - relief workers would freak out because there were tons of goods donated, sitting around and eventually spoiling. Why? Wll, you have to get the people to where the food is if you can't get the food to the people. Sometimes you have to work hard to find them, and sometimes they have to find you.

Donating money is the easy part. Coordinating the actual acquisition of the supplies and the ongoing logistics of getting the right supplies to where they're needed when they're needed is the hard part. I am sure it's already happening - people who need food are going to receive clothing and vice versa.

You can pre-plan till the cows come home but this is something never before experienced in terms of the scope - it hit what, 9 countries on two continents? Probably the best able to manage this type of crises are the Indians because they have experienced so many flooding disasters ...

WE are horrible, because we didn't immediately shower them with billions. It takes time to put something like that together!!!!

We only came up with a few paltry million dollars TO START OUT WITH!- we are horrible people.

I could give a flying !@#$ what these brainiacs think about me. Anyways the USA upped their offer to $350 million!  Way to go USA!  Japan just upped their original $30 million pledge to $500 million.  Like I stated in the original post Japan is truly a benevolent nation.

Happy New Year to you Exile!  I hope you and your family have a great one!

186901[/snapback]

Welp, the USA shelled out tons of cash, problem solved. Time to start backpacking and go back to not having a care in the world.

Does Japan even have a military anymore by the way?

Flightsuit!

Haliburton!

187026[/snapback]

Wont somebody PLEASE think of the Kyoto Protocols? Its all Bush's fault! If he had signed them, the earthquake wouldnt have happened!

-the FAR left.

No doubt the USA will pump in alot more then $15 million- expotentially more.  My problem was with the way it was handled to begin with.  President Bush should of spoke within 24 hours of the tragedy.  The President could of said something to the effect of "heres an initial $15 million donation.  More is on the way.  Troops are on the way.  The USA always helps out our friends in need".  Instead it looks like our hand is forced by that UN comment.  I like the way Powell and Bush have responded to the "stingy" criticisms though.  The USA should always lead the world in humanitarian aid IMO.

185520[/snapback]

Pete,

The U.S. does lead the world in dollars donated for humanitarian aide. The numbers you are quoting are dollars directly allocated by the government. What it doesn't take into account is money donated by private parties (i.e. your contribution to the Red Cross). We as Americans are generally suspicious of our government (especially wealthy Americans) compared to other countries, so a large percentage of donations by the U.S. goes unreported in the figures you quote. I don't have time right now (at work) to find links for you, but will provide later.

We as Americans are generally suspicious of our government (especially wealthy Americans) compared to other countries, so a large percentage of donations by the U.S. goes unreported in the figures you quote.

192648[/snapback]

As we should be. Governments and the UN generally bring you things like "Oil for Food" which Kofy Annan is STILL trumpeting as a success with "some" missappropriation. AMAZING.

You want to help, give to the Red Cross. They do it right every time.