The USA is stingy

Pete

Wow.  Except for the sports references, that's almost a direct quote of the UN's official statement today.

It also ignores that there's currently a carrier battle group and an amphibious battle group headed into the Bengal Sea for relief work...not only is that more of a presence than any nation on earth could muster into the region, do you have any idea how much operations like that cost? 

For that matter...how much should the US give?  What's a fair amount of money to give to the region that can be absorbed by the local economies and used for relief efforts rather than get wasted?  I'll bet you haven't the slightest idea.

182629[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity, what kind of help can a carrier battle group give in this kind of a disaster? I am sure they can do something but I don't know what. Rescues at sea maybe? Air searches?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, what kind of help can a carrier battle group give in this kind of a disaster?  I am sure they can do something but I don't know what.  Rescues at sea maybe?  Air searches?

182861[/snapback]

That, and I imagine a carrier has enough of a medical staff to do quite a bit of good. It's not exactly a hospital ship...but it's got to have a fair number of beds and doctors. Although, in this kind of situation, you're pretty much either okay or a corpse...tsunami don't leave a lot of injured.

Another thing I just thought of...the coastal transportation network must be totally wrecked. The carrier's heilcopters can come in handy for that.

Go ahead y'all and keep putting words in my mouth and distorting my beleifs.  Selfish?  You can say whatever about me but that is one word that cannot be used to describe me.  How do you know the lengths I go for people?  You know jackshit about me so quit being so presumtuious. 

You are the one who stated that you could only give $100 because you were saving your money for your trip to Europe, while at the same time complaining that others are not giving enough, even asking Darin how much he gave (expecting to rip him for not giving enough). I am using your words. Sorry if they make you look, well, selfish.

I spoke my opinion which I beleive strongly.  We do have freedom of speech in this country- I was exercising it. 

So was I. Too bad you do not allow others the same rights you give yourself.

Keep trying.

Go ahead y'all and keep putting words in my mouth and distorting my beleifs.  Selfish?  You can say whatever about me but that is one word that cannot be used to describe me.  How do you know the lengths I go for people?  You know jackshit about me so quit being so presumtuious.  I spoke my opinion which I beleive strongly.  We do have freedom of speech in this country- I was exercising it.  Anyways I pay my taxes so I do have a right to say where I wish my tax money to be spent.  I use my representatives but I also use my voice.  I give after tax dollars to charity as well.  Fug you for accusing me of being a hypocrite.  I travel and like to see the world.  If anything I am a great ambassador for the US.  I dont spew hate from a keyboard-I embrace other cultures and love to hang out with locals.  Democrat?  HAHA That is almost as laughable as your "selfish" quip.  I hate both partys but particularily have disdain for the democratic party.  I didnt realize being moral and benevolent and being concerned for those that have suffered were qualitys exclusive to the democratic party

182834[/snapback]

Ah, so it's OK for YOU to thrust YOUR beliefs of an entire country based on a snippet or 2 of information but you don't like it much when the same is done back to you as an individual? Shocking. ;)

You are the one who stated that you could only give $100 because you were saving your money for your trip to Europe, while at the same time complaining that others are not giving enough, even asking Darin how much he gave (expecting to rip him for not giving enough). I am using your words. Sorry if they make you look, well, selfish.

Keep trying.

182884[/snapback]

For the record-

(Alaska Darin @ Dec 28 2004, 03:26 PM)

How much did you give?

I give $100 to the Red Cross every year. I do plan on giving more. I am backpacking Europe for 6 weeks in Feb so I need to budget. I will figure out where I am at and give more

I see nothing in my statement that says all I could give is $100, nor do I see anywhere in that statement that would lead you to imply that I am selfish. Please find anywhere in this thread where I accused people of not giving enough. My grievence is with our foreign policy. BTW KRC- Did you know the dollar is at an alltime low- the euro is kicking the sh-- out of it!

WTF? Darin asked me how much I gave and I said I give $100 every year to the Red Cross and planned on giving more. I give to other charitys too btw. Then you get pissed when I asked the same question to Darin? Then you assume I am gonna rip Darin. I merely asked him the same question he asked me. He stated it should be up to the individual not the government. I never complained that anyone did not give enough, I said it is disturbing to me how my tax dollars are being spent. I already have my eurorail pass, my airline ticket and I have planned this trip for two years. I will be gone 6 weeks and need to budget accordingly. Reading comphrehension anyone?

Then there was this gem-

in respsponse to me stating:

I spoke my opinion which I beleive strongly. We do have freedom of speech in this country- I was exercising it.

Please explain to me how I suppressed freedom of speech in this thread? I asked for intelligent responses. This is getting ridiculous. An exchange of ideas-thats what I am looking for

Lets present the crux of my argument that you are trying to distort-

The United States, the world's largest economy, contributes about 0.13% a year of its GDP to foreign aid.  That is stingy in my book!

182948[/snapback]

Good. We should eliminate that last little piece and give zero. That'll eliminate the corruption and graft that is so rampant with these "programs".

This may be the first time anyone ever accused the Federal Government of being stingy, though.

All COCOMS have something called a "Security Cooperation" Plan. Probably one of the most important plans in each arsenal, as one has to CONSTANTLY shape the environment one is operating in.

Relief efforts fall into the realm of Consequence Management. Every Combatant Command has a Consequence Management annex to every plan they own. It's known under JOPES as Annex T.

Disaster relief is part of consequence management. Inside the US, consequence management is the realm of FEMA. Overseas, it's the realm of the State Department. It's called "Lead Federal Agency". They are a coordinator and integrator.

In real terms, State, as the lead FCM agency, is requesting immediate support from the DoD to help mitigate where they can, essentially direct to both CENTCOM and PACOM. The DoD is then taking the lead in getting the initial relief effort set up.

This initially, comes out of Defense dollars. Follow on will come out of State. It will far surpass $15 million. Budgetary reimbursements/ re-allocation of contingency funds will come later.

That's why I hate "the News"

The Scandinavian countrys have a higher standard of living then the USA.  Why do they dislike the US so much?

???  I dont follow

How is this applicable to say Sweden?

My question is looking for cause and effect.  The root cause why anti-Americanism is growing is our foreign policy

182749[/snapback]

Why do you keep saying all of the world hates us, and then keep referring to Sweden. WTF cares what Sweden thinks? Secondly, just because some citizens are vocal doesn't mean they hate us. There is always the vocal 10%. Do you think Japan hates us? I have been there. The Japanese respect us and are involved in a lot of our coalitions, but they hate us down to their bones. Okinawa which is under Japanese control, like us however. They hate the Japanese with all their heart. Of course unless you know the politics, the people and the circumstances you would never know this.

Korea, love us. We helped them kick start their economy. They are living off that. Of course I can show you demostrations and people there that hate us, but that is not the majority.

Russians? I have several very, very good Russian friends, some of which served in their Army during the Afghan wars, and cold war. These guys absolutely adore us as a country. They know they are going through some hard times, but they love as a majority the Americans.

So what some of the more liberal countries have issues with us, like France, Germany, etc... Of course if you knew what you where talking about, you would realize it isn't true. They are our allies in NATO, which had to be ratified and shows that they are close and sincere allies of ours. Doesn't mean they have to agree with us always. What friends do you have that agree with everything you say? If you have any I would get rid of them. They are not your friends.

You need to do yourself a favor and understand world politics a little better. What one country says or does to appease their more outspoken citizens, isn't always what is reality.

Take our election this year, if you listened to the media and exist polls, Kerry should have won by 20 points. Yet he lost by a fair margin. Guess what, the vocal and outspoken that the media shows is usually not reality.

Also as far as the carrier group goes that is helping, that is huge bucks. It costs upwards of 30 million a day for normal operations (this is an old estimate I saw, it probably is more). Relief efforts, and supply usage probably will go up and easily cost nearly double that. So that means we as a government are sending 30 million or more per day. This includes manpower, maintenance, and flight operational costs.

You guys are too much. Nowhere do I say "all the world hates us". I said anti-Americanism is on the rise-which it is. I said foreign countrys hate our foreign policy. I travel and I know people from everywhere. Most the world loves Americans but hates our foreign policy. As for Sweden I mentioned them once because they have a higher standard of living then the US and to demonstrate that hate towards US policy not neccisarily has to do with our wealth. I agree with your post Viriginia for the most part. Americans are adored in much of the world. BTW De Gaulle pulled France out of NATO. They are a NATO country but not militarily

You guys are too much.  Nowhere do I say "all the world hates us".  I said anti-Americanism is on the rise-which it is.  I said foreign countrys hate our foreign policy.  I travel and I know people from everywhere.  Most the world loves Americans but hates our foreign policy.  As for Sweden I mentioned them once because they have a higher standard of living then the US and to demonstrate that hate towards US policy not neccisarily has to do with our wealth.  I agree with your post Viriginia for the most part.  Americans are adored in much of the world.  BTW De Gaulle pulled France out of NATO.  They are a NATO country but not militarily

183021[/snapback]

You stated :

The Scandinavian countrys have a higher standard of living then the USA. Why do they dislike the US so much?

Now you say they adore us, but hate our foreign policy. The least you could have done is waited until another thread to change your statements.

great post BIB- thanks for the info!

BTW Powell just added $20 million, bringing the US relief total to $35 million-

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041228/D878TEPG1.html

183006[/snapback]

Your welcome.

We do do things besides suck baby blood. There are soldiers, marines, and airman that are helping the best they can, as we speak.

I might be biased, but very few know how to give, and to help, like the American military.

You stated :

Now you say they adore us, but hate our foreign policy.  The least you could have done is waited until another thread to change your statements.

183077[/snapback]

OMG this board is unreal. Reading comprehension. You wrote:

They hate us because we have all the desire and ability to earn that much money. They hate us because when we ask for help they spit at us. They hate us, because when they as a country get caught stealing the relief funds and not giving it to the needy they get all pissy.

to which I replied

The Scandinavian countrys have a higher standard of living then the USA. Why do they dislike the US so much?

You are the one that inferred that "they" hate us. I responded to your post and observations by asking why we are disliked in Sweden. I am not saying Swedes "hate" Americans, I am saying they dislike our foreign policy. I certainly did not say "all of the world hates us" as you claim.

Your welcome.

We do do things besides suck baby blood. There are soldiers, marines, and airman that are helping the best they can, as we speak.

I might be biased, but very few know how to give, and to help, like the American military.

183110[/snapback]

Noone has a finer appreciation for our military, their contributions and their unselfishness then I do. My post was never a slight on our military. I do feel Americans are some of the greatest, most caring people on the planet and that our financial foreign aid is not indicitive of that. Our military certainly contributes just as much, if not more then any other country and the world benefits enormously. I was also trying to steer this thread into an observation with wage disparity in this country. It boggles my mind that Sosa gets $17 million this year while we only give $15 million initially and while the Red Cross stuggles for conributions. Its ass backwards IMO

Noone has a finer appreciation for our military, their contributions and their unselfishness then I do.  My post was never a slight on our military.  I do feel Americans are some of the greatest, most caring people on the planet and that our financial foreign aid is not indicitive of that.  Our military certainly contributes just as much, if not more then any other country and the world benefits enormously.  I was also trying to steer this thread into an observation with wage disparity in this country.  It boggles my mind that Sosa gets $17 million this year while we only give $15 million initially and while the Red Cross stuggles for conributions. Its ass backwards IMO

183121[/snapback]

Whatever. I know how things work, which is immaterial to this place.