The USA is stingy

Pete

$15 million is a paltry sum for the largest economy in the world. The Netherlands contributed $2 million on their own. I love my country with all my heart but our foreign policy pisses me off. If you broke down our foreign aid as a percentage of our GNP we would be nowhere near the top. Check out Japan foreign aid consistantly year after year. Japan is truly a benevolent nation. $15 million in aid for a half dozen countrys that have lost well over 50,000 and have had their number one source of industry(tourism) depleted for the next decade. Let put that in perspective. Drew Bledsoe will earn $6 million this year. Sammy Sosa will earn $17 million this year. $17 million for Sammy and $15 million for releif. That makes me fuggin sick!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$15 million is a paltry sum for the largest economy in the world.  The Netherlands contributed $2 million on their own.  I love my country with all my heart but our foreign policy pisses me off.  If you broke down our foreign aid as a percentage of our GNP we would be nowhere near the top.  Check out Japan foreign aid consistantly year after year.  Japan is truly a benevolent nation.  $15 million in aid for a half dozen countrys that have lost well over 50,000 and have had their number one source of industry(tourism) depleted for the next decade.  Let put that in perspective.  Drew Bledsoe will earn $6 million this year.  Sammy Sosa will earn $17 million this year.  $17 million for Sammy and $15 million for releif.  That makes me fuggin sick!

182603[/snapback]

How much did you give?

$15 million is a paltry sum for the largest economy in the world.  The Netherlands contributed $2 million on their own.  I love my country with all my heart but our foreign policy pisses me off.  If you broke down our foreign aid as a percentage of our GNP we would be nowhere near the top.  Check out Japan foreign aid consistantly year after year.  Japan is truly a benevolent nation.  $15 million in aid for a half dozen countrys that have lost well over 50,000 and have had their number one source of industry(tourism) depleted for the next decade.  Let put that in perspective.  Drew Bledsoe will earn $6 million this year.  Sammy Sosa will earn $17 million this year.  $17 million for Sammy and $15 million for releif.  That makes me fuggin sick!

182603[/snapback]

Wow. Except for the sports references, that's almost a direct quote of the UN's official statement today.

It also ignores that there's currently a carrier battle group and an amphibious battle group headed into the Bengal Sea for relief work...not only is that more of a presence than any nation on earth could muster into the region, do you have any idea how much operations like that cost?

For that matter...how much should the US give? What's a fair amount of money to give to the region that can be absorbed by the local economies and used for relief efforts rather than get wasted? I'll bet you haven't the slightest idea.

How much did you give?

182620[/snapback]

I give $100 to the Red Cross every year. I do plan on giving more. I am backpacking Europe for 6 weeks in Feb so I need to budget. I will figure out where I am at and give more

Exactly what I was alluding to in the other thread, Tom.

We give amounts heads and shoulders about what other countries do and what do we get in return? Not a "thank you", but accusations of being "stingy".

182647[/snapback]

Yeah, but you were saying we shouldn't give because others don't recognize it. I disagree. People need help, you help. Congenital !@#$s like the UN diplomats don't recognize it, that's entirely their problem.

What's wrong with the principle of doing the right thing because its the right thing to do? Or failing that, what's wrong with providing humanitarian aid to a region (Indonesia in particular) that, if it becomes any more unstable, runs a real risk of becoming a haven for Islamic militants? Did you ever consider that it's not that much of a stretch that humanitarian aid in this situation is a pretty damned reasonable and cost-effective military tactic?

Wow.  Except for the sports references, that's almost a direct quote of the UN's official statement today.

It also ignores that there's currently a carrier battle group and an amphibious battle group headed into the Bengal Sea for relief work...not only is that more of a presence than any nation on earth could muster into the region, do you have any idea how much operations like that cost? 

For that matter...how much should the US give?  What's a fair amount of money to give to the region that can be absorbed by the local economies and used for relief efforts rather than get wasted?  I'll bet you haven't the slightest idea.

182629[/snapback]

Yes the carrier battle group and amphipious battle group have been hanging in the area exclusively to respond to natural disasters. It has nothing to do with proximity to the mid-east, North Korea or policing international waters-its pure benevolence. You dont find anything wrong with the fact that Sosa earns $17 million to play baseball and our $8 trillion economy can only contribute $15 million? BTW we have only given $400,000 so far- the rest is promised.

How much should the US give? The US should be the leaders in foreign aid and not only give when we have something to gain. If Phuket had oil we would be more generous.

How much should the US give?  The US should be the leaders in foreign aid and not only give when we have something to gain.  If Phuket had oil we would be more generous.

182682[/snapback]

That's completely disingenuous.

Not to mention ridiculous.

By the time we're finished, we'll have outspent other nations by 3-4 fold. Get a grip.

Yes the carrier battle group and amphipious battle group have been hanging in the area exclusively to respond to natural disasters.  It has nothing to do with proximity to the mid-east, North Korea or policing international waters-its pure benevolence.  You dont find anything wrong with the fact that Sosa earns $17 million to play baseball and our $8 trillion economy can only contribute $15 million.  BTW we have only given $400,000 so far- the rest is promised.

How much should the US give?  The US should be the leaders in foreign aid and not only give when we have something to gain.  If Phuket had oil we would be more generous.

182682[/snapback]

Holy misguided thought process, batman.

The government shouldn't be GIVING away a DIME of taxpayer money. If people want to give, they should do so freely through the charitable organizations that'll ensure the money actually gets to the people who need it instead of lining the pockets of scumbag politicos.

Try reading about "Oil for Food" sometime. It's not the exception, it's the rule.

We are FAR and AWAY the most giving society on the planet. Ever live overseas?

Holy misguided thought process, batman.

The government shouldn't be GIVING away a DIME of taxpayer money.  If people want to give, they should do so freely through the charitable organizations that'll ensure the money actually gets to the people who need it instead of lining the pockets of scumbag politicos.

Try reading about "Oil for Food" sometime.  It's not the exception, it's the rule.

We are FAR and AWAY the most giving society on the planet.  Ever live overseas?

182710[/snapback]

How much did you give?

That's completely disingenuous.

Not to mention ridiculous.

By the time we're finished, we'll have outspent other nations by 3-4 fold. Get a grip.

182706[/snapback]

I do whats right and do not concern myself with what others contribute. $15 million is paltry when compared with our GNP. You wonder why other countrys hate the US?

Yes the carrier battle group and amphipious battle group have been hanging in the area exclusively to respond to natural disasters.  It has nothing to do with proximity to the mid-east, North Korea or policing international waters-its pure benevolence.  You dont find anything wrong with the fact that Sosa earns $17 million to play baseball and our $8 trillion economy can only contribute $15 million.  BTW we have only given $400,000 so far- the rest is promised.

182682[/snapback]

I had a nice long reply typed out to this, then I realized that you're too stupid to read it anyway, as evidenced by the fact that you seem to believe that $15M is the absolute sum total of all the aid that will ever be given to the Bengal Sea countries in this disaster.

By the way...neither naval group was in the area. The phib group is being deployed all the way from San Diego, I believe.

182603[/snapback]

Yup and how much have the previous democrat leaders given? I don't honestly know about Kerry's contributions, but both Clinton and Gore have said it is the governments job to aid people and refused to give up any of their own cash. Guess what it isn't the governments job to spend my money any where they want. It is up to respresentives to vote and o what is best for the people of this country. If we as individuals feel strongly we should contrinute, period, end of subject.

I do whats right and do not concern myself with what others contribute.  $15 million is paltry when compared with our GNP.  You wonder why other countrys hate the US?

182726[/snapback]

They hate us because we have all the desire and ability to earn that much money. They hate us because when we ask for help they spit at us. They hate us, because when they as a country get caught stealing the relief funds and not giving it to the needy they get all pissy.

I had a nice long reply typed out to this, then I realized that you're too stupid to read it anyway, as evidenced by the fact that you seem to believe that $15M is the absolute sum total of all the aid that will ever be given to the Bengal Sea countries in this disaster. 

By the way...neither naval group was in the area.  The phib group is being deployed all the way from San Diego, I believe.

182728[/snapback]

Too stupid? I guess you are too lazy to type up that reply and instead need to rely on insults. I would love to hear intelligent responses.

They hate us because we have all the desire and ability to earn that much money.

The Scandinavian countrys have a higher standard of living then the USA. Why do they dislike the US so much?

They hate us because when we ask for help they spit at us.

??? I dont follow

They hate us, because when they as a country get caught stealing the relief funds and not giving it to the needy they get all pissy

How is this applicable to say Sweden?

My question is looking for cause and effect. The root cause why anti-Americanism is growing is our foreign policy

I give $100 to the Red Cross every year.  I do plan on giving more.  I am backpacking Europe for 6 weeks in Feb so I need to budget.  I will figure out where I am at and give more

182653[/snapback]

So, let me see if I get this straight. You are putting your own selfish desires (backpacking in Europe) ahead of the needs of people who have lost most if not everything, while at the same time complaining that others are not giving enough to help out.

So, let me see if I get this straight. You are putting your own selfish desires (backpacking in Europe) ahead of the needs of people who have lost most if not everything, while at the same time complaining that others are not giving enough to help out.

182806[/snapback]

Go ahead y'all and keep putting words in my mouth and distorting my beleifs. Selfish? You can say whatever about me but that is one word that cannot be used to describe me. How do you know the lengths I go for people? You know jackshit about me so quit being so presumtuious. I spoke my opinion which I beleive strongly. We do have freedom of speech in this country- I was exercising it. Anyways I pay my taxes so I do have a right to say where I wish my tax money to be spent. I use my representatives but I also use my voice. I give after tax dollars to charity as well. Fug you for accusing me of being a hypocrite. I travel and like to see the world. If anything I am a great ambassador for the US. I dont spew hate from a keyboard-I embrace other cultures and love to hang out with locals. Democrat? HAHA That is almost as laughable as your "selfish" quip. I hate both partys but particularily have disdain for the democratic party. I didnt realize being moral and benevolent and being concerned for those that have suffered were qualitys exclusive to the democratic party