Eric Wood and Stevie on Jim Rome today

Dan III

Hated Rome when I first heard him, but since I don't change the radio off 550 while i'm at work, i have listened to a ton of him. I will say, the more you listen, the more you start to enjoy him.

This is true. At first I couldn't stand him but then he kinda rubbed off on me.

Isn't this where people also start with the Howard has not been funny since . . . .

I like both Rome and Howard (except when he has what I refer to as the circus acts on the show) to the extent that I have a chance to listen to either. As others have said, Rome does seem to like Buffalo.

I will agree 100% that he does a great interview. The rest of the time when he isn't interviewing is what bothers me. Another poster alluded to it with his 11:30 tease 11:40 tease... I prefer John Ditulio(sp?) and also enjoy the loose cannons and dan patrick.

Dude, Bite your tongue! Ditullio! There have been few worse sports talk radio guys ever, EVER! He's even worse than Brad Davies, which is seemingly impossible!!! C'mon, he does celebrity birthdays and never fails to talk about a "great" Pittsford-Sutherland vs Fairport JV girls Basketball game the night before, on the same day there is major pro sports news. He's awful, absolutely awful. Unless you have a daughter on a local JV basketball team or want to hear how great Penn State is.

jim rome is truly head and shoulders above the competition on the radio. dan patricks show looks like amateur hour compared to him.

caller to dp: "hey dan, rob from louisville, 5'8 240 *ding* just wanted to say i think louisville is going to win."

dp: "thanks rob"

Rome vs Dan Patrick goes to Rome.

Rome occasionally has banter with the engineers but not 50% of the show.If I wanted to hear from perpetually nasal sounding sound engineers and interns, I would listen to DP. I don't get why he feels that he can't carry the show on his own. He is a broadcaster that doesn't sound like he has a sinus infection, that's who is paid to host the show, I would like to hear his opinion not the Danettes.

Hated Rome when I first heard him, but since I don't change the radio off 550 while i'm at work, i have listened to a ton of him. I will say, the more you listen, the more you start to enjoy him.

I used to loath him too. Same situation, repeated listening at work brought me onto Rome's wavelength. Now I see that the show verges on genius. Tears of laughter...the Favre banjo/"I told Percy I'd do this" bit is as good as any radio show I've ever heard. They would just keep adding a little bit as the playoffs unfolded, until it was just perfection.

I couldn't stand the Everett showdown, and thought Rome was a weasel, until he explained that he didn't want to do the interview in the first place, but was basically ordered to do it.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Rome is probably the worst on air personality in all of the world. He repeats everything 30 times and is definetly douchy if that is a word. I hear he is beyond rich which makes no sense to me. Rome and Cowherd can both go away IMO.

There are many ex players with personality and insight who could do his job 30 times better.

Ha. The guy is to sports radio what Johnny Carson was to late night TV. You may not like it, but if there were so many guys that could do it better....well, they would. BUT THEY DON'T.

The "Triple U", is another great concept. Better than Letterman's "Top 10" lists. Lot's of Triple U's on this message board...

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I used to loath him too. Same situation, repeated listening at work brought me onto Rome's wavelength. Now I see that the show verges on genius. Tears of laughter...the Favre banjo/"I told Percy I'd do this" bit is as good as any radio show I've ever heard. They would just keep adding a little bit as the playoffs unfolded, until it was just perfection.

I couldn't stand the Everett showdown, and thought Rome was a weasel, until he explained that he didn't want to do the interview in the first place, but was basically ordered to do it.

the old gunslinger.

lol.

best part of jim rome is he's so respected in the sports world by players and coaches alike, that he absolutely RIPS on anyone that deserves it, and doesnt worry about "losing" an interview.

matter of fact - after stevie got benched against new england, he was ripping on him. and then when he interviewed him about his contract status at the super bowl, he brought up the benching, his antics, and asked him what was up. he puts athletes on the spot, doesnt necessarily brown nose them.

its just funny because everyone (rightfully) criticizes ESPN for a laundry list of things, and jim romes radio show is the absolute antithesis of espn. it's informed, its funny, you can get a good opinion and take on a big game coming up that night. he will put himself out there and make predictions and then own up to being wrong.

lol - last year when he picked buffalo to beat philly in game 7, then had alvie edit it so it sounded like he picked philly. callers like you guys that hate him were calling in so furious. everyone else was laughing. great show.

the old gunslinger.

lol.

best part of jim rome is he's so respected in the sports world by players and coaches alike, that he absolutely RIPS on anyone that deserves it, and doesnt worry about "losing" an interview.

matter of fact - after stevie got benched against new england, he was ripping on him. and then when he interviewed him about his contract status at the super bowl, he brought up the benching, his antics, and asked him what was up. he puts athletes on the spot, doesnt necessarily brown nose them.

its just funny because everyone (rightfully) criticizes ESPN for a laundry list of things, and jim romes radio show is the absolute antithesis of espn. it's informed, its funny, you can get a good opinion and take on a big game coming up that night. he will put himself out there and make predictions and then own up to being wrong.

lol - last year when he picked buffalo to beat philly in game 7, then had alvie edit it so it sounded like he picked philly. callers like you guys that hate him were calling in so furious. everyone else was laughing. great show.

People have to get over judging entertainment by whether or not it comes off as "pro-Buffalo". It's so "small", petty, and defensive. It's not the primary focus of ANY of these shows to "bash Buffalo".

Whether or not they like to say good things about Buffalo isn't a good way to gauge someone's talent.

People have to get over judging entertainment by whether or not it comes off as "pro-Buffalo". It's so "small", petty, and defensive. It's not the primary focus of ANY of these shows to "bash Buffalo".

Whether or not they like to say good things about Buffalo isn't a good way to gauge someone's talent.

JohnnyGold clearly said no such thing. He merely used examples involving Buffalo, nothing more.

Even though Wood and Stevie are great interviews, I would rather listen to the sound of a wood chipper hacking my leg off at the knee than listen to anything Jim Rome has to say.

Best thing that happened on Rome's show. . .when Jim Everett tried to kick his ass.

He's entertaining, don't always agree with his "takes" but he's always interesting.

And by the way, he has always been very positive towards the Bills, and especially the fans thereof . . .

Dude, Bite your tongue! Ditullio! There have been few worse sports talk radio guys ever, EVER! He's even worse than Brad Davies, which is seemingly impossible!!! C'mon, he does celebrity birthdays and never fails to talk about a "great" Pittsford-Sutherland vs Fairport JV girls Basketball game the night before, on the same day there is major pro sports news. He's awful, absolutely awful. Unless you have a daughter on a local JV basketball team or want to hear how great Penn State is.

LOL, I see what you mean about "Tools", but that's part of his charm for the local Rochester folks. He's the Bob Lonnsberry of sports radio here in Rochester. That said, he's not that bad. He does seem to be living in his twenties a lot though with his slang.. "That's good stuff right there", and "Can't get enough of that" LOL. Penn State, all the time, and he relives his college years on his show.. :)

Anyway, he's not as bad as you make it out to be, and can make you laugh out loud sometimes. He does a lot of basketball which to me is the most useless sport on the planet, so I tune out whenever he starts talking about basketball, but I do that with anyone.. :)

Tim-

It's funny to see the divide between those who get it and those who don't. It takes a little while to figure out what he's doing, but when you get it, everything changes. It's like those things they used to have on the back page of the comics. It looked like random squiggles, but after you stared at it for a while, the image emerged.

LOL, I see what you mean about "Tools", but that's part of his charm for the local Rochester folks. He's the Bob Lonnsberry of sports radio here in Rochester. That said, he's not that bad. He does seem to be living in his twenties a lot though with his slang.. "That's good stuff right there", and "Can't get enough of that" LOL. Penn State, all the time, and he relives his college years on his show.. :)

Anyway, he's not as bad as you make it out to be, and can make you laugh out loud sometimes. He does a lot of basketball which to me is the most useless sport on the planet, so I tune out whenever he starts talking about basketball, but I do that with anyone.. :)

Tim-

I live out of the Buffalo market and "tools" is the only person who does extensive Bills coverage that I can hear. I enjoy his program on the way home from work and tend to listen for a bit longer sometimes as I like his takes.

It's funny to see the divide between those who get it and those who don't. It takes a little while to figure out what he's doing, but when you get it, everything changes. It's like those things they used to have on the back page of the comics. It looked like random squiggles, but after you stared at it for a while, the image emerged.

eh maybe... I listened to plenty of Jim Rome. I know all of the jokes, i get the premise but I just don't care for him. To each his own. I don't care for him and others do maybe it's the act I don't care for but he just rubs me the wrong way. I listen to sports talk on the way to work, at work , and on the way home. I find myself many times just turning it off when he's on because he as i've said comes across as a douche.

It's funny.. Someone posts information on two Bill's players being on the radio and people have to chime in with their opinion on the show host. If you don't like the show why comment? Does everyone now feel better because section122 has given us all his opinion of a radio show host?

I swear.. more people should keep their opinions to themselves.. Does anyone care what you think..?? I doubt it. :blink:

Not sure why I got singled out but I will ask... You know this is a message board right? Where people come to post their opinions? Many times topics spin off and you can see I was clearly responding to someone else. Lastly, what exactly does your post add to the discussion other than adding your opinion on my opinion which no one apparently cares about?

I used to listen all the time when I got to drive home from work to eat lunch. The show definitely has good and bad, most of which has been repeated here. However, I think people would complain less if his show was only two hours long which would cut down on the annoying dead air pauses (obvious time stretching technique, it's ridiculous) and the repeating 50x the same sentence over and over...

JohnnyGold clearly said no such thing. He merely used examples involving Buffalo, nothing more.

It was clear to me too. So clear in fact, that I assumed that my post would be understood as me agreeing with him, then expanding upon it. Please forgive me for any confusion.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I would agree that most ex-coaches are solid. Steve Young is good, Irvin not so much. Rose lost a lot of credibility w me over the whole Michigan Duke documentary thing. I've never seen someone act so hood but look so Madison Ave.

To defend Jalen Rose he actually is quite impressive. I listen to the Bill Simmons Grantland podcasts quite often and Jalen does one a week. He used to be pretty hood but now he is grown up and he is opening up schools and doing all sorts of charitable style high brow things. He said if you walked into my house you wouldn't even know i played basketball before.

He can be madison ave or hood which is why i find him entertaining. Give me the Jalen and Herm show I am in. Haaa

I live out of the Buffalo market and "tools" is the only person who does extensive Bills coverage that I can hear. I enjoy his program on the way home from work and tend to listen for a bit longer sometimes as I like his takes.

eh maybe... I listened to plenty of Jim Rome. I know all of the jokes, i get the premise but I just don't care for him. To each his own. I don't care for him and others do maybe it's the act I don't care for but he just rubs me the wrong way. I listen to sports talk on the way to work, at work , and on the way home. I find myself many times just turning it off when he's on because he as i've said comes across as a douche.

Not sure why I got singled out but I will ask... You know this is a message board right? Where people come to post their opinions? Many times topics spin off and you can see I was clearly responding to someone else. Lastly, what exactly does your post add to the discussion other than adding your opinion on my opinion which no one apparently cares about?

You were the first to name call. The post was about a couple of Bills players on a radio program. The typical responses should be things like "thanks for the tip" or "cool I'll check it out". Not some guy spouting comments on how Rome is a douche. Yes I know this is a message board.. It's the culture of the world I guess.. Knuckleheads posting their opinions of other people when they aren't even asked. Haven't you heard the term "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?".

You put out your opinion so I responded. I gave you my opinion of your post. Isn't that how message boards work? It wasn't for anyone else to have an opinion on, just you.