Kuechly, Floyd, or Gilmore

KOKBILLS

Just one...No write-ins...Just interested...  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

I voted for Gilmore. He would add a lot to our secondary as a physical player and also more youth.

I like Kuechly but I'm not crazy about ILB at #10.

I also like Floyd a lot, but WR is deep in this year's draft and we can get one later.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuechly=SOFT

Sad but true.

That write-up doesn't really refute the argument that Keuchly is not a physical player.

Nowhere is he described as a physical player and the criticisms that he's basically another Poz/Fletcher with inflated tackle numbers downfield is never really refuted… the only counterpoint to that criticism is that Keuchly had 12 tackles for loss. That's not the same as saying he's a physical, dominating linebacker.

Exactly this.

3 reasons why I voted for Gilmore.

1. He's a stud first and foremost.

2. CB is not as deep in this draft like WR is. You are going to find great value in rounds 2-5 for a tall fast WR. I don't think you are going to get the same bang for your buck at CB this year. You have a better chance at getting two starters picking cb in round 1 and wr later than wr rd 1 and cb later.

3. I usually am on the bandwagon of not picking a LB that early. Kuechly comes close to being an awesome pick and maybe I would have voted for him if we needed a 3 down MLB or WLB but we need a 2 down SAM. Makes a difference. But I wouldn't be apposed to it that much.

I wouldn't mind Copples still. Having a nice rotation of stud pass rushers for years could be important.

3 reasons why I voted for Gilmore.

1. He's a stud first and foremost.

2. CB is not as deep in this draft like WR is. You are going to find great value in rounds 2-5 for a tall fast WR. I don't think you are going to get the same bang for your buck at CB this year. You have a better chance at getting two starters picking cb in round 1 and wr later than wr rd 1 and cb later.

3. I usually am on the bandwagon of not picking a LB that early. Kuechly comes close to being an awesome pick and maybe I would have voted for him if we needed a 3 down MLB or WLB but we need a 2 down SAM. Makes a difference. But I wouldn't be apposed to it that much.

I wouldn't mind Copples still. Having a nice rotation of stud pass rushers for years could be important.

I'm ok with Gilmore, especially if he looks good today. With the rise of Gilmore, I think Keuchly may no longer be an option at #!0.

BTW, If they don't go WR in the 1st I think they really should bring back TO (on a one year contract) even if they do draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Give Fitz a real weapon and not a real question mark. As I remember, TO and Fitz got along well. The TO talk should heat up if we don't pick any WRs in the first two rounds.

Oh I don't think he's necessarily a physically dominating LB by any means...But I don't think he's a soft kitty either... :o

What is pretty much indisputable is the fact that he has great instincts in the Passing game (Mayock says the best he's ever seen coming out), and he makes a ton of tackles...

I'm not sold on Kuechly being the guy at #10 either...And I'm not saying he's the next Ray-Ray...But I definitely don't think he's real soft...And I think he's a better player than Poz is, was, and will be, without playing a Down in the NFL...I really mean that... B-)

For what its worth:

"Analysis

Read & React: Intelligent player who knows his keys and "feels" his way to the ball. Aggressiveness allows him to be fooled by those keys, like pulling guards, on misdirection and takes a false step forward on play action, but also recovers well and regularly sniffs out reverses and other trick plays to prevent big gains.

Run defense: Constantly around the ball, fights traffic easily and steps into gaps instead of waiting for the ballcarriers. Tracks the ball to either sideline but needs perfect angles to beat NFL tailbacks to perimeter. Anchors and can stick bigger backs with lowered pads. Doesn't have elite size to stand up to NFL-caliber linemen, but regularly rips off blocks with strong hands and can make plays even if initially knocked backward.

Pass defense: Not an elite athlete. Covers some ground in pass coverage and gets good depth in his drop, taking correct angles to stay with tight ends and bigger slot receivers down the middle. Takes time to reach running backs going into the flat. Reliable tackler in the middle zone to prevent yards after the catch on crossing routes.

Tackling: Secure tackler by not a feared one -- plays strong and finds a way to bring down ballcarriers. Drops his hips, keeps his head up to drag down ballcarriers. Makes running backs pay for going out of bounds with a strong shoulder. Occasionally tries to tackle high, allowing the ballcarrier to elude. Relies on hustle and angles, not straight-line speed, to make plays outside the box.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Didn't blitz often and lacks great closing speed to reach the quarterback from the stack. Sure open-field tackler who doesn't miss many once he's in the backfield with excellent tackling technique.

Intangibles: Exceptional on-field hustle and instincts and off-field work ethic. Gained good weight and muscle since arriving at BC. Should garner top general and football character and intelligence grades. Serves as back-up long snapper. "

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664814

For what its worth:

"Analysis

Read & React: Intelligent player who knows his keys and "feels" his way to the ball. Aggressiveness allows him to be fooled by those keys, like pulling guards, on misdirection and takes a false step forward on play action, but also recovers well and regularly sniffs out reverses and other trick plays to prevent big gains.

Run defense: Constantly around the ball, fights traffic easily and steps into gaps instead of waiting for the ballcarriers. Tracks the ball to either sideline but needs perfect angles to beat NFL tailbacks to perimeter. Anchors and can stick bigger backs with lowered pads. Doesn't have elite size to stand up to NFL-caliber linemen, but regularly rips off blocks with strong hands and can make plays even if initially knocked backward.

Pass defense: Not an elite athlete. Covers some ground in pass coverage and gets good depth in his drop, taking correct angles to stay with tight ends and bigger slot receivers down the middle. Takes time to reach running backs going into the flat. Reliable tackler in the middle zone to prevent yards after the catch on crossing routes.

Tackling: Secure tackler by not a feared one -- plays strong and finds a way to bring down ballcarriers. Drops his hips, keeps his head up to drag down ballcarriers. Makes running backs pay for going out of bounds with a strong shoulder. Occasionally tries to tackle high, allowing the ballcarrier to elude. Relies on hustle and angles, not straight-line speed, to make plays outside the box.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Didn't blitz often and lacks great closing speed to reach the quarterback from the stack. Sure open-field tackler who doesn't miss many once he's in the backfield with excellent tackling technique.

Intangibles: Exceptional on-field hustle and instincts and off-field work ethic. Gained good weight and muscle since arriving at BC. Should garner top general and football character and intelligence grades. Serves as back-up long snapper. "

Thanks for that! Good read... B-)

Where was this a week ago...Mayock says it and then everyone else jumps on board. I've always been against Kirkpatrick, and am actually ok with Gilmore if Nix thinks he's BPA

Honestly it's a great question...I'll have to go back to the CB Combine stuff on my DVR to see if I missed something...No question the Kid is a good player though...I think they said 3 year Starter who never missed a Game? Maybe stuff is coming late because he's an early entry? B-)

you should have "none of the above" as a choice if your are talking about 10. If you are talking about the second round, I don't think any of them will be there when we pick.

I wanted to know the favorite between these 3...No one is saying that's who The Bills will Draft at #10...It's a simple Poll...Don't read too much into it... ;)

Floyd all day. He is VJax Jr, right down to the drinking (he's a college kid so hopefully he matures). Receiver is more important than ever and our #2 receivers aren't good enough. Floyd played with a crap fest of QBs at ND and still produced. Fitz doesn't throw a good deep ball but he threw a few that I feel confident that Floyd pulls in that Donald Jones missed.

If we get Floyd and perhaps a OT in the next round, this will have been the most amazing offseason in a very long time.

tough choice right there. I was always leaning towards floyd or kue but... I haven't seen any tape on gilmore, I know jenkins draft stock has rose up alot and is suppose to be better than kirpatrick. Is gilmore alot better than jenkins?

Kuechly is likely #30 on a list of the Bills likely draft picks @#10.

I really don't understand why anyone is discussing him as a prospect.

The Bills will not drafting an Inside Line Backer at #10 overall.

Can I just add, how far Buddy Nix has taken the building of this team that we are sitting here and many people are happy with picking a CB with a top-10 pick. A couple years ago, this thread would've been full of posters climbing onto their roofs, ready to jump if that were our pick.

Gilmore, a big physical corner, above avg ball skills, not afraid of contact, and stays healthy. Pair him with williams and an improving rogers and we got our top 3 corners for the foreseeable future.

+1

I voted for Gilmore. He would add a lot to our secondary as a physical player and also more youth.

I like Kuechly but I'm not crazy about ILB at #10.

I also like Floyd a lot, but WR is deep in this year's draft and we can get one later.

+1 again

That is how I feel.

I know it's conventional thinking and I don't like thinking of myself as a conventional thinker but I do feel this way about "OLBs vs ILBs" just as I buy into the "tackle not guard" argument.

If Keuchly turned out to be as good as Shane Conlan (8th overall) I might be in favor of drafting him.

If he turned out as good as Urlacher I'd definitely want to draft him.

We have no way of knowing how he'll turn out of course so to me, the overall preponderance of evidence says not to draft a MLB/ILB in the top 10.

Yeah I was high on Zach Brown at first but saw some horrible video of him (I think against Missouri) and you could tell that he shied from contact and was not truly physical at heart.

Yes, Keuchly would be an interesting pick and I guess I really have to watch more video on him.

edit: But what little I've seen of Keuchly, he doesn't seem to bring a lot of force.

He doesn't "lay the wood."

A little too much "POZ" in him. He seems to get there in enough time to make A play but not THE play, if you know what I mean.

Where are you guys getting your information to back up the theory that Kuechly is soft? I'd love to see it..

Exactly...

Don't get me wrong...Kuechly is never going to be mistaken for Patrick Willis...He's not a lights-out hitter...He's just not...But he's also not afraid of contact whatsoever...And he's a VERY sure tackler...He's smart, takes good angles, is great in coverage...etc...He just strikes me as a play-smarter-not-harder-type of Kid...There are a million Defenders who try to fly around and make the big hit only to see the ball-carrier bounce off and go for another 10 yards...So... B-)

Where was this a week ago...Mayock says it and then everyone else jumps on board. I've always been against Kirkpatrick, and am actually ok with Gilmore if Nix thinks he's BPA

I was thinking the exact same thing....i posted a few times that Kirkpatrick is not even the second best corner....I am with you, and wouldn't mind Gilmore, but I'm thinking Floyd might have best value for us at 10

For what its worth:

"Analysis

Great read! :thumbsup:

This player is the very definition of what I don't want at 10th overall! :angry: 10th overall is way too early for a linebacker, unless he's a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. Wannestedt rarely blitzes his LBs, so it's not like anyone we take here is going to spend a lot of time rushing the passer. If he's "not an elite athlete" in pass defense--even by linebacker standards--then there's no way he's covering Gronkowski one-on-one. If Brady sees that matchup, this guy is toast. If this guy won't be rushing the passer, and can't cover good TEs one-on-one, then precisely what would he be doing on pass defense to justify 10th overall?

That means it's a choice between Floyd and that CB. Floyd's alcohol-related troubles worry me. It's not as big a red flag as James Hardy's gun incident, but it's a bigger red flag than Eric Moulds' pizzas were. At this point I'd feel more comfortable taking the CB, especially since a shutdown CB is the most important missing piece of the Bills' defense. My main worry with a CB is first-contract-and-out. :cry: Hopefully this Bills' front office is smart enough not to let that happen.