Sean Payton asks Bill Parcells to serve as interim HC

Punch

If true, what does that say about Payton's faith/relationship in/with his assistant coaches? Nothing would make the current sideshow in N.O. more of a circus than it is.

GO BILLS!!!

If true, what does that say about Payton's faith/relationship in/with his assistant coaches? Nothing would make the current sideshow in N.O. more of a circus than it is.

GO BILLS!!!

I think it is more about keeping guys in their place so they dont have to be the OC and the HC. They dont want to give up on the season, Parcells actually makes sense but I doubt he will do it

GO BILLS!!!

Well, his assistant head coach is also suspended which is who he planned to give the job too. That way coordinators could coordinate. I thought they'd stay in house, but wouldn't call going out an indictment.

Edited by NoSaint

It doesn't matter they are going to be done anyway esp with Payton gone AND we have yet to see all the player punishment dolled out.

MANY of the starters from 2009 are gone. No porter, sharper, Hargrove, grant, fujita and then this week they've signed guys to replace vilma and shanle. Will smith, roman Harper, Jabari Greer and sed Ellis are the only 4 still penciled in as starters from 2009 when it looks like the most well documented issues occurred. Im not saying it didn't extend further the last two years but I haven't seen the same documentation to hit a player as 2009.

Jenkins as a rookie likely wasn't a leader that would get hit

I also think the nflpa would fight anything extended or widespread, which the coaches didn't have on their side

Don't think it says anything about the others on staff, its a one year fill-in job. Theres very little chance that the Saints turn around and fire Payton and keep the replacement in because they had a great season. This way you don't have to promote someone to HC for 1 year, then turn around and demote them back and remove whomever they brought in to fill in for the guy who was promoted.

Personally, I think in this case the league should not let the Saints bring in anyone as a replacement and make the rest of the coaches work together to fill the HC duties. What kind of punishment is the team really receiving if they are allowed to bring in someone for one season (position might be attractive to the top guys who are retired and don't want the job full time) to replace a guy who was punished? If the league really wants to set a precedence and punish the team, they should be the ones to name the fill-in Head Coach, "New orleans Saints, the NFL would like to announce your interim Head Coach for the 2012 season, former head coach Dick Jauron! Also, to fill in for the suspended GM for 8 Games, please give a round of applause for your interim GM for the draft and 8 games this season, Former Lions GM, Mr. Matt Millen!"

The assistant coach that was supposed to take over for Payton was also suspended for the first 6 games. They would rather have one person coaching the entire season rather than two for half a season each.

I think it's a smart move. They need an interim guy who is more of the overall manager type, like levy was for the Bills, who didn't run either side of the ball. Parcells used to be a control freak but i doubt he would infringe on Payton's team, and would just run the team while the coordinators did their jobs. They have a veteran team with a QB who can handle the whole offense already, and a DC who was a HC. Not sure Parcells would want to do it, but it's a very shrewd move.

Well, his assistant head coach is also suspended which is who he planned to give the job too. That way coordinators could coordinate. I thought they'd stay in house, but wouldn't call going out an indictment.

Good point. I'd forgotten about his Asst. HC being suspended as well.

GO BILLS!!!

The game has left Parcels behind IMO. It would be a bad move, plus Parcels would never agree to something so beneath him. :)

Also, since when does the head coach hire his own replacement? Isn't that the GM's job, or in this case, the owner?

Tim-

The game has left Parcels behind IMO. It would be a bad move, plus Parcels would never agree to something so beneath him. :)

Also, since when does the head coach hire his own replacement? Isn't that the GM's job, or in this case, the owner?

Tim-

Wasn't the GM suspended too?

I think it's a smart move. They need an interim guy who is more of the overall manager type, like levy was for the Bills, who didn't run either side of the ball. Parcells used to be a control freak but i doubt he would infringe on Payton's team, and would just run the team while the coordinators did their jobs. They have a veteran team with a QB who can handle the whole offense already, and a DC who was a HC. Not sure Parcells would want to do it, but it's a very shrewd move.

Why not Levy, then?

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Keeps the chance of a "coup" with an interim coach looking to keep the job when Payton returns, and Parcells will certainly give some stability to what looks like a very unstable situation. Not a big Parcells fan, but it sounds like a very good option.

I don't think it would happen. Parcells is an ego maniac and filling in for a year would be a joke.

well, the thought process would be that he and SP are VERY close friends. it would be as a favor to a friend. additionally, as he is one of SP's biggest mentors, and a coach that SP came up under -- odds are a lot of SP's practices, and routines come from parcells directly. last, from the saints end, they wouldnt have a coaching controversy when SP returns if the team does well.

there arent many outside hires that would make sense but this one could very likely fit.