Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

Why, did the offense struggle with Hairston in there?

No he didn't but if we had Bell AND Hairston on the same team it wouldn't make sense to have one start and the other back up. Put one on one side and the other on the other.

Thats why when bell was healthy at the end of the year he sat on the bench while Hairston started. When a rookie can come in without a true off-season and look as good as the 3 year pro why should the bills OVERPAY for a guy who cant count on staying healthy.

Now you want to take Pears off the field!!! His play was good all year long.

Like Marve always said if you listen to the people in the stands it won't be long and you'll be sitting with them. But, then again a lot of people around here think they know more about football and football players than Chan and Buddy.

You mean just like how YOU'RE talking like you know everything about football? Do we agree that Hairston is better than Pears? I would hope so. So if we have Bell AND Hairston, the logical thing to do is put Bell at LT and Hairston at RT and still draft a LT project in the draft to back Bell up and if Bell goes down with injury, Hairston mans the left, Pears at right, and the project still stays at backup. All of this is pointless talk though cuz Bell could be as good as gone.

Also Pears played "good" not great. He isn't pro bowl caliber. Eric Wood and Levitre are. Those two guys are 2 solid players we have which is why if for some reason Buddy wants to draft O-line with the #10 pick I say go with DeCastro who looks like a day one contributor. I wouldn't touch Martin, Reiff or Adams with the 1st pick at #10. Pears's position still can be upgraded. Though it would be hard to replace a Eric Wood or a Andy Levitre. Get it?

side note - I'm really glad we got Rhinehart. We're good from guard to guard. We just need to upgrade both Tackle positions.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he didn't but if we had Bell AND Hairston on the same team it wouldn't make sense to have one start and the other back up. Put one on one side and the other on the other.

Also Pears played "good" not great. He isn't pro bowl caliber. Eric Wood and Levitre are. Those two guys are 2 solid players we have which is why if for some reason Buddy wants to draft O-line with the #10 pick I say go with DeCastro who looks like a day one contributor. I wouldn't touch Martin, Reiff or Adams with the 1st pick at #10. Pears's position still can be upgraded. Though it would be hard to replace a Eric Wood or a Andy Levitre. Get it?

side note - I'm really glad we got Rhinehart. We're good from guard to guard. We just need to upgrade both Tackle positions.

Good post. There are two capable LTs on the market right now but both with a history of injuries - McNeill and Bell. It is almost a given that the Bills will draft a tackle in the first few rounds of this upcoming draft. If one of the above signs with Philly/Pitts, it is highly likely the Bills will sign the other and have the draft pick develop. I strongly agree that Hairston may look better on the right side than left.

In short, the OL is of concern. What happens over the next month will be interesting.

You mean just like how YOU'RE talking like you know everything about football? Do we agree that Hairston is better than Pears? I would hope so. So if we have Bell AND Hairston, the logical thing to do is put Bell at LT and Hairston at RT and still draft a LT project in the draft to back Bell up and if Bell goes down with injury, Hairston mans the left, Pears at right, and the project still stays at backup. All of this is pointless talk though cuz Bell could be as good as gone.

No I surly dont, and I dont think I know more than Buddy and ALL the other teams in the NFL who are NOT jumping to sign Bell. But, you must know something about Bell they dont. Or, I guess Buddy is asleep at the wheel and Ralf is cheep.

let Bell walk he sucks anyway we can get one in free agency or the draft

We have tried that many times in the last 10 years and failed. If we have a chance to sign him for a fair rate then we at least have something consistent on this team.

No I surly dont, and I dont think I know more than Buddy and ALL the other teams in the NFL who are NOT jumping to sign Bell. But, you must know something about Bell they dont. Or, I guess Buddy is asleep at the wheel and Ralf is cheep.

No dude. Nobody is saying Bell is the answer at LT. But right now we have Hairston at LT and who else? NOBODY DUDE. We NEED Bell at this point not WANT. The guy knows our system and the whole nine. If he doesn't come back to Buffalo, like I said in a earlier post, "F" him is what I say and we move on. But the fact that we need him shouldn't slip your mind. Pretty much everybody knows we're going to draft at least 1 LT prospect in the draft. What he will turn out to be in the future nobody knows. Buddy wants Bell also which is why they offered him the chance to re-sign. It's in Bell's hands at this point. If the Eagles offer him the world then I don't blame the dude for going there. He got a family he has to think of and he'll have a chance to start there. I believe it's down to Buffalo and the Eagles in the race for Bell. Those are the only places he can start and get significant playing time and be able to showcase himself.

Buddy is definitely not asleep at the wheel (I've always said I love my country boys Nix and Chan) and we can definitely not say Ralph is cheap (nor have I ever).

The Bills made Bell an offer they thought reflected his value and now it's up to Bell to make a decision. While I agree that getting him back would remove LT as an urgent need, so far Bell hasn't shown that he can stay healthy, so the Bills still need to find a backup/future LT (if Hairston can't cut it).

No dude. Nobody is saying Bell is the answer at LT. But right now we have Hairston at LT and who else? NOBODY DUDE. We NEED Bell at this point not WANT. The guy knows our system and the whole nine. If he doesn't come back to Buffalo, like I said in a earlier post, "F" him is what I say and we move on. But the fact that we need him shouldn't slip your mind. Pretty much everybody knows we're going to draft at least 1 LT prospect in the draft. What he will turn out to be in the future nobody knows. Buddy wants Bell also which is why they offered him the chance to re-sign. It's in Bell's hands at this point. If the Eagles offer him the world then I don't blame the dude for going there. He got a family he has to think of and he'll have a chance to start there. I believe it's down to Buffalo and the Eagles in the race for Bell. Those are the only places he can start and get significant playing time and be able to showcase himself.

Buddy is definitely not asleep at the wheel (I've always said I love my country boys Nix and Chan) and we can definitely not say Ralph is cheap (nor have I ever).

So, you also think the Bills should OVERPAY Bell to get him to sign, when you know he is not the answer or really any better than Hairston??? Its simple if Bell wont sign at a fair value draft a potential star tackle at #10.

Yes, I would love to see Bell sign the contract that he was offered. But at this point Bell thinks he is worth more so he has not signed. OVERPAYING to get Bell signed makes no sense. We should be more concerned about Reinhart and Urbik resigning their offer sheets, without them we only have 1 guy in the middle of the line that is healthy and has starting experience.

"if for some reason Buddy wants to draft O-line with the #10 pick I say go with DeCastro who looks like a day one contributor."

Looking at various mock drafts along with watching some of the 'Path to the Draft' features on the NFL network I've come to believe that if DeCastro is there at #10 then Nix is going to take him. IMO, he fits the BPA criteria better than any player that is expected to be there at #10. He looks to be a sure thing/low risk threat to be a Pro-Bowl player at his position for most of his career. IMO, this makes more sense than reaching for need by choosing an OT, although I do like the idea of adding WR Floyd if that's the selection.

I dunno, if you're going to overpay...just a little, makes sense to have that a LT or QB. Bell is worth

resigning, even as depth. Don't grossly overpay but it wouldn't trouble me to be generous.

We have no idea really what the Bills are offering or what Bell and his agent are looking for. My guess is that Bell is looking for a lot more than the Bills are offering, but no team is willing to give him what he wants not based on talent but his injury concerns. Duh.

But with several teams interested, Bell is thinking, probably rightfully so, that the offers will be inching upwards. Not a bidding war, but a skirmish. He's not missing anything by not signing now. The question is whether he and his agent want to risk not signing before the draft. I don't think they are going to do that and they will make a decision soon, although it will be for far less than they had hoped for. It looks to me like the Eagles may not sign him.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass rushers while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

Sounds like good, logical, and sound reasoning to resign him. Problem is; we won't!

Not sure where all the confidence in Hairston is comming from. Maybe with offseason to learn to play the position he will improve significantly, but he struggled mightily imo. Where very limited in what could do on offense when he was in there. I seriously hope he isnt the lt going into the season, or we better have a good backup for Fitz, cause going to need one.

Edited by rstencel

Not sure where all the confidence in Hairston is comming from. Maybe with offseason to learn to play the position he will improve significantly, but he struggled mightily imo. Where very limited in what could do on offense when he was in there. I seriously hope he isnt the lt going into the season, or we better have a good backup for Fitz, cause going to need one.

The offense was imited for several reasons beyond Hairston. Fitz was injured, they (essentially) lost Wood and Jones after week 9, Fred in week 10, and Chandler was nicked-up for most of the middle of the season.

The offense was imited for several reasons beyond Hairston. Fitz was injured, they (essentially) lost Wood and Jones after week 9, Fred in week 10, and Chandler was nicked-up for most of the middle of the season.

Agree that rest of injuries meant he didnt get the help he needed, but the Fitz injury doesnt affect time to throw or pass blocking. Just ment that was painfull for him to throw. If not for the other injuries, te could have played outside him and helped him or guard could slide out and let center pick up his man.

Would much rather see Bell or someone who can man block most DE's good portion of time than someone who needs ton of help myself.

Bell is trying to get a deal to start some where i would guess. With Peters down that just might work out.

He gets the feeling he wont be starting here. another guess of course. wish we could get him for insurance sake and competition to start i am less concerned about money now as us having depth. Also, if he decides not to rejoin us he might miss a superbowl ring!

From rotoworld

Free agent OT Demetrius Bell left his Eagles visit Sunday without a contract.

At this point, it's becoming pretty clear that Bell is pricing himself out of teams' range. Bell has visited the Cardinals, Redskins, Steelers, Packers, and Eagles so far in free agency, and left each without a deal in place.