Buddy Nix GM of the Year?

DC Grid

Winning the offseason isn't worth much from September to February.

Sincerely,

Vinny Cerrato & Howie Roseman

And how many people cite their teams as evidence you shouldn't enter into free agency? As if there's being in UFA or not.

So how did Lee Evans do this year in Baltimore?

That would be Ozzie Newsome's team.

On the surface the Bills seems to be making some good moves. We'll see if they translate into more W's which with a weaker schedule they should. They've raised the bar significantly this off-season.

Edited by BillsVet

Buddy has shown some skill this offseason at dealing with Free Agency - something I was very worried about after last season. Turns out he was just waiting for the right players, and for the right maturity level of the Bills. Now he is putting it all together - and I agree, he should be recognized thus far as one of the best acting GM's. And, I believe the draft is his real talent. Our team has gotten much younger, and much BIGGER since his arrival. Even our backups - on both lines - are big, capable guys who can play!

Another awesome thing - Doug Whaley. He's learning from Nix, and no doubt has a considerable hand in all this. He is going to bring new vitality to the organization when his time comes, and he'll be able to come in and continue with what has been started.

This defense - with the right luck, maybe another LB'er or playmaking CB - could be really special!

In addition to Nix and Whaley, I have to think Wanny is having an impact on the direction we are going. Notice we seem, for the first time in a long time, to know EXACTLY what we want on the D side.

I know we don't want to overhype ourselves too early but frankly, I'm speechless at the success of FA so far this year. Next up: the draft.

One thing I like about the Bills going foward is despite these big contracts we have signed, we will still have contracts to get rid off, possibly next off season that will hopefully allow us re-sign Byrd and Levitre and Wood if he gets healthy. I dont see guys like Merriman, Kelsay, McGee, McKelvin, Dwan and Spenser Johnson part of this team beyond 2012. Thats a nice chunk of money to keep re-signing our own core F/As.

First he resigns Stevie for relatively cheap...you might even say dirt cheap given what some bum WRs got this year. Next he gets THE free agent prize at DE. Then he gets another solid pass rushing DE in his prime (Anderson)...and keeps the guy from returning to New England. And on top of all that he does a pretty decent job of resigning some sinificant role players. If Buddy et al put together another stellar draft this could be the best offseason the Buffalo Bills have ever had.

"Don't tell me about the labor pains..."

So how did Lee Evans do this year in Baltimore?

Um, you do realize that Evans was traded to Balt 2 weeks before the start of a short off season, played in a preseason game that week and was very impressive, then hurt his ankle which affected him almost the whole season right? Its hard for a guy who has never learned the system to come in and develop into a role in the offense when he cant practice or play the bulk of the season and only had a week or so of camp before he got hurt.

Point is, its easy to point fingers and say look at that trade, but I wouldnt write Evans off just yet as someone only capable of what he did last year.

First he resigns Stevie for relatively cheap...you might even say dirt cheap given what some bum WRs got this year. Next he gets THE free agent prize at DE. Then he gets another solid pass rushing DE in his prime (Anderson)...and keeps the guy from returning to New England. And on top of all that he does a pretty decent job of resigning some sinificant role players. If Buddy et al put together another stellar draft this could be the best offseason the Buffalo Bills have ever had.

As it sits right now, he has had an impressive off season with retaining some key players at good prices and landing the top defensive FA and another top available DE. But it is not over, we still need to have a good draft and then see this transition to wins on the field.

That being said, my personal opinion is that he is the GM of the year front runner at THIS POINT of the off season. But there is a lot still to do, and a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season.

If we win 12 games there is a good chance He gets the nod.

Um, you do realize that Evans was traded to Balt 2 weeks before the start of a short off season, played in a preseason game that week and was very impressive, then hurt his ankle which affected him almost the whole season right? Its hard for a guy who has never learned the system to come in and develop into a role in the offense when he cant practice or play the bulk of the season and only had a week or so of camp before he got hurt.

Players in their 30's are more likely to get hurt and take longer to recover when they are hurt. Smart GMs recognize this when players like Lee are on the downward slope and get as much as they can for him. Lee was bad in 2010, looked bad in 2011 training camp and Buddy was smart enough to cash him in while he still had some value.

Impressive in a preseason game? How did he look in the AFC championship game?

Point is, its easy to point fingers and say look at that trade, but I wouldnt write Evans off just yet as someone only capable of what he did last year.

It seems the NFL has written him off, no teams have brought him in for a visit yet.

Evans production has declined for 4 straight years. He was a one trick pony, Go long, shouldnt be too difficult to remember